Dragon Ball: A Visual History, Coming Fall 2019 from Viz

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball: A Visual History, Coming Fall 2019 from Viz

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Just happened across this on Facebook.

Announcement: Dragon Ball: A Visual History coming Fall 2019. A comprehensive hardcover art book featuring full-color artwork, exclusive creator commentary, and rare sketches from Akira Toriyama's iconic series!
Is it probably safe to assume that this is an English release of the Chogashu art book that came out a few years back in Japan, or is this likely something Viz is putting together themselves? Either way, it's nice to finally get something else from them, though I'm still dying for an English translation of the Chozenshu guidebooks dammit. Either way, I'm super excited for this when it comes out, definitely going to have to pick up a copy.

Edit: That's what I get for checking the main site AFTER coming across it on Facebook, it is indeed the Chogashu, woot!
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball: A Visaul History, Coming Fall 2019 from Viz

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Just happened across this on Facebook.

Announcement: Dragon Ball: A Visual History coming Fall 2019. A comprehensive hardcover art book featuring full-color artwork, exclusive creator commentary, and rare sketches from Akira Toriyama's iconic series!
Is it probably safe to assume that this is an English release of the Chogashu art book that came out a few years back in Japan, or is this likely something Viz is putting together themselves? Either way, it's nice to finally get something else from them, though I'm still dying for an English translation of the Chozenshu guidebooks dammit. Either way, I'm super excited for this when it comes out, definitely going to have to pick up a copy.

Edit: That's what I get for checking the main site AFTER coming across it on Facebook, it is indeed the Chogashu, woot!
OMG that's some awesome news right there, and considering how long it's been since they have released anything guidebook related which was the release of the first Daizenshuu back in 2008. It's about time that they start focusing on putting out more of the guidebooks and this is a good start, i am definitely looking forward to picking up this bad boy to go along with my Viz Complete Illustrations.

Maybe this is a sign of things to come, and they will eventually put out translated versions of Daizenshuu's 2-7 and the other guidebooks as well. :thumbup:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball: A Visual History, Coming Fall 2019 from Viz

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:58 pm

I was considering picking up an untranslated version just for the art, but now I don't have to! Holy crap I'm so super excited for this!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:05 pm

KBABZ wrote:I was considering picking up an untranslated version just for the art, but now I don't have to! Holy crap I'm so super excited for this!
Same here, it beats having to pay out the nose for something you can't even read unless you're fluent in Japanese. I'm hoping that eventually Viz will get the rest of the Daizenshuu's as it would be very cool to have translated versions of them as i would rather not have to pay exorbitant prices on eBay to import the originals.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astarisborn94

Post by astarisborn94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm

I want this so bad. At the earliest opportunity, I am buying this. It's always good to catch up on all things Dragon Ball history.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:08 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I was considering picking up an untranslated version just for the art, but now I don't have to! Holy crap I'm so super excited for this!
Same here, it beats having to pay out the nose for something you can't even read unless you're fluent in Japanese. I'm hoping that eventually Viz will get the rest of the Daizenshuu's as it would be so cool to have translated versions of them as i'd rather not again have to pay exorbitant prices to import the originals.
That'd be great too, but that is a great amount of text to translate. And personally, I'd rather have the rest of the Full Colours before the Daizenshuu.
astarisborn94 wrote:I want this so bad. At the earliest opportunity, I am buying this. It's always good to catch up on all things Dragon Ball history.
It is! Also your avatar is adorable.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Same here, it beats having to pay out the nose for something you can't even read unless you're fluent in Japanese. I'm hoping that eventually Viz will get the rest of the Daizenshuu's as it would be so cool to have translated versions of them as i'd rather not again have to pay exorbitant prices to import the originals.
That'd be great too, but that is a great amount of text to translate. And personally, I'd rather have the rest of the Full Colours before the Daizenshuu.
astarisborn94 wrote:I want this so bad. At the earliest opportunity, I am buying this. It's always good to catch up on all things Dragon Ball history.
It is! Also your avatar is adorable.
I may eventually get the Full Color manga volumes myself, although i still haven't gotten all the rest of the regular DB/DBZ manga in their graphic novel Tankobon format.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:18 pm

I've already got the English Daizenshuu 1, so I'm not sure if I'm also going to fork out for this for just a few more extra pictures, but it's nice to see more stuff like this being released in English.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:I've already got the English Daizenshuu 1, so I'm not sure if I'm also going to fork out for this for just a few more extra pictures, but it's nice to see more stuff like this being released in English.
The rest of the Daizenshuu's, GT Perfect Files and the other data books (Forever, Landmark.etc) are the ones i would really want to see get translated and released here by Viz.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:31 pm

I already have the Japanese original, but it's nice that's getting available in more languages. There was a Spanish release too, if I recall correctly.

I'm still hoping for a new collection. I'm sure Resurrection 'F', Super and Broly have enough content from Toriyama for a smaller book. In that sense, Volume 'F' is a nice complement.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Looking forward to it, with this plus the Dragon Quest artwork book that just came out, it's good to see more Toriyama art books getting released.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 pm

BUMP!! The book is now available for pre-order!! https://t.co/DOPwHX1z16

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Interesting that GT is actually there lol

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Goten_jr wrote:Interesting that GT is actually there lol
Not really? Toriyama made some art pieces for early production of that series, and it's one of the many things not covered by Daizenshuu #1 because that was Dragon Ball material from during the original manga run.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Not really? Toriyama made some art pieces for early production of that series, and it's one of the many things not covered by Daizenshuu #1 because that was Dragon Ball material from during the original manga run.
I know but I thought it’s only based on the Original Manga

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Goten_jr wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I know but I thought it’s only based on the Original Manga
No, the art book collects everything Dragon Ball related that Toriyama did from its inception up until 2013 when the book was published. This would therefore include stuff like GT, the Kanzenban covers, the 2009 update to the Tankobon covers, Neko Majin and more.