Are the characters younger in DBS Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jedi486

Are the characters younger in DBS Broly?

Post by jedi486 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

While watching the movie, the first thing I noticed was that it said 41 years ago. Then five years later was when planet Vegeta was destroyed. Then when Goku's pod went to Earth the age stopped at 775 and it said present time. Originally the tournament of power took place in age 780 (which is supposed to be before the movie), but when you subtract 780-41 you get 739. But that is the year when Goku was sent to earth. When you subtract 775-41 you get 734. Which is the year at the beginning of the movie. Five years later it's age 739. So is the present now on age 775 and the characters are younger?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Are the characters younger in DBS Broly?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 pm

The AGES that appear on-screen when Goku arrives on Earth are not to be taken seriously. They are just telling you that time has passed without actually giving you a specific date.

However, the "41 years ago" is in fact incorrect and it should be "46 years ago" instead. Nothing has been changed. It is the same problem as Bulma's "38 years old" (and Mai's "41 years old") in Movie 14. We just pretend we did not hear (in this case: "see") them saying those contradictory stuff.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 am

Grimlock wrote:The AGES that appear on-screen when Goku arrives on Earth are not to be taken seriously. They are just telling you that time has passed without actually giving you a specific date.

However, the "41 years ago" is in fact incorrect and it should be "46 years ago" instead. Nothing has been changed. It is the same problem as Bulma's "38 years old" (and Mai's "41 years old") in Movie 14. We just pretend we did not hear (in this case: "see") them saying those contradictory stuff.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 pm

But Bulma being 38 actually adds up. I think what throws everyone off is the half hour special from 2009. That took place two years after they defeated Buu. It was streamed worldwide but it was never released on video in North America so a lot of people didn't see it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Mind to explain how Bulma's age in Movie 14 "adds up"?

~ Day of the Machines ~

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 am

Gligarman wrote:But Bulma being 38 actually adds up.
No it doesn't. Bulma is 16 at the start of the series in Age 749. Battle of Gods takes place in Age 778. You do the math.
Gligarman wrote:I think what throws everyone off is the half hour special from 2009. That took place two years after they defeated Buu. It was streamed worldwide but it was never released on video in North America so a lot of people didn't see it.
How or why would this throw anyone off being able to calculate dates or characters' ages?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 am

Still boggles my mind they screwed this one up...
I mean I assume some research was done on the timelines or maybe all that timeline stuff was straight from Toriyama and they just went with it, without questioning it??
At least, they corrected stuff from Toriyama's RoF script in the anime(specifically Freeza claiming to have met Bulma on Namek), so maybe it too can be changed later on?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Bulma was obviously lying about her age in movie 14
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:30 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Gligarman wrote:But Bulma being 38 actually adds up.
No it doesn't. Bulma is 16 at the start of the series in Age 749. Battle of Gods takes place in Age 778. You do the math.
Gligarman wrote:I think what throws everyone off is the half hour special from 2009. That took place two years after they defeated Buu. It was streamed worldwide but it was never released on video in North America so a lot of people didn't see it.
How or why would this throw anyone off being able to calculate dates or characters' ages?
I did the math. For the record at no point in the series is the year ever mentioned. I'm going strictly off what was stated in the manga and the anime material Toriyama wrote himself. Not fan speculation. Not taking the half hour special into account would throw anyone off because it takes place two years after they beat Buu. But if you must have a breakdown:

She's 16 at the start of the series, 19 at the second tournament, 21 at the third tournament, 26 when she meets Gohan, roughly 29 when Trunks is born, 34 when they fought Buu, and 36 when they fight Abo and Kado. It's never stated how long the interval was between the Abo/Kado fight and when they met Beerus so there's no reason to doubt that it's been two years.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Gligarman wrote:I did the math. For the record at no point in the series is the year ever mentioned. I'm going strictly off what was stated in the manga and the anime material Toriyama wrote himself. Not fan speculation.
Future Trunks, referring to the year Cell came from: "Age 788... three years further in the future from when I left!" That's in the manga. And the latest movie literally includes a montage of the series with an "Age" counter to mark the passage of time.
Gligarman wrote:Not taking the half hour special into account would throw anyone off because it takes place two years after they beat Buu.
Again, why? That's a total non sequitur. The events of Super still begin ~5 years after Buu whether you're aware of the JSAT special or not. The conception and births of Pan and Bra makes the timeframe pretty clear.

Buu is defeated. Two years later, Tarble shows up. 2-3 years after that, Beerus shows up. In what way would someone be "thrown off" by not knowing about the event in the middle?
Gligarman wrote:But if you must have a breakdown:

She's 16 at the start of the series, 19 at the second tournament, 21 at the third tournament
The 23rd Budōkai is three years later, not two.
Gligarman wrote:roughly 29 when Trunks is born, 34 when they fought Buu
Trunks is born the year before the Cell arc so what you're saying is Buu is four years after Cell. It's seven years. I mean come on, if you can't even get that right...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Nope. I'm sticking with my breakdown. You believe what you want Tori Bot.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:07 pm

So your counter-argument is "La la la la I can't hear you"? Well, I'm convinced.

Yeah I'll continue to believe people who can do basic math and back up their points, cheers.
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Gligarman wrote:I did the math. For the record at no point in the series is the year ever mentioned.
Did you though? It does not seem like "you are going strictly off what was stated in the manga material Toriyama wrote himself", otherwise you would know that an AGE is stated in the manga and all the timeline you see in the guidebooks were made based on it. I have done it myself, I made a Dragon Ball timeline basing solely on this brief mention of AGE 788 in the manga and compared it to what Daizenshuu 7 established. Everything was correct (of course, this was all before these new materials/Dragon Ball Super that we have today).

There is no "fan speculation" when it comes to timeline, there is only mistake made by people from the production side that we, the ones who actually know the years, have to deal with.
Gligarman wrote:She's 16 at the start of the series, 19 at the second tournament
Your math gets off right in the beginning. There used to be a three-year timeskip between tournaments, which means 22º World Martial Arts Tournament take places three years after the 21º World Martial Arts Tournament. Bulma is actually 20 by the time the second tournament happens. Plus another three years until the third tournament, making Bulma be 23... She is 28 when she meets Gohan. This just goes on, making Bulma be 38 by the time Movie 14 happens be impossible.

Also, AGE 778 - 38 = AGE 740... Are you are telling us that Bulma is younger than Goku? And that she is actually 9 years old when she met Goku?

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Gligarman wrote:She's 16 at the start of the series, 19 at the second tournament
Your math gets off right in the beginning. There used to be a three-year timeskip between tournaments, which means 22º World Martial Arts Tournament take places three years after the 21º World Martial Arts Tournament. Bulma is actually 20 by the time the second tournament happens. Plus another three years until the third tournament, making Bulma be 23... She is 28 when she meets Gohan. This just goes on, making Bulma be 38 by the time Movie 14 happens be impossible.

Also, AGE 778 - 38 = AGE 740... Are you are telling us that Bulma is younger than Goku? And that she is actually 9 years old when she met Goku?
You're going under the assumption that there was a three year time skip between the start of the show and the first tournament. The time between Goku and Bulma meeting and the first tournament was less than a year. There were only two tournaments after that before Gohan was introduced. By that point there was a five year time jump because they stopped doing the tournament.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Gligarman wrote: You're going under the assumption that there was a three year time skip between the start of the show and the first tournament. The time between Goku and Bulma meeting and the first tournament was less than a year. There were only two tournaments after that before Gohan was introduced. By that point there was a five year time jump because they stopped doing the tournament.
He didn't, read it again:
Grimlock wrote: Your math gets off right in the beginning. There used to be a three-year timeskip between tournaments, which means 22º World Martial Arts Tournament take places three years after the 21º World Martial Arts Tournament. Bulma is actually 20 by the time the second tournament happens. Plus another three years until the third tournament, making Bulma be 23... She is 28 when she meets Gohan.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Gligarman wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

You're going under the assumption that there was a three year time skip between the start of the show and the first tournament. The time between Goku and Bulma meeting and the first tournament was less than a year. There were only two tournaments after that before Gohan was introduced. By that point there was a five year time jump because they stopped doing the tournament.
Nobody said there were three years between the DB hunt and the first tournament. Grimlock just added an extra year to her age presumably because of the eight(?) months Goku and Kuririn spent training.

Even if Grimlock had made that mistake, you haven't explained how that makes the rest of your screwy math add up. You really suck at this.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Nobody said there were three years between the DB hunt and the first tournament. Grimlock just added an extra year to her age presumably because of the eight(?) months Goku and Kuririn spent training.
I have not added anything. AGE 749 is the hunt for the dragon balls and AGE 750 is the first tournament and Red Ribbon saga. What I said is correct, Bulma is 17 in the latter. Keep in mind Bulma is born in AGE 733 and that has not been changed.

~ Day of the Machines ~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Assuming Toriyama came up with the timeline of the movie and it was accepted without getting researched and corrected by the staff, I can see a scenario, where he would end up making this blunder.
In BoG Beerus states he went to sleep 39 years ago and at that time Planet Vegeta was yet to be destroyed.
Thus Toriyama probably just thought that 2 years has passed since BoG, which is consistent with Super and so he came up with the 41 years linking it to Beerus' statement and how the Saiyans were alive back then without giving it further thought.
And maybe he then remembered Goku's old birth Age and arrival on Earth(Age 737), instead of the retconned one and that explains why the counter started at 737.
Well who knows :lol:

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Grimlock wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:Nobody said there were three years between the DB hunt and the first tournament. Grimlock just added an extra year to her age presumably because of the eight(?) months Goku and Kuririn spent training.
I have not added anything. AGE 749 is the hunt for the dragon balls and AGE 750 is the first tournament and Red Ribbon saga. What I said is correct, Bulma is 17 in the latter. Keep in mind Bulma is born in AGE 733 and that has not been changed.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You added the extra year-ish that Gligarman forgot about (the first of many).

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:27 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You added the extra year-ish that Gligarman forgot about (the first of many).
Dude, I could explain it all day and I'm sure you'd still throw a fit so again I'm standing by my original post. With that said, I don't believe Toriyama made a mistake when Bulma said she was 38 and I don't believe the characters are suppose to be younger in the Broly movie.