Should Vegeta ever transition into saying Goku instead of Kakarot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Should Vegeta ever transition into saying Goku instead of Kakarot?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:39 am

Fan fictions used to do this all the time, when imagining a world after the end of the series. The idea is that Vegeta eventually becomes so accustomed to Earth and so used to Goku and the rest of the team as his comrades, that he drops the saiyan name and starts calling him by his real name. Would this be cheesy or is it a good idea to represent more character development?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Should Vegeta ever transition into saying Goku instead of Kakarot?

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:41 am

I watched Battle of Gods the other day and the part where Chichi appears and says "Goku-sa!" everyone else appears right after yelling "Goku!" I think Vegeta did too.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:58 pm

In Modern Dragon Ball anything is possible and they're always rewriting history so, who knows.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:28 pm

I doubt it. Vegeta will address a Saiyan by their Saiyan name, and probably won't accept any other title.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:30 pm

I remember a scene in the Westwood dub during the final struggle with Kid Buu where Vegeta says to Mr Satan "Goku's totally drained!". When I first saw it I thought it was due to his newfound respect, but later he reverts to saying "Kakarot" so I guess it was just a script oversight.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Didn’t Vegeta refer to him as Goku really early on in the Funi Dub? I think it was after he ditches Goku, and heads back to Freeza’s ship. Anyway, I just remember it being awkward as hell, especially since I was hearing Sabat’s voice for the first time, and on top of it, he wasn’t saying “Kakarot” all smug, like I was used to.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:13 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Didn’t Vegeta refer to him as Goku really early on in the Funi Dub? I think it was after he ditches Goku, and heads back to Freeza’s ship. Anyway, I just remember it being awkward as hell, especially since I was hearing Sabat’s voice for the first time, and on top of it, he wasn’t saying “Kakarot” all smug, like I was used to.
Dunno about that but in FUNi's dub of Super they made the mistake of Vegeta calling Kakarotto as "Goku" which he never does.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Dunno about that but in FUNi's dub of Super they made the mistake of Vegeta calling Kakarotto as "Goku" which he never does.

Okay, I found it. I had to bust out the singles. It’s while Kuririn and Gohan are fighting Goku’s body. Vegeta says “Goku” while thinking to himself
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Another time he actually says "Goku" in some form is in the original Japanese Z/Kai and old in house Z dub versions of the episode after Trunks kills Mecha Freeza and King Cold before the aforementioned arrives in three hours, when he says the following in each.

Japanese Z

"Counting me and Kakarot-- or Son Goku as he's known here on Earth-- and that earthling half-breed kid there, there aren't any Saiyans left but us three!"

English Z

"Kakarot, the one you call Goku and myself are the only Saiyans left alive."

Japanese Kai (In English Kai Vegeta doesn't actually mention his Earth name)

"The Saiyans consist of me and Kakarot, who goes by the name Son Goku here on Earth, and the earthling half-breed kid there There aren't any Saiyans left besides us three!"
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 pm

He says "Goku" once in GT too, during the Super 17 arc.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:20 pm

I'd be fine either way. If they change it it's cool character progression, if they don't then it's just a cool little part of Goku and Vegeta's dynamic.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 am

90sDBZ wrote:I remember a scene in the Westwood dub during the final struggle with Kid Buu where Vegeta says to Mr Satan "Goku's totally drained!". When I first saw it I thought it was due to his newfound respect, but later he reverts to saying "Kakarot" so I guess it was just a script oversight.
Did that happen in the Funi dub? The script of the Westwood dub of Z in its entirety is literally the Funi script with some variations.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 am

I don't want to say definitely not, because I can imagine it's possible there's a scenario in which it would be appropriate as a one-off thing, but in general, I really don't think so.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am

Danfun64 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I remember a scene in the Westwood dub during the final struggle with Kid Buu where Vegeta says to Mr Satan "Goku's totally drained!". When I first saw it I thought it was due to his newfound respect, but later he reverts to saying "Kakarot" so I guess it was just a script oversight.
Did that happen in the Funi dub? The script of the Westwood dub of Z in its entirety is literally the Funi script with some variations.
No, in the Funimation dub Vegeta just referred to Goku as "He". Guess it just goes to show the direction wasn't the only aspect of the Westwood dub that could have benefitted from more than one take. Having said that Funimation made the same mistake of Vegeta using "Goku" in the Universe 6 Tournament saga of Super.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
No, in the Funimation dub Vegeta just referred to Goku as "He". Guess it just goes to show the direction wasn't the only aspect of the Westwood dub that could have benefitted from more than one take. Having said that Funimation made the same mistake of Vegeta using "Goku" in the Universe 6 Tournament saga of Super.
The "One take only" thing is a myth people throw around based on an assumption that things being done as quickly as they were must mean it was all one take per line. There's not a shred of evidence for it.

But yes, the Westwood dub was definitely produced in a crazy rush, and mistakes like that did show up as a consequence of that. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Don't think so, not in the near future at least. He was very adamant in Super of thinking of a Saiyan name for Bulla, so I don't think he'll stop calling Goku "Kakarot" anytime soon.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:16 pm

It feels like, at least at this point, it’s a kind of respect from Vegeta’s perspective, referring to him by his true name.

I wouldn’t like it at all if he started calling him Goku—it’s a really cool unique dynamic between the two, and a nice holdover from their days as enemies.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Whether he should or not, he'd be giving up the last shred of Saiyan heritage left if he did that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:48 pm

I liked the way DBM handled it.
He said it to make a point and make the contrast between Kakarotto and Son Goku that much more powerful. In the actual series, I think if they ever face a fully evil Saiyan again, that it could work. Goku Black was a good opportunity, as well. It doesn't mean Vegeta has to call him Son Goku forever.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:16 pm

I personally think it's too far of a deviation from what people like about his character at that point. But, I can see him "slipping up" and accidentally calling him Goku and that in itself reflecting his progression without him actually letting go. It's a bit like how you always want a character to basically look the same, or wear the same outfit as a whole. You don't want them to change too much.