Imagine: We Can Pick 1 GT Remake. Which Will You Choose?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Imagine: We Can Pick 1 GT Remake. Which Will You Choose?

Post by NeoKING » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 am

1. A "GT Kai" anime with the timeless Tokunaga musical score;

2. A GT OVA with animation mirroring Super DB Heroes, but the OVA is only 10 episodes, so while major plot points will remain the same, there will be other changes made to facilitate the shorter episode count; completely new musical score;

3. A seinen GT manga running in Ultra Jump that wouldn't be excessively dark, but running in a seinen magazine to re-capture the audience of those who were kids when GT originally ran in '96-'97; art may not necessarily be Toriyama or even Toyotaro-style, but would be done by another artist entirely; author does whatever he wants to the original GT story (fixing plot holes, making new ones, it's up in the air). Again, not an excessively dark story but able to capture and improve the darker moments of GT (entire world infected by Baby, Hell on Earth with S17, effects of the negative Ki engulfing the planet in the Evil Dragons arc, etc.)

Which are you choosing?
Last edited by NeoKING on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Imagine: We Can Pick 2 Versions of GT Remakes. Which Will You Choose?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:25 am

Kai, easy. At the very least the dub could be improved!

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 am

Shot for shot Manga adaptation!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 am

I honestly would go with a Remastered GT because I'm not a big fan of the current DB animation style.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 am

Tian wrote:I honestly would go with a Remastered GT because I'm not a big fan of the current DB animation style.
Agreed. GT may not be the best piece of Dragon Ball media in the world, but 25 years later it has one thing that isn't present in any DB product today: it's distinctly 90s, particularly through the art style and animation, and that has its own charm that aligns it somewhat with the heyday of DB and DBZ.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:05 am

GT is what it is, and I'm perfectly okay with it as it is, even if it's a flawed product.

I'd much rather just Toriyama finally start moving the timeline forward and having older Goten and Trunks, as well as Pan being older, and maybe Super Saiyan 4 as well (though Broly kind of has an equivalent in the new movie, though without the fur, that could be his own take though (like his green haired form), and Goku and Vegeta could get their own version with the fur), because while I do like the new forms, I want something that's not just a recolor.
Tian wrote:I honestly would go with a Remastered GT because I'm not a big fan of the current DB animation style.
I only agree if you're referring to Yamamuro, but he's probably going to only do Heroes from now.

If it's Shintani you're talking about, then them's fightin' words!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 am

Definitely a Kai-ified version of GT. Although technically it would be conceptually inconsistent with original Kai because there's no GT manga to make a "more accurate to the source" cut it would be nice to watch with a faster pace (especially for the Black Star Dragon Ball arc) and a better dub, especially if we got a few Ocean or even Blue Water cameos.

Sadly even if it happened I think TOEI would be too cheap to get Q-Tech to do the remastering and they would probably get Sumitomo (who I like his recent work but he doesn't compare to Tokunaga) to compose a new score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Definitely a Kai-ified version of GT. Although technically it would be conceptually inconsistent with original Kai because there's no GT manga to make a "more accurate to the source" cut it would be nice to watch with a faster pace (especially for the Black Star Dragon Ball arc) and a better dub, especially if we got a few Ocean or even Blue Water cameos.
That's what I was thinking, a Kai take on GT would increase the pacing and remove some of the more blatant instances of padding for time (such as Pan getting thrown out of that factory literally three times). Not to mention things like Pan saying that "girls are stronger when they cry" and the alien deer suckling on her breasts (because that isn't disgusting at all).

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 am

Remastered GT like Kai but with original score or the same score recreated.
Maybe GT finally could receive english dub that isn't an awful joke as well.

Speaking of OVA, instead of remaking GT and making it even shorter than it originally was, why not simply create a new episode like "Yo Son Goku and friends return" and place it somehwere in GT timeline, like between Baby and Super 17 arcs or after last arc. This could also be a good way to check if people would be interested in any remake of GT in the first place. Remember that Super only exists because BoG and RoF movies were successful.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Remastered GT like Kai but with original score or the same score recreated.

Speaking of OVA, instead of remaking GT and making it even shorter than it originally was, why not simply create a new episode like "Yo Son Goku and friends return" and place it somehwere in GT timeline, like between Baby and Super 17 arcs or after last arc. This could also be a good way to check if people would be interested in any remake of GT in the first place. Remember that Super only exists because BoG and RoF movies were successful.
Not sure what your last point has to do with anything, other than you trying to shoot down DBS' success. DBS existed because of the 2013 & 2015 film yes but it now exists on it's own merits and it's proved that every year it's been a success culminating with Broly. I can flip it around and say GT existed because of Z success but GT didn't manage to hold itself like DBS did.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 am

Manga versions of Baby and Dragon arcs. Super 17 if you will.

I do enjoy the slice of life moments of early GT, but I feel like those are already fine as is with the original anime. The later arcs I'd like to see fleshed out more with a proper manga with less rushing in particular with the dragons.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:Remastered GT like Kai but with original score or the same score recreated.

Not sure what your last point has to do with anything, other than you trying to shoot down DBS' success. DBS existed because of the 2013 & 2015 film yes but it now exists on it's own merits and it's proved that every year it's been a success culminating with Broly. I can flip it around and say GT existed because of Z success but GT didn't manage to hold itself like DBS did.
Whoa, Nelly. None of that was downplaying the success of Super, they are merely stating it wouldn't exist without the success of the movies or OVA. I'd really wish if this didn't turn into some GT vs Super war over someone misunderstanding a post. We have enough of that garbage as is.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am

Kokonoe wrote: Whoa, Nelly. None of that was downplaying the success of Super, they are merely stating it wouldn't exist without the success of the movies or OVA. I'd really wish if this didn't turn into some GT vs Super war over someone misunderstanding a post. We have enough of that garbage as is.
Exactly my point. BoG and RoF showed that people are still interested in DB, enough to make new series. If those movies weren't successful, they most likely wouldn't risk doing full series.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 am

I'd say a Kai version would be more interesting; GT would end up being shorter but with a better pacing it would probably be more enjoyable.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
I only agree if you're referring to Yamamuro, but he's probably going to only do Heroes from now.

If it's Shintani you're talking about, then them's fightin' words!
Why would I dislike Shintani's* work? I definitely prefer it over Yamamuro's. His animation is more alive than the latter's and he doesn't seem to abuse on details like highlights on the hair as Yamamuro does on his designs.

I prefer a less detailed character with a fluid animation than a overdetailed one with a rigid animation.

*Oh crap, I forgot to write a "n" in his name.
Last edited by Tian on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 am

I say give Kamatani Haruka a chance to do a one cour remake with either Shintani Naohiro or Watanabe Koudai as her character designer. At the very least the Baby arc could be covered in thirteen episodes. If we're lucky we could get two cours.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:54 am

Metalwario64 wrote:GT is what it is, and I'm perfectly okay with it as it is, even if it's a flawed product.
I agree.

GT is certainly not perfect, but for what it is, it's a very unique take on Dragon Ball that tells some interesting stories, did it with fantastic music and animation, and was not only the last hurrah of the original anime run, but IIRC was the last time we'd hear a few of the cast members.
A lot of people put a lot of work into GT, and I think remaking it or Kai-ifying it would be silly. To solve its problems, you'd really have to do some heavy reworking of it, and at that point you're better off just doing a new series.

In fact, I'd apply this even further and say that any effort that could be spent making a GT remake/Kai-ification would be better spent on making a uniqe, new thing, perhaps aiming to be a spiritual successor to GT.

I think the only way I could see a GT remake-type thing being worthwhile would be if Toyotaro and Toriyama did a manga adaptation, which I could see being interesting, though again, I feel it would be effort better spent on other things.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:09 am

Kokonoe wrote:Manga versions of Baby and Dragon arcs. Super 17 if you will.
Honestly I think Super 17, as well as that mini-tournament arc, could be cut out entirely and the wish re-contextualized as being for the aftermath of Baby. I also think that, considering the Black Star Arc ultimately goes nowhere and turns into the Baby arc, cut down a fair bit on some of the more boring, less interesting escapades like Imecka, the one where Trunks has to dress up like a woman, and that wild goose chase from there that would eventually lead to Dr. Myuu. Keep the desert episode in its entirety though, that one was great.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Imagine: We Can Pick 1 GT Remake. Which Will You Choose?

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:52 am

I think GT itself should be left as is. It's only 64 episodes and never had a Manga equivalent to begin with, so giving it the Kai treatment would be pointless. If anything should get the Kai treatment it's OG DB.

Now if they were to bring elements of it to Super then that would be interesting. Or maybe have the GT-verse be an unknown 13th universe or alternate timeline in Super, so we could see Ultra Instinct vs SS4. It's a crazy and somewhat silly idea but it seems like anything goes these days.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am

Do to GT what Berserk did with the Golden Age Arcs (only follow through on the whole thing...and uh, nix the CG).
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Why isn't "none of the above" an option? Remaking GT would be a waste of time and money for Toei. Why would we need one? It would amount to the proverbial expression "putting lipstick on a pig"