Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:Is Monica Rial the evil mastermind behind this devious scheme? Were these big bad villains plotting to get poor little Vic fired for over a decade?.
This is the actual truth though. All of this has been Monica Rial’s neferious plot to steal the role of Broly from Vic. Right now she’s in her evil hideout sitting in her chair stroking the head of her right-hand cat “Soon, soon my precious the role of Broly will be mine and it will be my power that is maximum!”



I low key want Rial to take over the Broly role now. On the condition that she performs him as her Momoko character from Ghost Stories.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Yalos » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I hope he can still voice the greatest character of all time Bubsy the Bobcat

User avatar
Terez
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: IL, USA

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Terez » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 pm

WittyUsername wrote:So, uh...not only have several fans on Twitter pulled up a couple of pictures of Monica Rial kissing fans on the cheek, but someone on Twitter apparently accused Jamie Marchi of sexual assault.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GhostShellZe ... 0339710979

What exactly do we make of this? The person who made that accusation could very well simply shit-posting, especially with the “IStandWithVic” hashtag, but how can we know for sure?

Edit: What is happening? (https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanValkyri ... 8551355392)
I think you answered your own question.

Kefla
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:18 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kefla » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 pm

People are also claiming Monica did things to them, which I can tell are completely false. Real pity I can’t post any pictures of what I discovered.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Terez wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:So, uh...not only have several fans on Twitter pulled up a couple of pictures of Monica Rial kissing fans on the cheek, but someone on Twitter apparently accused Jamie Marchi of sexual assault.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GhostShellZe ... 0339710979

What exactly do we make of this? The person who made that accusation could very well simply shit-posting, especially with the “IStandWithVic” hashtag, but how can we know for sure?

Edit: What is happening? (https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanValkyri ... 8551355392)
I think you answered your own question.
This is just insane. If people are seriously trying to muddy the waters by going after Rial and Marchi, then the anime fandom must give Star Wars fans a run for their money in terms of being downright awful.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8824
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm

In this case, as with so many other "Internet controversies", I think a good question to ask is "what would happen if this person had any job other than [voice actor/actor/musician/e-celeb]"? Just take out the (heavy quotes here) "celebrity" pedestal away and view it as any other person in any other occupation. Say Mignogna's just a successful accountant or something, and the same thing happened. Now, after doing that... were you this accountant's boss, how exactly would you react when 20 plus unrelated customers and coworkers over the course of 10 plus years, repeating their accusations at around the same time in one specific year, all accused him of inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to groping and unwanted kissing, and all of his coworkers respond to these accusations with "yeah that sounds about right"?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Terez wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:So, uh...not only have several fans on Twitter pulled up a couple of pictures of Monica Rial kissing fans on the cheek, but someone on Twitter apparently accused Jamie Marchi of sexual assault.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GhostShellZe ... 0339710979

What exactly do we make of this? The person who made that accusation could very well simply shit-posting, especially with the “IStandWithVic” hashtag, but how can we know for sure?

Edit: What is happening? (https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanValkyri ... 8551355392)
I think you answered your own question.
This is just insane. If people are seriously trying to muddy the waters by going after Rial and Marchi, then the anime fandom must give Star Wars fans a run for their money in terms of being downright awful.
To be fair, Jamie was a bit too riled up about this sitiation. While I get her frustration, stating that you want someone's head in a public space like twitter isn't really the best course of action. Regardless of where you stand on this issue, Monica and Jamie have divided their respective fanbases.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6938
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kendamu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:09 pm

I get it. I honestly do. I will say, though, that it's really, really hard to not want someone's head when you've been a victim of the person's sexual misconduct. Especially when like a thousand people still celebrate the man and also repeatedly demand proof that's obviously unobtainable (like I wear a bodycam 24/7 or something) in bad faith for like a week straight all in your Twitter mentions.

Some people end up never speaking out at all or only tell their story to close friends who are in or adjacent to the industry specifically because of treatment like this. I mean, look how the women who HAVE come forward publicly are being treated for having done so.

Luckily for some people, Funimation launched an internal investigation and the victims who were afraid to just shout it out to the public got to have their say. I'm grateful that they get to stay safe in this mess.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Terez wrote: I think you answered your own question.
This is just insane. If people are seriously trying to muddy the waters by going after Rial and Marchi, then the anime fandom must give Star Wars fans a run for their money in terms of being downright awful.
To be fair, Jamie was a bit too riled up about this sitiation. While I get her frustration, stating that you want someone's head in a public space like twitter isn't really the best course of action. Regardless of where you stand on this issue, Monica and Jamie have divided their respective fanbases.
I didn’t even think that this KickVic thing was going to hurt FUNimation in the long run, but given how a bunch of anime fans now seem to want Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi gone, I’m starting to wonder if this actually could spell trouble for FUNimation.

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3607
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Kendamu wrote:Some people end up never speaking out at all or only tell their story to close friends who are in or adjacent to the industry specifically because of treatment like this. I mean, look how the women who HAVE come forward publicly are being treated for having done so.
Precisely. For those saying, "If this happened, why didn't people say something earlier?"...well, this is one of the (many possible) reasons why. Without physical evidence that something happened (and like Kendamu said, nobody's wearing a body-cam 24/7), you run the risk of making yourself vulnerable to hate-mobs, both online and off.

For that matter, not only do you make yourself vulnerable, you run the risk of making those around you vulnerable. I'm sure many people will recall this, but for those who don't, years ago there was a major scandal involving Jerry Sandusky, an assistant football coach for Pennsylvania State University, who was accused--and later, convicted--of molesting, and in some cases raping, multiple underage boys over several decades. Tragically, one of the victims was his adopted son, Matthew. I found a clip of Matthew being interviewed by Oprah, and I think one of the most powerful moments of this interview was when she asked him if he regretted coming forward. The clip is here, but basically, trying to hold back tears, he said that, while the molestation in question did occur, he did regret coming forward about it because of the ridicule his wife and children received.

Bottom line, there are many, many reasons why someone would wait to come forward with accusations of sexual harassment. And that's if they decide to come forward at all.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Terez
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: IL, USA

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Terez » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

gokaiblue wrote:To be fair, Jamie was a bit too riled up about this sitiation. While I get her frustration, stating that you want someone's head in a public space like twitter isn't really the best course of action. Regardless of where you stand on this issue, Monica and Jamie have divided their respective fanbases.
To be fair, there's a big difference between falsifying evidence against someone and getting riled up at someone who has been a huge creep to you (and Marchi said when she told her story that it was minor in comparison to some other stories she knows). Marchi is at least putting her honest feelings out there. (Rial hasn't even come close to "going too far" in my opinion. She's just understandably frustrated and people are mocking her over stupid shit.)

I think a lot of people just aren't putting themselves in these women's shoes. Women have been talking about Vic Mignogna for years to the point that I was familiar with the stories before I started modding r/dbz. They're everywhere, and have been for a long time. He's a textbook example of a "missing stair", a problem that everyone knows about, but no one with the power to do anything about it has rectified the problem. Dub studios keep hiring him; cons keep inviting him.

People with the power to hire have confessed to hiring him despite knowing the stories. People whose boundaries have been crossed have confronted him directly only to see him go back to the same shit. Sean Schemmel and Sonny Strait mocked him for being a pedophile and a tantrum-throwing diva in a comedy skit 7 years ago. Dub studios keep hiring him, and cons keep inviting him. Sabat (voice director for Broly) obviously didn't want Mignogna; the whole cast was announced after Trailer 1 came out except for Mignogna. But in the end they didn't put their foot down on him, and we don't know why.

I think the only reason Rial and Marchi spoke out publicly is because they had seen others like Jessie Pridemore go forward with their stories and get attacked by a mob of internet children on a terribly misguided justice crusade. They spoke up because they hoped their voices—the voices of people who knew him better than any fan—would lend weight to the stories of adjacent professionals and regular fans. And then they had to deal with the mob too. These kids pile on with "innocent until proven guilty" to silence anyone with anything short of video evidence (basically everyone), go on hunts to find any detail they think they can use to further silence them—oh no, Monica Rial is doing her best to get along with her coworker!—and in many cases outright falsify evidence against the victims.

The women who have been on the receiving end of Mignogna's creepy behavior have a right to be upset. He has been going "too far" for many years now; let's recognize that and deal with the systems that exist to silence victims like his. Maybe then we won't have to contend with angry women being angry.

User avatar
excelhedge
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:35 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by excelhedge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:01 am

The only reason Monica and Marchi are being targeted is becuase they made the the mistake of being public about the situation. Unlike everyone else including Vic himself giving generic simple "no comment" or a simple responses and dropping it.

These two instead come out to the "proverbial Shark Tank" of fans wanting answers and painted targets on their backs saying Vic harassed them and just being antagonistic in general.

Is it right? No. But they should have taken after their coworkers and just stopped talking about Vic in general.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6938
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 am

The problem is that Vic's earned a reputation for this sort of thing over a number of years because fans and con staff shared their stories but the companies who employed him did nothing.

I honestly believe that the reason Funimation finally took action was because Vic's coworkers spoke up this time.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13609
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:58 am

excelhedge wrote:The only reason Monica and Marchi are being targeted is becuase they made the the mistake of being public about the situation. Unlike everyone else including Vic himself giving generic simple "no comment" or a simple responses and dropping it.

These two instead come out to the "proverbial Shark Tank" of fans wanting answers and painted targets on their backs saying Vic harassed them and just being antagonistic in general.

Is it right? No. But they should have taken after their coworkers and just stopped talking about Vic in general.
That only makes abusers more powerful. This needs to be brought out into the open to diminish their power.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2791
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 am

JulieYBM wrote:
excelhedge wrote:The only reason Monica and Marchi are being targeted is becuase they made the the mistake of being public about the situation. Unlike everyone else including Vic himself giving generic simple "no comment" or a simple responses and dropping it.

These two instead come out to the "proverbial Shark Tank" of fans wanting answers and painted targets on their backs saying Vic harassed them and just being antagonistic in general.

Is it right? No. But they should have taken after their coworkers and just stopped talking about Vic in general.
That only makes abusers more powerful. This needs to be brought out into the open to diminish their power.
I would actually have to agree that I think it would’ve been best for everyone who’s worked with Vic Mignogna to simply keep quiet about the whole thing and let the guys in charge deal with things. Social media can be a very dangerous tool, and when someone has a dedicated fanbase, going after them can prove to be a very risky endeavor. That’s the problem with websites like Twitter and YouTube in general, really, any vindicative psychopath can join.

User avatar
excelhedge
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:35 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by excelhedge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:11 am

JulieYBM wrote:
excelhedge wrote:The only reason Monica and Marchi are being targeted is becuase they made the the mistake of being public about the situation. Unlike everyone else including Vic himself giving generic simple "no comment" or a simple responses and dropping it.

These two instead come out to the "proverbial Shark Tank" of fans wanting answers and painted targets on their backs saying Vic harassed them and just being antagonistic in general.

Is it right? No. But they should have taken after their coworkers and just stopped talking about Vic in general.
That only makes abusers more powerful. This needs to be brought out into the open to diminish their power.
And that should be done in court under the guise of the law, after a verdict is made. Not on Social Media. You don't get to play the victim while antagonizing people or calling for Vic's balls.

We already know Vic is taking it to court so only time will tell.

So far Monica and Marchi really aren't doing themselves favors cuz if Vic's lawyers were smart they would have already taken screenshots of the tweets and facebook posts and use it to paint them as the ones harrassing Vic.

Meanwhile Vic's posts have been apologetic and not antagonistic, which just works even more for him.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:18 am

WittyUsername wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
excelhedge wrote:The only reason Monica and Marchi are being targeted is because they made the the mistake of being public about the situation. Unlike everyone else including Vic himself giving generic simple "no comment" or a simple responses and dropping it.

These two instead come out to the "proverbial Shark Tank" of fans wanting answers and painted targets on their backs saying Vic harassed them and just being antagonistic in general.

Is it right? No. But they should have taken after their coworkers and just stopped talking about Vic in general.
That only makes abusers more powerful. This needs to be brought out into the open to diminish their power.
I would actually have to agree that I think it would’ve been best for everyone who’s worked with Vic Mignogna to simply keep quiet about the whole thing and let the guys in charge deal with things. Social media can be a very dangerous tool, and when someone has a dedicated fanbase, going after them can prove to be a very risky endeavor. That’s the problem with websites like Twitter and YouTube in general, really, any vindictive psychopath can join.
The problem I have with them doing it is I've seen Monica literally repeat stuff like, "I won't be harassed. I'm taking a screenshot of this & sending it to my lawyer" & shit like that. Like, what? What is she hoping to accomplish with that? Most people on Twitter, & social media in general, don't use their real names or pictures of themselves for profile pics unless they're an online personality or a celebrity. They also don't go around posting their private info like where they live & if they DO post email addresses, it's most likely just a business email. Is she expecting to have her lawyer send cease & desist letters? Is she planning on suing them? What is the point? Is she just pulling a Derek Savage, or what? It's just making her look bad & kinda stupid. I get she has legit problems with Vic & doesn't wanna be harassed for sharing her feelings (even though WE don't know the context of why she hates him), but that's not really the way to deal with overzealous people. Muting or blocking is the better alternative, trust me.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6125
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:58 am

Anyone see this old video Schemmel and Strait made parodying Vic?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2639
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:23 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Anyone see this old video Schemmel and Strait made parodying Vic?
Well that comment section is fucking depressing.


I have no clue why Dic Mignogna is the pseudo celebrity a bunch of anime fans are willing to break their backs bending over backwards for

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:47 am

Video is absolutely hilarious, especially the part where he's like "it's inspirational". XDDDDDDD
MasenkoHA wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Anyone see this old video Schemmel and Strait made parodying Vic?
Well that comment section is fucking depressing.


I have no clue why Dic Mignogna is the pseudo celebrity a bunch of anime fans are willing to break their backs bending over backwards for
Just gonna be honest, a lot of people who are shitty like people who are shitty so I wouldn't get too depressed about it. Just consider them what they are, garbage.

Locked