Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm

All I see is the con traded one guest for just about every other guest, I can't imagine what they were thinking. Anyone could see that if they invited Vic, the rest of them were going to drop. Is having him there really worth it that much to them?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Well it’s either their planning/guest management team is really incompetent and didn’t forsee something like this happening, or they were forced to bring Vic in by some other means. I’d bet it’s the former.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 pm

It's like jeez, way to put a damper on what should've been a great fan event at a time where the franchise has maybe never been stronger. Just mind-boggling levels of confidence.

And think of the narcissism and complete lack of awareness on Vic's part to snake his way back into the Con knowing what a massive distraction and albatross he was going to be to the entire thing.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm

What it "is" is hypocrisy. All this time spent on "Where's the evidence?" and "Innocent until proven guilty"... Yet Kamehacon completely forgot about the other side of the coin.

Vic hasn't been proven innocent, yet!! Absolute NOTHING substantial has come so far to guarantee that he's a safe person! As far as they know, he's still a threat to any female he comes across!

And this is someone who's already assembled a stable of lawyers! If he really is planning to take everyone to court, then it'll be happening any moment! Is Kamehacon really so impatient that they absolutely can't wait a few months longer? Or however long it takes for the hearings to start?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:13 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm Important side-bar: can we put a stop to quoting like, four paragraph-long posts??
The longer you post the smarter you are!

Or at least that’s what this forum thinks.
Hey now, I didn't say you couldn't make long posts in the first place. I just find it really annoying when users quote the ENTIRETY of said post (usually when responding to Kunzait) when they're usually highlighting only a particular segment of the post.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:18 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm Doubtful there will be a Kamehacon 3 after all this drama.
There most definitely will be. I applaud the bravery of those who have dropped out, but I will admit that so far nobody integral to what might make a DBZ con sell tickets has dropped out. Whether this is because of a legal contract, plain cowardice, or agreeing with Vic's appearance, I don't know.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Seriously, why the hell would they do this? I just don't get it

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Twitter is absolutely insufferable about this right now.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:39 pm

MajinMan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm Well it’s either their planning/guest management team is really incompetent and didn’t forsee something like this happening, or they were forced to bring Vic in by some other means. I’d bet it’s the former.
You do? I mean, don't get me wrong, it certainly could be, but I was inclined to believe the latter because it's hard--for me, anyway--to believe that all of the con's management team could be that tone-deaf. Possible, certainly, but I was more inclined to believe that either Vic threatened legal action or that he already signed a contract with the con before all this drama that more or less guarantees his appearance.

Could you elaborate on why you think it's the former? Since "tone" isn't always clear when posting on the internet, and since this is obviously a very emotionally charged subject, I'd like to clarify that I don't ask this in an argumentative way. Quite the contrary, I'm genuinely interested to hear your opinion on the matter.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:56 pm

ssj4 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:22 pm Seriously, why the hell would they do this? I just don't get it
Like I stated before, KamehaCon is like:

"Please don't sue us like you're doing to everyone else!"

Cons (and possibly voice actors) have been breaking legally binding contracts left and right. It doesn't matter if Vic is guilty or not. He could be very rich after all this is over. KamehaCon is getting out ahead of the oncoming legal storm.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 pm Twitter is absolutely insufferable about this right now.
It's okay, their arguments fall apart easily.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:34 pm Twitter is absolutely insufferable about this right now.
Truth

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm

I don't get it. Why are these guys so hellbent on defending Vic?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:22 pm

ssj4 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:21 pm I don't get it. Why are these guys so hellbent on defending Vic?
Because for them it's a proxy for defending their stupid MRA bullshit.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 pm

A lot of people are claiming that Rial, Douglas and Mills are going to be sued for breaching their contracts.

That seems incredibly stupid to me. Cancellations happen and the VAs would have a better idea of their contract than anyone.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm actually wondering how likely it is we're getting a third Kamehacon next year too at this point, as I saw some others questioning. It's a shame - Dragon Ball is probably one of the few anime super-popular enough in the US to manage a convention entirely to itself, but it's not looking too great that it'll keep happening.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Am I the only one who just gets a "The con organisers are on Vic's side" vibe from this?

It seems like the only explanation that makes sense to me. If he threatened legal action, the organisers will have had to know a cash settlement would be the only way out; taking him on as a guest could very well end the con, and this whole incident will taint it for everyone.

And no con organiser involved in a second Kamehacon would have the profound level of utter stupidity required to bring Mignogna on at this point.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 pm

These livestreams with Vic's Lawyer will answer a lot of your questions about "how" and "why". Chris Sabat and Monica Rial have allegedly been threatening the con owners over text which they can supposedly be sued for. The livestreams are long and there are timestamps in the comments for the second livestream, but I couldn't find any for the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4KwoT0ENTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP_QryM96JM

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 pm These livestreams with Vic's Lawyer will answer a lot of your questions about "how" and "why". Chris Sabat and Monica Rial have allegedly been threatening the con owners over text which they can supposedly be sued for.
As I said before, I don't believe for a second that Rial and Sabat were acting that way. They would have threatened to leave, sure, but I highly doubt that they were harassing the con owners because, well, they're professionals. I think this YouTube laywer is using colourful words to make Vic and the con appear as victims (ironic, really).

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:48 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:46 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 pm These livestreams with Vic's Lawyer will answer a lot of your questions about "how" and "why". Chris Sabat and Monica Rial have allegedly been threatening the con owners over text which they can supposedly be sued for.
As I said before, I don't believe for a second that Rial and Sabat were acting that way. They would have threatened to leave, sure, but I highly doubt that they were harassing the con owners because, well, they're professionals. I think this YouTube laywer is using colourful words to make Vic and the con appear as victims (ironic, really).
The youtube lawyer is interviewing Vic's lawyer in both videos. He apparently has proof. Watch for yourself if you wish.