Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3734
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Tian wrote:a crime arguably worse than the ones Vic, Haberkorn and Kirbopher commited...
Wait, what did Kirbopher do? I haven't heard anything about this... :shock:
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
Tian
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Tian wrote:a crime arguably worse than the ones Vic, Haberkorn and Kirbopher commited...
Wait, what did Kirbopher do? I haven't heard anything about this... :shock:
This:
http://amethystlashiec.tumblr.com/post/ ... pher-niosi

And it's pretty disappointing...
[Enter a cool signature here]

User avatar
Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 359
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:36 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:is a laughably absurd and moronic false equivalence and COLOSSAL lack of ethical prioritizing and perspective.
Different people are entitled to different opinions. You are free to protect what you feel is morally right, as are others. For other people, it might be a matter of protecting the falsely accused.
particularly if they're an already famous and well regarded celebrity of some sort.
Celebrities aren't the only people falsely accused. Scottsboro Boys, Duke Lacrosse, the Hofstra Rape Case, etc.
and are taking TREMENDOUS risks to their own lives and their own reputations to put an end to it once and for all.
And for others, there are calculations of notoriety and personal gain (financially, ideologically, politically, or in terms of shaping a fandom for deranged stans/anti-stans) in exchange for composing.
Yes, I absolutely and unreservedly agree wholeheartedly that people shouldn't bumrush to final judgements without a good amount of evidence and facts to go off of first. Yes, I fully believe in due process and "innocent until proven guilty" when it comes to formal criminal charges. All of that is 100% salient and sound.
And there should be a high standard for this. If there are heavy charges, a legal standard should be considered.
is that the fans of the accused end up circling the wagons around them and forming almost a sort of blindly-loyal personality cult around him (or her)
Just as there are anti-cults against the accused. Public figures are polarizing.
more often than not vindicating the accusers as having NOT been lying about this the whole time
http://innocenceproject.org
And that problem, I can safely say, is one that is FAR more deeply serious and FAR more damaging and critical to deal with on behalf of sexual assault victims everywhere than some celebrity potentially having their acting career (or what have you) ruined.
Again, it's not always celebrities. Ordinary people who are falsely accused often don't have the resources to fight false charges. College students, people in poverty, and African Americans are prone to profiling/unfair trials are disproportionately accused.

[It seems people are injecting personal experiences and emotions to this topic, making it impossible to have a sober and even-handed discussion. I'll see myself out. Apologies for engaging for those discussing this as a news item who aren't looking for a debate.]

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: .
I'm sorry, but it seems you are appealing to the emotional side of the story, instead of the skeptical one. Victims deserve to be entirely supported... if they are really victims. Haberkorn's story is still a possibility, and not a true and comprovated fact.

The point is not "the actor's bank account", but true and lie, justice, and how that can implicate on someone's life. Jessie can be a lier, and Haberkorn too can be a lier.

And if you could send me links on PM about true cases in the #meToo stuff, I would like to see them. So please, send me then at any time you want, because most of I know about #meToo is that there is a significant (but maybe not the biggest part) of liers. I'm being honest here.

Analytical Delusion wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Raping accusations can ruin entire careers on nowdays, even if they are true or not. It's perfectly natural to be on panic when someone accuses you of something like that.
Not saying he is inocent, because he being guilty is still a possibility too, but we cannot say with what we have until now with conviction that he is guilty.

Seriously, this is not Twitter. Victim's word is not the final word, the justice to be done needs more than just words, it needs real proofs. We should be more skeptical in situations like this one.
I strongly agree with this post. Rush to judgment is incredibly dangerous, and the implications of a false accusation can ruin an innocent individual's life as much as anything else. Which is why it's prudent that claims are investigated by individuals who are not at all invested in the outcome, and that said investigations are thorough and complete (including background/character research on the accusers). An issue (or cynics might call it a feature) with the #MeToo movement is that it puts people on trial in the public eye, and there is no way to recover one's reputation once allegations (even not fully corroborated) are aired.

[With regards to Mignogna specifically, just from skimming the link, there were photos, so maybe there is some strong evidence. Still, caution is of utmost importance.]
Thank you.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I think having an air of skepticism is fine, but in these cases, there's literally no reason for these victims to lie. Haberkorn and Mignogna may be hot stuff in the nerd world, but outside of that, they're essentially nobodies.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6337
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Tian wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Tian wrote:a crime arguably worse than the ones Vic, Haberkorn and Kirbopher commited...
Wait, what did Kirbopher do? I haven't heard anything about this... :shock:
This:
http://amethystlashiec.tumblr.com/post/ ... pher-niosi

And it's pretty disappointing...
The embezzlement is bad but everything else sounds like gossip and general dickheaderry. There's no mention of sexual assault. It's not even in the same realm as what Vic and Todd have been accused of.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Tian
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 875
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Tian » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Tian wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Wait, what did Kirbopher do? I haven't heard anything about this... :shock:
This:
http://amethystlashiec.tumblr.com/post/ ... pher-niosi

And it's pretty disappointing...
The embezzlement is bad but everything else sounds like gossip and general dickheaderry. There's no mention of sexual assault. It's not even in the same realm as what Vic and Todd have been accused of.
Oh I see... I stand corrected then.

Man, I feel kinda stupid from believing that Tumblr post. I read it again and it looks like some made up shit written by someone who hates him.
[Enter a cool signature here]

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am

Marlowe89 wrote:After reading more allegations and testimonies about Haberkorn, I've quickly changed my stance on him.

I wonder how many actors associated with Funimation are doing sleazy shit like this. How deep does it go?
Who the hell is Haberkorn and what did he do?

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:56 am

PFM18 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:After reading more allegations and testimonies about Haberkorn, I've quickly changed my stance on him.

I wonder how many actors associated with Funimation are doing sleazy shit like this. How deep does it go?
Who the hell is Haberkorn and what did he do?
He’s the voice of Jaco, and he’s been accused of taking advantage of a drunk woman by having sex with her.

User avatar
TobyS
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:28 am

“Innocent until proven guilty" is only for courts of law.

Public/personal opinion is a different matter.
You should “believe women” in these cases and err on the side of not continuing to reward bad behaviour financially or otherwise.

If he somehow gets proven innocent beyond a doubt (which I doubt whenever there are multiple accusations by different victims) you can always go buy the artists back catalogue after the fact or something or just start supporting their projects going forward.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

User avatar
TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/unoffic ... 424984090/

Vic addressed the allegations at a panel this weekend. Most of his appearances this year have been cancelled thankfully but for some reason, this particular one still let him in.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:09 am

WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I think I’m done with Dragon Ball for the time being. I don’t want to keep supporting a series that’s connected to a company with this much baggage behind it.
Dragon Ball is a thing, Funimation and its actors are another.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4631
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am

TVfan721 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/unoffic ... 424984090/

Vic addressed the allegations at a panel this weekend. Most of his appearances this year have been cancelled thankfully but for some reason, this particular one still let him in.
Could this be transcribed into text? Might be helpful for anyone who wants to analyze it.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by RichardKing2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 am

WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I think I’m done with Dragon Ball for the time being. I don’t want to keep supporting a series that’s connected to a company with this much baggage behind it.
See you tomorrow!

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6337
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I think I’m done with Dragon Ball for the time being. I don’t want to keep supporting a series that’s connected to a company with this much baggage behind it.
Unless FUNimation actively tried to cover his actions and/or enable them, the actions of two people in its gigantic pool of actors doesn't reflect the company itself.

What you're saying is like refusing to watch any more properties from any company that's produced a Kevin Spacey movie. There'd be no more movies to watch!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Alright, I think I’m done with Dragon Ball for the time being. I don’t want to keep supporting a series that’s connected to a company with this much baggage behind it.
Unless FUNimation actively tried to cover his actions and/or enable them, the actions of two people in its gigantic pool of actors doesn't reflect the company itself.

What you're saying is like refusing to watch any more properties from any company that's produced a Kevin Spacey movie. There'd be no more movies to watch!
Yeah, it feels like since this Vic Mignogna and Todd Haberkorn stuff recently came up (back in Vic's case) , that people are starting to look for scandals elsewhere where there are none. Mignogna and Haberkorn are likely guilty from what I've heard, but now it feels like some are trying to form this huge conspiracy with FUNimation as a company being complacent with and condoning this type of behavior, which there is no evidence of (unlike Vic and Todd).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8830
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:30 pm

I'm still of the mind to believe in innocent until proven guilty (yes, even in public opinion - the lynch mob-ish nature of society nowadays boggles my mind), but I won't lie, with more and more voice actors publicly liking the 'Kick Vic' stuff, and even his fiance (or previous fiance rather, I would assume), so it's coming from people that actually, 100% for sure know the man rather than just random people online that could be anyone - I won't lie, it's...not looking that great. :?

I'd still like to believe there's a chance it's getting blown way out of proportion, and Vic certainly seems heartfelt in that video, but I am well aware that he's an actor and thus that could just be an act like anything else. But when so many people who actually know the man are jumping onto this one, it definitely makes one uncertain how likely innocence can really be.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:39 am

Vic is already guilty of sexual assault, there's videos and images of this stuff that are pretty irrefutable, and him saying "I'll try to be better" is basically admitting it. The question is mostly just how guilty he is.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:24 am

Shaddy wrote:Vic is already guilty of sexual assault, there's videos and images of this stuff that are pretty irrefutable, and him saying "I'll try to be better" is basically admitting it. The question is mostly just how guilty he is.
Can you link these videos and images? And him say "I'll try to be better" can mean a lot of things.

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2608
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:26 am

As someone who works in the legal profession I feel I’m somewhat qualified to offer the following opinion;

None of you “let’s be cautious” dipshit kids have even the slightest understanding of the power dynamic of a sexual assault case. Bringing an action has a high personal cost in a system heavily skewed toward the accused. For instance in a simple battery offence you don’t have to prove consent, it’s pretty easily to convince a jury that a guy with bloody fists beat the shit out of a guy covered in bruises with some witness accounts and circumstantial evidence.

But proving consent in a sexual assault case involves a jury going through the defendants state of mind and whether the defendant at the time was first advertent to whether or not the victim was consenting and whether under the circumstances that belief was reasonable. This is an incredibly high bar to reach and often a thought process that many jurors struggle with.

This doesn’t even consider the hundreds of procedural indignities visited upon victims where in some jurisdictions if the accused is a self representing litigant they may cross examine the victim if they chose to give evidence.

I’m too frustrated to make this post coherent but its no wonder seeing how in this thread multiple people have not only demonstrated a complete (and concerning) ignorance of the legal system but also an abject lack of humanity. Also some of y’all are powerfully fucking stupid.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

Locked