Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by louisascommie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:30 pm
Kokonoe wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 pm
SaiyaSith wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm

How is an interview with Vic's lawyer propaganda? What's with all the fascism? This is newsworthy. It's Vic Mignogna's lawyer talking for 8 hours about what legal action is being taken.
When you're using that as a "point" then yes it is. 3 hour videos of Mr. Blackface is a joke lawyer and him going after the people dropping out?

Image

Nah screw this guy. He's terrible.
It's not even about Rekieta, it's about getting to hear Vic Mignogna's lawyer speak about the impending lawsuits, which in turn may change the Dragon Ball franchise itself. Please stop being shortsighted and ridiculous by trying to ban relevant news from this thread. I'm the type of person who likes to know everything going on, like many others. It's not about picking sides, it's about information.
Vic being the new dragon ball equivalent of Ken penders lol

Though Ken penders jever assaulted anyone as far as I am aware

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8821
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Saiga wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:26 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm
Looks like Josh Grelle has dropped out of going as well. Anyone have a handy list of who all actually is still going at this point? I'm curious how many are left at this point.
And from the responses.... "Hope you get sued"

Jeez, talk about spiteful. This is absolutely crazy.
Yeah, it's getting pretty awful out there, and sadly neither side is particularly helping at this point, at least in-so-far as internet bullshittery goes (though at this point the pro-Vic side is probably winning the obnoxiousness reward). I've even seen people wanting Sabat entirely removed from the Dragon Ball franchise at this point too. Yes, let's call for the removal of the guy who voices a crapton of roles in the hopes of getting back a guy who voices...well, one role, at least in regards to modern Dragon Ball.

Remember the days when all we had to argue among ourselves about were power levels, whether we watched it dubbed or subbed, and the like? They were simpler times. I miss them.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4388
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Obviously the next con will be Garlic Con. Confuse everybody!
I think people hoping for a con centralized around King Kamehameha were already confused!

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8821
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Obviously the next con will be Garlic Con. Confuse everybody!
Wouldn't that just be a night at VegettoEX's house, watching every single copy of DBZ movie 1 that has ever existed? :lol:
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

ShaggyBlanco
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:44 pm

louisascommie wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 pm
I'm actually wondering how likely it is we're getting a third Kamehacon next year too at this point, as I saw some others questioning. It's a shame - Dragon Ball is probably one of the few anime super-popular enough in the US to manage a convention entirely to itself, but it's not looking too great that it'll keep happening.
Someone van try agian with a diffrent team behind it

Now that kamehameha is tainted as a con name i guess the next attempt would be Saiyan con?

Can't use anything with dragon in the name as that's already used in conventions circuit.
"MasenCon"

Blondiebear_17
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 pm

It kinda makes me sick whenever I see and hear random youtubers commenting on the situation when they clearly don't even know much about the franchise or the voice actors. People will jump onto any band wagon and comment about any situation for political reasons and the likes and views.

User avatar
Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:42 pm
Wouldn't that just be a night at VegettoEX's house, watching every single copy of DBZ movie 1 that has ever existed? :lol:
No, that’d be Dead Con. Garlic Con is all about purple beams!
ShaggyBlanco wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:44 pm

"MasenCon"
“Bankoku Bikkuri Show” (yes I know that’s literally where the pun comes from)
Last edited by Ex-Dubbie369 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5873
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:05 pm
Yeah, I'll be honest. I haven't followed this at all. And actively ignore any videos about it that pop up on my recommendations list. Other than a quick commentary by Geekdom saying that he's staying out of this, I haven't watched anything on it.
Well he just made a new video that starts off with a promo urging everyone to go to the con...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by louisascommie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm actually not that well versed in anime and dragon ball and some of one piece are the only anime I really know the voice actors of a lot of characters

I only say this becuase I'm a big fan of fma and the English dub and yet I didn't know Vic was the voice of Edward until this year after the allegations.

But there were people who knew that and were giant fans and are only defending him because they were fans

Like I was a fan of Andy signore over at screen junkies but i never defended him after the allegations came out. I didnt feel the need to attack April, JTE, and the other 2 woman who spoke out.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 pm
gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am
They have every right to be angry, but I feel they should have expressed that anger elsewhere. Doesn't make their claims any less valid, however.
Where should they have done it?
On their personal accounts that people have to request to be added to, not their public posts that can be shared to anyone including potential employers.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with them sharing their stories publically. What I do have a problem with is one saying they want Vic's head and balls or claiming to report comments to homeland security (even simple ones such as those asking where the proof is. A simple block does the trick much better than giving the #IStandWithVic crowd ammo). It's not good business to get heated with fans and potential fans where everyone can see it, which is why Monica and Jamie's twitters now require their permission for one to follow them (iirc).

Obviously, I doubt they'll lose any jobs over this, but I've seen what the other side thinks of their reactions. Like or not, a sizable portion of the anime community absolutely despises several working voice actors and most likely won't support productions they're involved in, and that's something studios will have to way before casting them.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12965
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm
Fionordequester wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 pm
gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am
They have every right to be angry, but I feel they should have expressed that anger elsewhere. Doesn't make their claims any less valid, however.
Where should they have done it?
On their personal accounts that people have to request to be added to, not their public posts that can be shared to anyone including potential employers.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with them sharing their stories publically. What I do have a problem with is one saying they want Vic's head and balls or claiming to report comments to homeland security (even simple ones such as those asking where the proof is. A simple block does the trick much better than giving the #IStandWithVic crowd ammo). It's not good business to get heated with fans and potential fans where everyone can see it, which is why Monica and Jamie's twitters now require their permission for one to follow them (iirc).

Obviously, I doubt they'll lose any jobs over this, but I've seen what the other side thinks of their reactions. Like or not, a sizable portion of the anime community absolutely despises several working voice actors and most likely won't support productions they're involved in, and that's something studios will have to way before casting them.
Decorum don't mean shit when a piece of shit rubs his hands over your person, kisses you, or holds your close to his person in an inappropriate way.

Wishy-washy centrism like this is no different from "she should've known she'd get raped dressing like that!"
She/Her | 29 | Bisexual | Certified Dragon Ball Fangirl since October 1998

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 pm
gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm
Fionordequester wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:46 pm


Where should they have done it?
On their personal accounts that people have to request to be added to, not their public posts that can be shared to anyone including potential employers.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with them sharing their stories publically. What I do have a problem with is one saying they want Vic's head and balls or claiming to report comments to homeland security (even simple ones such as those asking where the proof is. A simple block does the trick much better than giving the #IStandWithVic crowd ammo). It's not good business to get heated with fans and potential fans where everyone can see it, which is why Monica and Jamie's twitters now require their permission for one to follow them (iirc).

Obviously, I doubt they'll lose any jobs over this, but I've seen what the other side thinks of their reactions. Like or not, a sizable portion of the anime community absolutely despises several working voice actors and most likely won't support productions they're involved in, and that's something studios will have to way before casting them.
Decorum don't mean shit when a piece of shit rubs his hands over your person, kisses you, or holds your close to his person in an inappropriate way.

Wishy-washy centrism like this is no different from "she should've known she'd get raped dressing like that!"
Sorry, but as a working entertainer, decorum, is everything. Case in point, look at Rosanne Barr, Barbra Streissand, Gilbert Gottfried, Kathy Griffin, John Lennon (bigger than Jesus comment), and yes, even Vic Mignogna. These people either had their careers ruined by controversy or at the very least have turned off a sizable portion of their potential clients and fanbase due to their comments. When casting directors hire talent, they hire a personality, not just talent. Who would you rather work with: A mild mannered person who is easy to work with and direct, or a diva? Given the choice, most would choose the former.

I want to see these actors get more work, but I fear this controversy may cause clients to look elsewhere.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Blondiebear_17
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Anyone feel like the convention is going to end up breaking into two different events like a civil war situation?

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 pm

Blondiebear_17 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 pm
Anyone feel like the convention is going to end up breaking into two different events like a civil war situation?
It's already starting to. Monica Rial is already going to sign autographs elsewhere.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Blondiebear_17
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:30 pm
Blondiebear_17 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 pm
Anyone feel like the convention is going to end up breaking into two different events like a civil war situation?
It's already starting to. Monica Rial is already going to sign autographs elsewhere.
Yeah when I heard that I half expected more people to pull out and an announcement of a competing event nearby.

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 am

gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm
On their personal accounts that people have to request to be added to, not their public posts that can be shared to anyone including potential employers.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with them sharing their stories publically...
Yeah, that's about what I thought you'd say. To that, I have this to say in response; a testimony from a long time con worker. She posted this in January 30, and it's a really good summation of exactly why your approach doesn't work for getting anything done in the public sphere...
Illia Sadri wrote:Okay, I am one of the long time con staff and had been dealing with Vic since the early 2000s. There have been times working with him I've had to affect a good firm, but polite no and move a hand from its place. This was because even by the mid 2000s these rumors were all over and I knew to expect it.

This is no secret.

Here's the dirty fact nobody wants to confront. It was reported. As were many other incidents from attendees and staff. In a dozen or so years staging and 20 attending there are at least as many incidents from cons alone.

It didn't matter.

As someone still dealing with this crap as a white collar professional who has been fired for reporting being assaulted by coworkers while the assailant kept his job that is kicker. That when I went to their partners and investors (Nickelodeon and Riot and Minectaft among others) with the documentation, they apologized and said it was being treated seriously only for them to keep all relations with this company. They do e-sports for children. But them covering up and supporting the bad guy in a crime was A-ok to do business with.

We continue to ask why these incidents take years to come out and why women do not readily come forward.

We do. We get buried, called not team players bitches and any number of awful terms because boys will be boys and why get so worked up over this.


It has to start mattering.

P.S. shame on ANN because there is zero shot you guys were not aware of the Vic stories. Again, you chose not to speak up. It took Jesse speaking up and it going semi viral for you to care about what women in the community had known for the better part of 20 years.
So with that in mind, what are they supposed to do but drag all this out into the open? Their only chance at FINALLY getting someone to listen to them?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by DHM211 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:38 am

Blondiebear_17 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 pm
Anyone feel like the convention is going to end up breaking into two different events like a civil war situation?
Apparently I wasn't the only one thinking about this.
I can definitely see members of the #IStandWithVic and #KickVic crowds getting into some kind of confrontation.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 am
gokaiblue wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:12 pm
On their personal accounts that people have to request to be added to, not their public posts that can be shared to anyone including potential employers.

Let me be clear, I have no problem with them sharing their stories publically...
Yeah, that's about what I thought you'd say. To that, I have this to say in response; a testimony from a long time con worker. She posted this in January 30, and it's a really good summation of exactly why your approach doesn't work for getting anything done in the public sphere...


So with that in mind, what are they supposed to do but drag all this out into the open? Their only chance at FINALLY getting someone to listen to them?
They'll get a lot more people to listen to them if they don't claim to want Vic's head and balls, which was my whole point. Their stories are fine. Their opinions are fine, but as soon as they post anything even remotely close to a threat, that's where they could be in trouble.

And let me be perfectly clear, I'm looking at this mostly from a business perspective. As I stated previously, decorum is key for an entertainer. Several performers have lost careers due to their comments and behavior on and offstage/off set. Why do you think prominent figures have publicists?

Testimony is not what I'm criticizing. They can testify away.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am

gokaiblue wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 am
They'll get a lot more people to listen to them if they don't claim to want Vic's head and balls, which was my whole point. Their stories are fine. Their opinions are fine, but as soon as they post anything even remotely close to a threat, that's where they could be in trouble.
When was that, btw? The "head and balls" comment? And by who?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:55 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am
gokaiblue wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 am
They'll get a lot more people to listen to them if they don't claim to want Vic's head and balls, which was my whole point. Their stories are fine. Their opinions are fine, but as soon as they post anything even remotely close to a threat, that's where they could be in trouble.
When was that, btw? The "head and balls" comment? And by who?
Jamie Marchi tweeted it. https://twitter.com/marchimark/status/1 ... 04512?s=19
@marchimark on Twitter wrote:Yes, I want his head. I want his balls. I want him to feel an ounce of the pain he's cause others and then fucking choke on it. I want you to take his dick out of your ears so you can actually hear reality. But, you know, that's just me.
That is not what I would expect a professional in any field to say. Jamie Marchi is a professional voice actress, not some random internet nobody. It has already alienated several anime fans, and it may end up costing her future clients. I know I wouldn't hire her after that tweet regardless of how I feel on the situation.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Locked