Fox to Sony?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Fox to Sony?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:55 pm

So with the release of Broly, I forgot Fox has the distribution rights of the film's. With the whole fox/ Disney merger, it sounds like if Disney keeps Fox studios open then the rights will stay. However if they close the studio, then do the rights go to Sony for distribution since Sony owns Funimation? Or do they have to renegotiate for the film rights?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:22 pm

I have no idea how the North American rights for the series are supposed to work at this point. Sony owns FUNimation now, but Fox has some distribution deal that gives them the rights to DB movies, but Disney will soon merge with Fox, etc. It’s all a pretty big headache to keep track of.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Why has the Fox-Disney Sale not been discussed by the fandom (or Kanzenshuu, for that matter) as the Dragon Ball franchise's film rights are involved?
Would Disney keep the current deal in place or would they alter it besides name changes?
Presentation-wise, will we see the Disney logo instead of the 20th Century Fox logo in future Dragon Ball films?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 am

Can't help but draw parallels to Sony and Marvel (Disney) with the Spiderman license. Maybe because of that, it will be easier for the two parties to again share a film property.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2673
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:47 am

Sony owns Funimation, who continue to dub all of Dragon Ball. (Well... Except for those OVAs, and the Heroes series, but those are just not dubbed, and IIRC never really left Japan anyway...)
Fox owns the American distribution rights for any new Dragon Ball movies, and the rights to produce their own new Dragon Ball movies. These rights will almost certainly transfer to Disney with the merger.

It's somewhat like Universal's deal with Hulk; Marvel can use Hulk in their movies, but if a Hulk movie is made, it has to be distributed by Universal. Of course, in that case, Universal is difficult about it and just refuses, so Hulk movies just aren't made(Technically Marvel could make a Hulk movie, but no one would be allowed to distribute it, since Universal don't want to). Meanwhile, Fox continue to distribute the new Dragon Ball movies in the west, and cooperate with Funimation, using their dubs on the movies, and both companies make money off it.

Disney and Sony are on pretty good terms, and them cooperating on this stuff makes both companies money, so I don't think any difficulties will arise from any of this.

I think something a lot of people forget is that the film business often isn't as cut-throat as people like to make out; ultimately everyone is out to make good movies or make money -- often both.
DC and Marvel are technically competing on making superhero movies, but generally there's room for both to succeed, and one doing well will often positively affect the other too. Kevin Feige commented once recently on the situation of James Gunn potentially moving to directing DC films, saying "Y'know, I went to see Aquaman last night, and I really enjoyed it -- and you know me, I don't see a rivalry, I see cool films being made. And one thing you know about James Gunn, he makes cool films." (I removed some stutters and such from the original quote) See also: Joss Whedon working on Justice League after directing two Avengers movies.
And realistically, Marvel's movies doing well generates interest in superhero movies, which is good for DC, and DC's movies doing well generates interest in superhero movies, which is good for Marvel, so... Even "Competition" is really good for both, as long as both put out good, varied movies, and thus don't making anyone feel fatigued with the whole phenomenon...
Take your time, DC... :lol:

But yeah, point is, we've seen Marvel and Sony both make Spider-Man movies recently -- Spider-Verse was fantastic, Venom was a lot of fun, Homecoming was great, Spidey was also in the fantastic Civil War and Infinity War films, all great fun, and we're of course getting Far From Home in July -- and sure, there's probably some people on both sides a bit frustrated with the weirdness of the situation, but ultimately, they're working together and separately on some great movies that makes a lot of money, so... Really, everyone's happy. No reason Sony and Fox can't be under a similar arrangement; Funimation continuing to dub Dragon Ball under Sony, Fox continuing to distribute things, maybe doing a movie or two in future(I personally am hoping Fox team up with Toei and do a Fox/Toei co-production on a live-action Dragon Ball movie someday; could be a lot of fun).

Anyway, the point I'm rambling around is that it really should all be fine. The situation as we've seen it unfold with this new movie will continue to be how it is for any future movies. No reason for it to change.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3882
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:26 am

Slightly off-topic, but I remember this topic coming up in the context of another live-action movie. For that, I said that Disney isn't foolish: they'll have looked at the performance of BoG, RoF and S-Broly compared to DBE and very quickly realize that nobody wants to see Dragon Ball in live-action, whereas Disney makes a tidy profit off of their live-action titles. That aside, Dragon Ball is, to me at least, plainly at its best when it's at home being animated. It wouldn't quite work in live-action to me because part of Dragon Ball is the fact that it's stylized by Toriyama (directly or indirectly).

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 am

KBABZ wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I remember this topic coming up in the context of another live-action movie. For that, I said that Disney isn't foolish: they'll have looked at the performance of BoG, RoF and S-Broly compared to DBE and very quickly realize that nobody wants to see Dragon Ball in live-action, whereas Disney makes a tidy profit off of their live-action titles. That aside, Dragon Ball is, to me at least, plainly at its best when it's at home being animated. It wouldn't quite work in live-action to me because part of Dragon Ball is the fact that it's stylized by Toriyama (directly or indirectly).

Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2673
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:25 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I remember this topic coming up in the context of another live-action movie. For that, I said that Disney isn't foolish: they'll have looked at the performance of BoG, RoF and S-Broly compared to DBE and very quickly realize that nobody wants to see Dragon Ball in live-action, whereas Disney makes a tidy profit off of their live-action titles. That aside, Dragon Ball is, to me at least, plainly at its best when it's at home being animated. It wouldn't quite work in live-action to me because part of Dragon Ball is the fact that it's stylized by Toriyama (directly or indirectly).
Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.
The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I remember this topic coming up in the context of another live-action movie. For that, I said that Disney isn't foolish: they'll have looked at the performance of BoG, RoF and S-Broly compared to DBE and very quickly realize that nobody wants to see Dragon Ball in live-action, whereas Disney makes a tidy profit off of their live-action titles. That aside, Dragon Ball is, to me at least, plainly at its best when it's at home being animated. It wouldn't quite work in live-action to me because part of Dragon Ball is the fact that it's stylized by Toriyama (directly or indirectly).
Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.
The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
I get what you are saying here, it has been stated before that Evolution was so bad because it morphed during production into something that barely even resembled the series it was adapted from. Aside from a few fan servic-ey moments here and there the majority of the final product really didn't feel much like a Dragon Ball movie at all because if it didn't have the references or the name "Dragon Ball" it would basically be a generic action movie.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2673
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:08 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.
The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
I get what you are saying here, it has been stated before that Evolution was so bad because it morphed during production into something that barely even resembled the series it was adapted from. Aside from a few fan servic-ey moments here and there the majority of the final product really didn't feel much like a Dragon Ball movie at all because if it didn't have the references or the name "Dragon Ball" it would basically be a generic action movie.
You say "Morphed"... I mean, the original script was a pile of crap that barely resembled the original anyway. The guy who wrote it apologised for his work on it in his interview with Derek Padula a while back.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
I get what you are saying here, it has been stated before that Evolution was so bad because it morphed during production into something that barely even resembled the series it was adapted from. Aside from a few fan servic-ey moments here and there the majority of the final product really didn't feel much like a Dragon Ball movie at all because if it didn't have the references or the name "Dragon Ball" it would basically be a generic action movie.
You say "Morphed"... I mean, the original script was a pile of crap that barely resembled the original anyway. The guy who wrote it apologised for his work on it in his interview with Derek Padula a while back.

So basically, the movie was already a piece of trash to start with and then it got altered to something even worse than before. Color me intrigued!!! :shock:

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Slightly off-topic, but I remember this topic coming up in the context of another live-action movie. For that, I said that Disney isn't foolish: they'll have looked at the performance of BoG, RoF and S-Broly compared to DBE and very quickly realize that nobody wants to see Dragon Ball in live-action, whereas Disney makes a tidy profit off of their live-action titles. That aside, Dragon Ball is, to me at least, plainly at its best when it's at home being animated. It wouldn't quite work in live-action to me because part of Dragon Ball is the fact that it's stylized by Toriyama (directly or indirectly).
Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.
The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
Apart from sucking, it also doesn’t help that DBE had almost no promotion whatsoever, and the promotion it did get made it look like a pretty generic chosen one story. I remembered having followed the movie back in the day, and it really seemed like Fox was trying their best to bury the film. The only person who seemed enthusiastic about it was James Marsters.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Yes, they need just look at the abysmal box office numbers that Evolution did here and worldwide back in 2009 to come to the conclusion that "Yeah, we think it's best if the films stay animated." because i don't think they would be willing to try again seeing how the last attempt at making Dragon Ball in live action went over really badly.
The reason no one saw DBE wasn't because it was live action, it was because it sucked. Disney are pretty smart about understanding that, and both they and the companies under them -- including Fox -- have understood this same thing about superhero movies in the past. 20 years ago, comic fans would probably say the same thing about live action comic book movies. Then Spider-Man happened, and Iron Man, and the good X-Men movies, and now everyone loves comic book movies.

Live-action adaptations of anime are in the same place comic book movies were in back then, except the dead period has been much longer, and with the internet around, all the salt about it is a lot more visible.

Remember, if they took the attitude you guys are taking with this, then they'd be thinking "I guess people don't like live-action Fantastic Four movies. It's failed both times we did it, so let's just never do that ever." :lol:
Apart from sucking, it also doesn’t help that DBE had almost no promotion whatsoever, and the promotion it did get made it look like a pretty generic chosen one story. I remembered having followed the movie back in the day, and it really seemed like Fox was trying their best to bury the film. The only person who seemed enthusiastic about it was James Marsters.
Simply put, it was mishandled in just about every way and ultimately bombed epically at the box office as well as being brutally thrashed by critics. Evolution now stands as an obscure oddity that barely anyone in general let alone casual or hardcore Dragon Ball fans remembers now, and funny enough is that this spring will have been 10 years since it's release and nobody will likely give a crap given the film's abysmal reputation.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:11 am

the consolidation of these companies into a near monopoly is worrisome. Sometimes things are better left to the smaller guys.... bit off topic, but then again... not really.

What kind of stories can we get if it isn't safe for PR?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13906
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:38 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Apart from sucking, it also doesn’t help that DBE had almost no promotion whatsoever, and the promotion it did get made it look like a pretty generic chosen one story. I remembered having followed the movie back in the day, and it really seemed like Fox was trying their best to bury the film. The only person who seemed enthusiastic about it was James Marsters.
DBE had promotion because I do remember the movie had merchandise for the film and even had a few TV spots for it. Unlike Legend of Chun Li, at least they released the trailer for it months before the movie was out (Legend of Chun Li didn't get a trailer until one month before the movie was out).
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Fox to Sony?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Apart from sucking, it also doesn’t help that DBE had almost no promotion whatsoever, and the promotion it did get made it look like a pretty generic chosen one story. I remembered having followed the movie back in the day, and it really seemed like Fox was trying their best to bury the film. The only person who seemed enthusiastic about it was James Marsters.
DBE had promotion because I do remember the movie had merchandise for the film and even had a few TV spots for it. Unlike Legend of Chun Li, at least they released the trailer for it months before the movie was out (Legend of Chun Li didn't get a trailer until one month before the movie was out).
I’m not saying it didn’t have promotion. I’m saying that there wasn’t a whole lot of promotional material for it, and that the promotional material it did get wasn’t the least bit enticing.

Post Reply