Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 pm

This is mostly a general opinion topic of the personal preference/your mileage may vary category depending on what you personally have and value in regards to the many Dragon Ball home video releases that have come out over time on DVD and Blu-Ray from FUNimation. Anyways, feel free to post on what your own views on this is from a viewpoint of the things about particular releases that best suits you from a collecting perspective.

Note: This largely applies to the OG era of the franchise, though i will technically include Kai in the mix as well seeing as it is essentially the same thing as Z just recut and largely stripped of filler.

As for myself personally i would break it down like this for what i personally own now.

Dragon Ball: Blue Bricks

DBZ: Dragon Boxes

GT: Singles

DB Movies: Movie 4 pack and Movie 2 single (To account for awful frame rate issue on the 4 pack's version)

Z Movies: Split singles and movie packs (Note: I plan to eventually get the rest of the singles along with the third Z movie pack to have all the movies in both fullscreen and widescreen)

Z/GT Specials: Singles

Kai: Parts 1-4 (Yamamoto) 5-8 (Kikuchi)
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Dragon Ball - Saga Sets (DVD)
Dragon Ball Movies - 4x3 AR HD Remastered (BD/Digital)
Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Box (DVD) / Levels 1.1 & 1.2 (BD)
Dragon Ball Z Movies - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z TV Specials - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball GT - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball GT TV Special - Single (DVD)
Dragon Ball Kai - Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) / Parts 1-4 (BD)

It's far from perfect but for Western Dragon Ball home media releases, I'd say they're really good.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Dragon Ball - Saga Sets (DVD)
Dragon Ball Movies - 4x3 AR HD Remastered (BD/Digital)
Dragon Ball Z - Dragon Box (DVD) / Levels 1.1 & 1.2 (BD)
Dragon Ball Z Movies - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball Z TV Specials - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball GT - Singles (DVD)
Dragon Ball GT TV Special - Single (DVD)
Dragon Ball Kai - Seasons 1 & 2 (DVD) / Parts 1-4 (BD)

It's far from perfect but for Western Dragon Ball home media releases, I'd say they're really good.
That sounds like a pretty reasonable setup as far as the DB releases here in the States, it is fairly similar to what i had listed above other than me not owning the Level Blu-Rays and having the Blue Bricks instead of the Saga collections for the original DB though i am actually considering getting them at some point in the future.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm

Dragon Ball: Blue Bricks, for sure. They’re just so convenient. I’m sure they’re far from perfect in the eyes of the super fans, but I don’t have any issues with the picture/colors.

DBZ: Blu-Ray Seasons. This was a super tough choice, because I absolutely love my Singles collection. However, I have all the singles on VHS. So #1. I can’t watch it Japanese and #2. Some of the tapes have had bad audio dropout issues in the past. Anytime I do a watch through of the tapes, I replace the problematic ones as I spot them.

GT: Singles. For no reason other than having the horrible rap intro if I want it. Gotta love nostalgia.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Dragon Ball: Blue Bricks, for sure. They’re just so convenient. I’m sure they’re far from perfect in the eyes of the super fans, but I don’t have any issues with the picture/colors.

DBZ: Blu-Ray Seasons. This was a super tough choice, because I absolutely love my Singles collection. However, I have all the singles on VHS. So #1. I can’t watch it Japanese and #2. Some of the tapes have had bad audio dropout issues in the past. Anytime I do a watch through of the tapes, I replace the problematic ones as I spot them.

GT: Singles. For no reason other than having the horrible rap intro if I want it. Gotta love nostalgia.

DB: Same with me, they may not be perfect but i think they're good releases for what they are. Though these lack the Japanese title cards that the earlier Saga sets had at least the remastering was done a lot better than the previous Z bricks were done.

DBZ: I am a videophile in this case so the Dragon Boxes were the definite way to go for me even with being the most pricey option, though personally i feels it's so worth it having the show in an actual properly done remaster with the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

GT: I went with the singles as well, and that is primarily because it's the only release here to have the proper complete presentation of the Japanese version with OP/ED credits and next episode previews that you just don't get with the Green Bricks. It is the closest thing we have ever had to a GT Dragon Box here, even with the encoding issues that mostly occur during fast paced action scenes.

User avatar
TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 pm

Dragon Ball: Blue Bricks. I meant what can you go wrong 4x3, uncut, and convenient to get. They have a few problems such as the zoomed in, the colors are a little off, those classic NEPs and Japanese title cards are gone but those problems are small in comparison to Funimation's other releases *Cough Cough*

Dragon Ball Z: Kai Season Sets on Blu-Ray(I know it's technically cheating) and the Level Sets because those are the only 2 decent releases from Funimation recently...or the Dragon Ball Z Season Set Blu Rays to be realistic. If you are rich, just go for the Dragon Box. What can I say at this point.

Dragon Ball GT: Green Bricks. Good for a consistent release and the English Dub without the original music is unbearable. I know the Singles are a complete release for the most part but the fact that it's a lot harder to track down makes it less worth it.

Movies: Pioneer 4x3 Uncut Singles and the 16x9 Uncut Movie Packs (Get the Single for Dragon Ball Movie 2). Gives you the made for cropping intended movies which isn't as bad as the terrible Orange Bricks while still enjoying the great Pioneer dub.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

User avatar
SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 am

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:39 am

Dragon Ball - Blue Bricks (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball Movies - Singles (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball Z - Singles (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball Z Movies - Singles (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball Z TV Specials - Singles (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball GT - Singles (DVD) FUNimation Dub
Dragon Ball GT TV Special - Single (DVD) FUNimation Dub

User avatar
TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by TenshinFan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 am

DB- saga sets
Z- orange bricks
GT- singles
Movies- steelbooks

User avatar
Kuwabara
Regular
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 am

For Z, the best sets are the Level Blu-rays. For general viewing, I like the Funi single releases and/or Dragon Boxes. Dragon Boxes have better encoding overall, but I prefer the colors of the singles more. I also appreciate the inclusion of the Faulconer track.

With Dragon Ball and GT, I can either watch the original releases or the Seasons, though the original releases for Dragon Ball have some really noticeable compression that I'm not too keen about.

For the movies, both release styles have issues, but the Funi Blu-rays manage to turn out better overall.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

Dragon Ball: DB Recut (Fan edit using Dragon Box Footage).

Dragon Ball Z: If I ever do watch this over Kai, Level Sets for season 1, Funi Blu-Ray sets for seasons 2 - 6, orange bricks for seasons 7 - 9.

Dragon Ball GT: I own the Green Bricks, but ideally a color corrected Dragon box would be my preferred method to ever watch this.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Standard Blu-ray rips for parts 1 - 4, Blu-ray rips with the Yamamoto revival project for parts 5 - 8, Color Corrected Blu-ray Rips of Kai TFC(and in case of the english dub, fixes the 5.1 audio mix as well).

TV specials: 720p HDTV rip TOEI 2018 remaster for the Bardock Special, color corrected Dragon Box for the Future Trunks special, and any release really for the GT special(they all look like crap).

Movies: Amazon rips of the 2018 TOEI 1080p remasters.

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 pm

As far as what I'm personally going with.

Dragon Ball: The older two disc Saga sets. I don't like the blurry filter remastering Funi did for the blue brick sets and while the encoding quality on these older dvds isn't as good, I think the sharpness of them makes up for it. Only thing that sucks is that the first 13 episodes weren't ever released that way in the US.

Dragon Ball Z: Mix between the Dragon Boxes and the Kai blu-rays.

GT: I just got the green brick complete series set for this one and called it a day. Can't be bothered to track down 20 individual discs for this show and the English dub with Japanese score would be my preferred way of watching the series anyway.

Movies: Hopefully the new remasters Toei made last year will make their way on blu-ray over here soon but in the meantime, the older blu-rays Funi did for the Z movies are good enough.

Super: The sets Funi are releasing now. Not like anything else exists nor do they need improving in any way quality wise.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:50 am

SqueakyBoots wrote:As far as what I'm personally going with.

Dragon Ball: The older two disc Saga sets. I don't like the blurry filter remastering Funi did for the blue brick sets and while the encoding quality on these older dvds isn't as good, I think the sharpness of them makes up for it. Only thing that sucks is that the first 13 episodes weren't ever released that way in the US.

Dragon Ball Z: Mix between the Dragon Boxes and the Kai blu-rays.

GT: I just got the green brick complete series set for this one and called it a day. Can't be bothered to track down 20 individual discs for this show and the English dub with Japanese score would be my preferred way of watching the series anyway.

Movies: Hopefully the new remasters Toei made last year will make their way on blu-ray over here soon but in the meantime, the older blu-rays Funi did for the Z movies are good enough.

Super: The sets Funi are releasing now. Not like anything else exists nor do they need improving in any way quality wise.
Actually Toei Blu-rays of Super do exist.

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

ZodaEX wrote:Actually Toei Blu-rays of Super do exist.
Was speaking strictly US releases. And I'm sure the video quality (Beisdes Japanese titles and credits) is near identical being that Super is a new digitally animated series.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:48 am

SqueakyBoots wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:Actually Toei Blu-rays of Super do exist.
Was speaking strictly US releases. And I'm sure the video quality (Beisdes Japanese titles and credits) is near identical being that Super is a new digitally animated series.
Oh, well then you should have said so in the first place. I'm not a mind reader, not is anyone else who reads this forum.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:39 am

I hesitate to answer this, because at this point I'm fairly sure Toei is putting out a new release sometime soon that will trounce everything released so far...

But...

DB - Saga DVDs. Honestly, both DVD releases of DB are totally fine, this one just has slightly better video quality, the original title cards, etc. Though they are more expensive, and less practical to buy in general. Not really worth the upgrade for the money. For subbed viewing, the Australian or British repackaged Australian version of DB 1-13 have to be used, as the USA Saga DVDs of those episodes were dub-only, using the 1995 BLT dub, though for dubbed viewing, that is preferable to me.
'Course, if you're British like me, this is the standard, cheapest release anyway, though then you have to deal with the authoring problem in Japanese "Season 3" somehow. :problem:

Z - Dragon Boxes or DVD singles. Controversial opinion: If the Ultimate Uncut DVD singles had covered all of the first 67 episodes(Maybe 68 so the problem with the OG dub 54 weirdness doesn't screw things up), the singles would be the best release for people to get. The Dragon Boxes are nice, but the colours are screwed up, the dub is the Frankendub(As in, the weird redub with the screwy sound mixing, wrong takes, incorrect effects, some missing lines, etc.) with the 5.1 Kikuchi mix(Yes, Kikuchi is the far better score, but the dub was designed to be seen with its replacement score, and really doesn't gel that well with the Kikuchi score, the way they dubbed it), and there are no dubtitles for hard of hearing. The DVD singles, meanwhile, contain the OG Funi dub, with their intended replacement score(Even all the modern DVDs that include the US score get this wrong, with some of the score being arbitrarily rearranged due to mastering errors), and have dubtitles for the hard of hearing, and just like DBoxes, they contain the original title cards for the Japanese+subs track, as well as having the neat bonus of the dub title cards too if you're watching dubbed(DBoxes did not have the dub title cards), and the original dub OPs/EDs(None of the re-releases of Z after the singles use the intended dub OP/ED, even if you select the original US score track).
The only problem is the fact that the DVD singles don't cover episodes 1-67... But if you're watching dubbed, I honestly would say you're better off watching the original Saban dub for the first two seasons anyway, because that was the intended experience. You're getting a censored, butchered dub whatever you do, so you might as well at least watch the dub as it was intended and originally produced, with the cast and music change from 67 to 68/53 to 54 being one of a new cast attempting to follow on from the previous one, rather than regressing to an earlier, less-experienced period of the same cast. So, for dub viewing, it has to be the original DVD singles. I personally would then like to switch to the Westwood dub starting from the Trunks saga, but of course, that has no DVD release.
For sub viewing, either is fine, though it does have to be DBox for 1-67.

GT - DVD Singles. The dub sucks, so I'm not factoring that into my decision. Compared to the seasons, the singles contain the original title cards, the NEPs, and have better video. Naturally, the seasons are less expensive and generally more practical to buy, but I mentioned the DBoxes for Z, so I don't think expense and practicality factor in here. :lol:
If any release sometime includes the Blue Water dub of GT, that would overtake as my ideal release; partially for nostalgia, partially for being the first release to contain the good dub of GT.

All the movies except DB 1, 3, and 4 (Unless watching dubbed, in which case DB 1 should be included): Original DVD singles. Generally solid releases, and all in 4:3. OG DB's modern releases are generally strictly better(In 4:3, in HD, generally visuals, 1 isn't the dub-only, cut 1995 version from Trimark & BLT, even though the 1995 version is my preferred dub viewing option for that movie), but they screwed up the mastering of 2, so we go with the perfectly fine original DVD single.
And to be clear, I'm referring to the original DVD singles, so that's the Pioneer release of Z movies 1-3. Video on Ultimate Uncut was a little nicer, but the Pioneer dub of these movies is preferable to Funi's, and while it doesn't use Simmons' subs -- the subs on the Pioneer DVDs were done by someone called Rika Takahashi -- the Pioneer subs are perfectly fine, and I don't really have a preference for either sub version; the differences are all just in phrasing, so it really doesn't matter which you see.
For dub viewing, the DVD single of DB 1 on its own isn't necessary for Brits or Australians, as the UK and Australian DVDs of the first Saga/season of DB contains the 1995 dub of that first movie.

DB 1, 3, and 4 (Unless watching dubbed, in which case DB 1 should be the older release): Modern Funi master, either streamed or from DVD. The DVD version is a bit rough-looking, but the HD versions are not to be argued with. Generally just very nice. No complaints.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 am

Robo4900 wrote:I hesitate to answer this, because at this point I'm fairly sure Toei is putting out a new release sometime soon that will trounce everything released so far...

But...

DB - Saga DVDs. Honestly, all three DVD releases of DB are totally fine, this one just has better video quality, the original title cards, etc. Though they are more expensive, and less practical to buy in general. For subbed viewing, the Australian or British repackaged Australian version of DB 1-13 have to be used, as the USA Saga DVDs of those episodes were dub-only, using the 1995 BLT dub, though for dubbed viewing, that is preferable to me.

Z - Dragon Boxes or DVD singles. Controversial opinion: If the Ultimate Uncut DVD singles had covered all of the first 67 episodes(Maybe 68 so the problem with the OG dub 54 weirdness doesn't screw things up), the singles would be the best release for people to get. The Dragon Boxes are nice, but the colours are screwed up, the dub is the Frankendub(As in, the weird redub with the screwy sound mixing, wrong takes, incorrect effects, some missing lines, etc.) with the 5.1 Kikuchi mix(Yes, Kikuchi is the far better score, but the dub was designed to be seen with its replacement score, and really doesn't gel that well with the Kikuchi score, the way they dubbed it), and there are no dubtitles for hard of hearing. The DVD singles, meanwhile, contain the OG Funi dub, with their intended replacement score, and have dubtitles for the hard of hearing, and just like DBoxes, they contain the original title cards for the Japanese+subs track, as well as having the neat bonus of the dub title cards too if you're watching dubbed(DBoxes did not have the dub title cards), and the original dub OPs/EDs(All re-releases of Z use a different OP/ED on the dub, even if you select the original US score track).
The only problem is the fact that the DVD singles don't cover episodes 1-67... But if you're watching dubbed, I honestly would say you're better off watching the original Saban dub for the first two seasons anyway, because that was the intended experience. You're getting a censored, butchered dub whatever you do, so you might as well at least watch the dub as it was intended and originally produced. So, for dub viewing, it has to be the original DVD singles. I personally would then like to switch to the Westwood dub starting from the Trunks saga, but of course, that has no DVD release.
For sub viewing, either is fine, though it does have to be DBox for 1-67.

GT - DVD Singles. The dub sucks, so I'm not factoring that into my decision. Compared to the seaosns, the singles contain the original title cards, the NEPs, and have better video. Naturally, the seasons are less expensive and generally more practical to buy, but I mentioned the DBoxes for Z, so I don't think expense and practicality factor in here. :lol:

All the movies except DB 1, 3, and 4 (Unless watching dubbed, in which case DB 1 is included here): Original DVD singles. Generally solid releases, and all in 4:3. OG DB's modern releases are generally strictly better(In 4:3, in HD, generally visuals, 1 isn't the dub-only, cut 1995 version from Trimark & BLT, even though the 1995 version is my preferred dub viewing option for that movie), but they screwed up the mastering of 2, so we go with the perfectly fine original DVD single.
DB 1, 3, and 4 (Unless watching dubbed, in which case DB 1 is not included here): Modern Funi master, either streamed or from DVD. The DVD version is a bit rough-looking, but the HD versions are not to be argued with. Generally just very nice. No complaints.

This topic is mostly for existing releases until supposedly better ones come along, so now i'll take a whack at showing my reasoning for the releases that i have in my collection.


DB: Blue Bricks- Quite honestly, even though they don't have the Japanese title cards that the old Saga sets do i still think they are perfectly acceptable releases for what they are. Not to mention they are certainly much easier to get your hands on from a collecting standpoint given that some of the Sagas have gotten more pricey these days and moreover it has the first 13 episodes aka Pilaf/Hunt for Dragon Balls arc uncut which wasn't previously available in the States due to the sublicense thing with Lionsgate (previously Kidmark/Trimark) for the edited dub versions of said episodes that went unresolved until 2009, and given the only release to have them was the Australian and now UK release which came a while after the Bricks were already long out.


DBZ: Dragon Boxes- Purely because i wanted a good 4:3 release since the old singles are not available in a consistent 1-291 uncut format, primarily because of the Ultimate Uncut Edition's unfortunate under the radar cancellation. I also like that it is the only time that FUNimation has released the show with the complete package of the Japanese presentation with the original versions of the next episode previews that had never been on any of their other releases, and personally the partial redub dub track with Kikuchi score really doesn't bother me because i don't really have too much of a nostalgic attachment to the Team Faulconer replacement music. Most of the time when watching them it will be with the Japanese track although occasionally i'll switch over but for most of my viewing Z in English the primary choice is with Kai.


GT: Singles- Hands down the better release as far as subbed viewing of GT goes, and is actually the complete package of the Japanese version of the show with all elements intact. It also helps that i don't really care too much for the dub, so that original dubbed version included on the singles with the terrible Step into the Grand Tour rap song really has no inherent value to me.


DB/Z OG Movies: Singles/Movie packs- For the original series movies i have a combination of the four pack release to get movies 1,3, and 4 as well as the old single release of Sleeping Princess to account for the god awful frame rate butchering on the remastered release, as for the Z movies i am collecting both the old singles and movie packs to have them all in both fullscreen and widescreen based upon which aspect ration i am feeling like watching them in whether dubbed or subbed. As far as Z movies 1-3 go, i might just get both the old FUNi/Pioneer releases exclusively for the Ocean Group dubbed versions and the later Ultimate Uncut releases for the Japanese versions of each.


Z/GT Specials: Singles- I got the old singles since especially in the case of the Bardock and Trunks specials for the original aspect ratio, since the double feature and singles based on them are faux widescreen like the Orange Bricks. With the Goku Jr. it is mostly since it matches the other GT singles and unless i am mistaken the audio is cleaner there as opposed to the version included on the Green Brick sets.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:and moreover it has the first 13 episodes aka Pilaf/Hunt for Dragon Balls arc uncut which wasn't previously available in the States due to the sublicense thing with Lionsgate (previously Kidmark/Trimark) for the edited dub versions of said episodes that went unresolved until 2009, and given the only release to have them was the Australian and now UK release which came a while after the Bricks were already long out.
I will note that uncut is only an advantage for the fact you can see it in Japanese, and the idea of having one consistent cast for the dub. BLT's dub of those first 13 episodes are quite significantly more accurate than Funi's dub despite being cut and having a replacement score, and Funi's dub overall is still really heavily censored despite being "Uncut"...
Same kind of goes for their dub of the first DB movie, though Funi's scripting on that movie was much messier than their scripting on the series was, but the casting was better, but unlike BLT DB 1 it doesn't gel at all with the Funi dubs of movies 2 or 3, but there's also the Harmony Gold dub to contend with, which is more accurate than either other dub, but isn't available on home video, and has weird naming shenanigans, but it does have the original score unlike BLT... :crazy:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Z/GT Specials: Singles- I got the old singles since especially in the case of the Bardock and Trunks specials for the original aspect ratio, since the double feature and singles based on them are faux widescreen like the Orange Bricks. With the Goku Jr. it is mostly since it matches the other GT singles and unless i am mistaken the audio is cleaner there as opposed to the version included on the Green Brick sets.
Oh yeah, I forgot Funi's mastering of the Z specials was just as bad as the series for the post-single releases. :lol:

I don't actually know the situation with the brick version of the GT special. Its only video master is the original videotape master(For some reason, unlike the rest of GT, Toei decided to just reuse the original videotape master instead of rescanning the original film elements of the GT special, when assembling the Dragon Box. So, while Funi were given the Dragon Box masters for all of GT, they were given the DBox transfer of the videotape version of the GT special), which includes the original, high-quality stereo mix of the Japanese track, so I would presume Funi used that on their release for the bricks as well as the singles, thus making them the same... Though they may have done some filtering for the brick release to degrade the visual quality? Though there's no grain on this special anyway due to how blurry and soft the image is overall, so Funi may have not bothered with any filtering...
I really have no clue.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:and moreover it has the first 13 episodes aka Pilaf/Hunt for Dragon Balls arc uncut which wasn't previously available in the States due to the sublicense thing with Lionsgate (previously Kidmark/Trimark) for the edited dub versions of said episodes that went unresolved until 2009, and given the only release to have them was the Australian and now UK release which came a while after the Bricks were already long out.
I will note that uncut is only an advantage for the fact you can see it in Japanese, and the idea of having one consistent cast for the dub. BLT's dub of those first 13 episodes are quite significantly more accurate than Funi's dub despite being cut and having a replacement score, and Funi's dub overall is still really heavily censored despite being "Uncut"...
Same kind of goes for their dub of the first DB movie, though Funi's scripting on that movie was much messier than their scripting on the series was, but the casting was better, but unlike BLT DB 1 it doesn't gel at all with the Funi dubs of movies 2 or 3, but there's also the Harmony Gold dub to contend with, which is more accurate than either other dub, but isn't available on home video, and has weird naming shenanigans, but it does have the original score unlike BLT... :crazy:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Z/GT Specials: Singles- I got the old singles since especially in the case of the Bardock and Trunks specials for the original aspect ratio, since the double feature and singles based on them are faux widescreen like the Orange Bricks. With the Goku Jr. it is mostly since it matches the other GT singles and unless i am mistaken the audio is cleaner there as opposed to the version included on the Green Brick sets.
Oh yeah, I forgot Funi's mastering of the Z specials was just as bad as the series for the post-single releases. :lol:

I don't actually know the situation with the brick version of the GT special. Its only video master is the original videotape master(For some reason, unlike the rest of GT, Toei decided to just reuse the original videotape master instead of rescanning the original film elements of the GT special, when assembling the Dragon Box. So, while Funi were given the Dragon Box masters for all of GT, they were given the DBox transfer of the videotape version of the GT special), which includes the original, high-quality stereo mix of the Japanese track, so I would presume Funi used that on their release for the bricks as well as the singles, thus making them the same... Though they may have done some filtering for the brick release to degrade the visual quality? Though there's no grain on this special anyway due to how blurry and soft the image is overall, so Funi may have not bothered with any filtering...
I really have no clue.
As far as the DB season sets go, i was more referring to the fact that the first 13 episodes were not available either uncut or bilingual until 2009 when said release came out because of that sublicense preventing FUNi from releasing them for so long. So for those fans who wanted the watch those episodes subbed in Japanese or dubbed with the new cast at the time their only option prior to that point was importing the R4 Saga of Goku set from Australia (which would require a region free DVD player or changing the region code on your computer) since of course the release here in the States was that edited, dub-only version. I have never actually seen the 1995 versions of those episodes with the Ocean Group cast myself so there really is no value to me personally with getting that version. As for the FUNi release of the first movie, i tend to put it more on the Japanese track than English and the same with the other two movies that have those ancient dubs from before they had even done the dub of the series. Though movie four/Path to Power isn't that bad out of them given that i actually really like and even favor it over the first one.

Yeah, i am really glad that i decided to track down the old single releases of both the Bardock and Trunks specials which actually are in the proper 4:3 fullscreen aspect ratio and not with the same faux 16:9 widescreen cropping and DNR smear fest as the Z brick seasons. With the GT special on the other hand, seeing as i do not actually own the Green Bricks i really don't how they processed it audio or video wise compared to the original single release.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:03 am

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 am

I'm really split on this subject! My emotions pull me about in so many ways.

One one hand I like the Dragon Ball Blue Bricks the best, simple because it's my very favorite portion of the anime and I don't know Japanese so what else am I gonna do?

On the other hand, I consider myself a videofile so the DBZ level sets are very dear to my heart because hot damn! The picture quality is jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

At the same time, I pretty strongly prefer the original Japanese soundtrack for the show so the Dragon Boxes are quite wonderful for letting me watch the show dubbed like I prefer, but with the soundtrack I like the most (unlike the level sets where i'm stuck with the american music for the dubbed version)

However at the end of the day i'm getting older and i'm loosing my hearing, so I very much appreciate the Dubtitiles that the DBZ singles offer that's not on any of the other releases. It sucks I can't just watch the show my favorite way. There always has to be a compromise of some kind, no matter the release I go with.

:oops: :? :sick: :lolno: :eh: :crazy:

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 am

ZodaEX wrote:At the same time, I pretty strongly prefer the original Japanese soundtrack for the show so the Dragon Boxes are quite wonderful for letting me watch the show dubbed like I prefer, but with the soundtrack I like the most (unlike the level sets where i'm stuck with the american music for the dubbed version)
The Levels include a dub+Kikuchi track. It's the 5.1 mix. The dub+Faulconer/Johnson track is the 2.0 mix.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

Post Reply