What are your top 10 favorite fights in the whole franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ruler9871
Regular

What are your top 10 favorite fights in the whole franchise?

Post by ruler9871 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 pm

They could be from any DB media. Mine are (in no order):

Goku vs Majin Vegeta (Z)
Goku vs Piccolo Jr. (DB)
MUI Goku, Freeza & 17 vs Jiren (DBS anime)
Vegeta vs Broly (DBS film)
Gogeta vs Broly (DBS film)
Piccolo vs 17 (Z)
Goku, Gohan & Krillin vs Vegeta (Z)
Goku vs Tien (DB)
Future Gohan vs Future 17 & 18 (History of Trunks anime)
Goku & Piccolo vs Garlic Jr (Dead Zone)
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: What are your top 10 favorite fights in the whole franchise?

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:19 am

My Top 10

1. Goku vs Majunior

This will always be my favorite fight in the series. It’s got everything you want: high stakes, flashy and powerful moves, and lots of good moments.

2. Goku vs Vegeta (Saiyan arc)

So much good stuff here. I really want to put it #1, but I’m a sucker for really good 1v1 fights. I wrote this as Goku vs Vegeta, but honestly this is more of a team fight in the end. And that is what’s so great about it.

3. Goku vs Kid Boo

Another team fight, another high spot on the list. This fight is not only full of goofy fun, but also lots of great character moments. It has a great finale with the genki dama finally working, killing Boo once and for all.

4. Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz

The more I think of this fight, the more I like it. Starting off the arc with your main character teaming up with the big bad of the previous 2 arcs, and then DYING. Lot’s of brutal hits, and an iconic finish.

5. Goku vs Tenshinhan (22nd Tenkaichi Budokai

Turtle vs Crane. A classic fight between two martial arts students. Tenshinhan as a character here is very interesting. He finally goes down the right path and ignores the Crane Hermit’s dirty teachings and ways. Seeing all his crazy moves was also fun.

6. Muten Roshi vs Tenshinhan

I had to include this one. Everything about this fight, including the talk between the two after it hads ended, is just so good. Classic martial arts, and a fantastic conversation at the end.

7. Goku vs Muten Roshi

Might not be the most exciting fight, but it still makes it in my top 10 because it’s arguably one of the most important fights in Goku’s life. It’s also full of great comedy and moments throughout.

8. Goku vs Jiren

A fight from Super actually makes my list, and it’s a real good one. Almost everything about Goku vs Jiren, including the finale with Freeza and 17, is great. Whether it’s the fantastic animation of episode 130, or the thrilling finale of 131, this fight delivered in many ways that I did not think it would.

9. Goku vs Cell

I almost forgot about this one. It’s exciting to watch, and sets up Gohan vs Cell well. Don’t really have much else to say, but it’s pretty damn good.

10. Vegeta vs ReaCoom

Such an underrated fight. Seeing Vegeta, someone we came to know as a real powerful threat in the last arc reduced to a being a ragdoll by a mere lowly MEMBER of the Ginyu Force, is stunning. Things truly feel desperate for our characters.

Honorable Mentions

Goku vs Freeza (Used to be on my list, but now I think it’s just waaaay too long. Cut a couple things out and it makes it for sure.)

DBS Broly fights (Animation quality alone made me want to put it up there, but decided not to because I felt it didn’t deserve it for whatever reason. It probably should be honestly.)

Gotenks vs Super Boo (Very comedic fight. I really like all the wacky moves and weird shit that happens.)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 am

Chosing top 10 might be hard for me without doing a proper analysis. I will just write 10 of my favourite fights in chronological order

-Goku vs King Piccolo
-Goku vs Piccolo Jr
-Goku & Piccolo vs Raditz
-Goku vs Frieza
-Z-fighters vs Broly
-Videl vs Spopovich
-Goku vs Majin Vegeta
-Goku vs Baby Vegeta
-Pan vs Haze Shenron
-Goku & Pan vs Oceanus Shenron

Honorable mentions:
-Goku vs Nappa
-Piccolo vs Android 17
-Goku & Vegeta vs Kid Buu
-Gogeta vs Janemba
-Gogeta SSJ4 vs Omega Shenron
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:57 am

Some of these are gonna be a bit cheaty where I combine several fights into one, but my reasoning for them doesn't work as well if I separate them, so that's why.

10. Son Goku vs Grandpa Gohan (Uranai Baba)
This is one of the most underrated fights in the franchise, I think. It's got neat choreography, both fighters keep surprising one another with tricks up their sleeve, and of course their reunion at the end never fails to tug at the heartstrings.

9. Son Goku vs Piccolo Jr (23rd Tenkaichi Budokai)
I almost DON'T want to include this one since it's such an obvious pick. Enough said, really. It's a classic.

8. Son Goku vs Jackie Chun (21st Tenkaichi Budokai)
That insert song, at that stage of the match, elevates this fight to another level. Student vs master, where the student learns a whole damn lot because learning-through-fighting is what Goku does best.

7. Kuririn vs Jackie Chun (21st Tenkaichi Budokai)
This one higher than Goku's match against Chun? Yep - for the simple reason that their slow-mo re-enactment of a fighting sequence makes this possibly the funniest fight in the whole franchise.

6. Kuririn vs Piccolo Jr (23rd Tenkaichi Budokai)
Loved this one from the moment I first read it. We fully expect Kuririn to get utterly destroyed here, but he pulls out some surprising moves and catches Piccolo off-guard a couple of times. Good on him.

5. Super Saiyan Son Goku vs Freeza
Yeah, this fight is extremely long. Too long for most. But I think its length is appropriate; it's a battle between the two greatest behemoths in the universe (as far as we know at that point) on an exploding planet. I love how appropriately mighty Goku feels the first time we see him in this legendary form. Meanwhile, you have Kaio desperately trying to carry out a plan behind-the-scenes to make sure everything works out in the end. What also helps is that I started watching from this point when I first got into Dragon Ball; so I can't deny that nostalgia is definitely a factor here.

4. Kuririn vs Son Goku (22nd Tenkaichi Budokai)
Dragon Ball episode 95 is my #1 favorite episode in the whole franchise. Not because of this fight, but because of everything surrounding it. Tenshinhan and Muten Roshi have what is possibly the deepest conversation in all of Dragon Ball, and then the episode transitions into this friendly-yet-competitive match accompanied by an awesome insert song. Everything I love most about Dragon Ball is packed into that single episode.
The fight itself, for the record, contains some fun bits of choreography as well, such as when Goku jumps into the air and launches himself into Kuririn with a Kamehameha, followed by a knee to the gut. And although we, of course, want to see Goku go up against Tenshinhan in the final, you can't help but root for the underdog Kuririn here.

3. Tenshinhan vs Yamcha/Jackie/Goku (22nd Tenkaichi Budokai)
I would've put these fights separately, but it's not necessarily about the fights themselves (though Tenshinhan certainly pulls out all the stops in terms of technique variety) - it's about Tenshinhan's growth during them from cold, wannabe-assassin to humbled, honorable martial artist. An insert song for Yamcha doesn't hurt, either.

2. Son Goku vs Red Ribbon Headquarters
Does this count as a fight? It's also very one-sided, but that's what I love about it - seeing a kid effortlessly take down an entire army base by himself. The Red Ribbon arc in general keeps growing on me every time I revisit it. I've said this many times before, but little Son Goku exploring a world he is adorable clueless about yet utterly invincible to is just the purest of pure gold. And this "fight" is the culmination of that.

1. Earthlings vs Saiyans
Okay. This is the cheaty one. You could say the fights against the Saibaimen are all individual ones and different from the one against Nappa which is different from the one against Vegeta. But individually, these fights may not have made it into my list of favorites. Together, though, they take number one.
First you see the not-yet-cast-aside Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Kuririn kick ass against the Saibaimen (even Yamcha's fight is awesome despite how it ends). Then there's the all-out desperate struggle against Nappa, that hulking brute of a monster. Tenshinhan's final Kikoho is stunning in both manga (artwork) and anime (voice acting) form, and I love how Piccolo spends this whole battle panicked yet somehow calculated at the same time. Honorable mention to Kuririn, too, who saw all his comrades get slaughtered one by one but wouldn't give up. He kept dancing around Nappa, would have actually killed him if Vegeta hadn't told him to duck, and he even came close to dealing the final blow to Vegeta himself. Speaking of whom - this tough son-of-a-bitch takes a Kaioken-powered Kamehameha to the face, a Genki-dama to the face, a giant goddamn ape to the face - yet he just keeps. getting. back. up. By the end, every single fighter is drenched in blood, and you can really feel how utterly exhausted they all are.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 am

1. Piccolo vs #17
2. Goku vs Majin Vegeta
3. Goku vs Burter & Jeice
4. Gogeta vs Janemba
5. SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell
6. SSJ Goku vs Cooler
7. Goku vs King Piccolo (2nd Time)
8. Kami vs Garlic Jr.
9. Piccolo vs Form 2 Frieza
10. Pu’ar vs Piccolo (I swear it happens in the Garlic Jr saga)
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:08 am

In No particular order; :thumbup:

1.) Ribrianne vs. Goku!
2.) Kakunsa vs. Android 17!
3.) Ribrianne vs. Android 17!
4.) Goku vs. Perfect Cell!
5.) Ribrianne vs. Android 18!
6.) Goku vs. Kid-Buu!
7.) Universe 2's ~ Zirloin, Zarbuto & Rabanra vs. Androids 17, 18 & Goku!
8.) Goku, Krillian, Roshi, Gohan and Piccolo vs. Dr. Whello and his Minions!
9.) Goku, Vegeta, Trunks and Piccolo vs. Androids 13, 14 & 15!
10.) Goku & Vegeta vs. Janemba!

Honorable Mentions, but Still Love These Fights!: :angel:
~ Rozie vs. Goku!
~ Ribrianne vs. Vegeta!
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:46 am

Bit lazy so I'll just do Z anime and not any movies. Only 5 as well.

1. Gohan VS Cell (Story wise)
2. Goku VS Cell (Fight wise)
3. Tien VS Imperfect Cell
4. Goku Vs Vegeta Saiyan Saga
5. Goku VS Vegeta Buu Saga

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:42 am

With no particular order

Goku vs Piccolo
Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz
the crew vs Vegeta
Goku vs Jackie Chun
Goku vs Murasaki
Goku vs Tenshinhan (22nd budokai)
Vegeta vs Recoome
Gohan vs 2nd form Frieza
Yamcha vs Tenshinhan
Jackie Chun vs Tenshinhan
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am

In no particular order

1. Goku vs King Piccolo final confrontation

2. Goku vs Piccolo Jr at the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament

3. Goku vs Jackie Chun

4. Goku vs Vegeta at the end of the Saiyan Saga

5. Trunks vs Cyborg Freeza

6. Pretty much all the fights in The Dead Zone. Top notch fight choreography there

7. Vegeta vs Android 18

8. Piccolo vs Android 17

9. Goku vs Tao Pei Pei: Goku’s comeback

10. Cell vs Gohan

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:19 pm

1. Goku vs Broly (Dragon Ball Super: Broly)

2. Goku, Krillin, Gohan and Yajirobe vs Vegeta

3. Goku vs Piccolo (23rd WMAT)

4. Goku, Vegeta, #17 and Freeza vs Jiren

5. Goku vs Tenshinhan (22nd WMAT)

6. Goku vs Freeza

7. Goku vs Jackie Chun

8. Goku vs Cell

9. Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz

10. Future Trunks vs Future #17 and #18
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

In chronological order (sort of):

Goku vs Tao Pai Pai
Goku vs Krillin
Goku vs Piccolo junior
Goku & Piccolo vs Raditz
Goku vs Vegeta
Vegeta vs Reacoom
Piccolo vs Android 17
Goku vs Perfect Cell
Goku vs Majin Vegeta
Goku & Vegeta vs Janemba
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm

There are so many fights I love that I can't include them here, but here is my Top 17:

1. Goku, Kuririn, Gohan and Yajirobe vs Vegeta
2. Goku vs Piccolo Jr
3. All the Broly Movie Fights (Can't pick a favourite)
4. Beerus vs Goku (BoG)
5. Gohan vs Cell
6. Vegeta, Gohan and Kuririn vs Recoome
7. Goku vs King Piccolo
8. Vegeta vs #19
9. Piccolo vs #17
10. Goku, Freeza and #17 vs Jiren
11. Goku vs Tenshinhan
12. Piccolo, Gohan, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Chazou vs Nappa
13. Goku vs Taopaipai
14. Vegeta and Trunks vs Cell
15. Cell vs Goku
16. Goku vs Hit
17. Master Roshi vs Tenshinhan

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:09 pm

Goku vs Tao Pai Pai (Red Ribbon)

Goku vs King Piccolo (Daimao)

Tenshinhan vs Tao Pai Pai (23rd Budokai)

Piccolo and Goku vs Raditz (Saiyan)

Goku vs Piccolo Jr. (23rd Budokai)

Future Trunks vs #17 and #18 (Z special 2)

Goku vs Vegeta (Saiyan)

Goku and Piccolo vs Garlic Jr. (Z movie 1)

Goku vs Coola (Z movie 5)

Vegetto vs Buuhan (Buu)
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:25 pm

Son Goku, Muten Roshi, Son Gohan, and Kuririn Vs. Kishime, Misokattsun, and Ebifurya
- This fight has the distinction of being the only one on the list that's not part of the official canon. Regardless, I could watch these fights for hours. In fact, I have! This to me was a major step up in terms of animation for Dragon Ball. I love going through these scenes frame by frame just to see all of the poses and how quickly they go by. Not to mention Roshi's portion is one of the most badass moments he ever had (even though he loses.) It was one of the first Dragon Ball anime I ever saw and I've been hooked ever since.

Son Goku, Vegeta, Whis, Freeza & Gogeta VS Broly
- Easily the most spectacular of franchise. It might even make it to the top of my list one of these days. It's basically half of the movie!

Son Goku Vs. Beerus (Film Version)
- Beerus is currently my favorite DB character and this fight solidified that. He's not evil, he's just a dick. But he's a dick that can fight!

Son Goku Vs. Piccolo Diamao
- Emotionally I don't think the stakes have ever been higher than they were during this fight. It's probably the most personal fight Goku has ever had since he absolutely vowed to kill Piccolo with no regrets. It was also the first time that for at least a brief second we weren't sure if anyone was coming back to life.

Son Goku Vs. Kuririn (Tekiachi Budokai)
- Kuririn doesn't get enough credit. He's always been one of my favorites and it was great to see he and Goku go at it for the first time since the earlier part of the series.

Son Goku Vs. Kefla & Son Goku, Freeza, Android #17 versus Jiren
- I just couldn't decided between these two. They're both incredible! Though the conclusion to the Kefla fight made me lose my damn mind! That song, Ultimate Battle, makes both of these fights epic.

Yajirobe Vs. Cymbal
- This fight ends with Yajirobe cutting Cymbal in half, putting a stick up his ass, and then eating him. Yajirobe was henceforth my favorite DB character until Beerus and Champa were introduced.

God of Destruction Battle Royal
- This one was exclusive to the manga version of Dragon Ball Super. It's basically everyone versus Beerus because apparently they all hate him. It's hilarious.

Son Goku Vs. Chichi
- We all know Goku defeats Chichi but I guess technically she won since she got a husband out of it. The anime version also had some pretty incredible animation for a TV series.

Son Goku VS. Vegeta
- I'll always remember this fight because it was the first time I had seen an animated series where someone not only had to train for weeks worth of episodes, but ultimately lost the fight horribly. If that didn't blow my mind enough as a kid, the two winded up being buddies!