Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:46 am

Kendamu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:No, because he's done a lot more than that in way more blatant ways than that and he knows it. He's not owning up to those things at all and that basically makes both of his statements so far non-apologies that deflect from some real issues that he needs to work on.

LIke what exactly? Pretty much everything he did could be summarized in the way that the previous poster described.
There was the teen girl he, an adult, invited back to his home and attempted to pressure into sex back before he was famous. There's the girl in the elevator he """accidentally""" upskirted with his hand. There's the girl in the hotel lobby who he yanked on her hair, said some incredibly sexual things to her in her ear, then told her that nobody would ever believe her if she ever came forward. There's more because this stuff's been going on for a very long time and was STILL going on as recently as December 2018. Those are just examples off the top of my head that I've read on Twitter.

Then, there's whatever he's done to Monica Rial (which she spoke of publicly), other VAs at Funimation, and content creators in the Dragon Ball community who chose not to tell their stories publicly and instead only shared them as part of Funimation's internal investigation.

So, yeah. He's not fully addressing the situation at all. That makes both of his statements non-apologies in my book.
Why would HE reveal exactly what happened that people aren't revealing publicly? Especially when it's covered under the blanket of what he said to his coworkers?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:19 am

Scsigs wrote: Why would HE reveal exactly what happened that people aren't revealing publicly? Especially when it's covered under the blanket of what he said to his coworkers?
Don't act like I'm asking him to personally apologize for each individual instance of misconduct on some sort of list. However, this whole, "I didn't know there was any animosity," stuff and the whole, "Oops, I guess I can't hug fans anymore because someone got offended," isn't actually addressing anything. It's a, "Sorry you feel that way," instead of a, "What I did was wrong. There's no excuse. I apologize."

I'm not going to accept a non-apology from him if he won't even acknowledge why we're angry with him.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

If he's really interested in improvement he should be honest and admit to the things that are true, not be a patronizing douche. Sitting around letting his little internet children wank themselves off over not having 4K footage of him groping people and saying "haha I can't believe this but sorry or whatever I guess" is not what maturity and transparency looks like. If you're trying to fix a long-term problem with yourself you need to be honest and humble with everyone it's affected, and be willing to take any potential criticism in response.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 am

Props to Schemmel for speaking up. Shame he's being bullied for speaking the truth.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am

From the Schemmel/Strait video making fun of Vic:

If only this was ironic, and not a completely deadpan example of who has co-opted this issue.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am

ABED wrote:How did Vic amass such a fanbase? Where is all this "love" coming from?
It's mostly people using this whole thing to create controversy to milk the drama. His proper fanbase is I think mostly females yet I have personally only seen mostly sweaty dudebros sticking up for him and making all these crazy conspiracy theories up. Most of the videos I have seen these people can't even f**king pronounce his surname correctly which shows how much of a "fan" of him they really are.

Shad73
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shad73 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 am

There were the two paths of Vic Mignogna as a voice actor, in my opinion.

I saw him as Broly before I saw him as Ed, and obviously I preferred the former. Looking back at how I actually viewed Vic’s voice acting as Ed, I believe it was a competent voice acting performance that did better with Aaron Dismuke’s Alphonse as a foil than with Maxey Whitehead. I found her Alphonse rather inauthentic; I prefer the subbed version of Brotherhood, because Romi Park was a better Ed than Vic was, even if it’s an unrealistic voice type for a 15-year-old to have.
I think Vic’s Broly was brilliant. When I saw his Broly, his other performances afterwards later in life became very unimpressive by comparison to such a perfect performance of the character.

However, that Vic gained an immense popularity in the West for Edward Elric is a bit of headscratcher. In all sincerity, the popularity he had seems disproportionate to his actual performance; this is clearly with respect to any Christians on this thread, but Vic had a tendency in the dubbing process to quite possibly have dialogue involving skepticism of religion in either FMA anime reflect his religious beliefs (GoatJesus on YouTube for source).
Vic’s popularity as a voice actor is where I can’t knock the hustle, but I’ll certainly criticize. Especially where as an admitted massive Vic fan such as myself I find Edward El-Vic to be a different (if less likable) character than Hiromu Arakawa’s actual Edward Elric. And to his credit? I only watch FMA 2003 dubbed and Brotherhood subbed.

With that said, FMA is no longer licensed by Funimation and is instead licensed by Aniplex; I say because the days of Fullmetal Alchemist are far behind due to the low standards of people who think Brotherhood is the greatest anime of all time, when 2011 Hunter x Hunter is better at Brotherhood’s goal for its’ own manga and clearly there are anime series such as Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion that Brotherhood has yet to best. However, Broly is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for a character so important to the fandom to be canonized.
It’s funny how if this was involving FMA, I think the backlash would be MUCH greater than it is from the anime community against perceived social justice warriors. But because it’s for a character I thought captured in at least two films Vic’s best performance? Well, let’s just say the downfall of Vic has no shield. And to be honest, all the better for him to perhaps receive counseling.
Maybe one day he will reconcile with the industry enough to come back. Until that day? I will choose to support Vic, while believing survivors. However, that won’t work out in his favor if he isn’t trying to improve! :D :D :D
Seeing the world as neutral is a gift; then you see the most beauty.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:25 pm

I’d bet money that half of these people vigorously defending Mignogna and getting pissy at ‘the left soy SJW libs’ or whatever have never even heard of him before this whole debacle.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:28 pm

Char Aznable wrote:I’d bet money that half of these people vigorously defending Mignogna and getting pissy at ‘the left soy SJW libs’ or whatever have never even heard of him before this whole debacle.
what do you expect really? The reality is many of them are fighting to prove their own badassery online and anyone who disagrees is a wuss. They're the ones clutching for things to fight about.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:I’d bet money that half of these people vigorously defending Mignogna and getting pissy at ‘the left soy SJW libs’ or whatever have never even heard of him before this whole debacle.
what do you expect really? The reality is many of them are fighting to prove their own badassery online and anyone who disagrees is a wuss. They're the ones clutching for things to fight about.
Plus you can really tell because in their videos they struggle to pronounce his last name, the proof is right there. It's not 2004-2005 anymore where FMA was coming out and 'lol can't pronounce his last name!', nowadays if you're at least slightly tuned into the medium and the industry you would know how to pronounce his name, even if you don't watch dubbed anime.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Plus you can really tell because in their videos they struggle to pronounce his last name, the proof is right there. It's not 2004-2005 anymore where FMA was coming out and 'lol can't pronounce his last name!', nowadays if you're at least slightly tuned into the medium and the industry you would know how to pronounce his name, even if you don't watch dubbed anime.
I'm at this point with this whole thing where I just want it to be dealt with fairly and the appropriate action taken based on what has happened. I cannot talk to any of my anime friends because they want to know what side I'm only like its Twilight fans asking if I'm camp Edward or camp Jacob (and its inappropriate and embarassing)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:37 pm

I did my research on Mignogna being around fans and every time, the fans were ecstatic to be with him or with his presence around and not a single video did any fans feel he was being inappropriate. The only time I've seen videos of Mignogna being inappropriate were doctored videos and photos to make him look like a monster.

So, without any actual evidence he's innocent until proven guilty. I don't care if someone says "I was told that he touched a girl on her private parts" because if you can't provide proof, that doesn't count.

I also remember that an actress/singer from a different country went to a talk show about how her mother ran a prostitution ring and her father was cheating on his wife but.. she didn't show any evidence to prove she was telling the truth.

A man's career was destroyed and not a single piece of evidence was shown that he really did it.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:40 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: So, without any actual evidence he's innocent until proven guilty. I don't care if someone says "I was told that he touched a girl on her private parts" because if you can't provide proof, that doesn't count.
At this point can we just report people for saying shit like this?

Someone new comes in saying the same ignorant shit every couple of pages.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:41 pm

And do you think he's going to grope girls in front of a camera?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
I did my research on Mignogna being around fans and every time, the fans were ecstatic to be with him or with his presence around and not a single video did any fans feel he was being inappropriate. The only time I've seen videos of Mignogna being inappropriate were doctored videos and photos to make him look like a monster.

So, without any actual evidence he's innocent until proven guilty. I don't care if someone says "I was told that he touched a girl on her private parts" because if you can't provide proof, that doesn't count.

I also remember that an actress/singer from a different country went to a talk show about how her mother ran a prostitution ring and her father was cheating on his wife but.. she didn't show any evidence to prove she was telling the truth.

A man's career was destroyed and not a single piece of evidence was shown that he really did it.
How are you this goddamned ignorant so late in the game? Holy fucking shit.

Of course he's not gonna be inclined to act inappropriate with a camera in his face :lol: . And of course fangirls with no knowledge of his behavior are gonna be stoked to meet. him

I almost want to cut you some slack because every post you've made on this forum gives me the impression that you're young, but Jesus Christ get a clue.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:04 pm

TKA wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: So, without any actual evidence he's innocent until proven guilty. I don't care if someone says "I was told that he touched a girl on her private parts" because if you can't provide proof, that doesn't count.

You wanting him banned doesn't make him less right. The only people who know what actually went down are Vic and the accusers. As long as no info or a confession is out, both sides are even. Honestly, this Vic=Rapist has been getting extremely out of hand. We only know one thing for sure and that is Vic's lack of social etiquette and unprofessionalism.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:20 pm

TKA wrote: At this point can we just report people for saying shit like this?

If people start getting banned for being idiots here they're just going to go to all their twitter warriors and make a rise about "BEAING CENSORRRED" and that that's apparently going to somehow make the whole "ignoring the literal mountain of evidence against the man" approach more valid.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Shaddy wrote:
TKA wrote: At this point can we just report people for saying shit like this?

If people start getting banned for being idiots here they're just going to go to all their twitter warriors and make a rise about "BEAING CENSORRRED" and that that's apparently going to somehow make the whole "ignoring the literal mountain of evidence against the man" approach more valid.
I find it perplexing how you people flip-flop from "Well, we have no evidence, we can't record this shit" to "literal mountains of evidence" whenever appropriate to the argument.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:25 pm

TKA wrote:

And THIS is the other side of this argument. Everyone keeps going on about how "the right is hating on the SJWs who say Vic is a monster" despite the proof either being words, or lacking & people like me bringing up valid points to be made about the pictures & people accusing him.
THEN we have people like this. Wanting to ban people just for saying, "I don't think the evidence is conclusive enough" despite their legit reasons for doing so. If we're going to call for people who simply disagree to be banned from a forum for discussion on topics who aren't being disrespectful or anything really that bad, then this forum is gonna be nothing but an authoritarian wasteland ruled by ideologues who couldn't even remotely care to hear a dissenting opinion. I'm sorry, but is this Twitter or YouTube? I'd don't think so. That's going too far.
Now, I know the mods of this forum aren't like that. For the most part, the mods on here I've seen are fair with everything & Mike comes in every so often to try to course correct a discussion. In fact, I'm kind of secretly thinking that the only reason this thread hasn't been locked off is to keep it from spreading to the main dub thread, which I completely understand.
I'm sorry, but punishing everyone who even says they have a different opinion with a ban isn't even remotely the answer to this problem. That doesn't make you any better than the people you claim aren't good people. Sorry.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:
TKA wrote:

And THIS is the other side of this argument. Everyone keeps going on about how "the right is hating on the SJWs who say Vic is a monster" despite the proof either being words, or lacking & people like me bringing up valid points to be made about the pictures & people accusing him.
THEN we have people like this. Wanting to ban people just for saying, "I don't think the evidence is conclusive enough" despite their legit reasons for doing so. If we're going to call for people who simply disagree to be banned from a forum for discussion on topics who aren't being disrespectful or anything really that bad, then this forum is gonna be nothing but an authoritarian wasteland ruled by ideologues who couldn't even remotely care to hear a dissenting opinion. I'm sorry, but is this Twitter or YouTube? I'd don't think so. That's going too far.
Now, I know the mods of this forum aren't like that. For the most part, the mods on here I've seen are fair with everything & Mike comes in every so often to try to course correct a discussion. In fact, I'm kind of secretly thinking that the only reason this thread hasn't been locked off is to keep it from spreading to the main dub thread, which I completely understand.
I'm sorry, but punishing everyone who even says they have a different opinion with a ban isn't even remotely the answer to this problem. That doesn't make you any better than the people you claim aren't good people. Sorry.
Considering how I was labeled an attention-seeking victim just for being a victim of sexual assault that doesn't agree with a black-and-white, incredibly naive notion of it, the "good people" motto might be lost on them. They want "useful people".