Seeing the success of dbs broly i wonder if...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Seeing the success of dbs broly i wonder if...

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Why do you want to see a live action movie?
I mean, the Alita movie is called Alita, not GUNM or Gally!
Not sure what you're getting at with this point.

I trust that American filmmakers can make movies based on American superhero properties that have some level of grounding to them. DB is so over the top in almost every way.
Guardians of the Galaxy and Aquaman are extremely over the top, yet they’ve proven to be immensely successful.
But there's still plenty of grounding elements. Both are superhero stories with western notions of what it means to be a hero. While what's under the sea has extravagant designs, the surface world is basically ours. As silly as Guardians gets, it's still rooted in the friendships between the team and Peter's love for his mother. DB's designs bare little resemblance to ours and while Goku will save the world, it's not his primary concern. DB is very cartoonish, so let it be a cartoon.

Do you really want DB to be a live action movie?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

I trust that American filmmakers can make movies based on American superhero properties that have some level of grounding to them. DB is so over the top in almost every way.
Guardians of the Galaxy and Aquaman are extremely over the top, yet they’ve proven to be immensely successful.
But there's still plenty of grounding elements. Both are superhero stories with western notions of what it means to be a hero. While what's under the sea has extravagant designs, the surface world is basically ours. As silly as Guardians gets, it's still rooted in the friendships between the team and Peter's love for his mother. DB's designs bare little resemblance to ours and while Goku will save the world, it's not his primary concern. DB is very cartoonish, so let it be a cartoon.

Isn't that basically what they tried to have Evolution be?? Although of course it ended up missing the mark by a country mile and really not bearing much if any resemblance to the series itself.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

I wouldn’t be opposed to a live action Dragon Ball movie in theory. People used to say that LotR was unfilmable, yet we got an entire trilogy of criticially acclaimed films based on those books during the early 2000s, so I don’t think anything is really impossible. With that being said, I’m not desperate for a live action DB film.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Either way, something has to happen. I could definitely see FOX wanting to capitalize on it somehow. There's no way with the numbers Broly's pulling in that bigwigs aren't taking notice.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm

LOTR was considered unfilmable because both technology hadn't gotten to that point until the 2000s, and the books as they are weren't filmable. You'd have to make significant changes, which they did.

As for the success of Broly, it's relative. The film has made a lot relative to what I imagine isn't a huge budget compared to modern blockbusters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 pm

I can understand the appeal of wanting live action OP.

That said I personally would rather keep the movies 2D being that 2D movies is a rarity these days and seemingly in my experience only done by Japan on a global scale.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Kokonoe wrote:I can understand the appeal of wanting live action.
What is the appeal? Because I just really don't see it. I can't fathom anything a live action adaptation of DB would do that an animated move already does. Usually better

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:46 pm

garfield15 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I can understand the appeal of wanting live action.
What is the appeal? Because I just really don't see it. I can't fathom anything a live action adaptation of DB would do that an animated move already does. Usually better
Seeing a more realistic version of Dragon Ball I suppose? Nothing wrong with wanting that.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:28 am

maybe do something like this with Dragonball??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xdGx7Xa4w

a mix of live action and animation and this comes from 20th Century Fox so they have the Dragonball rights Just do it :twisted:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:53 am

Lujin_16 wrote:maybe do something like this with Dragonball??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xdGx7Xa4w

a mix of live action and animation and this comes from 20th Century Fox so they have the Dragonball rights Just do it :twisted:
I mean, that's no more live action/animation mix than any other CGI film, right? The anime facial proportions of Alita are comparable to the big eyes Gollum had back in the LOTR trilogy, which Weta also worked on.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:45 pm

I have hope that we'll one day get a good live action movie. Hadn't seen or read Alita before seeing the movie this past week, but going back it actually seemed pretty faithful. So it is possible. I think they could make a series of films based on the Red Ribbon Army. None of the villains would look ridiculous (accept maybe Cell), and it could show a lot of different sides of DB (maybe start with the Trunks special and go back to DB as a prequel). Similar to how Nolan based The Dark Knight trilogy on specific comics, I think if they tried to take one or two stories to work from instead of the whole series it could be great.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm

The look of Alita is off-putting. It's the uncanny valley.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Damn I’m caught between a “I don’t really care if Dragon Ball ever gets a live action movie as it only perpetuates the idea that live action movies are more valid than animated movies” and a “This whole Dragon Ball wouldn’t work in live action mentality is annoying and would like to see it done properly just to prove a point”

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Damn I’m caught between a “I don’t really care if Dragon Ball ever gets a live action movie as it only perpetuates the idea that live action movies are more valid than animated movies” and a “This whole Dragon Ball wouldn’t work in live action mentality is annoying and would like to see it done properly just to prove a point”
If the last attempt at it a la Evolution was any proof, i mean it was something made by people who really didn't understand much of anything about the series being adapted. Quite frankly if it didn't have the character's names or the title "Dragon Ball" it would be just another generic action film that would be forgettable already as it is, in addition to the crap production it was basically dumped by Fox and totally tanked in it's brief stint in theaters.

I think that has made them hesitant to attempt going to that well again, and so many people poop on the idea of taking a whack at it again as the results speak for themselves.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:11 pm

ABED wrote:The look of Alita is off-putting. It's the uncanny valley.
You get used to it as you go. Mind you I was looking at that face day-in day-out, but it's a lot better than it was before.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:02 pm

If you ask me, right now is the perfect time for a proper Dragon Ball movie.

These days, with superhero movies hitting it big, the big trend that makes all the money -- and thus the big stuff you pump half a billion dollars into and get over a billion back out -- is imaginitive adaptations of weird works broadly fitting into the vicinity of an action genre, that are faithful to their source material, and unashamed of being bright, colourful, with a sunny outlook, but also potentially really damn weird, dark, or depressing when they need to be...

If a more straight adaptation of Dragon Ball was being tried 10 years ago, I imagine in the midst of Batman and Watchmen, with various companies following those kinds of trends, -- even unfittingly pushing that into Spider-Man with its third installment -- they'd be aiming dark, disturbing, and brutalist, probably skipping straight to the encounter with Raditz. And it would have sucked as a Dragon Ball adaptation, whether or not it ended up being a good movie; Dragon Ball is not Watchmen, so doing Dragon Ball as a dark, disturbing Zack Snyder movie would be utterly awful.
Though I imagine if a studio tried this, the Japanese side would turn them away immediately... Then again, Evolution happened...

So, anyway, right now, I could see a Japan/Hollywood co-production between Toei and Disney/Fox that does things right. Disney have plenty of talent from the Marvel side of things, and plenty of other talent who want to be doing that kind of thing, who would be perfect fits; Dragon Ball is a pretty good fit for the kinds of directors Marvel gets, who have a keen eye for comedy, can balance a large cast, ensures characterisation gives the movies a strong core, and of course, can really nail the action.
And it's not like we haven't seen how Dragon Ball could be adapted to movie form; Toei have already done the legwork on this multiple times over, you could literally just take the script from the 10th anniversary movie, Path To Power, give that to a great director, a great cast, etc., put a lot of work into just doing it right in the same way Marvel have done their adaptations right -- which is not to say make it like Marvel movies, what I mean is do to Dragon Ball what the MCU has done to Marvel; faithful, but unafraid of letting the creative guys put their own spin on it, and do things differently for the sake of a better movie, which is basically what Path To Power was anyway -- and you have a winner.

Plus, Alita: Battle Angel is a big deal right now, and whatever your thoughts are on that movie -- I have no opinion yet, as I haven't had the chance to see it -- it's apparently shaping up to be quite successful, so Hollywood is probably pretty receptive to the idea of a big, weird project from Japan like this.

So... I do hope something like this happens. Could be awesome. And presumably if it's a proper collaboration with Toei of Japan, they'd be able to have the creative oversight that ensures it stays true to its cultural roots... And probably casts an Asian Goku this time.
... Maybe also fulfill a dream of Toriyama's and bring Jackie Chan in; have him play Roshi. Not only would that be fun, but it would lead to the best payoff to the "Jackie Chun" joke from the original run, and he could probably give us quite an endearing take on the character who would actually hold up in the modern day, unlike his original anime/manga counterpart...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:If you ask me, right now is the perfect time for a proper Dragon Ball movie.

These days, with superhero movies hitting it big, the big trend that makes all the money -- and thus the big stuff you pump half a billion dollars into and get over a billion back out -- is imaginitive adaptations of weird works broadly fitting into the vicinity of an action genre, that are faithful to their source material, and unashamed of being bright, colourful, with a sunny outlook, but also potentially really damn weird, dark, or depressing when they need to be...

If a more straight adaptation of Dragon Ball was being tried 10 years ago, I imagine in the midst of Batman and Watchmen, with various companies following those kinds of trends, -- even unfittingly pushing that into Spider-Man with its third installment -- they'd be aiming dark, disturbing, and brutalist, probably skipping straight to the encounter with Raditz. And it would have sucked as a Dragon Ball adaptation, whether or not it ended up being a good movie; Dragon Ball is not Watchmen, so doing Dragon Ball as a dark, disturbing Zack Snyder movie would be utterly awful.
Though I imagine if a studio tried this, the Japanese side would turn them away immediately... Then again, Evolution happened...

So, anyway, right now, I could see a Japan/Hollywood co-production between Toei and Disney/Fox that does things right. Disney have plenty of talent from the Marvel side of things, and plenty of other talent who want to be doing that kind of thing, who would be perfect fits; Dragon Ball is a pretty good fit for the kinds of directors Marvel gets, who have a keen eye for comedy, can balance a large cast, ensures characterisation gives the movies a strong core, and of course, can really nail the action.
And it's not like we haven't seen how Dragon Ball could be adapted to movie form; Toei have already done the legwork on this multiple times over, you could literally just take the script from the 10th anniversary movie, Path To Power, give that to a great director, a great cast, etc., put a lot of work into just doing it right in the same way Marvel have done their adaptations right -- which is not to say make it like Marvel movies, what I mean is do to Dragon Ball what the MCU has done to Marvel; faithful, but unafraid of letting the creative guys put their own spin on it, and do things differently for the sake of a better movie, which is basically what Path To Power was anyway -- and you have a winner.

Plus, Alita: Battle Angel is a big deal right now, and whatever your thoughts are on that movie -- I have no opinion yet, as I haven't had the chance to see it -- it's apparently shaping up to be quite successful, so Hollywood is probably pretty receptive to the idea of a big, weird project from Japan like this.

So... I do hope something like this happens. Could be awesome. And presumably if it's a proper collaboration with Toei of Japan, they'd be able to have the creative oversight that ensures it stays true to its cultural roots... And probably casts an Asian Goku this time.
... Maybe also fulfill a dream of Toriyama's and bring Jackie Chan in; have him play Roshi. Not only would that be fun, but it would lead to the best payoff to the "Jackie Chun" joke from the original run.
Absolutely. 100% agree with this.

I can never understand why people say Dragon Ball can't be adapted to live action and that it would look too goofy and silly. The same was said about comic book movies, until recent times particularly with the MCU which has shown much to the contrary that as long as you have good writers, directors, actors, etc etc it can be done right, maybe even bring the franchise it adapts to a much wider audience (not sure if Dragon Ball could ever become as big as it was worldwide in the 90s and early 2000s but if we get a good live action movie and its a hit who knows).

I honestly don't mind whether Goku's actor is Asian or not. The most important thing to me is that we get an actor who can play an over-the-top wacky manchild (or child if they go OG DB).... which Justin Chatwin most certainly didn't. Jackie Chan as Roshi would be awesome though.

Having never read or watched Alita I can't personally comment on what it means for the future of anime in live action, but if what I've heard is any indication I'm cautiously optimistic.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm

My problem would be trying to cast Kid Goku for the first film!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Damn I’m caught between a “I don’t really care if Dragon Ball ever gets a live action movie as it only perpetuates the idea that live action movies are more valid than animated movies” and a “This whole Dragon Ball wouldn’t work in live action mentality is annoying and would like to see it done properly just to prove a point”
I'm 100% on this exact same page myself.
ABED wrote:The look of Alita is off-putting. It's the uncanny valley.
That's kind of the whole point behind the character in general. Alita/Gally is an almost entirely artificial cyborg shell: there's VERY little of her that's actually organic. She SHOULD have an unsettling, doll-like "uncanny valley" aspect to her: even in the original manga/anime, there's supposed to be an "otherness" to her (and to a good number of the other cyborg characters in general) that both distinguishes and alienates her from the rest of humanity. It plays a lot into the usual cyberpunk themes regarding "flesh vs metal" that permeates Battle Angel/Gunnm in general.

Put it this way: if ever there was a totally justified narrative/character-based purpose for the unnatural "uncanny valley" quality of CGI renditions of human features, then its undoubtedly for a character like this one:

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Fair enough, but based on that picture, I imagine a live action version being something similar to Westworld when we the hosts' head and face over the cyborg endoskeleton. In Alita, it looks animated. I've only seen the trailer and the look doesn't appeal to me, nor does the subject matter.