Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball’s future

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball’s future

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm

I’v heard rumors that the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc for the Dragon Ball Super manga will be the last Dragon Ball plot coming directly from Toriyama himself. Is that true, or can we expect more Dragon Ball stories from him, whether it’s for a Dragon Ball manga or anime?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Akira Toriyama and Dragon Ball’s future

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 am

Nothing I've read has stated whose original idea it was to move into a Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc (Toyotaro's own idea? Toriyama's idea? Shueisha's idea? Some combination thereof? We don't know.), so you can't use that as any kind of... well, anything.

If you ever see "rumor" attached to anything in Dragon Ball, you're best off just ignoring it completely.

As the last ten years have taught us, it would be silly to assume Toriyama would "never" contribute to the franchise again.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 pm

It’s not true, and Toriyama’s latest message said “Let’s meet in my next work” during a Dragon Ball panel at Jump Festa, which may mean that he was referring to Dragon Ball as his next work. It doesn’t seem like he wants to do other mangas and Super having so many loose plots is basically confirmation that Toriyama is willing to write it for still some years.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

The way I interpreted that was that he was working on the story arc that would take place after the Galactic Patrol Arc (Which i believe is a Toyotaro original arc with Toriyama just supervising)

So for example lets say he's currently working on a u12 arc where we meet the first time traveler and the anime and manga will both adapt that arc.