Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I feel like SJW isn't even a clearly defined archetype where at least with the alt-right you know they're a bunch of white supremacists and economic libertarians with a little misogyny, racism and transphobia tossed in there.
SJW = anyone far enough to the left of you to make you uncomfortable. Obviously this varies depending where you yourself fall on the political spectrum.

To some people, anyone who believes that LGBT people shouldn't be executed is a SJW. To others, you have to support a Harrison Bergeron - style government to qualify as one.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I feel like SJW isn't even a clearly defined archetype where at least with the alt-right you know they're a bunch of white supremacists and economic libertarians with a little misogyny, racism and transphobia tossed in there.
I feel there's two types, but the "SJW" negative one is associated with people fishing for trouble to shout about. There's a more genuine type as well, but there's a mindset with some people on the internet that if you're sympathetic to anyone who isn't a white male, you're just an SJW looking for attention.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:55 pm

I used to remember SJW meaning Undertale needle cookies, calling white people the root of all evil, the Rose Quartz "too thin" suicide bullying (note: made even more awkward by events in the show itself), stuff like that.

Now I guess it's just a default response to anyone left of the Qult, or Alex Jones or whatever. I mean just like a month ago there was that guy responding to everything I said with "you're just triggered because it's not progressive enough" because I happened to acknowledge that some of Dragon Ball's writing isn't exactly egalitarian. Dunno what even the point is anymore. It's kind of like that "well HITLER drank water too" response.

Rarely do I see anything that actually embodies what I remember "SJWs" being. The places I used to look, like /r/tumblrinaction and /r/cringeanarchy, are basically just hubs for alt-right and Trump supporters now, there's nothing of value but "hehehe fuckin' libruls", and worse.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 am

Shaddy wrote:I used to remember SJW meaning Undertale needle cookies
I have no idea what that is, care to fill me in?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 am

There is another article about Vic with more corroborating evidence and this time Vic speaks out too denying the allegation. Note he doesn’t seem to understand what consent is

https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s- ... 1832390505

Michele Specht his former girlfriend speaks out against him.

There are also anonymous voice actors that share their stories (after the attacks on Monica & Jamie I am not surprised they are anonymous) note that while Vic denies their version of events he doesn’t deny something happened between them.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:15 am

This situation has made me realize just how many stupid, gullible, manchildren there are on the internet. People who defend Vic, claiming everything is some fucking decade long SJW plan to ruin his career, are some of the most idiotic people I’ve seen. This isn’t even about Vic anymore. This is now a showcase of just how stupid some people really are.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am

Kinokima wrote:There is another article about Vic with more corroborating evidence and this time Vic speaks out too denying the allegation. Note he doesn’t seem to understand what consent is

There are also anonymous voice actors that share their stories (after the attacks on Monica & Jamie I am not surprised they are anonymous) note that while Vic denies their version of events he doesn’t deny something happened between them.
I'm a broken record when I say this but I genuinely believe Mic Vignogna is a manchild or sociopath in that he cannot understand or relate to others. That or he's so narcissistic that he simply doesn't understand other human beings. There was a study done some years ago that the richer one becomes the less able they are to understand those who are not affluent. I imagine Mic Vignogna has a similar condition.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:24 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I'm starting to think that Vic's hardcore fans are worse than he is.
The thing is, I don't think the most hardcore of his "supporters" making all this noise are even that much fans of Vic to begin with. They're opportunists from the shittiest corners of the internet finding the latest "SJW CONSPIRACY" to hitch their wagons to. Vic's biggest supporters were his cult of fangirls, not the standard alt-right trolls.
I got that impression as well. I'm sure there are some legitimate fans of Vic who have acted inappropriately and said inappropriate things, but there seems to be a movement of people--mostly online--who want to take literally any example of what they perceive to be "leftist SJWs" overreacting, and use that example as a rallying call to their cause.

In other words, a lot of people who are engaging in this behavior who have little to no attachment to Vic Mignogna, and are just using the controversy surrounding him for their own ends.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 am

Just checking very late to say, wow, this is really strange. Despite not being hugely into the anime community outside of Dragon Ball, I obviously knew who Vic was. And that's why this is so strange: here is this good-looking (straight guy here, but this is quite obvious; the guy is an actor), charismatic and very well-known in the anime community with, as someone said, his army of fangirls. Why did he feel the need to approach women in this way? The only explanation that makes sense to me, which many people have already given, is an extreme narcissism/sense of entitlement. Which could come from money or fame, but in my opinion is probably a personal failing more than anything else. Still weird, though.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 am

Kinokima wrote:There is another article about Vic with more corroborating evidence and this time Vic speaks out too denying the allegation. Note he doesn’t seem to understand what consent is

Yeah that was posted earlier, I broke out a piece of it earlier. Interestingly, one of the stories is almost verbatim one of the stories Monica just shared on Twitter.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:16 am

Kinokima wrote:
SJW is just used as an insult when someone wants to attack people for being progressive and politically correct especially women.

I don’t trust anyone who uses the term in a mocking or negative way.
Nah, folks on YouTube don't use that term that much anymore. They now call it "NPC" and good lord...it's a insufferably annoying meme(if used out of context).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 am

Michele Specht his former fiancee speaks out against him.

Fixed.

Also, something interesting about the author of that article, Beth Elderkin:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7274752/

I honestly did not know this and I have watched several Nostalgia Critic videos in the past.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 am

SjW's are just people that fabricate issues and then pretend to solve the issue that they just made up, accompanied by an extremely irrational and obnoxious demeanor. They will then begin to chastise and belittle you for not trying to help solve the issue that they just made up.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:48 am

Well, that's definitely it and Pensacon agrees with you. They also want to arrest those Alt-Right Neo Nazis White Supremacy Trump MAGA Supporters.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 am

PFM18 wrote:
SjW's are just people that fabricate issues and then pretend to solve the issue that they just made up, accompanied by an extremely irrational and obnoxious demeanor. They will then begin to chastise and belittle you for not trying to help solve the issue that they just made up.
Both groups are terrible in their own ways.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:27 am

At this point, based on the overwhelming testimony that's been made, I feel this seems to be a fairly shut and closed case of inappropriate behaviour and conduct on Vic's behalf, and his being punished for over a decade of poor conduct.

Don't think there is really much else to say on the matter as it stands currently. I think at worst, its regrettable this kind of thing wasn't bought into the limelight in this way sooner.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:24 am

JazzMazz wrote:At this point, based on the overwhelming testimony that's been made, I feel this seems to be a fairly shut and closed case of inappropriate behaviour and conduct on Vic's behalf, and his being punished for over a decade of poor conduct.

Don't think there is really much else to say on the matter as it stands currently. I think at worst, its regrettable this kind of thing wasn't bought into the limelight in this way sooner.
I was willing to keep an open mind, but the evidence brought fort is pretty damn conclusive at this point.

I really hope this is a lesson for anime distributors, con management and anyone else who may have power over these individuals to not tolerate this kind of behaviour and for anyone who hears testimony of fans and people in general who interact with these people to take them seriously, you never know what they are going through.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:

I'm a broken record when I say this but I genuinely believe Mic Vignogna is a manchild or sociopath in that he cannot understand or relate to others. That or he's so narcissistic that he simply doesn't understand other human beings. There was a study done some years ago that the richer one becomes the less able they are to understand those who are not affluent. I imagine Mic Vignogna has a similar condition.
Obviously we don't know if he has been diagnosed as having any such conditions, but you might be right.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:46 am

Something else I noticed when reading that gizmodo article that I forgot to mention - while Vic denies any non-consensual actions between him and anyone else, he flat out confirms he was constantly running around cheating on his girlfriend-then-fiancee Michele. While that's certainly not on the same level as rape, molestation, or other such things, that's...still a pretty shitty thing to do as a human being, and something that you would think his actual fans who supported him on religious ground at least would have pause after hearing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:03 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:here is this good-looking (straight guy here, but this is quite obvious; the guy is an actor), charismatic and very well-known in the anime community with, as someone said, his army of fangirls. Why did he feel the need to approach women in this way?
Sexual assault generally isn't about sex, but power. Bill Cosby likely could've had sex with any of those women, and some even consented, but what he wanted was the power over them when they're passed out.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.