Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am not sure what people mean by limited circles. If you mean did it make national news then no. But it’s certainly bigger than Dragon Ball fandom (and that’s pretty big in itself) it’s all over anime fandom on places like Twitter and Facebook.

Vic is actually a pretty big voice actor. I mean besides voicing Broly he voiced Edward Elric. So anime fans definitely know who is. I guess it depends on your perception of big. But Vic was a popular VA and very well known in anime fandom.


And note I don’t think these women are lying or there is any conspiracy against Vic. I think that is ridiculous. I’ve been hearing stories about Vic for years. So yeah a conspiracy about Vic from all these unconnected people over a period of years sounds like complete nonsense to me. I’ve even seen people say people are attacking Vic because of Broly which is especially ridiculous since some of the other VAs who have spoken out against Vic like Monica Rial are also in Broly.
Vic is not a big voice actor. Unless you do research, you wouldn't know his name. And while DB's fandom is big, most fans of the series are satisfied with watching the show and don't bother looking into the names of the actors. It's easier than you think to not hear about it if you don't want to.
Yes he is a big voice actor in the anime fandom. Just because you personally don’t know something doesn’t mean other people don’t.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Kinokima wrote:
ABED wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I am not sure what people mean by limited circles. If you mean did it make national news then no. But it’s certainly bigger than Dragon Ball fandom (and that’s pretty big in itself) it’s all over anime fandom on places like Twitter and Facebook.

Vic is actually a pretty big voice actor. I mean besides voicing Broly he voiced Edward Elric. So anime fans definitely know who is. I guess it depends on your perception of big. But Vic was a popular VA and very well known in anime fandom.


And note I don’t think these women are lying or there is any conspiracy against Vic. I think that is ridiculous. I’ve been hearing stories about Vic for years. So yeah a conspiracy about Vic from all these unconnected people over a period of years sounds like complete nonsense to me. I’ve even seen people say people are attacking Vic because of Broly which is especially ridiculous since some of the other VAs who have spoken out against Vic like Monica Rial are also in Broly.
Vic is not a big voice actor. Unless you do research, you wouldn't know his name. And while DB's fandom is big, most fans of the series are satisfied with watching the show and don't bother looking into the names of the actors. It's easier than you think to not hear about it if you don't want to.
Yes he is a big voice actor in the anime fandom. Just because you personally don’t know something doesn’t mean other people don’t.
Big in this case is VERY relative.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 pm

dragon boss z wrote:I recommend everyone interested in this topic watch this video. It isn't in favor of either side, but pretty much just says how if you don't know really know anything about the topic you should withhold your judgment, and you shouldn't say Vic is innocent, but you shouldn't condemn him either. It's a good watch with real life examples, one of which with Vic himself. If anyone watches it let me know what you personally think about the video, but I tend to agree, none of us here who don't actually know anything personally on the matter really can't say anything either way. The victim's and their allegations need to be taken seriously, but Vic's side of the story needs to be taken seriously as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWjBner5wo
A minute in and they already claim to be the most unbiased person in the world.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
ABED wrote:Vic is not a big voice actor. Unless you do research, you wouldn't know his name. And while DB's fandom is big, most fans of the series are satisfied with watching the show and don't bother looking into the names of the actors. It's easier than you think to not hear about it if you don't want to.
Yes he is a big voice actor in the anime fandom. Just because you personally don’t know something doesn’t mean other people don’t.
Big in this case is VERY relative.
I mean I don’t know what you mean about Big. No he is not big like a Hollywood actor big but he has a huge fan base and clearly you’ve never seen his line for autographs at conventions.

I don’t like the guy but saying he is not popular is ridiculous.

This isn’t only about Dragon Ball. Again he’s been cast in a lot of popular anime with big fan bases. As I said his biggest role was probably Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist. But he played a lot of popular roles over the years, like recently Rin in Free!

And in fact I think because Vic was popular unfortunately I think the things said about him were ignored for many years until now when the whispers got too loud and public outcry grew stronger.

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2792
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Kinokima wrote:I mean I don’t know what you mean about Big. No he is not big like a Hollywood actor big but he has a huge fan base and clearly you’ve never seen his line for autographs at conventions.

I don’t like the guy but saying he is not popular is ridiculous.

This isn’t only about Dragon Ball. Again he’s been cast in a lot of popular anime with big fan bases. As I said his biggest role was probably Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist. But he played a lot of popular roles over the years, like recently Rin in Free!

And in fact I think because Vic was popular unfortunately I think the things said about him were ignored for many years until now when the whispers got too loud and public outcry grew stronger.
I think what ABED is probably trying to say is: there does in fact exist a whole, wide, vast world outside of English-speaking anime fandom.

And within that MUCH bigger world that exists outside of the insular little bubble that is English-speaking anime fandom, Vic Mignogna is an utter and absolute nobody, whom no one that exists outside of English-speaking anime fan circles gives the foggiest ounce of a shit about.

The sum total of people who genuinely care about this are crestfallen fans of FUNimation anime dubs: relative to the rest of the ENTIRE world media landscape, the stuff that mainly concerns fans of FUNimation products and anime licenses constitutes SUCH a small, insular overall percentage, it almost may as well not even exist at all.

Looking at and appraising the rest of the wider world through the warped lens of one's own niche fandom is generally ill-advised.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 17974
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:38 pm

What Kunzait wrote AND of the people that are fans of FMA, how many know the voice actors' names and of those, who cares much beyond the name of the actor?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kinokima wrote:I mean I don’t know what you mean about Big. No he is not big like a Hollywood actor big but he has a huge fan base and clearly you’ve never seen his line for autographs at conventions.

I don’t like the guy but saying he is not popular is ridiculous.

This isn’t only about Dragon Ball. Again he’s been cast in a lot of popular anime with big fan bases. As I said his biggest role was probably Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist. But he played a lot of popular roles over the years, like recently Rin in Free!

And in fact I think because Vic was popular unfortunately I think the things said about him were ignored for many years until now when the whispers got too loud and public outcry grew stronger.
I think what ABED is probably trying to say is: there does in fact exist a whole, wide, vast world outside of English-speaking anime fandom.

And within that MUCH bigger world that exists outside of the insular little bubble that is English-speaking anime fandom, Vic Mignogna is an utter and absolute nobody, whom no one that exists outside of English-speaking anime fan circles gives the foggiest ounce of a shit about.

The sum total of people who genuinely care about this are crestfallen fans of FUNimation anime dubs: relative to the rest of the ENTIRE world media landscape, the stuff that mainly concerns fans of FUNimation products and anime licenses constitutes SUCH a small, insular overall percentage, it almost may as well not even exist at all.

I mean of course I am not saying he is Bill Cosby big. Like I said this isn’t something that is going to make national or international news but if you are involved with the anime fandom it is big. And Vic was certainly a big name in anime.


And yes people who watch anime do know the actors in it. Some people are more into Japanese actors like myself but dub actors have a huge fan base and Vic was one of the most popular dub actors. So yes most people who are fans of FMA one of Funimations biggest hits knows who Vic is.

User avatar
dragon boss z
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:19 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:25 pm

PFM18 wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:I recommend everyone interested in this topic watch this video. It isn't in favor of either side, but pretty much just says how if you don't know really know anything about the topic you should withhold your judgment, and you shouldn't say Vic is innocent, but you shouldn't condemn him either. It's a good watch with real life examples, one of which with Vic himself. If anyone watches it let me know what you personally think about the video, but I tend to agree, none of us here who don't actually know anything personally on the matter really can't say anything either way. The victim's and their allegations need to be taken seriously, but Vic's side of the story needs to be taken seriously as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWjBner5wo
A minute in and they already claim to be the most unbiased person in the world.
Yeah, he shouldn't have said that as it made him look egotistical, but I watched the rest of the video and he did seem to approach the topic in an unbiased fashion. Him exaggerating about how unbiased he is doesn't look good, but overall the video came off as seemingly unbias, as he said he did not stand with or against Vic, he just showed and talked about some clips and how people who aren't in the know should reserve their claims.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:53 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It’s not just Mignogna’s actions on their own. I don’t want to have be a fan of a franchise where this kind of drama is becoming the norm. I’ve become incredibly numb to all of the MeToo stuff in the news. For the last year and a half, it seems like not a day has gone by where I didn’t have to hear about how a bunch of famous people can’t keep their horniness (or their anger, in the case of the ones accused of domestic violence) to themselves, and it’s become incredibly frustrating to hear about, especially when people try to inject politics into them. I can’t even begin to describe how sick I was of all the nonstop chatter about that Brett Kavanaugh guy last fall, or how politicians on both the right and left have constantly been weaponizing this stuff.

For a while, I was hoping that Dragon Ball would be the one thing where I wouldn’t have to hear about all these uncomfortable stories with all these unnecessary political arguments attached to them, but now, here in 2019, we have all these “Vic Mignogna is a creep, believe the victim” and “Vic Mignogna is innocent and the people attacking him are SJWs” arguments, and it’s incredibly frustrating for someone who just wants to enjoy a goofy franchise about fighting.
In what way is this becoming the norm for Dragon Ball? Vic's the only one this has happened with so far as far as I know. In over 20 years of this franchise int he West, that's an achievement.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4745
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:13 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
I disagree, the thread is 40 pages because nobody is willing to budge on their stance or come to a middle ground and, more pertinently, the arguments go in circles and circles, which then start up again when a new user drops in and starts it all over again (not to mention the Banning discussion which took up three pages all on its own). Take those out and the thread would probably be seven or eight pages long of new evidence and news being posted and people reacting to it.
MasenkoHA wrote:You can pop in your Dragon Ball Z dvds (except maybe the Broly movies) and not even have to think or hear about it
I'd also recommend avoiding the Namek-era Kai episodes where Vic's intro (which is the best one ;_;) shows up.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Heh, have fun if the edited version of the dub goes into reruns, as Vic's intro was the only one Nicktoons and CW4Kids/Toonzai/Vortexx used back in the day.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 pm

KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to separate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
I disagree, the thread is 40 pages because nobody is willing to budge on their stance or come to a middle ground and, more pertinently, the arguments go in circles and circles, which then start up again when a new user drops in and starts it all over again (not to mention the Banning discussion which took up three pages all on its own). Take those out and the thread would probably be seven or eight pages long of new evidence and news being posted and people reacting to it.
MasenkoHA wrote:You can pop in your Dragon Ball Z dvds (except maybe the Broly movies) and not even have to think or hear about it
I'd also recommend avoiding the Namek-era Kai episodes where Vic's intro (which is the best one ;_;) shows up.
Meh, that's more YMMV if you can't separate an artist from their work. Granted, I know the person's saying that he can't, but it's just 2 minutes of Vic singing for 2 discs of Kai, which you can easily skip passed, especially if you use the "marathon" option on FUNi's DVDs, which bypass every opening & ending barring the first & last ones on the discs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13610
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
I disagree, the thread is 40 pages because nobody is willing to budge on their stance or come to a middle ground and, more pertinently, the arguments go in circles and circles, which then start up again when a new user drops in and starts it all over again (not to mention the Banning discussion which took up three pages all on its own). Take those out and the thread would probably be seven or eight pages long of new evidence and news being posted and people reacting to it.
MasenkoHA wrote:You can pop in your Dragon Ball Z dvds (except maybe the Broly movies) and not even have to think or hear about it
I'd also recommend avoiding the Namek-era Kai episodes where Vic's intro (which is the best one ;_;) shows up.
What the hell is a middle ground on sexual assault? Slightly less sexual assault?
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4745
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote:What the hell is a middle ground on sexual assault? Slightly less sexual assault?
I was referring to a middle-ground on one's stance and opinion on the matter, not "slightly less sexual assault happened", I guess. Didn't mean to offend, sorry.

Yasai11
Banned
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Yasai11 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm

What the hell is going on with Vic? Based off what I've learned, I have more reason to believe he's innocent until there's solid evidence that he's guilty. However, I do believe that Funimation is just trying to cover their own asses by throwing Vic under the bus. They've been acting weird lately and must be hiding something illegal.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 am

JulieYBM wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
I disagree, the thread is 40 pages because nobody is willing to budge on their stance or come to a middle ground and, more pertinently, the arguments go in circles and circles, which then start up again when a new user drops in and starts it all over again (not to mention the Banning discussion which took up three pages all on its own). Take those out and the thread would probably be seven or eight pages long of new evidence and news being posted and people reacting to it.
MasenkoHA wrote:You can pop in your Dragon Ball Z dvds (except maybe the Broly movies) and not even have to think or hear about it
I'd also recommend avoiding the Namek-era Kai episodes where Vic's intro (which is the best one ;_;) shows up.
What the hell is a middle ground on sexual assault? Slightly less sexual assault?
The phrase "sexual assault" isn't even applicable here.

Middle ground as in, people tend to be on one side "He sexually assaulted them!! He's a homophobic, and anti-Semetic!" or "He's innocent! These people are just faking it/making it up!" When both positions are completely and totally ridiculous. I think that's what they mean by "middle ground", and it makes sense.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 am

Yasai11 wrote:What the hell is going on with Vic? Based off what I've learned, I have more reason to believe he's innocent until there's solid evidence that he's guilty. However, I do believe that Funimation is just trying to cover their own asses by throwing Vic under the bus. They've been acting weird lately and must be hiding something illegal.
I mean, a LOT of companies are doing the same things to people under controversies. Netflix ditched Louis CK & Kevin Spacey when THEIR allegations came out. Disney, though they seem to have a sliding scale when it comes to these things because they forgave Vanessa Hudgens for her nude leaks back when High School Musical was still a thing, distanced themselves from James Gunn when HIS controversy came about. This isn't a new thing. Companies have been doing it for YEARS.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 am

Scsigs wrote:
Yasai11 wrote:What the hell is going on with Vic? Based off what I've learned, I have more reason to believe he's innocent until there's solid evidence that he's guilty. However, I do believe that Funimation is just trying to cover their own asses by throwing Vic under the bus. They've been acting weird lately and must be hiding something illegal.
I mean, a LOT of companies are doing the same things to people under controversies. Netflix ditched Louis CK & Kevin Spacey when THEIR allegations came out. Disney, though they seem to have a sliding scale when it comes to these things because they forgave Vanessa Hudgens for her nude leaks back when High School Musical was still a thing, distanced themselves from James Gunn when HIS controversy came about. This isn't a new thing. Companies have been doing it for YEARS.
Having leaked nudes isn't analogous to what Louis CK or Kevin Spacey did.....it shouldn't be shocking that Hudgens was forgiven but the others weren't. I mean, everyone has nudes, it's just a matter of whether they get leaked.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 am

You can do whatever you fucking want with yourself, that is completely, COMPLETELY different from doing things to others.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:46 am

Dagon wrote:Proof of falsified evidence and proof that voice actors(Monica Rial, Chris Sabat, Niel Kaplan) have an agenda against Vic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEM-w3vhF9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H3soKn-m0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDPM4djy_k
The last thing anyone should be doing is taking GamerGaters that complain about SJW's seriously.

Locked