Looks like Netflix picked up DBZ for the Netherlands (and other EU countries perhaps?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scavenger

Looks like Netflix picked up DBZ for the Netherlands (and other EU countries perhaps?)

Post by Scavenger » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:02 pm

These entries popped up this week in the database of the Dutch classification system Kijkwijzer:

Dragon Ball Z: Season 1 | Age 6+
Dragon Ball Z: Season 2 | Age 6+
Dragon Ball Z: Season 3 | Ages 12+

And for those who like One Piece:
One Piece: East Blue | Ages 6+

All of these titles were submitted by Netflix. As for an ETA... Your guess is as good as mine. Some titles were released shortly after classification, whereas My Hero Academia Season 1 & 2 haven't been released yet in the Netherlands after having received a classification nearly a year ago...

EDIT: If the links are not working, that's because the database entry codes have been changed. Happened a few times already for some reason. The entries can still be accessed via the search bar in the main page.
Last edited by Scavenger on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Looks like Netflix picked up DBZ for the Netherlands (and other EU countries perhaps?)

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 pm

Someone pester them into uploading the Westwood dub (it did air in the Netherlands) so we can get non-VHS rips. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Looks like Netflix picked up DBZ for the Netherlands (and other EU countries perhaps?)

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 am

While you're at it, try to get them to release streaming versions of everything else (Blue Water Dragon Ball and GT, every Big Green movie and special, even Saban Z (ep 1-53) and Edited Funi Z (ep 54-107)) to complete the package.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:16 am

Wouldn't put any hopes on Netflix releasing the Blue Water, Saban or Westwood dubs but rather your typical FUNimation dubs. Just like Manga UK did.

Also, Britain's have had a tough battle leaving the EU but it looks as though they're exiting so they're not a "EU country", however, for the time being they still remain as such.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 am

Danfun64 wrote:While you're at it, try to get them to release streaming versions of everything else (Blue Water Dragon Ball and GT, every Big Green movie and special, even Saban Z (ep 1-53) and Edited Funi Z (ep 54-107)) to complete the package.
Better yet, let's pester them to stream the Ocean dub of Kai :lol: :lol: :lol: . On a more serious note there, probably highly unlikely we will see any alternate dubs on Netflix, they will more than likely just go for whatever version of the series is the most cheap, convenient and easy to license, that being Funimation's remastered dub of Dragon Ball Z.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:On a more serious note there, probably highly unlikely we will see any alternate dubs on Netflix, they will more than likely just go for whatever version of the series is the most cheap, convenient and easy to license, that being Funimation's remastered dub of Dragon Ball Z.
This might be the most likely, but Netflix works in mysterious ways. They will add market sensitive localizations of shows if it makes sense. For example, in South East Asia, the version of Yo-Kai Watch they stream is the Hong Kong dub, not the U.S. one. This actually caused an issue as the Hong Kong dub was temporarily streamed internationally, including in Canada and the U.S. There's a few other shows where Netflix has gone out of their way to pick up variant versions. The onus would probably be on Toei to tell them these things exist, but as Toei Europe is based out of France (where it's doubtful the intricacies of English-dubbed Dragon Ball means anything to them) that's admittedly not very probable.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:43 pm

On one hand, I'd assume it'd be the FUNi dub so that it would sync with a potential japanese track.

On the other hand the age ratings do somewhat point towards it being the Ocean Dub

Season 1 and Season 2 are rated 6+, these two seasons are also the Saban-Ocean produced episodes of DBZ, which had higher levels of censorship. Then season 3 jumps up to a 12+ rating. Which doesn't make much sense as there isn't any higher level of violence in season 3 that would justify a higher rating, UNLESS, the previous two seasons were the saban ocean dub.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Let me guess, "Season 1" consists of Saban ep 1-26, "Season 2" consists of Saban ep 27-53 + Edited Funi 54 (with the footage synced to end at uncut numbering 68), "Season 3" will consist of Orange Bricks or Season Blu-ray remastered 69-122 (covers the episodes not covered by Ocean, plus has the advantage of giving the choice between English dub and Japanese sub), and then the rest of the show will be Westwood Z. Either that, or "Season 3" and "Season 4" will be Orange Bricks/Season Blu-ray footage the whole way round (with the numbering matching the OB "season" numbering) and then the rest of the show will be Westwood Z... still more Westwood than what Canada got back in the day.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Danfun64 wrote:"Season 3" and "Season 4" will be Orange Bricks/Season Blu-ray footage the whole way round (with the numbering matching the OB "season" numbering) and then the rest of the show will be Westwood Z... still more Westwood than what Canada got back in the day.
Well the Westwood dub, contary to popular belief wasn't made with Canada in mind. It was just convenient AB Groupe had another dub available when YTV got annoyed over Funimation sending their masters too late. Hopefully it will be a similar situation here where for whatever reason Netflix sees acquiring the Saban and Westwood dubs as less hassle than the inhouse dubs. I wouldn't count on it, but its more likely than Ocean Kai being streamed at any rate.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:23 pm

thomas1up wrote:On one hand, I'd assume it'd be the FUNi dub so that it would sync with a potential japanese track.

On the other hand the age ratings do somewhat point towards it being the Ocean Dub

Season 1 and Season 2 are rated 6+, these two seasons are also the Saban-Ocean produced episodes of DBZ, which had higher levels of censorship. Then season 3 jumps up to a 12+ rating. Which doesn't make much sense as there isn't any higher level of violence in season 3 that would justify a higher rating, UNLESS, the previous two seasons were the saban ocean dub.
Rating systems can be pretty subjective so that's not something you can really make an assumption what it is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 am

Has there been any updates on this?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri May 03, 2019 10:40 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 am Has there been any updates on this?
Well, if you have a VPN you can surf through the various Netflix catalogues to see if the content is there.

Netflix is pretty good imo but no Daredevil or The Punisher.. just not the same. :|

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 am Has there been any updates on this?
No.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm

lol this is all a little odd to me but i guess the vocal tracks have a diffrent set of rights wtich makes it okey to have streaming rights to it in other regions when someone else already has at least the home rights ? it feels a little like a can of worms to who has what

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 pm

My friend was told by Jerome Mazandarini, head of Manga UK that there were rights issues involved with accessing the Ocean dubs that they hadn't yet figured out. I know we always say Manga UK would never release anything other than Funimation's dubs, but this piece of information seems to suggest that they at least looked into acquiring them at some point.

Were they dissuaded by the cost (which would likely involve hiring out another company to do the DVD authoring) or pulled out due to fear of rubbing Funimation the wrong way. We may never know, but "rights complications" implies there were unforeseen issues behind the scenes of some sort.

As far as I know when it comes to streaming, much like broadcast its up to the service provider (in this case Netflix) as to what dub would be used. I do hope if Netflix streams Dragon Ball in any countries that aired the Canadian dubs they will consider those versions as they have nostalgic value to many and Funimation's dubs are already widely available.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Without knowing about the legal ramifications of this, I'd say it's possible--though not necessarily likely--that the dub audio track that appears on Netflix for the Netherlands (and possible other EU countries) may be a different dub entirely. Netflix has been known to commission new dubs of anime properties even if other dubs already exist. Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix in the US, for example, and it's getting a completely new English dub for that even though a dub by ADV already exists and, for that matter, has existed for quite a number of years now.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 pm Without knowing about the legal ramifications of this, I'd say it's possible--though not necessarily likely--that the dub audio track that appears on Netflix for the Netherlands (and possible other EU countries) may be a different dub entirely. Netflix has been known to commission new dubs of anime properties even if other dubs already exist. Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix in the US, for example, and it's getting a completely new English dub for that even though a dub by ADV already exists and, for that matter, has existed for quite a number of years now.
Evangelion's dub is entrenched in rights issues, though.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat May 04, 2019 1:33 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:16 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:02 pm Without knowing about the legal ramifications of this, I'd say it's possible--though not necessarily likely--that the dub audio track that appears on Netflix for the Netherlands (and possible other EU countries) may be a different dub entirely. Netflix has been known to commission new dubs of anime properties even if other dubs already exist. Neon Genesis Evangelion is coming to Netflix in the US, for example, and it's getting a completely new English dub for that even though a dub by ADV already exists and, for that matter, has existed for quite a number of years now.
Evangelion's dub is entrenched in rights issues, though.
Right, I was simply saying that the idea of Netflix creating a new dub in spite of an existing dub would not be unprecedented for them. In the case of Evangelion, even if they were running into rights issues with the dub, they still could've said, "Well, we'll only release the subbed version then," but they didn't. They were just like, "OK, screw it, we'll do it ourselves," and produced a new dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat May 04, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm not sure there are rights issues preventing Evangelion's dub from being re-released. I say that because the Netflix release is getting new dubs in nearly every major language. This includes Spanish, where the show has already been dubbed multiple times. It's hard to believe they're all covered in red tape. To me, that suggests that Studio Khara wants the dubs to meet their expectations, so they're having them re-done so they can directly be involved. They've done stuff like this in the past. Khara were so unhappy with the original theatrical dub of Evangelion 3.0 that they forced Funimation to do it all over again. Evangelion is a big title, so they can afford to be picky.

Why the recasts? Lots of reasons. Maybe those in charge felt there were better options. There could actually be bad blood between some of those individuals and Khara. As I said, the company is notoriously strict. One of those cast members (who's also mysteriously absent from the Rebuild movies) was responsible for some minor (but noticeable) alterations in the original English dub that didn't sit well with diehards. Some of them don't live in Los Angeles, which is where all of Netflix's anime dubs have been recorded at. Khara, being a foreign company, could simply not care that people like the English voices. See Sunrise's complete disregard for the Canadian Gundam casts and Toei deciding Super's alternate dub should be done by Bang Zoom.

If Netflix only has DBZ rights for Nordic Europe, I doubt a new English dub will be made. Netflix is getting global rights to Evangelion, so it wouldn't be hard to recoup the cost of production.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 am

Still not on Netflix Netherlands, but Netflix submitted a Dutch classification for Resurrection 'F' very recently.