Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote:To Cursed Lemon:

I had a lot to say in response to you, and didn't want to flood the forum with it or and make everything look all crappy. Thus, I put my response in a word doc and have put a google drive link for you to look at it. I hope it doesn't come off as condescending or mean, I truly want us to have a good debate on the situation and the learn things from each other. Anyone else is of course welcomed to look at the response as well, as I feel I was able to communicate some of my thoughts on the situation in a manner that makes sense to others (if unfortunately more wordy than I would have liked). In any case, hope you have a good time, or at least not a bad time, reading it, and I know your response will be a good one :D!

Google Drive Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IU8Ss9 ... sp=sharing
For reference, Kanzenshuu has a quote feature that allows you to directly reply to another persons comments if need be. Its a far more effective way of doing things, as the user of the comment your posting receives a notification that you responded to their message.

Just a heads up. Welcome to the forum. :D

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:05 pm

JazzMazz wrote:For reference, Kanzenshuu has a quote feature that allows you to directly reply to another persons comments if need be. Its a far more effective way of doing things, as the user of the comment your posting receives a notification that you responded to their message.

Just a heads up. Welcome to the forum. :D
Ah, thanks for the heads up on that. Hope this test out on your advice doesn't create an abomination of a message. Also, thanks for welcome, I hope to learn and have a lot of fun here.

Ps. Nice Kenshiro pic. Love me some North Star.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote:To Cursed Lemon:

I had a lot to say in response to you, and didn't want to flood the forum with it or and make everything look all crappy. Thus, I put my response in a word doc and have put a google drive link for you to look at it. I hope it doesn't come off as condescending or mean, I truly want us to have a good debate on the situation and the learn things from each other. Anyone else is of course welcomed to look at the response as well, as I feel I was able to communicate some of my thoughts on the situation in a manner that makes sense to others (if unfortunately more wordy than I would have liked). In any case, hope you have a good time, or at least not a bad time, reading it, and I know your response will be a good one :D!

Google Drive Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IU8Ss9 ... sp=sharing
I’ve been collecting info on the situation as I’ve gone on, and I believe I’ve been fair as I did so. Having what I have at the current moment, I’m leaning towards Vic being innocent regarding at least the more extreme claims against him (things like him being difficult behind the scenes I’m still not sure of to say one way or the other). I’ve come to this conclusion due to the many pieces of evidence against Vic being too vague, outlandish, or just plain fabricated as I explored them.
You literally did zero work with respect to the actual sexual misconduct claims against Vic (of which I'm pretty sure you only think there were two, when there are dozens). You're just doing what others here and half of Youtube/Twitter are doing which is trying to fabricate a conspiracy to bring down a guy who didn't do anything wrong, even though that makes less than no sense.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:35 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: You literally did zero work with respect to the actual sexual misconduct claims against Vic (of which I'm pretty sure you only think there were two, when there are dozens). You're just doing what others here and half of Youtube/Twitter are doing which is trying to fabricate a conspiracy to bring down a guy who didn't do anything wrong, even though that makes less than no sense.
I'm once again sorry for having come off as biased in both my info and my response to you. However, I want to make it clear I know there are many, many claims against Vic. I've just been more skeptical of the accusations as a whole given the many controversies and possible issues I've come across while looking through the situation as I discussed in my response to you.

Yet, as I said before, I'm more than willing to learn new things about the situation. Could you provide me some links to archives or articles discussing these accusations? I'll look those over and try and find other stuff while I'm at it to add to the info pile. I truly hope you believe my sincerity in all this, as I want a conversation where you feel I'm not being unfair towards your perspective.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:11 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote:I've just been more skeptical of the accusations as a whole given the many controversies and possible issues I've come across while looking through the situation as I discussed in my response to you.
You didn't even mention the accusations, then you tried to frame your "research" as being about the slander suit rather than Vic's actual innocence.

The fake SWATing has nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Chris Sabat saying the word "faggot" on Twitter has nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Criticisms of the VicKicksBack GoFundMe have nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Monica Rial being snippy on Twitter has nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Some rando arguing against flirting being equated to cheating has nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Discussion of Broly recasts have nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.

Random inconsequential pink highlights of Monica's story has nothing to do with whether Vic did these things or not.
Yet, as I said before, I'm more than willing to learn new things about the situation. Could you provide me some links to archives or articles discussing these accusations? I'll look those over and try and find other stuff while I'm at it to add to the info pile. I truly hope you believe my sincerity in all this, as I want a conversation where you feel I'm not being unfair towards your perspective.
There's nothing to discuss. Vic has a shit-ton of unassociated claims of creeping on underage girls and sexual assault. Some of these go back 10+ years (not the time frame of the alleged misconduct, but when the actual claims were made), there is no evidence to be had. Either you believe most/all of these claims are lies and that it's some kind of slow burn, decade-long radfem plot to overthrow...a D-list voice actor for no discernible reason, or you believe the accusers, and that's the end of it.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:There's nothing to discuss. Vic has a shit-ton of unassociated claims of creeping on underage girls and sexual assault. Some of these go back 10+ years (not the time frame of the alleged misconduct, but when the actual claims were made), there is no evidence to be had. Either you believe most/all of these claims are lies and that it's some kind of slow burn, decade-long radfem plot to overthrow...a D-list voice actor for no discernible reason, or you believe the accusers, and that's the end of it.
I was about to post something more or less to this effect, but this about sums it up perfectly.

Shy of DNA from a rape kit or video camera footage (or VERY credible direct eyewitness testimony), there's simply almost NO way to conclusively "prove" a sexual assault accusation in the way that the armchair "skeptics" throughout this thread are more or less demanding of the accusers. This is why, out in the real world, rape cases so rarely ever result in criminal charges: and its also among the (long myriad of well documented) reasons why most victims end up too terrified to speak up about what happened to them right away (if ever).

The thing is though, most sex offenders tend to often be serial abusers: very rarely are they ever "once and done". Get away with it once, and they're liable to repeat it on someone else: in many cases its a psychological compulsion. So what most of the time ends up happening is as time goes by, accusers start to pile up, until it becomes pretty much impossible to ignore and it becomes a matter of "either he DEFINITELY did it with at least SOME if not ALL of them, or he's got a VERY elaborate, JFK-level conspiracy plotted against him". And 99 times out of 100, its usually the former.

And yes, that's a beyond horrible, deeply fucked up way to have to determine whether or not someone is a sex predator (waiting until they've abused/attacked enough people for them to eventually band together later on and build a credible case against the attacker): but given the (even purely logistical) nature of sexual assault as a crime, as well as the (again, VERY well documented) societal hangups that we still seem to stubbornly retain - broadly speaking, as a society - regarding the gender-dynamics of rape and sexual misconduct, that's unfortunately one of the few means of combating long-term sexual predators that victims have at their disposal: and both social media and #MeToo have been an absolute godsend to sexual abuse survivors for that very reason.

Either way though, Vic's not going to jail over this (nor should he, legally-speaking): the worst that this is going to result in his him losing his voice acting career. Possibly forever, or maybe just for some years, until the heat "blows over" or whatever.

Rather pathetically however, the prospect of "my favorite dub voice actor getting replaced" apparently seems to be a fate worse than death to a lot of sadsack fanboys here: to say nothing of the - again, DEEPLY stupid and creeptastic - political baggage that a lot of "very online" young dorks with grotesquely naive worldviews and sheltered outlooks tend to bring in with them into situations like this.

For the umpteenth time: given both the OVERWHELMING number of claims (all from totally disconnected parties, and all stretching back across numerous decades now) as well as the overall history/pattern of sexual predators that Vic's MO rather neatly fits into, not to mention the complete and utter lack of a motive that most any of these women have for making any of this up (again, no matter how much you might worship all things FUNimation, in the real world Vic is an utter and absolute nobody, whom no one gives the slightest two shits whether or not he keeps his Broli or FMA gigs)... the odds are BEYOND overwhelming that this guy's ass is very exceedingly guilty.

Its not enough to convict him in a criminal court of law (nor should it be), so no one's demanding that he get sent to death row or whatever: but yes, taking away from him his D-list voice acting career seems about a perfectly reasonable and more than justified consequence for him to pay, to say nothing of just as a means of protecting other voice actresses and con-goers from getting preyed on by him any further in the future.

And yes, for all the starry-eyed innocents in here who are still asking absurdly stupid, oblivious questions like "Someone at FUNimation or at anime conventions HAD to know about this: why didn't anybody do anything about it sooner?": it is unfortunately altogether WAY too common within a great many workplaces and corporations that, when a male employee commits an act of sexual misconduct against a female co-worker, if the higher ups in management can get away with sweeping it under the rug, looking the other way, and pretending that nothing happened to as not to rock the boat or raise a fuss... they will all too often indeed do EXACTLY that, the victims' physical safety and emotional/psychological well-being be damned.

There's a GIGANTIC societal history of this sort of thing happening CONSTANTLY every single day for DECADES now: which is EXACTLY why #MeToo was an extremely necessary, desperately needed, and altogether positive social movement and backlash against this exact sort of thing, rather than some ridiculous "mob mentality" hysteria by way of some halfbaked and ridiculously idiotic "radical feminist conspiracy plot" to do... whatever the fuck convoluted nonsense some dipshit Youtubers and 4channers have cooked up in their pathetic, sexually-frustrated, resentful little minds.

And for those who aren't coming at this with a vile political axe to grind and instead are just purely, desperately crestfallen and upset that they're going to have to deal with a new English dubbed Broli voice from here on out: let me once again quote myself from earlier, many pages back, in this very thread:
Kunzait_83 wrote:If you're someone who's still stubbornly making the case that "Its all lies, its all a conspiracy to take down poor old Vic!" THIS far into things after THIS much convincing and blatant evidence has come to light, if you're STILL defending this guy (or god help you, if you're one of the sad fucks making impassioned Youtube videos on his behalf) and your main emotional reasoning for stubbornly clinging to this belief is primarily because you just love this guy's Broli voice so damn much and it meant so much to you as a kid and whatnot: you are BEYOND pathetic and a textbook definitional example of what certain folks online would call a "beta male" and a "cuck".

Because what you're effectively saying is "I don't care that this guy is a sexual predator who has hurt possibly hundreds of underage girls, all I care about is my precious favorite childhood cartoon that made me feel good when I was 6!"
And not to end this on such a petty note, but personally I don't exactly think we're quite losing out on god's gift to voice acting here.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:...
I'm once again sorry for having come off as biased in both my info and my response to you. However, I want to make it clear I know there are many, many claims against Vic. I've just been more skeptical of the accusations as a whole given the many controversies and possible issues I've come across while looking through the situation as I discussed in my response to you.

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone here has a little bias just much as anyone else. Your not using your opinion to lash out at anyone. And you've been polite. That's what matters the most. If you did your research and that's the conclusion you came up with. It's fine. You don't need to prove it to anyone else. You might be wrong, you might be right. Who really knows. But don't let it get you down.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:35 am

Son Dragon wrote:And you've been polite. That's what matters the most.
While being polite is of course greatly important in a vast majority of situations in everyday life... this is not a universal absolute. There DO indeed come some circumstances where civility is more of a hindrance and "tone policing" calls for politeness are at best greatly unhelpful, and at worst a disingenuous weapon that certain people will eagerly wield with malicious intent to brow-beat and silence any clarity of perspective or fact-based analysis.

With much of the horrendous naivety, stupidity, and gross misogyny-rooted ugliness with regards to (at this point, VERY well documented and more than easy to study) key facts on how most rape and sexual assault cases tend to play themselves out more often than not that has been on display throughout thread? Civility just isn't going to cut it.

What the "skeptics" in this thread are putting forth is, at best, unbelievably moronic and coming from a place of astounding ignorance about thuddingly basic real-world societal issues with sexual assault, and at worst, vile, grotesque, and altogether deliberate muddying the waters and gaslighting because they have a personal political ax to grind with regards to key feminist issues that are of great importance out in the world currently.

I mean, I know this is now going back QUITE a ways in this thread now, but both myself and several other forum members here have put together some exhaustive posts detailing and outlining EXACTLY why it is that knee-jerk "erring on the side of skepticism" towards most sexual assault victims is both a logically faulty place to come at these cases from (not the least of which because, statistically speaking, there are FAR more sexual assault cases that ultimately turn out to be true than there are falsely reported ones) as well as a part of a much broader and vastly destructive societal ill that has been literally helping to let sexual predators get away with their crimes for years, along with placing an obscenely uneeded psychological and emotional burden on the victims that ultimately leads to them very often being frightened and intimidated - by broader society at large - into NOT coming forward to the police.

This is more than enough of an immensely serious, and in many cases outright life and death, societal problem, that yes I'm sorry to say this: fuck politeness, and fuck you getting your personal feewings hurt. The stakes at play here for assault victims having their stories dismissed and attacked by the public simply FAR outweigh and are VASTLY more important than your butthurt at having been snapped at for saying something UNBELIEVABLY godawful lightspeed stupid and counter-productive about this issue.
Son Dragon wrote:If you did your research and that's the conclusion you came up with. It's fine. You don't need to prove it to anyone else. You might be wrong, you might be right. Who really knows. But don't let it get you down.
A whole universe of "no".

1) As Cursed Lemon already noted, much of his "research" is just completely irrelevant nonsense, culled from baseless Youtube videos (made by clearly bad-faith actors with an obvious and barely-concealed personal agenda to push) and Tweet screencaps that mean next to nothing and have no real bearing on anything of importance to this issue. At NO point did WhowhoYouwho (Jesus) come within MILES of trying to understand or conveying that they understand so much as the most threadbare basics about sexual assault in so much as even a GENERAL sense.

2) This isn't a "Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but either way I'm proud of you for trying! Here's a participation trophy!" kind of scenario: this isn't a fucking video game puzzle or whatever ridiculously stupid nonsense. This is real, flesh and blood human beings who have (very clearly and overwhelmingly likely) been sexually molested by a guy who is very likely a serial offender that's been getting away with it for evidently decades now.

Neither WhowhoYouwho's personal feelings, nor yours, nor ANYONE else's here among the "armchair skeptics" matters in the absolute fucking slightest. The ONLY thing that matters is that this creep gets stopped from hurting anyone else at cons or FUNimation events any further and that he pays SOME sort of consequences for his actions.

Obviously those consequences won't (nor should) include jail, but him having his VA career stripped from him and being permanently barred from attending cons and fan meet & greets is a MORE than adequate penalty given the circumstances. So long as he's kept from hurting anyone else, that's ALL that ultimately matters, and some teenage or 20-something know-nothing on a fan forum having their ego bruised for half a second for being a fucking clueless simpleton on this issue literally means less than nothing in comparison.

A big part of the communication problem here is that most of the "skeptics" throughout this thread have simply NOT been educating themselves via reading the (by now, exhaustive and long-settled) research data regarding the fundamental problems with society-as-a-whole disbelieving and antagonizing rape and sexual assault victims, even in cases where its VERY clear that they're very overwhelmingly likely telling the truth (like this one).

No matter how many times users like myself and TKA (who rather soundly put this shit to bed right up front on the first fucking page of this cringe-filled shitshow of a thread) continually post link after link after link after link after link of solidly backed-up studies regarding the inherent dynamics of and statistics behind the realities of most sexual assault claims, they continue to be routinely ignored as the thread gets positively FLOODED with asinine Youtube video after asinine Youtube video, all of which are made by complete and utter fucking idiot manchildren internet basement dwellers who Cursed Lemon rather pinpoint accurately described as, and I quote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:a slew of zit-faced 16-year-old ignoramuses puffing their chests out with pride at their own rape skepticism like they are god's gift to scholarly thinking, when in reality they have exactly zero world experience and don't know shit about fuck.
And who furthermore have nothing but stark-raving conjecture and hearsay and all of ZERO facts or evidence or sound logic to back up any of their absurd, outlandishly stupid non-arguments.

All of the relevant facts here are as follows:

- We now have literally DOZENS of different claims of Vic's very consistent MO of sexually predatory and abusive behavior.

- Nearly ALL of those claims come from TOTALLY unconnected individuals, most of whom don't know one another from the Man on the fucking Moon.

- The claims date back literally DECADES, to the late 1980s, well long many years before Vic was even the exceedingly minor non-celebrity that he is today.

- There is almost ZERO motive for the victims and accusers to be lying about any of this: contrary to what the FUNimation fanbase are deluded enough to believe, the reality is that Vic Mignogna is a totally and absolutely inconsequential nobody of a Z-list voice actor for a handful of English adaptations of Japanese children's cartoons, whom no one outside of a fairly tiny niche of diehard dorks on the internet gives the slightest inkling of a flying fuck about. The accusers doing the accusing have literally N-O-T-H-I-N-G to gain, and in fact PLENTY of abuse and harassment to take from clueless fucking idiots and butthurt fanboys - like some of the brain trusts in this very thread - for their troubles.

- Despite having token services like Human Resources that are ostensibly supposed to take these matters seriously, the on-the-ground reality is that everything from corporate work environments (such as say... FUNimation studios), to schools, to even the U.S. Military, have a LONG history of sweeping rape and sexual harassment complaints under the rug if they are able to get away with doing so. So contrary to what so many blissfully oblivious people still-asking "Why didn't any of these supposed 'victims' just complain to someone or report Vic to management?" seem to be under the delusion of, most women in professional settings will very bluntly attest that simply "complaining to H.R." is NOT going to do jack shit in a great deal of instances. As I keep repeating: this whole #MeToo thing didn't just suddenly spring forth from thin fucking air just to fuck with hapless idiots on nerd message boards and 4Chan.

In order for this whole clusterfuck to not be true and for Vic to be "innocent" in any way, then that would mean that ALL of these various, totally disconnected women from all across the country, some of them going back DECADES before Vic was a known presence within Otaku circles (and hell, before Broli was a character that even existed over in Japan) would ALL have to be in cahoots, coordinating with one another from all over the map to spread consistent lies about some random dude for... for WHAT exactly?

If all of this were in fact some super deep-cover, longform feminist SJW conspiracy to take down the random schmuck who voices Broli in English DBZ, it would have to have had its roots in the late 1980s; LONG before a single soul on the planet that wasn't his family and friends knew who in the atomic powered fucking hell Vic Mignogna was.

So set aside everything else, and use some common sense: which is more likely to you? The above described "long-con conspiracy among a vast network of crazed feminists to go after some random voice actor guy that no one outside an anime convention gives a shit about" scenario?

Or that this guy is probably one of about a COUNTLESS number of standard-issue creepers who's into underage girls and getting his rocks off invading women's personal space and not keeping his hands to himself? And has been getting away with it for all this time because we've been living for countless decades now in a fucked up society that has a VERY long and storied history of not treating rape or sexual assault claims NEARLY seriously enough, allowing for COUNTLESS other scumbags like this to get away with their shit with impunity?

And that the internet of today is filled to the brim with FAR too many socially inexperienced, awkward, grossly over-sheltered, naive, sexually pent-up losers who are apt to sooner believe in their own petty resentments at women for not deep-throating them high school than they are to believe in (much less have the wherewithal and intellectual curiosity to just look up) what COUNTLESS women and rape/psychology experts have been discussing and trying to get through to the public for DECADES now?

This isn't a particularly tough one to suss out here.

The reason that so many people here are by sheer forceful stubbornness trying to WILL this into a "debatable issue" that "could go either way" is because most of them simply don't WANT to listen to common sense, stone-cold facts, and logical deductive reasoning: because most of them have one (or both) of two different emotional stakes in this matter that they are using to willfully blind themselves to the obvious reality here:

1) They're myopic dorks who are WAY too overly-invested emotionally in their favorite English Anime Dub: so much so that FAR more critically important real world issues generally don't matter to them NEARLY as much, and they're willing to totally set aside/minimize in their minds the very real pain of actual sexual assault victims just so they can desperately and pathetically cling onto their cherished childhood nostalgia totem.

And/or 2) They've got deeply-held personal biases and leanings towards a somewhat relatively recent but VERY widespread (within internet nerd spheres at least) anti-feminism - and in more extreme cases, outright racist and fascist - political ideology and outlook, that's born largely out of their own petty bitterness, resentments, insecurities, and personal failings in life that they'd much rather project out onto "others" in the world than own up to themselves.

And if its not either 1 or 2 or a combination of both, then it may well just purely be:

3) They're just THAT unbelievably naive, gullible, and hopelessly oblivious and insulated from the harsh realities of the outside world. I can attest from LOTS of personal, firsthand experience with this forum: there's a bone-chillingly LARGE amount of that that's been a fundamental part of this forum's communal makeup since more than a decade ago now.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 am

Just wanted to say that I updated the Info folder with a ton more stuff in order to try and have a more comprehensive view of the situation. Most of this came from the KickVic doc, which I assumed all I needed to do was put in and everything would be hunky dory, but I was wrong and lazy to assume that and got as many screenshots from those links and put them in the main photo folder to better give every side a chance to be seen. I also got rid of those two large videos, which dropped the size down to only about 420mb. Finally, I put a few of the KickVic doc links into the word doc I've been making due to some of them having so much material (I didn't do this in one case to make sure the blog was preserved, as it hasn't got an update since 2017). I won't inform of any more updates in this manner so as not to spam the thread and clog up discussion, the file will just be whatever version it is. Whether you want to discuss further or not, I hope everyone has a fine day.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:...
I think I've said the right thing here. Thank you though

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:49 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Son Dragon wrote:And you've been polite. That's what matters the most.
While being polite is of course greatly important in a vast majority of situations in everyday life... this is not a universal absolute. There DO indeed come some circumstances where civility is more of a hindrance and "tone policing" calls for politeness are at best greatly unhelpful, and at worst a disingenuous weapon that certain people will eagerly wield with malicious intent to brow-beat and silence any clarity of perspective or fact-based analysis.

With much of the horrendous naivety, stupidity, and gross misogyny-rooted ugliness with regards to (at this point, VERY well documented and more than easy to study) key facts on how most rape and sexual assault cases tend to play themselves out more often than not that has been on display throughout thread? Civility just isn't going to cut it.

What the "skeptics" in this thread are putting forth is, at best, unbelievably moronic and coming from a place of astounding ignorance about thuddingly basic real-world societal issues with sexual assault, and at worst, vile, grotesque, and altogether deliberate muddying the waters and gaslighting because they have a personal political ax to grind with regards to key feminist issues that are of great importance out in the world currently.

I mean, I know this is now going back QUITE a ways in this thread now, but both myself and several other forum members here have put together some exhaustive posts detailing and outlining EXACTLY why it is that knee-jerk "erring on the side of skepticism" towards most sexual assault victims is both a logically faulty place to come at these cases from (not the least of which because, statistically speaking, there are FAR more sexual assault cases that ultimately turn out to be true than there are falsely reported ones) as well as a part of a much broader and vastly destructive societal ill that has been literally helping to let sexual predators get away with their crimes for years, along with placing an obscenely uneeded psychological and emotional burden on the victims that ultimately leads to them very often being frightened and intimidated - by broader society at large - into NOT coming forward to the police.

This is more than enough of an immensely serious, and in many cases outright life and death, societal problem, that yes I'm sorry to say this: fuck politeness, and fuck you getting your personal feewings hurt. The stakes at play here for assault victims having their stories dismissed and attacked by the public simply FAR outweigh and are VASTLY more important than your butthurt at having been snapped at for saying something UNBELIEVABLY godawful lightspeed stupid and counter-productive about this issue.
Son Dragon wrote:If you did your research and that's the conclusion you came up with. It's fine. You don't need to prove it to anyone else. You might be wrong, you might be right. Who really knows. But don't let it get you down.
A whole universe of "no".

1) As Cursed Lemon already noted, much of his "research" is just completely irrelevant nonsense, culled from baseless Youtube videos (made by clearly bad-faith actors with an obvious and barely-concealed personal agenda to push) and Tweet screencaps that mean next to nothing and have no real bearing on anything of importance to this issue. At NO point did WhowhoYouwho (Jesus) come within MILES of trying to understand or conveying that they understand so much as the most threadbare basics about sexual assault in so much as even a GENERAL sense.

2) This isn't a "Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, but either way I'm proud of you for trying! Here's a participation trophy!" kind of scenario: this isn't a fucking video game puzzle or whatever ridiculously stupid nonsense. This is real, flesh and blood human beings who have (very clearly and overwhelmingly likely) been sexually molested by a guy who is very likely a serial offender that's been getting away with it for evidently decades now.

Neither WhowhoYouwho's personal feelings, nor yours, nor ANYONE else's here among the "armchair skeptics" matters in the absolute fucking slightest. The ONLY thing that matters is that this creep gets stopped from hurting anyone else at cons or FUNimation events any further and that he pays SOME sort of consequences for his actions.

Obviously those consequences won't (nor should) include jail, but him having his VA career stripped from him and being permanently barred from attending cons and fan meet & greets is a MORE than adequate penalty given the circumstances. So long as he's kept from hurting anyone else, that's ALL that ultimately matters, and some teenage or 20-something know-nothing on a fan forum having their ego bruised for half a second for being a fucking clueless simpleton on this issue literally means less than nothing in comparison.

A big part of the communication problem here is that most of the "skeptics" throughout this thread have simply NOT been educating themselves via reading the (by now, exhaustive and long-settled) research data regarding the fundamental problems with society-as-a-whole disbelieving and antagonizing rape and sexual assault victims, even in cases where its VERY clear that they're very overwhelmingly likely telling the truth (like this one).

No matter how many times users like myself and TKA (who rather soundly put this shit to bed right up front on the first fucking page of this cringe-filled shitshow of a thread) continually post link after link after link after link after link of solidly backed-up studies regarding the inherent dynamics of and statistics behind the realities of most sexual assault claims, they continue to be routinely ignored as the thread gets positively FLOODED with asinine Youtube video after asinine Youtube video, all of which are made by complete and utter fucking idiot manchildren internet basement dwellers who Cursed Lemon rather pinpoint accurately described as, and I quote:
Cursed Lemon wrote:a slew of zit-faced 16-year-old ignoramuses puffing their chests out with pride at their own rape skepticism like they are god's gift to scholarly thinking, when in reality they have exactly zero world experience and don't know shit about fuck.
And who furthermore have nothing but stark-raving conjecture and hearsay and all of ZERO facts or evidence or sound logic to back up any of their absurd, outlandishly stupid non-arguments.

All of the relevant facts here are as follows:

- We now have literally DOZENS of different claims of Vic's very consistent MO of sexually predatory and abusive behavior.

- Nearly ALL of those claims come from TOTALLY unconnected individuals, most of whom don't know one another from the Man on the fucking Moon.

- The claims date back literally DECADES, to the late 1980s, well long many years before Vic was even the exceedingly minor non-celebrity that he is today.

- There is almost ZERO motive for the victims and accusers to be lying about any of this: contrary to what the FUNimation fanbase are deluded enough to believe, the reality is that Vic Mignogna is a totally and absolutely inconsequential nobody of a Z-list voice actor for a handful of English adaptations of Japanese children's cartoons, whom no one outside of a fairly tiny niche of diehard dorks on the internet gives the slightest inkling of a flying fuck about. The accusers doing the accusing have literally N-O-T-H-I-N-G to gain, and in fact PLENTY of abuse and harassment to take from clueless fucking idiots and butthurt fanboys - like some of the brain trusts in this very thread - for their troubles.

- Despite having token services like Human Resources that are ostensibly supposed to take these matters seriously, the on-the-ground reality is that everything from corporate work environments (such as say... FUNimation studios), to schools, to even the U.S. Military, have a LONG history of sweeping rape and sexual harassment complaints under the rug if they are able to get away with doing so. So contrary to what so many blissfully oblivious people still-asking "Why didn't any of these supposed 'victims' just complain to someone or report Vic to management?" seem to be under the delusion of, most women in professional settings will very bluntly attest that simply "complaining to H.R." is NOT going to do jack shit in a great deal of instances. As I keep repeating: this whole #MeToo thing didn't just suddenly spring forth from thin fucking air just to fuck with hapless idiots on nerd message boards and 4Chan.

In order for this whole clusterfuck to not be true and for Vic to be "innocent" in any way, then that would mean that ALL of these various, totally disconnected women from all across the country, some of them going back DECADES before Vic was a known presence within Otaku circles (and hell, before Broli was a character that even existed over in Japan) would ALL have to be in cahoots, coordinating with one another from all over the map to spread consistent lies about some random dude for... for WHAT exactly?

If all of this were in fact some super deep-cover, longform feminist SJW conspiracy to take down the random schmuck who voices Broli in English DBZ, it would have to have had its roots in the late 1980s; LONG before a single soul on the planet that wasn't his family and friends knew who in the atomic powered fucking hell Vic Mignogna was.

So set aside everything else, and use some common sense: which is more likely to you? The above described "long-con conspiracy among a vast network of crazed feminists to go after some random voice actor guy that no one outside an anime convention gives a shit about" scenario?

Or that this guy is probably one of about a COUNTLESS number of standard-issue creepers who's into underage girls and getting his rocks off invading women's personal space and not keeping his hands to himself? And has been getting away with it for all this time because we've been living for countless decades now in a fucked up society that has a VERY long and storied history of not treating rape or sexual assault claims NEARLY seriously enough, allowing for COUNTLESS other scumbags like this to get away with their shit with impunity?

And that the internet of today is filled to the brim with FAR too many socially inexperienced, awkward, grossly over-sheltered, naive, sexually pent-up losers who are apt to sooner believe in their own petty resentments at women for not deep-throating them high school than they are to believe in (much less have the wherewithal and intellectual curiosity to just look up) what COUNTLESS women and rape/psychology experts have been discussing and trying to get through to the public for DECADES now?

This isn't a particularly tough one to suss out here.

The reason that so many people here are by sheer forceful stubbornness trying to WILL this into a "debatable issue" that "could go either way" is because most of them simply don't WANT to listen to common sense, stone-cold facts, and logical deductive reasoning: because most of them have one (or both) of two different emotional stakes in this matter that they are using to willfully blind themselves to the obvious reality here:

1) They're myopic dorks who are WAY too overly-invested emotionally in their favorite English Anime Dub: so much so that FAR more critically important real world issues generally don't matter to them NEARLY as much, and they're willing to totally set aside/minimize in their minds the very real pain of actual sexual assault victims just so they can desperately and pathetically cling onto their cherished childhood nostalgia totem.

And/or 2) They've got deeply-held personal biases and leanings towards a somewhat relatively recent but VERY widespread (within internet nerd spheres at least) anti-feminism - and in more extreme cases, outright racist and fascist - political ideology and outlook, that's born largely out of their own petty bitterness, resentments, insecurities, and personal failings in life that they'd much rather project out onto "others" in the world than own up to themselves.

And if its not either 1 or 2 or a combination of both, then it may well just purely be:

3) They're just THAT unbelievably naive, gullible, and hopelessly oblivious and insulated from the harsh realities of the outside world. I can attest from LOTS of personal, firsthand experience with this forum: there's a bone-chillingly LARGE amount of that that's been a fundamental part of this forum's communal makeup since more than a decade ago now.
Just say "reeeeee" and be done with it. This was a massive temper-tantrum in the form of an overgrown text post.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:28 am

BlueChi wrote:Just say "reeeeee" and be done with it. This was a massive temper-tantrum in the form of an overgrown text post.
This is an example of a bad-faith actor not looking to address this situation with the severity it needs and has been outlined over and over.

Cursed Lemon and Kunzait here have consistently said everything that needs to be said, and it's appalling that there continues to be any "now now hold on let's look at """""both sides""""" here I believe I have done my research."

The one thing I want to reiterate that has been mentioned but hasn't been brought up recently: we can see exactly when this came about for Vic, and it wasn't even about him in the first place. What happened was a dude that's been regular friends with lots of anime fandom folks (named Dylan, going under the screen name "Hazukari") was outed as a predator in mid-January, that got folks talking, which in turn brought up the apparent open-secret Vic talk all over again, which in turn prompted the "fuck it we are DONE with this" discussion. Yes, it's a mini anime version of the larger #MeToo movement with literally all the same things and patterns of progress going on.

There was no anti-Vic conspiracy, nothing about him was even specifically brewing in the first place, he brought this upon himself by taking these actions against others, and if you're still playing sides at this point you are in no way reflective of this community.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:
BlueChi wrote:Just say "reeeeee" and be done with it. This was a massive temper-tantrum in the form of an overgrown text post.
This is an example of a bad-faith actor not looking to address this situation with the severity it needs and has been outlined over and over.

Cursed Lemon and Kunzait here have consistently said everything that needs to be said, and it's appalling that there continues to be any "now now hold on let's look at """""both sides""""" here I believe I have done my research."

The one thing I want to reiterate that has been mentioned but hasn't been brought up recently: we can see exactly when this came about for Vic, and it wasn't even about him in the first place. What happened was a dude that's been regular friends with lots of anime fandom folks (named Dylan, going under the screen name "Hazukari") was outed as a predator in mid-January, that got folks talking, which in turn brought up the apparent open-secret Vic talk all over again, which in turn prompted the "fuck it we are DONE with this" discussion. Yes, it's a mini anime version of the larger #MeToo movement with literally all the same things and patterns of progress going on.

There was no anti-Vic conspiracy, nothing about him was even specifically brewing in the first place, he brought this upon himself by taking these actions against others, and if you're still playing sides at this point you are in no way reflective of this community.
Funny you say that when I've already spoken about 5x already about how I believe Vic is guilty of his wrongdoings. I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists. All you need to do is to read the previous pages. Unless you're implying I'm not reflective of the community for simply not going for one extreme but people like Lemon are when they mock my sexual assault. Is that what we're implying here?
What I take issue with Kunzait is not his stance on the Vic scandal, but his behaviour and "holier-than-thou, filthy peasants" attitude towards anyone who even dares not think with the same wavelength. It's a form of bullying, especially when the other person pretty much just said "let's all be polite here", and I don't care for that. Hence my post (which I should have elaborated on, tbh)

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:50 am

You are aware that's an autistic slur, right?

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
No. I'm actually not aware of that. I've seen it spread around some gaming pages here and there, but never associated with autism.
Edit: Oh, it's a 4chan thing. Of course it would be from those guys...

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
To be fair, he’s not the one who’s been accusing others of being on the spectrum.

Back to the topic, as far as Vic possibly going back to voice acting when this blows over. I used to be in that camp judging by history, but with Vicky boy getting lawyered up and ready to sue... that bridge is good and well burned IMHO. If he’d laid low for a few years, done the appropriate mea culpas, I think it’d have been possible to me quietly let back into the fold. Sadly companies don’t forget being fucking sued. Especially when (as you people forget) Funimation can fire him for any reason they like. They technically don’t even have to give a reason. No one is entitled to employment.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Not me, and I'm autistic. I thought that was just a catch all "I disagree dumb noise" generalization.

Also, Mr.Saturn, it's usually not good form to quote the ENTIRITY of a post Kunzait makes just to make a one-sentence rebuttal. That's just wasting space on the page for everyone.

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:This is an example of a bad-faith actor not looking to address this situation with the severity it needs and has been outlined over and over.

I agree that we shouldn't be rash and resort to putting each other down. This is a place where a fandom is supposed to be able to come together to discuss topics of importance in relation to it. That can lead to very extreme feelings when the topics hit close to home, and the topics discussed in this thread have certainly hit home to many, MANY people. However, and I must respectfully say, your actions on this thread have been disrespectful and cruel. That's a big claim coming from someone new, but I have to be honest despite whatever consequences that may entail. In the very first page of this thread you said:
VegettoEX wrote:I don't even know where to begin here, so let's at least just say you've disqualified yourselves from further comment on the issue. Not interested in the least what else you might have to say, or that of anyone else who wants to chime in with similar comments.
Too two people who said, in order:
PremiumSalt wrote:Until it is proven in a court of law that he committed these acts, I refuse to make a judgement. Innocent until proven guilty.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Yes, at this point it's only allegations and accusations of supposed acts. They have nothing concrete at this point which which to go forward on actually charging him with any degree of sexual misconduct or otherwise.
This does not show a desire for conversation, nor debate, no understanding, nor fellowship. It shows hypocrisy by you assuming the worst of those who were simply expressing their opinion. They didn't make fun of anyone, they didn't condemn anyone, they didn't say they didn't believe anyone. They simply stated their perspective that, while obviously different than yours, wasn't being done in a manner that warranted such harsh and blatant aggression on your part. You said you did this to stop:
VegetooEX wrote:bad-faith-actors who know exactly what they're doing, attempt to spin things around on the victims, and/or attempt to diminish the overall scope of the situation
Ok, you wanted to prevent people from speaking in bad faith. I ask, where did you draw the line at that? As I look through page after page after page of this thread, I see very little of you doing what you are meant to do. To being order, to bring calmness, to make everyone be respectful of one another despite the deep feelings that topics like these bring out of us. Yet, this thread is full of some of the most vile disrespectful comments between people I've seen in a while. Telling people they are conspiracy nuts, calling each other "left" or "right", assuming the worst when one speaks. I want to know where you were during all this. Even now we have multi-paragraph long rants between people about how they OBVIOUSLY knew this and OBLIVIOUSLY meant that and OBVIOUSLY should be ashamed because of x, y, and z.

Tell me, if you feel that this debate, even from the beginning of this thread, was already over and done with, then why is it still here (because a debate involves two sides coming together, not one side reiterating points from their own side)? If we aren't going to be respectful, if we aren't going to give the benefit of the doubt, and we aren't going to try and learn from each other, then what's the point of this thread? To simply let all the negative pile coalesce into one big ball until everyone hates to even speak with one another? I joined this conversation having looked at the thread and hoping that by being as respectful, open, and understanding as possible that I could help bring this back to all parties working together to come to a better conclusion. However, if simply stating that I have doubts, if simply stating that there could be "ifs", "buts", "maybes", or even just the notion that there are possibilities in any way shape or form, then I feel this thread should be closed. It would be better for everyone's happiness and health.

If this comes off as going against what I asked for in terms of respect, then I am sorry. I just feel this needs to be said. Take whatever action you feel necessary, I accept it.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote:To be fair, he’s not the one who’s been accusing others of being on the spectrum.
Sure, but that's how that garbage gets normalized.
KBABZ wrote:Not me, and I'm autistic. I thought that was just a catch all "I disagree dumb noise" generalization.

Also, Mr.Saturn, it's usually not good form to quote the ENTIRITY of a post Kunzait makes just to make a one-sentence rebuttal. That's just wasting space on the page for everyone.
As am I, but that goes hand in hand with "autistic screeching" and whatnot, just FYI.

I specifically edited my post so that wouldn't be the case. Is it not just Bluechi's quote showing up for you? It's just that for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:03 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:I specifically edited my post so that wouldn't be the case. Is it not just Bluechi's quote showing up for you? It's just that for me.
Crap, you're right, it was Bluechi. Sorry for that.