Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 pm

FlpShimizu wrote:They are still defending a criminal. He could have been worse, but that surely doesn't make him good.
No, but it IS a bit of false equivalency. A criminal? Maybe. A rapist? No. Yet people are treating him as if he IS one. That's kind of the problem with treating everything bad as if it's on the same level, which internet outrage culture tends to do. He took pictures with fans & got a bit too comfortable with getting to up close & personal with them. This made some of them uncomfortable. He's willingly admitted that & has stated he's going to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future. Can we all just take a step back to at least give him credit on that one? I mean, that's more than the bigger people at Channel Awesome did, who were SO willing to throw every creator who wasn't Doug Walker under the bus as to not take ANY responsibility in their wrongdoings. And THEY specifically called out 3 women when making their response after saying, "we're sorry you felt that way." THEY didn't even care enough to give a proper apology, Vic did. I think that speaks volumes.
And THEY had an actual rapist, 2 in fact, under their employ for a while. Plus they were guilty of a LOT of other messed up shit from over the years.
TVfan721 wrote:The backlash against Sean Schemmel is surreal to watch. Do you guys think this could have an impact on his career going forward?
No. Sean just made videos satirizing Vic's attitude at the time & is siding with Rial. Unless FUNi REALLY wants to get rid of their Goku, which WOULD actually affect their bottom line unlike Vic, they're not gonna do anything.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:50 pm

PFM18 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I don't think Vic committed anything nearly as severe as any of the other people you mentioned, either.

Yes, as far as I am aware he hasn’t raped or attempted rape.

It doesn’t diminish his behavior just because there are people who have done worse things but unless new info comes out let’s keep in mind Mignogna is that creepy guy at work not a rapist or a molester.
You're completely missing the point. Point is, we shouldn't be surprised that Vic has more people defending him/supporting him than people who have committed rape or other things ike that. Somebody proposed his support is a function of being Christian, when in reality he simply hasn't committed the severe crimes that the people he was compared to had done.
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: No. Sean just made videos satirizing Vic's attitude at the time & is siding with Rial. Unless FUNi REALLY wants to get rid of their Goku, which WOULD actually affect their bottom line unlike Vic, they're not gonna do anything.
This. Schemmel is waaaay more valuable to Funimation than Mignogna fans think Vic is.

And I say this as someone who doesn’t even like Schemmel’s work all that much and wouldn’t lose sleep if he got replaced as Goku.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

Yes, as far as I am aware he hasn’t raped or attempted rape.

It doesn’t diminish his behavior just because there are people who have done worse things but unless new info comes out let’s keep in mind Mignogna is that creepy guy at work not a rapist or a molester.
You're completely missing the point. Point is, we shouldn't be surprised that Vic has more people defending him/supporting him than people who have committed rape or other things ike that. Somebody proposed his support is a function of being Christian, when in reality he simply hasn't committed the severe crimes that the people he was compared to had done.
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
Multiple women have talked about him hitting on them when they were underage. He’s been known for this for years

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote: No. Sean just made videos satirizing Vic's attitude at the time & is siding with Rial. Unless FUNi REALLY wants to get rid of their Goku, which WOULD actually affect their bottom line unlike Vic, they're not gonna do anything.
This. Schemmel is waaaay more valuable to Funimation than Mignogna fans think Vic is.

And I say this as someone who doesn’t even like Schemmel’s work all that much and wouldn’t lose sleep if he got replaced as Goku.
I mean, what's the worst thing Schemmel's done while under their employ? Have an attitude? Get Peter Kalemis uninvited from a Con because he'd prefer people be credited, & take credit, for their own work rather than his like he does for them? And even then, Kalemis got reinvited afterwards. That's really nothing compared to making fans uncomfortable when taking pictures with them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote: No. Sean just made videos satirizing Vic's attitude at the time & is siding with Rial. Unless FUNi REALLY wants to get rid of their Goku, which WOULD actually affect their bottom line unlike Vic, they're not gonna do anything.
This. Schemmel is waaaay more valuable to Funimation than Mignogna fans think Vic is.

And I say this as someone who doesn’t even like Schemmel’s work all that much and wouldn’t lose sleep if he got replaced as Goku.
I mean, what's the worst thing Schemmel's done while under their employ? Have an attitude? Get Peter Kalemis uninvited from a Con because he'd prefer people be credited, & take credit, for their own work rather than his like he does for them? And even then, Kalemis got reinvited afterwards. That's really nothing compared to making fans uncomfortable when taking pictures with them.

He comes off a bit douchey and seems to have a hard time accepting there’s like 3 other main English Goku’s. Which is like dude chill most DBZ fans act like you’re the only damn Goku anyways. But yeah he hasn’t done anything comparable to icky vicky.

Chris Sabat and Sonny Strait seem to like him at any rate.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:11 pm

From what I hear, Sean can be kind of an egotist at times, he's a bit entitled over his role as Goku. The Kelamis thing I've heard conflicting evidence on, as Geekdom says it didn't go down that way and on twitter the guy seems to not hold much of a grudge. I know he basically responded to a question about the Goku Black accent with "weeewww the essjaydabyews" once, which was fuckin' stupid.

But all those things together doesn't compare to just being a creepy piece of shit, sexually harassing coworkers and fans, screaming profanities at your voice directors etc.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

Yes, as far as I am aware he hasn’t raped or attempted rape.

It doesn’t diminish his behavior just because there are people who have done worse things but unless new info comes out let’s keep in mind Mignogna is that creepy guy at work not a rapist or a molester.
You're completely missing the point. Point is, we shouldn't be surprised that Vic has more people defending him/supporting him than people who have committed rape or other things ike that. Somebody proposed his support is a function of being Christian, when in reality he simply hasn't committed the severe crimes that the people he was compared to had done.
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
I don't remember everything exactly what Vic has done, but none of it actually amounts to things like Spacey being accused of attempted rape or literally just putting his hands down an underage child's pants and touching their penis. THAT is sexual assault. Vic has done no such thing. Naturally, he gets more support for not literally being a felon.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
You're completely missing the point. Point is, we shouldn't be surprised that Vic has more people defending him/supporting him than people who have committed rape or other things ike that. Somebody proposed his support is a function of being Christian, when in reality he simply hasn't committed the severe crimes that the people he was compared to had done.
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
I don't remember everything exactly what Vic has done, but none of it actually amounts to things like Spacey being accused of attempted rape or literally just putting his hands down an underage child's pants and touching their penis. THAT is sexual assault. Vic has done no such thing. Naturally, he gets more support for not literally being a felon.
And he is not being arrested so what is your point?

Your posts are diminishing what happened to Vic’s victims as not a big deal and that is unfair.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5607
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Scsigs wrote:And THEY had an actual rapist, 2 in fact, under their employ for a while. Plus they were guilty of a LOT of other messed up shit from over the years.
Who was the other one besides JewWario?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:58 pm

PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
You're completely missing the point. Point is, we shouldn't be surprised that Vic has more people defending him/supporting him than people who have committed rape or other things ike that. Somebody proposed his support is a function of being Christian, when in reality he simply hasn't committed the severe crimes that the people he was compared to had done.
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
I don't remember everything exactly what Vic has done, but none of it actually amounts to things like Spacey being accused of attempted rape or literally just putting his hands down an underage child's pants and touching their penis. THAT is sexual assault. Vic has done no such thing. Naturally, he gets more support for not literally being a felon.
Technically, didn’t the lawsuit against Spacey allege that he groped an 18 year old? Of course, there was the Anthony Rapp thing, which was just awful, especially with Spacey’s response.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 am

WittyUsername wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
I don't remember everything exactly what Vic has done, but none of it actually amounts to things like Spacey being accused of attempted rape or literally just putting his hands down an underage child's pants and touching their penis. THAT is sexual assault. Vic has done no such thing. Naturally, he gets more support for not literally being a felon.
Technically, didn’t the lawsuit against Spacey allege that he groped an 18 year old? Of course, there was the Anthony Rapp thing, which was just awful, especially with Spacey’s response.
The article I read said that it was a 16 year old, I believe.
Kinokima wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Wasn’t there a woman who claimed he tried to seduce her when she was 16?
I don't remember everything exactly what Vic has done, but none of it actually amounts to things like Spacey being accused of attempted rape or literally just putting his hands down an underage child's pants and touching their penis. THAT is sexual assault. Vic has done no such thing. Naturally, he gets more support for not literally being a felon.
And he is not being arrested so what is your point?

Your posts are diminishing what happened to Vic’s victims as not a big deal and that is unfair.
My point is that somebody claimed that Vic has more defenders/support because he is a devout Christian. I simply contend that it is because his offenses are dramatically less egregious than the other names they mentioned like Spacey.

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:35 am

PFM18 wrote:
The article I read said that it was a 16 year old, I believe.
It says here he was an 18 year old (https://www.marketwatch.com/story/kevin ... 2019-01-07).

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am

PFM18 wrote:
My point is that somebody claimed that Vic has more defenders/support because he is a devout Christian. I simply contend that it is because his offenses are dramatically less egregious than the other names they mentioned like Spacey.
But that’s not what is happening at all. The majority of Vic’s defenders have decided he’s been falsely accused of any wrong doing and Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Monica Rial, Marzgurl and whoever else are all trying to ruin him.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am

FlpShimizu wrote:They are still defending a criminal. He could have been worse, but that surely doesn't make him good.
Just to be clear, Vic has not been charged with a crime.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6884
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 am

Scsigs wrote: No, but it IS a bit of false equivalency. A criminal? Maybe. A rapist? No. Yet people are treating him as if he IS one. That's kind of the problem with treating everything bad as if it's on the same level, which internet outrage culture tends to do. He took pictures with fans & got a bit too comfortable with getting to up close & personal with them. This made some of them uncomfortable. He's willingly admitted that & has stated he's going to take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future. Can we all just take a step back to at least give him credit on that one?
No, because he's done a lot more than that in way more blatant ways than that and he knows it. He's not owning up to those things at all and that basically makes both of his statements so far non-apologies that deflect from some real issues that he needs to work on.

Maybe he's not a rapist, but he sure is a creep and a predator who needs to learn to keep his hands to himself. I'm not happy that it came to this because it has been discussed with him by his coworkers before it got to this point. It didn't have to end in his job being lost. However, if he can't take their advice and change his behavior then I'm glad he's not going to be in the same professional or private spaces as me or my friends in the future. I feel a lot safer because of that.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
My point is that somebody claimed that Vic has more defenders/support because he is a devout Christian. I simply contend that it is because his offenses are dramatically less egregious than the other names they mentioned like Spacey.
But that’s not what is happening at all. The majority of Vic’s defenders have decided he’s been falsely accused of any wrong doing and Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Monica Rial, Marzgurl and whoever else are all trying to ruin him.

Literally saw someone say that the people accusing Vic are SJW who don’t care about anime or Dragon Ball at all but just have created some coordinated attack against him. That’s the type of crazy defenders he has. They literally think this is some SJW conspiracy against Vic.

But my question to them why would these SJW who don’t care about anime or Dragon Ball go after Vic in the first place?

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by PFM18 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:03 am

Kendamu wrote:No, because he's done a lot more than that in way more blatant ways than that and he knows it. He's not owning up to those things at all and that basically makes both of his statements so far non-apologies that deflect from some real issues that he needs to work on.

LIke what exactly? Pretty much everything he did could be summarized in the way that the previous poster described.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:55 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Scsigs wrote:And THEY had an actual rapist, 2 in fact, under their employ for a while. Plus they were guilty of a LOT of other messed up shit from over the years.
Who was the other one besides JewWario?
One of the higher-ups; Mike Ellis, who was sexually harassing another male worker when he worked there.
Kendamu wrote:No, because he's done a lot more than that in way more blatant ways than that and he knows it. He's not owning up to those things at all and that basically makes both of his statements so far non-apologies that deflect from some real issues that he needs to work on.

Maybe he's not a rapist, but he sure is a creep and a predator who needs to learn to keep his hands to himself. I'm not happy that it came to this because it has been discussed with him by his coworkers before it got to this point. It didn't have to end in his job being lost. However, if he can't take their advice and change his behavior then I'm glad he's not going to be in the same professional or private spaces as me or my friends in the future. I feel a lot safer because of that.
I mean, he's apologized to the women who he took pictures with both at a con & through a written statement. He apologized to any coworkers he's offended. He acknowledged his faults in this area & has promised to work on them. You may see it as him just damage controlling (which it IS), but it's more. He HAS to work on it to regain trust & still be a voice actor. He has many motivations to be doing what he's said he's gonna do. I don't know what else we can do but ask he keep to his words & wait to see how he does. Honestly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6884
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:No, because he's done a lot more than that in way more blatant ways than that and he knows it. He's not owning up to those things at all and that basically makes both of his statements so far non-apologies that deflect from some real issues that he needs to work on.

LIke what exactly? Pretty much everything he did could be summarized in the way that the previous poster described.
There was the teen girl he, an adult, invited back to his home and attempted to pressure into sex back before he was famous. There's the girl in the elevator he """accidentally""" upskirted with his hand. There's the girl in the hotel lobby who he yanked on her hair, said some incredibly sexual things to her in her ear, then told her that nobody would ever believe her if she ever came forward. There's more because this stuff's been going on for a very long time and was STILL going on as recently as December 2018. Those are just examples off the top of my head that I've read on Twitter.

Then, there's whatever he's done to Monica Rial (which she spoke of publicly), other VAs at Funimation, and content creators in the Dragon Ball community who chose not to tell their stories publicly and instead only shared them as part of Funimation's internal investigation.

So, yeah. He's not fully addressing the situation at all. That makes both of his statements non-apologies in my book.

Post Reply