Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:21 am

Truly sad all around. Sad for the women involved and sad for fans who considered him to be Broly like myself. Why did you have to do this shit, Vic? Lost one of my favorite VA's cause he couldn't keep it in his pants. Hope this teaches him a lesson of some sort...but it probably won't.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 am

Scsigs wrote:They've never redubbed anything anyways outside of early Z & bits of Yu Yu Hakusho to have more consistent recordings of their casts (minus Sean Schemmel, who could've used it the most).
"They wouldn't redub anything to maintain casting consistency outside of these instances where they've redubbed lines to maintain casting consistency." :wtf:

Even then, you're not entirely correct. There's a thread right here on the first page discussing possible reasons for why Maron was (seemingly arbitrarily) redubbed for the orange bricks. I find it unlikely they'll ever recast Vic's lines in the film because the resources heavily outweigh the benefits, but there's at least some precedent here.
Scsigs wrote:Doesn't mean he's not still Broly, or Sabo.
That's exactly what it means. "Future productions" isn't limited to new shows; it's the whole shebang, at least where Funimation is concerned.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:37 am

Fionordequester wrote: Only 230 out of 1000 Sexual Assaults are Reported (also gives reasons for why that is):
https://www.rainn.org/statistics/crimin ... ice-system

Testimony Counts as "Evidence":
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3502

FUNimation Themselves Conducted an Investigation:
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzKJ7v6V4AA1st2.jpg)

Relevant excerpts from "Illia Sadri": A long time con staff member
(https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=105)

Tempet: ANN Publisher & CEO
(https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=120)

More Relevant Excerpts reaching as far back as 2011:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... s/67872530
https://hetalia-wank.livejournal.com/31 ... 71#t115571
http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr ... /%20Creepy

Photoshopping Claim is False (note how Valerie Dave's name was NOT blanked out when this was leaked):
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 01/1cb.jpg
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 03/fcf.jpg
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 05/ab1.jpg

"Valerie Depa" FB Account was Stolen from Someone Else to Smear "KickVic":
https://www.deviantart.com/laundrysoapm ... -784600047
It's a shame that some of those girls said that after their experience with Vic, they will never go to an anime con ever again. Ruins that entire genre of events for them.

I see people in one of them talking about Vic actually sleeping with a girl at a con, but they were only talking about having heard about it, not personal experience or even that they can speak on it with any level of certainty. Any other sources that would talk about that?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 am

Ugh. Don't read the comments under those Funimation tweets if you have any residual faith in humanity you're trying to keep alive.

I felt like most of the discourse surrounding this had reached a point where most of it was sensible, but I guess I just follow too many smart people. Now the floodgates are open, the #IStandWithVic is flying and the saddos are calling for Monica Rial's head (there were plenty of people who called out Vic, but you've got to have a witch to burn, right?) My favourite are the ones saying they're going to boycott Funimation for this. Like, I'll bet the majority of these angry teenage boys haven't spent a cent on Funimation and only follow Dragon Ball through DBZA because that's the only way they can get it for free. But if they're just talking about abandoning the English dub, even better. Bin Shimada was always the better Broly, Vic was only decent in the last movie because it had better material to work with.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:44 am

Kataphrut wrote:Ugh. Don't read the comments under those Funimation tweets if you have any residual faith in humanity you're trying to keep alive.

I felt like most of the discourse surrounding this had reached a point where most of it was sensible, but I guess I just follow too many smart people. Now the floodgates are open, the #IStandWithVic is flying and the saddos are calling for Monica Rial's head (there were plenty of people who called out Vic, but you've got to have a witch to burn, right?) My favourite are the ones saying they're going to boycott Funimation for this. Like, I'll bet the majority of these angry teenage boys haven't spent a cent on Funimation and only follow Dragon Ball through DBZA because that's the only way they can get it for free. But if they're just talking about abandoning the English dub, even better. Bin Shimada was always the better Broly, Vic was only decent in the last movie because it had better material to work with.
Ugh. IMO if they're doing that, they should also be attacking Sabat as he's important enough within FUNimation to have had a major say about it (but nooooo, he's the voice of Vegeta and thus untouchable and a saint).

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Woodlandbuckle wrote:we gonna talk about this "Jamie Marchie" that said she wanted Vic's head?
What does it matter? The piece of shit touched her in inappropriate ways.
Vic is still a human. A very flawed human, but a human nonetheless. Also, it's my personal opinion that Jamie Marchie should not have said that in a public forum, regardless of how she feels. I'm no lawyer, but that could come back to bite her.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:50 am

KBABZ wrote:IMO if they're doing that, they should also be attacking Sabat as he's important enough within FUNimation to have had a major say about it (but nooooo, he's the voice of Vegeta and thus untouchable and a saint).
They're attacking him too. Just not as much because fewer people know he has commented. People are also attacking Schemmel and Strait for the Mangina skits, though in that case most people just seem disillusioned and sad. Lots of quote-RTs with "Fuck Sean", "lost all respect", etc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:12 am

Terez wrote:
KBABZ wrote:IMO if they're doing that, they should also be attacking Sabat as he's important enough within FUNimation to have had a major say about it (but nooooo, he's the voice of Vegeta and thus untouchable and a saint).
They're attacking him too. Just not as much because fewer people know he has commented. People are also attacking Schemmel and Strait for the Mangina skits, though in that case most people just seem disillusioned and sad. Lots of quote-RTs with "Fuck Sean", "lost all respect", etc.
+0.1 for consistency, I guess.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:14 am

Schemmel and Strait's dislike for Vic dates far back before the allegations. They even used to have a video series on Schemmel's YouTube channel that was basically him low-key shitting on Vic. I believe it was called "Kip Mangina." He deleted it some years ago, but I'm sure there are reuploads of it. I also know that in Funimation, a lot of people don’t like him because of how he’s treated other voice actors who're homosexuals (like J. Michael Tatum and Greg Ayres) and how he’s treated fans (being inappropriate with teenage girls).

Guntank

Post by Guntank » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 am

I met Vic twice in my life and he seemed like such a nice kind hearted guy.
It really sucks that he wasn't such a nice guy I feel terrible for the victims who had to hold all this for years, at the same time It makes me happy to know Funimation is investigating and that VAs have outed him for the creep that he is.

I feel the reason people are divided so much on this because there are some youtubers and people in social media taking this opportunity to spread misinformation. thats why when you talk about this issue about Vic, you get the obvious most annoying yet simple-minded response "Where's the proof"
i just hope the victims can find a peace of mind once this is all over

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am

It's crazy to me that this thread was able to get to nearly 50 pages in just a couple of days (which doesn't really happen on this website) and that Vic got kicked from Funi, Rooster Teeth, and nearly every major convention. Everyone has done an amazing job doing research and getting the message across to these major companies. I've seen a lot of "Vic supporters" "protesting" by cancelling their Funimation subscriptions, so I think I'm just gonna start buying more Blu-rays of Funimation's site to help them.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:They've never redubbed anything anyways outside of early Z & bits of Yu Yu Hakusho to have more consistent recordings of their casts (minus Sean Schemmel, who could've used it the most).
"They wouldn't redub anything to maintain casting consistency outside of these instances where they've redubbed lines to maintain casting consistency." :wtf:

Even then, you're not entirely correct. There's a thread right here on the first page discussing possible reasons for why Maron was (seemingly arbitrarily) redubbed for the orange bricks. I find it unlikely they'll ever recast Vic's lines in the film because the resources heavily outweigh the benefits, but there's at least some precedent here.
That was my point exactly. If it seems contradictory, it's only because that's literally what's happened. They literally only redubbed certain things in Z & Hakusho to maintain consistency or have actors with better performances for the characters. Z needed it the most, since it was the one show they dubbed with the most cast inconsistencies & really bad performances, especially early on where they were still getting into the groove of dubbing the show. Yu Yu Hakusho, I believe, had something similar with their rerecordings for the Blu-Rays. However, they've literally never done it again anywhere else, unless you count Kai's initial dubbing where Sabat screwed around & recorded stuff either for censorship reasons, or stuff for older fans of the franchise's English dubs. I personally don't because those lines were never meant to be the definitive lines for the show & they did both versions at the same times. Also, it lead to inconsistencies in the attack names on the home releases, but that's besides the point.
Other than those, they've NEVER done that again, so don't expect them to redub anything Vic's in that they own the license to. It's just not gonna happen. And since it's very likely they're gonna recast Broly & Sabo, I wonder who they're gonna get to voice match him. Sabo was basically his regular voice & Broly could probably be done by anyone who regularly plays characters like him.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

I strongly debated whether I was going to say anything in this thread because I don't have any first-hand accounts of inappropriate behavior on Vic's part, only more rumors. That said, some of these rumors were publicly confirmed, and the ones that weren't still come from reliable sources. So, with that in mind...
Izanagi wrote:Schemmel and Strait's dislike for Vic dates far back before the allegations. They even used to have a video series on Schemmel's YouTube channel that was basically him low-key shitting on Vic.
Sean straight-up hates Vic. And he has for quite a number of years (at least since the beginning of the Kai dub, but he made it sound like it goes back far longer than that). He more or less said so in some posts on his Facebook fan page, which he took down a few weeks after the Kai dub began airing on Nicktoons. In the interest of providing context, what prompted him to share his feelings about Vic was when people started making mash-up videos of "Dragon Soul" featuring Sean and Vic's versions being sung side-by-side. A fan asked Sean what he thought about those videos, and he said that while he doesn't blame any fans for making them, he really didn't like them because he didn't want to be associated with Vic in any way he didn't have to be. He said he wasn't going to elaborate in the interest of not stirring up a bunch of unnecessary drama, but after all this coming out, I think he feels like he can be a little more open about it.
Izanagi wrote:I also know that in Funimation, a lot of people don’t like him...
Not just FUNimation. I probably shouldn't go into detail since these comments weren't made in a public forum (like Sean's comments on Facebook), but let's just say there were quite a number of people in the LA dubbing world who weren't fond of him either. The problems they mentioned didn't really touch on his inappropriate behavior with fans, and were instead more about him being unpleasant to work with in general. To quote one person he worked with, "He has burned a lot of bridges because of his behavior."

Mind you, the above comment was made in 2015. In light of these developments, that quote sounds like an understatement.
Izanagi wrote:...because of how he’s treated other voice actors who're homosexuals (like J. Michael Tatum and Greg Ayres) and how he’s treated fans (being inappropriate with teenage girls).
Sean never confirmed if this is why he didn't like Vic, but I have a strong hunch: Sean mentioned on his Facebook fan page (also many years ago) that his father is gay. So, if Vic treats homosexuals the way he is rumored to, and Sean and Vic ended up talking about homosexuality for whatever reason, it's hard for me to believe that that conversation didn't get very tense very quickly.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Woodlandbuckle wrote:we gonna talk about this "Jamie Marchie" that said she wanted Vic's head?
What does it matter? The piece of shit touched her in inappropriate ways.
Vic is still a human. A very flawed human, but a human nonetheless. Also, it's my personal opinion that Jamie Marchie should not have said that in a public forum, regardless of how she feels. I'm no lawyer, but that could come back to bite her.
If someone is an abuser who's assaulted and victimized you and dozens of others, has taken advantage of their position in your industry to perpetuate this abuse and consistently get away with it scot free, while you've seen no justice or recourse for what you've suffered... you're not gonna be happy about it. It's very normal to want your abuser to suffer consequences for their actions.

This idea that the victim has to be above reproach, cannot express their anger, has to maintain the coolest of heads, after not only being abused but also the indignity suffering in silence for years due to the power imbalance between them and their abuser... It's absolute crap. This kind of statement shows way more consideration for a serial abuser's well-being than the rights of their victims.

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Thought I'd post this here. If anyone says "Where's the evidence?" to the Vic accusations just show them this Image
(if you want to see it in a higher resolution then open the image in a new tab and at the end of the URL type ".orig")
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote:It's crazy to me that this thread was able to get to nearly 50 pages in just a couple of days (which doesn't really happen on this website) and that Vic got kicked from Funi, Rooster Teeth, and nearly every major convention. Everyone has done an amazing job doing research and getting the message across to these major companies. I've seen a lot of "Vic supporters" "protesting" by cancelling their Funimation subscriptions, so I think I'm just gonna start buying more Blu-rays of Funimation's site to help them.
It's a f**king joke, some YT are telling people not to support FUNi legally... apparently those people also think Monica is solely responsible* for this even though she didn't even come out with exact details and the whole line from FUNi about internal investigations naturally a lot of people have completely ignored.

*Ironically enough I have seen some videos of people claiming she has rumoured to have taken some of Vic's positions.... so these people are reporting these rumours as facts yet somehow dismiss all these allegations against Vic because of "no evidence".... :roll:

I don't get it. Vic isn't that big anymore his VA roles at FUNi weren't even frequent anymore last few years, yet some people probably saw him cry at a panel and think that absolves him. Granted Vic may have been sincere but it's hard to give sympathy because he made his bed.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Aside of many shit that happened about this (from both sides), I need to ask: will Studipolis fire Mignogna too? Recently he dubbed Gouki Shibukawa in the new Baki anime, and Ranpo Edogawa in Bungou Stray Dogs. Two shows that are dubbed in Studiopolis.
I think Baki's dub was already finished, but Bungou Stray Dogs will have a new season this year, so is very likely to Ranpo get a new voice.
JulieYBM wrote:It's a shame that Japanese cartoons attract right-wingers when in general they're made by so many queer and otherwise apolitical or left-wing folks. It's an even bigger shame that there is so little sympathy towards one's fellow geeks when they are harmed.
I'm sorry, but... wut!? I don't know of Dragon Ball being produced by queers. Toriyama isn't a queer, or any of Toei's producers as far as I know. Just an example.
Also, Japan is a pretty conservative country. It makes no sense on saying that most anime creators and producers are queers, left-wingers or anything similar.

And, I need to say that old left-wing and socialist countries were the worst countries ever for any minority group. Now, please, let's not put political sides in this discussion, since is not something really appropriated.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Aside of many shit that happened about this (from both sides), I need to ask: will Studipolis fire Mignogna too? Recently he dubbed Gouki Shibukawa in the new Baki anime, and Ranpo Edogawa in Bungou Stray Dogs. Two shows that are dubbed in Studiopolis.
I think Baki's dub was already finished, but Bungou Stray Dogs will have a new season this year, so is very likely to Ranpo get a new voice.
JulieYBM wrote:It's a shame that Japanese cartoons attract right-wingers when in general they're made by so many queer and otherwise apolitical or left-wing folks. It's an even bigger shame that there is so little sympathy towards one's fellow geeks when they are harmed.
I'm sorry, but... wut!? I don't know of Dragon Ball being produced by queers. Toriyama isn't a queer, or any of Toei's producers as far as I know. Just an example.
Also, Japan is a pretty conservative country. It makes no sense on saying that most anime creators and producers are queers, left-wingers or anything similar.

And, I need to say that old left-wing and socialist countries were the worst countries ever for any minority group. Now, please, let's not put political sides in this discussion, since is not something really appropriated.
> Makes his political views abundantly clear.
> “Now guys! Lets not makes this about politics!”

What a fucking cornball.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:And, I need to say that old left-wing and socialist countries were the worst countries ever for any minority group. Now, please, let's not put political sides in this discussion, since is not something really appropriated.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Bryesque wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:And, I need to say that old left-wing and socialist countries were the worst countries ever for any minority group. Now, please, let's not put political sides in this discussion, since is not something really appropriated.
Libtards/cuntservatives are jerks! Don’t @ me!