Imagine: We Can Pick 1 GT Remake. Which Will You Choose?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Imagine: We Can Pick 1 GT Remake. Which Will You Choose?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:Why isn't "none of the above" an option? Remaking GT would be a waste of time and money for Toei. Why would we need one? It would amount to the proverbial expression "putting lipstick on a pig"
My sentiment exacty, i have an overall meh view on GT as it is no doubt a flawed series that does receive some cursory nods in games and such with characters but has otherwise remained little touched. I see it as a well that had it's time in the sun 23 years ago and just didn't live up to expectations.

There's really point in revisiting something that has a not so well regarded reputation in the grand scheme of the franchise.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm

GT would be accepted in todays Dragon Ball world vs back then after such an exhaustive run of Z.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Kokonoe wrote:GT would be accepted in todays Dragon Ball world vs back then after such an exhaustive run of Z.
I agree, I also think Super has made a lot of fans appreciate GT more. Granted Super seems to be more polarizing but from what I've seen the people who hate it really hate it. With GT even the negative reception today feels more like a "well it wasn't great but it had good intentions" sentiment.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 pm

I'd be on board for a Kai style cut of GT speeding up the pacing, which honestly would only reduce it's length by a few episodes because there's no large swaths of filler to cut because, well, it's all "filler." However I wouldn't like the animation to be changed like Kai did to Z. GT has the most beautiful colour palette of the series and it would lose a significant part of it's worth if that were changed. I think a manga adaptation like they are doing with Super would be amazing.

Maybe they could even expand on it? After Gokou leaves with the dragon, have a continuation series with Oob, Goten, and Gohan versus new villains, perhaps integrating old movie characters like Tapion or Paikuhan, or perhaps even Bra and Maron. Not a new series like AF per se, but GT is so short and the "timeline" seems so split now with Super it would be awesome to see a continuation past the End of Z and GT in the same style

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 pm

GT is fine the way it is currently. The only thing GT really needs a proper Blu-Ray, and I'd be wonderfully content. As it is though, it's perfectly fine.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:31 pm

TenshinFan wrote:I'd be on board for a Kai style cut of GT speeding up the pacing, which honestly would only reduce it's length by a few episodes because there's no large swaths of filler to cut because, well, it's all "filler." However I wouldn't like the animation to be changed like Kai did to Z. GT has the most beautiful colour palette of the series and it would lose a significant part of it's worth if that were changed. I think a manga adaptation like they are doing with Super would be amazing.
I've found that just because an anime isn't based on an existing work doesn't mean there aren't scenes or even entire episodes that could constitute filler because they don't accomplish anything for the story or characters, and there are many moments in GT that fit that. For example, Goku being kidnapped in the second episode is a completely pointless plotline that doesn't advance the story in any way; it's just there to fill out the runtime.
TenshinFan wrote:Maybe they could even expand on it? After Gokou leaves with the dragon, have a continuation series with Oob, Goten, and Gohan versus new villains, perhaps integrating old movie characters like Tapion or Paikuhan, or perhaps even Bra and Maron. Not a new series like AF per se, but GT is so short and the "timeline" seems so split now with Super it would be awesome to see a continuation past the End of Z and GT in the same style
I wouldn't mind a new take on GT's idea that fits in the modern continuity. One of the big problems I have with GT is that its initial cast of Trunks and a non-combative Pan is a complete waste of what was laid on the table at the end of the manga, namely by throwing away Pan and Uub's future potential as great fighters. IMO the main trio should be Goku training Uub along the journey, and Pan along for the ride where Uub tries to convince his newest friend to take up fighting because she's genuinely good at it. Stuff like that.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: I've found that just because an anime isn't based on an existing work doesn't mean there aren't scenes or even entire episodes that could constitute filler because they don't accomplish anything for the story or characters, and there are many moments in GT that fit that. For example, Goku being kidnapped in the second episode is a completely pointless plotline that doesn't advance the story in any way; it's just there to fill out the runtime.
I agree that there are many moments like that, especially in but not limited to the first 11 to 20 episodes. I'm just remarking that unlike in Z/Kai, they can't simply erase entire episodes.
KBABZ wrote: I wouldn't mind a new take on GT's idea that fits in the modern continuity. One of the big problems I have with GT is that its initial cast of Trunks and a non-combative Pan is a complete waste of what was laid on the table at the end of the manga, namely by throwing away Pan and Uub's future potential as great fighters. IMO the main trio should be Goku training Uub along the journey, and Pan along for the ride where Uub tries to convince his newest friend to take up fighting because she's genuinely good at it. Stuff like that.
I'd love it! But I also would like to see GT not be completely redacted, which is why I'd prefer "Oob's Adventures" or what have you following up episode 64.

Here's an idea: what if we reverse the Kai effect, and have GT Kai introduce _more_ episodes in between the Sagas? More of the Tenkaichi Budoukai, some episodes dedicated to the supporting characters, maybe even new or returning villains.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 pm

TenshinFan wrote:I'd love it! But I also would like to see GT not be completely redacted, which is why I'd prefer "Oob's Adventures" or what have you following up episode 64.
I subscribe to the belief that there are now effectively two anime lines, Classic and Modern:

DB > Z > GT
DB > Kai > Super

So I guess with your proposal, Super would be followed up by Dragon Ball GT-R, I guess? (yeah I like that car)

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm

KBABZ wrote:
TenshinFan wrote:I'd love it! But I also would like to see GT not be completely redacted, which is why I'd prefer "Oob's Adventures" or what have you following up episode 64.
I subscribe to the belief that there are now effectively two anime lines, Classic and Modern:

DB > Z > GT
DB > Kai > Super

So I guess with your proposal, Super would be followed up by Dragon Ball GT-R, I guess? (yeah I like that car)
I can agree with that. I've seen a 3way split theorized:

DB (manga)
DB (anime + filler) > Z (filler and movies) > GT
DB minus and all that > jaco and nekomajin > yo son goku > Super

I wonder if a "just DB and Z movies" canon could exist without the manga

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 am

TenshinFan wrote:I wonder if a "just DB and Z movies" canon could exist without the manga
I think so, particularly since DB movies 1-3 form their own neat little trilogy, and the Z movies work with those quite well and by and large connect together somewhat well (under the consideration that SOME version of Z happens to make their in-between sections work). For me, these are the main continuities (although it should be noted that BoG/RoF is for both the movies and their Super Arcs since there's no clear superior):

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:33 am

KBABZ wrote: = Manga =
DB- > Jaco > DB Manga > Super Manga

= Anime Classic =
DB > DBZ+PtEtS+Bardock+Trunks > Yo! > DBGT > Goku Jr.

= Anime Modern =
DB > DBK > Yo! > BoG > RoF > Super > Broly

= Movies =
DB Movie Trio > DBZ Movies

= Unsorted =
Path to Power / Evolution / Episode of Bardock / DBSD / Nekomajin / Unique game storylines like FighterZ
I like this. Paikuhan and Garlic Jr are interesting fits here because one debuted in filler and appeared in a movie and the other debuted in a movie and later appeared in filler. Also interesting that Super Manga would be in Manga Canon even though it is based off the anime and not the other way around?

I think it goes

I) Bare bones OG manga
II) The OG anime + filler, GT, and perhaps movies
-ii) sub-canon for the DB movies, Path to Power, and stuff that is tricky to place like Future Trunks
III) Modern Canon: Kai, Super, Minus, New Bardock, Jaco
IV) Videogame Multiverse

Anyway. I'd love to see more extrapolations of GT, be it Kai, manga, or a follow up. "Canon" or not, those characters, designs, and concepts are part of DragonBall.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 am

TenshinFan wrote:I like this. Paikuhan and Garlic Jr are interesting fits here because one debuted in filler and appeared in a movie and the other debuted in a movie and later appeared in filler. Also interesting that Super Manga would be in Manga Canon even though it is based off the anime and not the other way around?
On Garlic Junior, I would guess that a version of that story would happen for the Z anime that helps make it fit. I haven't seen the Garlic Jr. arc, but if he makes no remarks on Gohan then it could be entirely possible that the hypothetical anime version of those events wouldn't have involved him in the first place somehow. With Paikuhan, I would say his film reappearance to mean that the Other World Tournament also occurred in the Movie continuity (which is open since Goku is considered dead in Bio-Broly, right?).

For the Super Manga, I did that for simplicity's sake more than anything else. The Super Manga doesn't really fit anywhere otherwise and I don't want to put it in the Unsorted bin considering Toriyama's involvement, so for me it's easier to group it with Jaco, DB- and the core manga than trying to bodge it into the Anime Modern continuity. Speaking of which, where would you place the story and lore from Dragon Ball Online? If it fits with GT then I'd put that in the Anime Classic continuity.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 am

I would pic the manga. The anime isn't that bad but isn't that good either, and also the opportunity to correct some errors is something that should not be overlooked.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Remaking GT seems like a waste of time when they can just do original stories instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Imagine: We Can Pick 2 Versions of GT Remakes. Which Will You Choose?

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Manga versions of Baby and Dragon arcs. Super 17 if you will.
Honestly I think Super 17, as well as that mini-tournament arc, could be cut out entirely and the wish re-contextualized as being for the aftermath of Baby. I also think that, considering the Black Star Arc ultimately goes nowhere and turns into the Baby arc, cut down a fair bit on some of the more boring, less interesting escapades like Imecka, the one where Trunks has to dress up like a woman, and that wild goose chase from there that would eventually lead to Dr. Myuu. Keep the desert episode in its entirety though, that one was great.
This is a pretty good solution, they could even whittle down some of the Dragons too.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Imagine: We Can Pick 2 Versions of GT Remakes. Which Will You Choose?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 pm

TenshinFan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:Manga versions of Baby and Dragon arcs. Super 17 if you will.
Honestly I think Super 17, as well as that mini-tournament arc, could be cut out entirely and the wish re-contextualized as being for the aftermath of Baby. I also think that, considering the Black Star Arc ultimately goes nowhere and turns into the Baby arc, cut down a fair bit on some of the more boring, less interesting escapades like Imecka, the one where Trunks has to dress up like a woman, and that wild goose chase from there that would eventually lead to Dr. Myuu. Keep the desert episode in its entirety though, that one was great.
This is a pretty good solution, they could even whittle down some of the Dragons too.
I think having seven Dragons is thematically important for the lore, but it could be solved by having the lesser Dragons team up and they're defeated at once in the same episode.

On the idea that GT could be adapted into Super, I personally would say that instead of all of GT, it'd be a better idea to only do specific arcs. In this case, adapt the Baby arc to work in whatever Super looks like at the time it's adapted, then have the Shadow Dragon Arc be the final one for the story again but done better and, again, work within Super as it is at that time.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 am

Kokonoe wrote:GT would be accepted in todays Dragon Ball world vs back then after such an exhaustive run of Z.
Not really. The plethora of problems that GT had still exist regardless of when it aired. Sure, people may view it a little differently depending on when it was viewed, but it's many flaws are still abundantly clear regardless.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:42 am

PFM18 wrote:
Not really. The plethora of problems that GT had still exist regardless of when it aired. Sure, people may view it a little differently depending on when it was viewed, but it's many flaws are still abundantly clear regardless.
You can't possibly think that Super would last 131 episodes + high budget movie if it was aired right after Z?
Ressurection 'F' story is mostly accepted by fans because there was huge gap between GT's end and Battle of Gods premiere. Not to mention those two movies being turned into sagas in series.
If Super was aired right after Z, even without two first arcs being retellings, it would have far worse reception than it has now.
Recolored SSJ vs recolored Frieza didn't kill franchise because it was a long time since last official production. Otherwise, it would be far more hated than Super 17 saga ever was.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 am

I disagree personally. DBZ was still riding high by the time of the Buu arc. GTs demise I think was caused by the mood whiplash caused by shaking up the cast and going in a radically different direction with the story arc. Super meanwhile I think had nostalgia to pin on why it succeeded despite it's many flaws (IMO more numerous than GTs, although how flawed either is in total is up for debate).

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

You can't possibly think that Super would last 131 episodes + high budget movie if it was aired right after Z?
Ressurection 'F' story is mostly accepted by fans because there was huge gap between GT's end and Battle of Gods premiere. Not to mention those two movies being turned into sagas in series.
If Super was aired right after Z, even without two first arcs being retellings, it would have far worse reception than it has now.
Recolored SSJ vs recolored Frieza didn't kill franchise because it was a long time since last official production. Otherwise, it would be far more hated than Super 17 saga ever was.
This is a very interesting take and I'm inclined to agree. If GT didn't come out til 2010 or whatever, it would be much, much more successful, especially if they were more transparent with Toriyamas contributions in the first couple episodes. If Super came out in 1996 it would have about a similar reception to GT, probably a bit better but still casual fans would say "oh skip that".