Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm
Gligarman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm
The Tori-bot wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:14 pm
We've established before that you are happy to argue against the most basic of math, but you don't hear me telling you to go back to primary school. I stand by my glib sarcasm. The fact that you seem to take more issue with me being rude to a Michael Jackson fan than literally anything else in this thread is enough to convince me that I should probably seek advice on how to "grow up" outside of an environment such as a kids' cartoon forum.
The only thing we've established is that you're incapable of making a valid point so you resort to hurling insults like an irate child. How about just not being rude at all? Why take issue with a Michael Jackson fan defending someone they admire from being compared to an actual sexual predator?
Because your views are based entirely on your emotions rather than looking at the man honestly. Thus, it’s hard for others to find any value in your perspective. I mean, I talked to someone who was a dub fan and he told me (I’m paraphrasing here) he didn’t care if Vic is guilty or not. He wants Mr. Mañana to get away with it so the feminists will cry. Shitty as that guy may be, he’s at least honest with himself. I respect that more than someone pretending.

Anyway, https://cnn.it/2TDsS55

The Simpsons staff is planning to pull the MJ episode from reruns, streaming, and physical media in the future. Not sure how I feel about this. I get removing it from reruns, but I think it’s wrong to keep it from people who might WANT to watch it. It’s a part of the show’s history, right or wrong.

This does potentially reopen the conversation about whether or not they will recast Broly in the new movie or the old trilogy.
SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:55 pmYou are being ironic, but actually that is the correct choice. Search for the law instead of publishing it on Twitter before.
As the law do it's job, the public repercussion naturally appears, and the criminals are punished.

I agree that many crime victims are afraid of some consequences, and because of that they don't call the authorities. But looking for the other side, the extremist/aggressive/mob behavior that you approve in those cases doesn't help this reality to be fixed, it just makes it worse.
D-did you just say (unironically) that it would have been better for Rosa Parks to give up her seat and “know her place” because the law is more important? Fucking WOW.
I'm not talking especifically about Rosa Parks, even because the law in US changed since she did her political moviment. The previous example (comparing Rosa Parks's fight against racism) with what we have now with Vic is just not proportionated.
I'm not talking about racism in 1960, but about the mob mentality we have now with internet in 2019.

Also, what Rosa did at her time was really much more brave, amazing and respectful than any postmodern Twitter discussion we have today.

Please, do not distort what I'm saying. I did not referred to Rosa Parks in my comments. JulieYBM's statement is the one that was disproportionated.
But, I edited my previous comment being more clear about that, if is really necessary, in order to not be misinterpretated again.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:44 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm Because your views are based entirely on your emotions rather than looking at the man honestly. Thus, it’s hard for others to find any value in your perspective. I mean, I talked to someone who was a dub fan and he told me (I’m paraphrasing here) he didn’t care if Vic is guilty or not. He wants Mr. Mañana to get away with it so the feminists will cry. Shitty as that guy may be, he’s at least honest with himself. I respect that more than someone pretending.
If we're talking about me personally I only have my word but I can guarantee you that it's not just my emotions that cause me to believe in Jackson's innocence and Mignogna's guilt. At one point I was a huge fan of both.

In regards to Jackson, yes I'm a huge life long fan but if I legit thought that he was guilty I'd cancel him in a heartbeat. I've done the same with people who I greatly admired that I later learned were scum. Two people came forward and both were disproved. They were after money. I mentioned before that people who commit such crimes don't stop at one or two and Jackson was the most powerful artist in the industry at one point. He could have gotten away with murder if he wanted to. If he was a predator in that regard we'd be hearing from victims all over the world. But he's been dead for 10 years and no one's came forward, not even in the heat of the #metoo movement. I'm not saying he didn't fuck up though. The dude was a man-child to say the least and he had some serious psychological issues. But a sexual predator? I just don't believe it.

Meanwhile I'm hearing testimony after testimony of people who were harassed or worse by Mignogna. Last I checked he doesn't exactly have a multi-million dollar estate so you know these people aren't seeking money. It's not going to help any of their careers either. Not to mention the numerous pictures we have of him being far too affectionate toward young girls. As far as I'm concerned the only thing these two have in common is they both had power in their respective industries but Mignogna is the only one I believe to be a sexual predator.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm
I'm not talking especifically about Rosa Parks, even because the law in US changed since she did her political moviment. The previous example (comparing Rosa Parks's fight against racism) with what we have now with Vic is just not proportionated.
I'm not talking about racism in 1960, but about the mob mentality we have now with internet in 2019.

Also, what Rosa did at her time was really much more brave, amazing and respectful than any postmodern Twitter discussion we have today.

Please, do not distort what I'm saying. I did not referred to Rosa Parks in my comments. JulieYBM's statement is the one that was disproportionated.
But, I edited my previous comment being more clear about that, if is really necessary, in order to not be misinterpretated again.

Social change waits for nobody. Women standing up to abusers and saying "Fuck you!" in public to destroy the systemic problem of abuse is the only way to create true change. Woman's Suffrage, the New Deal, the Civil Right's Movement and so many other events in history all started outside the courtroom and grew to change society for the better.

--Julie
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm
SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Social change waits for nobody. Women standing up to abusers and saying "Fuck you!" in public to destroy the systemic problem of abuse is the only way to create true change. Woman's Suffrage, the New Deal, the Civil Right's Movement and so many other events in history all started outside the courtroom and grew to change society for the better.

--Julie
All of those moviments started outside the courtroom, yeah, but with strong arguments and real action with objective targets to achieve.
It's not the same that happens in most of internet mobs in nowdays, especially with the fast speed informations have today.

But, I need to say that, I liked the picture. It looks like Youjo Senki.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pmAll of those moviments started outside the courtroom, yeah, but with strong arguments and real action with objective targets to achieve.
It's not the same that happens in most of internet mobs in nowdays, especially with the fast speed informations have today.
Dude, are you literally saying that ending sexual harassment isn’t a “strong argument” or “objective target”? Because that’s some high grade bullshit.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:23 pm

TKA wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:11 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm
I like how you ignored me saying 1 or 2 people with changing stories vs several more women with constant stories against Vic.
Hi. I don't need to quote your entire post and make the page even longer to scroll through.

You took my post too literally. I used "rapist" as an analogy. I could also say "just because someone is a serial killer doesn't mean they kill everyone they see."

Predators like MJ choose their victims. Safechuck and Wade have literally nothing to gain except stress, and harassment by coming out this late and after Michael Jackson died.

As for your "weird things," according to them, he would have them bend over and spread their cheeks so he could insert his tongue into their anuses, and masturbate. Both also recounted that he performed oral sex on them and they did the same to him. Wade specifically recounted 2 occasions where MJ tried to penetrate him with his penis.

So this goes far past "weird things".
One case happened in the 90's and was settled out of court with the young man having a ever changing story and his father saying he was going to get paid behind it.

The second case had MJ declared innocent after FBI watched him for years and once again a story that didn't add up. It is easy as hell to blame a dead man.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:28 am

Courts never declare someone innocent. They judge you "not guilty." It's not the same thing.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pmAll of those moviments started outside the courtroom, yeah, but with strong arguments and real action with objective targets to achieve.

Funny, I have literally the EXACT opposite view of you on this.

When the legal system fails you (as it has for COUNTLESS Americans on COUNTLESS issues besides just sexual assault: if you're unable to understand that America has a broken legal and political system that as it stands now is fundamentally set up to primarily serve one particular class of people above others, you are woefully not paying the slightest bit of attention and are living under a complete delusional fantasy: talk about "Red Pill vs Blue Pill") then grass roots activism is absolutely a CORNERSTONE of where REAL change in - what is ostensibly SUPPOSED to be - a Representative Democracy must come from.

Protest and civil dissent are absolute ESSENTIAL components of what America's ideals are SUPPOSED to stand for. This country was literally FOUNDED on a fucking rebellion against an oppressive status quo (though there is of course the utterly disgusting hypocrisy of its founding also resulting in ANOTHER form of even WORSE oppression against several other groups of people, but that's a whole separate tangent).

This kind of thing is EXACTLY what so many Left-leaning people mean when they talk so much about "privilege" and whatnot: when you're life is such that you don't HAVE to deal with any of these problems that befall SO many other people - oftentimes due to their race/class/gender/sexual orientation, etc. - that is a HUGE BENEFIT of being born and growing up the way that you have been.

And it doesn't mean that people born cis/white/straight/male etc. don't have ANY problems or that their lives are rosy: I'm a cis-white-straight-male myself, and my life has had MORE than its fair share of steep peaks and valleys. All it means is you don't have ALL THIS OTHER baggage over HERE to ALSO deal with on top of your own that OTHER people in OTHER camps often do.

So when you tell people, often people who are gay, or brown, or women, or trans, or whatever, that their problems "aren't real but imaginary" or that they're "whining", "playing the victim", or "raising too much of a fuss"... you sound like both a total fucking clueless idiot AND a callous, myopic dipshit.

I go into all of that because this is the fundamental mentality laden with bad/incorrect ingrained assumptions that a LOT of idiots on the internet (be they Redpills, MRAs, GamerGaters, or just generally clueless "I don't see what the big deal is or why such-and-such minority group is so upset" fuckmooks): the assumption that "because MY life doesn't have THESE particular problems, therefore NOBODY ELSE'S does either, and if you raise a big stink about it, all you're doing is inconveniencing the rest of us".

And hey, it doesn't even NECESSARILY have to be class/identity-dependent: while its MUCH LESS LIKELY overall, you too can be cis/white/male/straight-whatever, and STILL have some of the horrendous misfortune of some of these other problems (ones that typically mostly affected minorities generally) personally impact you in a myriad of horrible ways.

The underlying psychological issue at play here is that of poor assumptions, and the thinking that "I don't see it, it hasn't happened to me personally, it therefore must not exist or is being greatly exaggerated". And when you come into it under THAT mindset, you're apt to treat those who HAVE been affected and ARE demanding for serious change with not only skepticism, but also a lot of hemming and hawing and eye-rolling about how it might personally inconvenience both yourself and other people that you perceive to be more like you.

Its kind of the mental/dispositional equivalent of something like "Geez, all these protesters against the Vietnam war are SO annoying: they're out there day and night screaming about dead babies, and I'm just trying to enjoy my afternoon snack and favorite TV shows! What are they so upset about? Its not THEIR dead babies. None of this affects me, I just want to read my morning paper and not be bothered!"

And its like... tough fucking shit. This is life, this is reality, and we don't live on a fucking deserted island in the middle of a spacial vacuum: we live in a society where we're all sharing the same space as one another and EVERYTHING that we do bounces off of, impacts, and affects one another in some way: oftentimes in ways we may not even be able to conceive of at first glance.

If that simple reality is too much for you to deal with, and if the palpable pain, suffering, and real problems of MILLIONS of others is such a bothersome irritant to you, then don't go outside and don't go on the fucking internet at all. Or better yet, grow the hell up, and fucking deal with reality and the fundamental truth that its all not just fucking about you like a reasonable adult.

Widespread sexual assault (or "rape culture" for a more loaded way of putting the more pervasive, underlying societal issues with it) is VERY MUCH one of those kinds of issues: one that is VERY pervasive and HAS deeply impacted COUNTLESS MILLIONS of people (much more often women, but plenty of men too). And as with many other social ills, there is a GREAT deal of "It hasn't happened to me or anyone that I know of, therefore I don't believe its THAT bad".

And yes, before someone else chimes in with this, I am indeed very much allowing for the fact that there are at least a couple of people in this thread who claim they themselves were sexual assault victims, and yet STILL are dismissive and suspect of the broader issues with sexual assault and the claims of others and THEIR experiences with it: that's ultimately on them, and its still unfortunately very much possible (though overall certainly a great deal less probable generally) to have a problem directly impact you personally and yet STILL be stubbornly resistant to seeing past how you personally have dealt with it and be able to look more into the wider social issues underlying it beyond your own specific personal experiences with it and how you've coped with it or how YOU define it.

Because of all these bad/incorrect assumptions about the severity (or in some cases even the EXISTENCE) of these issues, there's a lot of that mentality of "I just want to enjoy my tea and crumpets* in peace, why can't everyone shut up about their problems and just go away and be quiet about it! I don't want to be bothered!" going around in various circles.

*(Or for most internet nerds in the 2000s and 2010s, "my Pokemon, kids' cartoons, and superhero shit")

And while there is indeed a fair amount of that "Just sit down and shut up!" rhetoric coming from female, brown-skinned, and even gay or trans, and other such individuals of that nature... its not for nothing and not at all a coincidence that overall, broadly speaking in the grander scheme of things, those examples are typically the outliers and the VAST overwhelmingly majority of the people behind this mentality is usually and more often than not an OCEAN of white/straight/male/middle or upper class suburban faces.

Because out of all the vast majority of different groups out there, pound for pound, THAT'S the subset that's the LEAST likely (in terms of overall averages, percentages, and probability) to have many of these specific kinds of issues directly affect them. And thus it is the EASIEST and most comforting thing in the world to retreat mentally/emotionally into a "see no evil/hear no evil, head-in-the-sand" mentality, rather than actually have to maybe accept that there's something genuinely, fundamentally fucking wrong with how society is working (or not working rather) for a LOT of people out there.

And also not for nothing: but a LOT of the "Yeah, but on the flipside..." arguments about this shit are oftentimes COMPLETE AND UTTER HORSESHIT on their face. For example, since this whole issue here is about sexual assault and things pertaining to #MeToo: this idea that "This is all devolving into a mob mentality, and innocent men who didn't actually do anything are suffering and paying the consequences."

While I'm sure that there are a few assorted individual cases of that actually happening here or there, and without a doubt those are INCREDIBLY fucked up and horrible incidents for sure: broadly speaking overall, that's NOT actually happening very much. While there have been false #MeToo allegations for sure... they've generally been VERY quick to turn out to NOT be accurate, and the accused quickly exonerated in the public eye. Don't forget, Stan Lee was #MeToo-ed at one point: and once it was apparent that it was a bullshit play for money, pretty much EVERYONE promptly fucking forgot about it, and since his death the guy's been venerated and paid respect to to no end. Aziz Ansari, another victim of a fake #MeToo accusation, is also not hurting for work last I checked.

Even Brett Kavanaugh (who I personally think is overwhelmingly likely to be guilty as all hell, but that's neither here nor there) is STILL sitting on the Supreme Court Bench, DESPITE having an UNBELIEVABLY credible (and in all probability, real) #MeToo accusation made against him. In many cases, even certain men who actually HAVE credible accounts thrown at them STILL manage to get away with it anyhow and prosper in their careers (which is kind of the whole point of what #MeToo is trying to fight back against).

Again, broadly and statistically speaking, the FEARS and WORRIES about a rash of fake #MeToo allegations ruining innocent men's reputations is generally FAR, FAR GREATER than any ACTUAL rash of fake accusations actually happening in reality.

If this were actually a REAL "mob mentality" in the true sense of the term... never-mind the fake accusations, where are the rashes of VIOLENCE and outright harassment against many of these accused men? Why aren't Kevin Spacey or James Franco or Louis C.K. or Bryan Singer or countless other accused individuals getting assaulted in the streets by angry mobs of women & feminists, or having their homes egged and bricks thrown through their windows, or words like "rapist" and "scum" spray painted onto their cars everywhere they go?

In the cases where criminal charges aren't or can't be brought up (like with Weinstein and Cosby), by and large the consequences that MANY of these celebrities (the VAST majority of whom overall, and I'm sure with some exceptions, are VERY often credibly and likely guilty) ultimately end up paying is that they're just LESS of a celebrity than they were previously. Oh horror: Louis C.K. can't make that sequel to I Love You, Daddy that everyone was chomping at the bit for. :roll: :roll:

Note instead where most of the ACTUAL rashes of violence and mindless "hate-mob mentality" is generally actually coming from in reality.

There's a GREAT deal of other interesting psychological phenomenon that can be delved into regarding topics like this, like a predisposition and compulsion to defend and protect power and figures representing power (even when its power that the person defending it doesn't actually possess themselves): but that's a whole side-tangent of its own. Instead, I'll just post an absolute all-time great and flawlessly apt quote on the matter from Matt Taibbi:
Matt Taibbi wrote:But actual rich people can’t ever be the target. It’s a classic peasant mentality: going into fits of groveling and bowing whenever the master’s carriage rides by, then fuming against the Turks in Crimea or the Jews in the Pale or whoever after spending fifteen hard hours in the fields.

You know you’re a peasant when you worship the very people who are right now, this minute, conning you and taking your shit. Whatever the master does, you’re on board. When you get frisky, he sticks a big cross in the middle of your village, and you spend the rest of your life praying to it with big googly eyes. Or he puts out newspapers full of innuendo about this or that faraway group and you immediately salute and rush off to join the hate squad. A good peasant is loyal, simpleminded, and full of misdirected anger. And that’s what we’ve got now, a lot of misdirected anger searching around for a non-target to mis-punish.
But I think more to the point here: many of these celebrity/entertainment industry figures (even Z-grade nothing ones like Mignogna) being so ravenously defended against all rationality, apart from the usual fandom personality cult shit, I think is also tied deeply on some level into the broader mentality of "None of this is affecting ME and MY personal comfort, so I don't want to be bothered with it: I just want to enjoy my popcorn and junk food TV and movies in peace and just want the angry rabble outside to quiet down."

Because in this case, its impacting these people's entertainment: "I don't give a fuck if this person who's movies/TV performances I enjoy might've hurt someone I don't know and never will know (or worse, someone I don't personally like), I just want to keep enjoying their work: I don't want any of this other stuff to impact or inconvenience ME and what I like."

The fundamental point of all this being: its the EASIEST thing in the world to tell someone else who's hurting "Your problems aren't that bad or are all in your head, now settle down please, the racket you're raising is disrupting my favorite cartoons." when YOUR ass is nice and comfy with the way things are.

And its also just as easy to look at problems that are (in your perspective at least) safely and comfortably in the past behind us. "Sure, someone like Rosa Parks was justified and warranted to protest because things were MUCH worse back then: but because things are in many ways BETTER NOW, that therefore means that EVERYTHING us hunky dory, and anyone that raises any fuss NOW is just an irritant and a whiner who is just bothering me."

This of course in NO WAY accounts for how many other comfortable, complacent white people back in the 1960s felt EXACTLY the same way about someone like Rosa Parks. "What's she crying over a bus seat for? We freed the slaves already! What more do these people want? Now they're just such a pestering bother, constantly whining for MORE shit, like 'basic civil rights'. :roll: :roll: :roll: "

Flash forward to today now: "Oh my god, I can't stand all this Black Lives Matter shit! What are black people so upset about? We freed the slaves! We gave them civil rights! Now what, they want police to stop unjustly harassing and murdering them when they're unarmed and oftentimes completely innocent? Jesus, is it EVER enough with these people?"

Same with women: "Oh my god, we gave them the right to vote! We stopped treating them as a husband's property! We gave them the right to work! We made marital rape illegal (in the early fucking 90s)! We let them serve in the military! We even let them have their own credit cards (in the fucking 1970s)! Now they're crying because so many men in positions of power and authority in the workplace cleanly get away with sexually harassing & assaulting them and holding their jobs hostage for sexual favors? And they're maybe sick and tired of seeing their boobs and butt on prominent display throughout so much media like CONSTANTLY all the fucking time? But I like boobs and butts! WHAT MORE DO THESE PEOPLE WANT!?"

The degree to which so many people today are just SO beyond historically illiterate and bereft of critical thinking and self-analysis that they're FUNDAMENTALLY incapable of seeing their own BLATANT hypocrisy in these kinds of situations and how they're in many ways NO DIFFERENT than the same comfortable people in previous eras of social upheaval... its nothing short of remarkable and borderline artistic.

So no, I have the COMPLETE AND FUNDAMENTALLY OPPOSITE reading of Julie's rebuttal to your (SaintEvolution's) preposterously dense and idiotic inability to recognize - some fairly fucking obvious - historical parallels.

That, and I think that Julie's image anime/Moe image is horribly ugly, gaudy, and gross aesthetically (as are, frankly, most of her images in that style). :P So yeah: total and COMPLETE opposite take: she's spot on in (most of, I disagree with her on a few specific points) the actual important substance, while her visual/aesthetic taste is more what I'd call into question.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 pm

To say nothing of the fact that Kavanaugh's actual policies are horrendously conservative and bigoted, that motherfucker still got elected.

--Julie, Queer-Ass Bitch Empress of the Holy Estradiol Empire and Moe Catgirl Who Needs a Head Pat.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pmThis kind of thing is EXACTLY what so many Left-leaning people mean when they talk so much about "privilege" and whatnot: when you're life is such that you don't HAVE to deal with any of these problems that befall SO many other people - oftentimes due to their race/class/gender/sexual orientation, etc. - that is a HUGE BENEFIT of being born and growing up the way that you have been.

And it doesn't mean that people born cis/white/straight/male etc. don't have ANY problems or that their lives are rosy: I'm a cis-white-straight-male myself, and my life has had MORE than its fair share of steep peaks and valleys. All it means is you don't have ALL THIS OTHER baggage over HERE to ALSO deal with on top of your own that OTHER people in OTHER camps often do.

So when you tell people, often people who are gay, or brown, or women, or trans, or whatever, that their problems "aren't real but imaginary" or that they're "whining", "playing the victim", or "raising too much of a fuss"... you sound like both a total fucking clueless idiot AND a callous, myopic dipshit.
Your whole post is incredible (as are all your other posts in this thread) I’d like to focus on this bit here for a moment though because it is so fucking on point. Our society is geared specifically towards cis white heterosexual men, people don’t seem to realize how much power that gives. And sure, you can be a cishet white man and still have struggles, but that doesn’t mean minorities don’t have it worse.

When I came out of the closet as a trans woman, my mother (who I was living with at the time) began making death threats against me. My sister (a self professed “history buff” who doesn’t know who Dick Cheney is and quotes the bible as a “historical text”) has consistently insisted that my mother’s behaviour is “not that bad” or I’m “blowing what she said out of proportion”. My sister outright told the cops that I was lying about things my mother had said while she was in the room. (And the cops ultimately took my mother’s side because it was two against one.) That’s only one example of the privilege I lost when I stopped pretending to be a cishet white male.

And to bring my post back on topic to Vic and the people who say “why didn’t they go to the cops when it happened?”, when all you have is your own word against someone else there’s no guarantee that you’ll be believed. I only ever called the cops on my family situation when I felt endangered and backed into a corner and my claims were dismissed and I was told to unpack my bags and keep living in that hellhole by them and even had one of the officers make a transphobic comment about how I should stop pretending to be a girl. (The story does have a happy ending as I did escape a few weeks later, no thanks to the police.)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:01 pm

My issue with formulating it as "white privilege" is it makes it seem like the Eddie Murphy white face SNL sketch where whites just give you shit for being white. It packages together people like middle class whites who mistakenly believe the whole world is just like the world they see everyday with people who have a crappy life but systemic racism isn't one of their issues.

Sadly, not so long ago I would count myself as one of those who would've said (not in a dismissive way) "why didn't you call the cops?" but when you see that it takes years to bring down Harvey Weinstein even though his sins were an open secret, it's hard to reach any other conclusion than it would've been a fruitless effort. One mistake is believing the world is fairer than it truly is.

SaiyamanMS, sorry about what you went through.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:06 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:01 pm Sadly, not so long ago I would count myself as one of those who would've said (not in a dismissive way) "why didn't you call the cops?"
The important thing is who you are now. I was totally one of these anti-SJW cringeanarchy fuckboys when I was like 14, but I grew up. It's easy to view things from a place of privilege when you're young and stupid, which encompasses most Vic supporters. I would go so far as to say most people will eventually get better from this, even if they're young and really stupid. Believe it or not, despite everything in American politics being a fucking mess I don't think society is moving backwards, I think women are more likely to be heard now then they ever have been before, and the Vic situation wouldn't have even happened maybe five or six years ago. After all, it was a problem by that point but nobody was ever properly paid any attention for it.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:06 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:01 pm Sadly, not so long ago I would count myself as one of those who would've said (not in a dismissive way) "why didn't you call the cops?"
The important thing is who you are now. I was totally one of these anti-SJW cringeanarchy fuckboys when I was like 14, but I grew up. It's easy to view things from a place of privilege when you're young and stupid, which encompasses most Vic supporters. I would go so far as to say most people will eventually get better from this, even if they're young and really stupid. Believe it or not, despite everything in American politics being a fucking mess I don't think society is moving backwards, I think women are more likely to be heard now then they ever have been before, and the Vic situation wouldn't have even happened maybe five or six years ago. After all, it was a problem by that point but nobody was ever properly paid any attention for it.
Plus, this allegations also led to the Anime Matsuri Convention being caught under fire, as Mignogna was planned to be guest at there.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm Plus, this allegations also led to the Anime Matsuri Convention being caught under fire, as Mignogna was planned to be guest at there.
Yeah, there's definitely been a greater push towards keeping people safe from harassment at conventions. They're now being treated with much greater scrutiny; which is good.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:19 pm Plus, this allegations also led to the Anime Matsuri Convention being caught under fire, as Mignogna was planned to be guest at there.
Yeah, there's definitely been a greater push towards keeping people safe from harassment at conventions. They're now being treated with much greater scrutiny; which is good.
Yeah, just read this article.
It's being boycott.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/ ... ned-guest/
Just like New Orleans boycotting the Super Bowl LIII after Saints lost that NFC Championship.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm Yeah, just read this article.
It's being boycott.
Just like New Orleans boycotting the Super Bowl LIII after Saints lost that NFC Championship.
Mmm... well, hopefully whatever happens, everyone comes through safe, fine, and taken care of. Especially all the starry-eyed fans that go to them; man or woman.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm Yeah, just read this article.
It's being boycott.
Mmm... well, hopefully whatever happens, everyone comes through safe, fine, and taken care of. Especially all the starry-eyed fans that go to them; man or woman.
I still don't know what this allegations will affect with Vic Relationship with Sega, as he's currently playing the role of E-123 Omega in the Sonic Series, and he's currently voicing Omega in Team Sonic Racing that is coming out in May. Will Sonic Team and Sega remove him as Omega in the SXSW or what.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm I still don't know what this allegations will affect with Vic Relationship with Sega, as he's currently playing the role of E-123 Omega in the Sonic Series, and he's currently voicing Omega in Team Sonic Racing that is coming out in May. Will Sonic Team and Sega remove him as Omega in the SXSW or what.
*shrug*

If I had to guess, they wouldn't fire him necessarily...but they WOULD have their finger on the trigger in the event that more allegations started coming out.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:48 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:38 pm I still don't know what this allegations will affect with Vic Relationship with Sega, as he's currently playing the role of E-123 Omega in the Sonic Series, and he's currently voicing Omega in Team Sonic Racing that is coming out in May. Will Sonic Team and Sega remove him as Omega in the SXSW or what.
*shrug*

If I had to guess, they wouldn't fire him necessarily...but they WOULD have their finger on the trigger in the event that more allegations started coming out.
How would you say that.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:12 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:17 pm
Dude, are you literally saying that ending sexual harassment isn’t a “strong argument” or “objective target”? Because that’s some high grade bullshit.
The argument here is not "end sexual harassment".

And actually, I'm not talking only about this Vic situation, but about most of Internet Mobs that happened in the last years.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Funny, I have literally the EXACT opposite view of you on this.

When the legal system fails you (as it has for COUNTLESS Americans on COUNTLESS issues besides just sexual assault: if you're unable to understand that America has a broken legal and political system that as it stands now is fundamentally set up to primarily serve one particular class of people above others, you are woefully not paying the slightest bit of attention and are living under a complete delusional fantasy: talk about "Red Pill vs Blue Pill") then grass roots activism is absolutely a CORNERSTONE of where REAL change in - what is ostensibly SUPPOSED to be - a Representative Democracy must come from.

Protest and civil dissent are absolute ESSENTIAL components of what America's ideals are SUPPOSED to stand for. This country was literally FOUNDED on a fucking rebellion against an oppressive status quo (though there is of course the utterly disgusting hypocrisy of its founding also resulting in ANOTHER form of even WORSE oppression against several other groups of people, but that's a whole separate tangent).

This kind of thing is EXACTLY what so many Left-leaning people mean when they talk so much about "privilege" and whatnot: when you're life is such that you don't HAVE to deal with any of these problems that befall SO many other people - oftentimes due to their race/class/gender/sexual orientation, etc. - that is a HUGE BENEFIT of being born and growing up the way that you have been.

I go into all of that because this is the fundamental mentality laden with bad/incorrect ingrained assumptions that a LOT of idiots on the internet (be they Redpills, MRAs, GamerGaters, or just generally clueless "I don't see what the big deal is or why such-and-such minority group is so upset" fuckmooks): the assumption that "because MY life doesn't have THESE particular problems, therefore NOBODY ELSE'S does either, and if you raise a big stink about it, all you're doing is inconveniencing the rest of us".

And hey, it doesn't even NECESSARILY have to be class/identity-dependent: while its MUCH LESS LIKELY overall, you too can be cis/white/male/straight-whatever, and STILL have some of the horrendous misfortune of some of these other problems (ones that typically mostly affected minorities generally) personally impact you in a myriad of horrible ways.

The underlying psychological issue at play here is that of poor assumptions, and the thinking that "I don't see it, it hasn't happened to me personally, it therefore must not exist or is being greatly exaggerated". And when you come into it under THAT mindset, you're apt to treat those who HAVE been affected and ARE demanding for serious change with not only skepticism, but also a lot of hemming and hawing and eye-rolling about how it might personally inconvenience both yourself and other people that you perceive to be more like you.

Its kind of the mental/dispositional equivalent of something like "Geez, all these protesters against the Vietnam war are SO annoying: they're out there day and night screaming about dead babies, and I'm just trying to enjoy my afternoon snack and favorite TV shows! What are they so upset about? Its not THEIR dead babies. None of this affects me, I just want to read my morning paper and not be bothered!"

And its like... tough fucking shit. This is life, this is reality, and we don't live on a fucking deserted island in the middle of a spacial vacuum: we live in a society where we're all sharing the same space as one another and EVERYTHING that we do bounces off of, impacts, and affects one another in some way: oftentimes in ways we may not even be able to conceive of at first glance.

If that simple reality is too much for you to deal with, and if the palpable pain, suffering, and real problems of MILLIONS of others is such a bothersome irritant to you, then don't go outside and don't go on the fucking internet at all. Or better yet, grow the hell up, and fucking deal with reality and the fundamental truth that its all not just fucking about you like a reasonable adult.

Widespread sexual assault (or "rape culture" for a more loaded way of putting the more pervasive, underlying societal issues with it) is VERY MUCH one of those kinds of issues: one that is VERY pervasive and HAS deeply impacted COUNTLESS MILLIONS of people (much more often women, but plenty of men too). And as with many other social ills, there is a GREAT deal of "It hasn't happened to me or anyone that I know of, therefore I don't believe its THAT bad".

And yes, before someone else chimes in with this, I am indeed very much allowing for the fact that there are at least a couple of people in this thread who claim they themselves were sexual assault victims, and yet STILL are dismissive and suspect of the broader issues with sexual assault and the claims of others and THEIR experiences with it: that's ultimately on them, and its still unfortunately very much possible (though overall certainly a great deal less probable generally) to have a problem directly impact you personally and yet STILL be stubbornly resistant to seeing past how you personally have dealt with it and be able to look more into the wider social issues underlying it beyond your own specific personal experiences with it and how you've coped with it or how YOU define it.

Because of all these bad/incorrect assumptions about the severity (or in some cases even the EXISTENCE) of these issues, there's a lot of that mentality of "I just want to enjoy my tea and crumpets* in peace, why can't everyone shut up about their problems and just go away and be quiet about it! I don't want to be bothered!" going around in various circles.

*(Or for most internet nerds in the 2000s and 2010s, "my Pokemon, kids' cartoons, and superhero shit")

And while there is indeed a fair amount of that "Just sit down and shut up!" rhetoric coming from female, brown-skinned, and even gay or trans, and other such individuals of that nature... its not for nothing and not at all a coincidence that overall, broadly speaking in the grander scheme of things, those examples are typically the outliers and the VAST overwhelmingly majority of the people behind this mentality is usually and more often than not an OCEAN of white/straight/male/middle or upper class suburban faces.

Because out of all the vast majority of different groups out there, pound for pound, THAT'S the subset that's the LEAST likely (in terms of overall averages, percentages, and probability) to have many of these specific kinds of issues directly affect them. And thus it is the EASIEST and most comforting thing in the world to retreat mentally/emotionally into a "see no evil/hear no evil, head-in-the-sand" mentality, rather than actually have to maybe accept that there's something genuinely, fundamentally fucking wrong with how society is working (or not working rather) for a LOT of people out there.

And also not for nothing: but a LOT of the "Yeah, but on the flipside..." arguments about this shit are oftentimes COMPLETE AND UTTER HORSESHIT on their face. For example, since this whole issue here is about sexual assault and things pertaining to #MeToo: this idea that "This is all devolving into a mob mentality, and innocent men who didn't actually do anything are suffering and paying the consequences."

While I'm sure that there are a few assorted individual cases of that actually happening here or there, and without a doubt those are INCREDIBLY fucked up and horrible incidents for sure: broadly speaking overall, that's NOT actually happening very much. While there have been false #MeToo allegations for sure... they've generally been VERY quick to turn out to NOT be accurate, and the accused quickly exonerated in the public eye. Don't forget, Stan Lee was #MeToo-ed at one point: and once it was apparent that it was a bullshit play for money, pretty much EVERYONE promptly fucking forgot about it, and since his death the guy's been venerated and paid respect to to no end. Aziz Ansari, another victim of a fake #MeToo accusation, is also not hurting for work last I checked.

Even Brett Kavanaugh (who I personally think is overwhelmingly likely to be guilty as all hell, but that's neither here nor there) is STILL sitting on the Supreme Court Bench, DESPITE having an UNBELIEVABLY credible (and in all probability, real) #MeToo accusation made against him. In many cases, even certain men who actually HAVE credible accounts thrown at them STILL manage to get away with it anyhow and prosper in their careers (which is kind of the whole point of what #MeToo is trying to fight back against).

Again, broadly and statistically speaking, the FEARS and WORRIES about a rash of fake #MeToo allegations ruining innocent men's reputations is generally FAR, FAR GREATER than any ACTUAL rash of fake accusations actually happening in reality.

If this were actually a REAL "mob mentality" in the true sense of the term... never-mind the fake accusations, where are the rashes of VIOLENCE and outright harassment against many of these accused men? Why aren't Kevin Spacey or James Franco or Louis C.K. or Bryan Singer or countless other accused individuals getting assaulted in the streets by angry mobs of women & feminists, or having their homes egged and bricks thrown through their windows, or words like "rapist" and "scum" spray painted onto their cars everywhere they go?

In the cases where criminal charges aren't or can't be brought up (like with Weinstein and Cosby), by and large the consequences that MANY of these celebrities (the VAST majority of whom overall, and I'm sure with some exceptions, are VERY often credibly and likely guilty) ultimately end up paying is that they're just LESS of a celebrity than they were previously. Oh horror: Louis C.K. can't make that sequel to I Love You, Daddy that everyone was chomping at the bit for. :roll: :roll:

Note instead where most of the ACTUAL rashes of violence and mindless "hate-mob mentality" is generally actually coming from in reality.

There's a GREAT deal of other interesting psychological phenomenon that can be delved into regarding topics like this, like a predisposition and compulsion to defend and protect power and figures representing power (even when its power that the person defending it doesn't actually possess themselves): but that's a whole side-tangent of its own. Instead, I'll just post an absolute all-time great and flawlessly apt quote on the matter from Matt Taibbi:
Matt Taibbi wrote:But actual rich people can’t ever be the target. It’s a classic peasant mentality: going into fits of groveling and bowing whenever the master’s carriage rides by, then fuming against the Turks in Crimea or the Jews in the Pale or whoever after spending fifteen hard hours in the fields.

You know you’re a peasant when you worship the very people who are right now, this minute, conning you and taking your shit. Whatever the master does, you’re on board. When you get frisky, he sticks a big cross in the middle of your village, and you spend the rest of your life praying to it with big googly eyes. Or he puts out newspapers full of innuendo about this or that faraway group and you immediately salute and rush off to join the hate squad. A good peasant is loyal, simpleminded, and full of misdirected anger. And that’s what we’ve got now, a lot of misdirected anger searching around for a non-target to mis-punish.
But I think more to the point here: many of these celebrity/entertainment industry figures (even Z-grade nothing ones like Mignogna) being so ravenously defended against all rationality, apart from the usual fandom personality cult shit, I think is also tied deeply on some level into the broader mentality of "None of this is affecting ME and MY personal comfort, so I don't want to be bothered with it: I just want to enjoy my popcorn and junk food TV and movies in peace and just want the angry rabble outside to quiet down."

Because in this case, its impacting these people's entertainment: "I don't give a fuck if this person who's movies/TV performances I enjoy might've hurt someone I don't know and never will know (or worse, someone I don't personally like), I just want to keep enjoying their work: I don't want any of this other stuff to impact or inconvenience ME and what I like."

The fundamental point of all this being: its the EASIEST thing in the world to tell someone else who's hurting "Your problems aren't that bad or are all in your head, now settle down please, the racket you're raising is disrupting my favorite cartoons." when YOUR ass is nice and comfy with the way things are.

And its also just as easy to look at problems that are (in your perspective at least) safely and comfortably in the past behind us. "Sure, someone like Rosa Parks was justified and warranted to protest because things were MUCH worse back then: but because things are in many ways BETTER NOW, that therefore means that EVERYTHING us hunky dory, and anyone that raises any fuss NOW is just an irritant and a whiner who is just bothering me."

This of course in NO WAY accounts for how many other comfortable, complacent white people back in the 1960s felt EXACTLY the same way about someone like Rosa Parks. "What's she crying over a bus seat for? We freed the slaves already! What more do these people want? Now they're just such a pestering bother, constantly whining for MORE shit, like 'basic civil rights'. :roll: :roll: :roll: "

Flash forward to today now: "Oh my god, I can't stand all this Black Lives Matter shit! What are black people so upset about? We freed the slaves! We gave them civil rights! Now what, they want police to stop unjustly harassing and murdering them when they're unarmed and oftentimes completely innocent? Jesus, is it EVER enough with these people?"

Same with women: "Oh my god, we gave them the right to vote! We stopped treating them as a husband's property! We gave them the right to work! We made marital rape illegal (in the early fucking 90s)! We let them serve in the military! We even let them have their own credit cards (in the fucking 1970s)! Now they're crying because so many men in positions of power and authority in the workplace cleanly get away with sexually harassing & assaulting them and holding their jobs hostage for sexual favors? And they're maybe sick and tired of seeing their boobs and butt on prominent display throughout so much media like CONSTANTLY all the fucking time? But I like boobs and butts! WHAT MORE DO THESE PEOPLE WANT!?"

The degree to which so many people today are just SO beyond historically illiterate and bereft of critical thinking and self-analysis that they're FUNDAMENTALLY incapable of seeing their own BLATANT hypocrisy in these kinds of situations and how they're in many ways NO DIFFERENT than the same comfortable people in previous eras of social upheaval... its nothing short of remarkable and borderline artistic.

So no, I have the COMPLETE AND FUNDAMENTALLY OPPOSITE reading of Julie's rebuttal to your (SaintEvolution's) preposterously dense and idiotic inability to recognize - some fairly fucking obvious - historical parallels.

That, and I think that Julie's image anime/Moe image is horribly ugly, gaudy, and gross aesthetically (as are, frankly, most of her images in that style). :P So yeah: total and COMPLETE opposite take: she's spot on in (most of, I disagree with her on a few specific points) the actual important substance, while her visual/aesthetic taste is more what I'd call into question.
Every political and legal system is somehow broken. There is no perfect political system. And I say that living in a much, but much worse country than US in therms of laws and politics, that is Brazil.

But even with that and even in Brazil, the law is what we have. We can't not follow it just because we don't want it.
If we disagree with a law, and that is perfectly fair, we can and we do protest to change it.

But, internet mobs and twitter rages aren't the best way of do that, clearly. The mob culture only makes the things worse. There is no real debate with different arguments from different sides in this culture, but just one group (that can be different according to the situation), trying to monopolize the truth, and if you disagree with this group in this context, you're immediatly evil and bad.

But, anyway, it's okay for you to totally disagree with me, even about the Youjo Senki fanart. You have the right to do that.