Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Best/Your Preferred Dragon Ball Releases (DVD, Blu-Ray.etc)

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm

My personal favorite ways of watching the series

Dragon Ball: Blue Boxes

DBZ: Blu-Ray Level Sets And Season Blu-Rays (I just like switching from American OST to Japanese on the fly)

GT: DVD Season Sets

Kai: Blu-Rays Parts 1-4 (Yamamoto) and Season 3 and 4 (Kikuchi)

Kai TFC: Blu-Rays

DBSuper: Blu-Rays

Movies/specials: Funimation Blu-Rays (But if America gets those 2019 Remastered Blu-Rays With American OSt Then I'd choose those instead)
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm

The only release I've been 100% satisfied with was the Dragon Boxes. It's the only time any part of Dragon Ball has been released in North America with absolutely no edits.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Gligarman wrote:The only release I've been 100% satisfied with was the Dragon Boxes. It's the only time any part of Dragon Ball has been released in North America with absolutely no edits.
Same with me, i have been gradually tracking them down on eBay because quite frankly i just couldn't stand the absolutely terrible video quality of the Orange Bricks and they have the benefit of being the only release that FUNi has put out to include the full complete package. If you are someone who has a particular eye for video quality or want the best presentation of the Japanese version then hands down it's Dragon Boxes FTW!!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Gligarman wrote:The only release I've been 100% satisfied with was the Dragon Boxes. It's the only time any part of Dragon Ball has been released in North America with absolutely no edits.
What about the Japanese tracks of the GT singles? OP and ED with Japanese credits as well as Japanese NEPs
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
What about the Japanese tracks of the GT singles? OP and ED with Japanese credits as well as Japanese NEPs
That's the only other release after the Z Dragon Boxes i know of that FUNi has released to include those things.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:59 pm

For dubbed viewing:

DRAGON BALL
-1-13: Madman Saga of Goku Set
-14-153: US Saga Sets

DRAGON BALL Z
-1-34: Level Sets
-35-67: US Dragon Box
-68-291: US Single DVDs

*would it be better to view 68-70 on Dragon Box rather than singles since they don’t perfectly match the original uncut episodes?

DRAGON BALL GT
-US Single DVDs

For subbed viewing:

DB: the same as above, DBZ: US Dragon Box, DBGT: the same as above.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Dragon ball
1-13 Streaming japanese *hulu/fubi* basically the blue bricks with japanese title cards
14-153: singles

Dragon Ball Z
30th set. I's the first time I was able to get all of Z in 4:3. Not perfect but I look at them similar to the bluebricks. I do have dragon box 1 and 3 but Funi's encoding/compression could have been better.

GT:
Dvd singles. Season sets woulda been better if they didnt swap the logo on the Japanese opening. Its a little thing but I just dont like it lol. Also japanese Title cards are a plus

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:08 pm

DB - US Saga sets..Blue brick for first arc unfortunately.
Z- Level sets/FUNi DBoxes
GT - US Singles

Movies/Specials - Toei streaming remasters on portable storage.

Heavy emphasis on the subbed experience obviously.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:46 am

Favorite isn't really saying much, since we end up with one shortcoming or another each release.

DB: The Saga Sets. I prefer these over the Bricks because the there's a little less of the image cut out and we get Japanese Titles Cards.

Z: Dragon Boxes. It's not nearly as impressive as the stunning Level Sets (which is understandable for a 2003 release), but it's actually complete and has the title cards and NEPs.

GT: Singles. Apart from the English track with Tokunaga score and a better opening English opening theme, it beats the Green Bricks in every other way. Pretty much the Dragon Box with a few compression artifacts you wouldn't even notice on a SD display.

Movies: Singles for Z (and DB movie 2) and the streaming version of DB movies 1, 3 and 4. Mostly because they're in 4:3 and the Toei remaster renders the Double Features obsolete unless you really want the dub with Japanese music. Also, dual title cards and credits.

Kai: Parts BD's.

At the end of the day, I don't even really watch the series on my DVD's/BD's anymore when it comes to pre-Kai releases. I just rip them (along with some "greyer" sources if otherwise unobtainable) and make my own frankenstein multilingual versions to view from a HDD.
uzuni wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:59 pm*would it be better to view 68-70 on Dragon Box rather than singles since they don’t perfectly match the original uncut episodes?
I'm pretty sure for the DVD's and uncut VHS, only episode 68 (or 54 as originally dubbed) differs from the Japanese version. They stuck a cut down version of what hadn't been dubbed of 67 to it to make 68 an extra long episode so that the rest of the series would sync up with the Japanese version immediately. Only the broadcast and edited VHS versions are different up to 70.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:36 pm

uzuni wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:59 pm *would it be better to view 68-70 on Dragon Box rather than singles since they don’t perfectly match the original uncut episodes?
No.

For dubbed viewing, you should watch as much as possible from the original DVD singles, because all the later releases (such as the DBox) did a "remaster" of the audio which... Well, let's say it's about as poorly done as Funi's "remastering" of the video on the Season DVDs, BDs, and 30th sets.

Though, even if not-quite-matching is a concern for you, the DVD singles actually come into alignment with uncut IMMEDIATELY, unlike the TV airings.
Y'see... Well... First off, the original DVD singles use a numbering that goes from 54 to 276, to fit in with the original TV numbering (since the original syndicated first two seasons cut the first 66½ episodes down to 53). So DVD single episode 54 starts about half-way through uncut #67, finishes that episode, then does the entirety of uncut #68 before ending, meaning the DVD singles version lines up with uncut immediately.
However, this does leave the problem of whether you watch the DBox or DVD single for that last half of #67. The answer is quite clear: Switch to the DVD single #54 part-way into DBox #67. That way, you switch to the original dub as soon as possible, and have to tolerate as little of the "remastered" dub as possible.

Though, personally, I'd say if you're watching dubbed anyway, you should just watch the DVD singles for all of DBZ, and watch the original dub-only, 53-episode edit of the first 66½ episodes. The OG Funi dub was originally designed to work with this dub, and it is generally a better piece of work than the "remastered" uncut dub.
If you care about watching uncut, you're better off just watching in Japanese.
If you must watch dubbed, but your stomach turns at cast changes and edited dubs, then you should just watch Kai instead.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.