Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm

FYI for the vast majority of jobs (not sure if Funimation contracts are part of the exception) your employer can fire you at any time (and you can leave at any time) for any reason that doesn't relate to race, sex, or creed (and I'm not even sure if he was fired per se, aren't voice actors basically contractors?). They don't actually have to prove anything.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 pm FYI for the vast majority of jobs (not sure if Funimation contracts are part of the exception) your employer can fire you at any time (and you can leave at any time) for any reason that doesn't relate to race, sex, or creed (and I'm not even sure if he was fired per se, aren't voice actors basically contractors?). They don't actually have to prove anything.
They don't. Except they put out a statement after announcing that they were cutting ties with Mignogna saying that they don't condone harassment or threatening behavior. To most bystanders, that sounds like a reason for termination. When they cut ties with people like Scott Freeman or Illich Guardiola, they did not put out any statement denouncing pedophilia, so it's odd that they opened themselves up like that.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:46 am

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 pmThe dude was an actual cop for two years, and is now a literal vice president & co-owner of his own music, sound design, and video production company, among many other things. Voice acting is inconsequential to him; so inconsequential, in fact, that he doesn't even list it on his professional resume.
Shaddy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm He does list it on your link there, page 3. It just says "Professional voice actor for numerous nationally released animated programs", then links to IMDB.

That's not to say your point doesn't stand though, since he frontloads the resume with everything else and barely pays any mind to the voice work.
To play devil's advocate, it's easily possible for Vic to have reshuffled his resume to prioritize his non-VA qualifications, so as to not emphasize his outing from the VA community and increase the likelihood of getting a job in another field.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:31 am

AgitoZ wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pm The sad part about it we may never learn what happens in court. Vic Mignogna is not that big to get a public broadcast of the trial and it's a high chance it'll be private behind closed doors without publishing the full details publicly.
Almost all court proceedings in the United States of America are open to the public. Anyone can come in with a notepad and take notes. No one involved in this is high profiled enough that there is a chance of big disruptions of proceedings if this goes to court so it's not likely to be private. The only way people don't find out about what happens in court is if parties settle outside of court before a trial begins.
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pmFUNimation made their investigation but since it was private without releasing the full details then it's easy for his fans to think it was one giant conspiracy against him. And an official court case may bring the same result if not worse if he was indeed found guilty and the fans will make all kinds of assumptions and won't accept the guilty verdict because they feel entitled to see all the supposed evidence used against their idol.
The gizmodo article states that Funimation conducted an investigation into Mignogna's conduct before dubbing started for Dragon Ball Super: Broly but that was found inconclusive. They reached to Funi for comment but did not elaborate anymore details and merely replied with the same comment found on their twitter feed that they are no longer engaging with him after an internal investigation. Presumably, these are two separate investigations. And Mignogna would not be found "guilty" because he would be the plaintiff not the defendant, since none of his actual accusers seem particularly interested in taking him to court themselves. It could be found somewhere during the trial, either during discovery or proceedings, that he did in fact do those horrible things but that would just mean he loses the hypothetical lawsuit.
Oh, okay. I've been having a wrong idea about the American legal system then.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:25 am

Fionordequester wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:01 pm
SaiyaSith wrote:Mind you, this is what I've heard from watching livestreams with Vic's lawyer. I'm no lawyer and am just regurgitating this information...lol
Oh! That reminds me! Could you please time code each new video you watch? Basically, any time he starts talking about something major?

His vids are extremely long, which means I can't often commit the time needed to watch em. So I'd like to only see the relevant bits.
That would be a lot of work, but some of the videos have timestamps in the comments. Here's one with timestamps pinned at the top of the comment section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP_QryM96JM

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 pm

So apparently if you go to Pensacon or sakuracon and go over to get an autograph from Monica rial, you will be kicked out from the con or you will be arrested...you guys still think this is all reasonable...

https://twitter.com/imsupergirl11/statu ... 60257?s=21
Last edited by Mooreish on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 pm So apparently if you go to Pensacon or sakuracon and go over to get an autograph from Monica rial, you will be kicked out from the con or you will be arrested...you guys still think this is all reasonable...
Is there a source for this?

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 pm So apparently if you go to Pensacon or sakuracon and go over to get an autograph from Monica rial, you will be kicked out from the con or you will be arrested...you guys still think this is all reasonable...
Is there a source for this?
Yeah sorry, forgot to post it.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:22 pm

Mooreish wrote:Yeah sorry, forgot to post it.
First of all, you need to be careful about taking ANYTHING at face value at this point. Both sides have at least one confirmed instance of trying to smear the other with flag stories.

Secondly, if this DID happen, it was done shortly after the bomb threat was made, as you can see here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kaymyu/statu ... 8/photo/1/
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Yeah sure that happened

Btw all you have to do is read through these comments on this Kameha Con thread announcing that Monica is signing at another event to see Vic’s fan base have no clue what they are talking about. They actually expected Kameha to sue Monica for breaking her contract. Lol

https://twitter.com/kamehacon/status/11 ... 61249?s=21

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 pmThey actually expected Kameha to sue Monica for breaking her contract. Lol

"Breakjng her contract"? Can't guests drop out any time they wish?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 pmThey actually expected Kameha to sue Monica for breaking her contract. Lol

"Breakjng her contract"? Can't guests drop out any time they wish?

Yeah it happens all the time at cons but these peoplee really thought she was going to get sued

And it’s funny how they talk about class but literally every post about her they go in and attack her. I’ve seen horrible/sick things said about her. Reported a few users on twitter.

And people wonder why women don’t speak up. Because when they do this happens.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:58 pm

"I brought it up with my #IStandWithVic group"

Okay bud

Also anyone notice that the people going in on Monica, their Twitter feeds are NOTHING but shit about the Vic debacle?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:58 pm "I brought it up with my #IStandWithVic group"

Okay bud

Also anyone notice that the people going in on Monica, their Twitter feeds are NOTHING but shit about the Vic debacle?
Yeah, they love the attention it gets them. MRAs

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm

...why are you all so sure Vic is in the wrong anyway? Have you tried seeing if there has been evidence that shows that he’s been the one that’s been wronged here. And if you respond to this, please don’t be rude about it. I just want an answer. That is all.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm ...why are you all so sure Vic is in the wrong anyway? Have you tried seeing if there has been evidence that shows that he’s been the one that’s been wronged here. And if you respond to this, please don’t be rude about it. I just want an answer. That is all.
Because most of us have heard these things about Vic for YEARS from multiple people it was just nothing was ever done about until now.

Trust me there is not that many stories from people with no relation to one another and there not be truth to it.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:36 pm"Breakjng her contract"? Can't guests drop out any time they wish?
It's known as a breaching a contract, not "breaking." And yes, you can technically drop out at any time but that just leaves you open to legal consequences. Anime News Network obtained a copy of one of the Kamehacon contracts and it said,
Anime News Network wrote:Anime News Network obtained a copy of Silvrfire's confidential guest contract for this year's Kameha Con convention. The contract outlines the stipulations needed for a guest or the event management to cancel an appearance at the event. The contract's fourth section (IV) states under item 4.2:
Contract wrote:Once a guest has been advertised, or promoted, in any way, to appear at Event, neither SilvrFire nor Guest may change the parameters of this Agreement or cancel Guest's appearance for any reason other than those outlined in section 4.3 & 4.4., however neither party shall be in breach this Agreement if there is any total or partial failure of performance by it or its duties and obligations under this Agreement occasioned by any act of God, fire, act of government or state, criminal act of any third party, war, civil commotion, insurrection, act of terrorism, embargo, labor disputes of whatever nature, adverse weather conditions, event cancellations, and any other reasons beyond the control of either party.
The contract goes on to say that if either the event or guest is affected by one of the aforementioned reasons, they must provide the reason in writing with substantial proof. The following section (4.3) lays out that guests will not be held liable for failure to attend the convention for the above reasons but also goes on to include illness, injury, and/or disability of the guest or an immediate family member as viable reasons to cancel. Section 4.4 stipulates that guests may not cancel in order to attend another autograph event unless contractually obligated by a studio to do so.
Rial was clearly in breach of doing this herself by cancelling and announcing she was doing signings somewhere off site the convention. If the convention came and went and she wasn't there then that puts her in danger of legal action. But given that Kamehacon is promoting it on their twitter, the two parties worked something out and the con staff is not going to purse any legal action.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 pm ...why are you all so sure Vic is in the wrong anyway? Have you tried seeing if there has been evidence that shows that he’s been the one that’s been wronged here. And if you respond to this, please don’t be rude about it. I just want an answer. That is all.
Because most of us have heard these things about Vic for YEARS from multiple people it was just nothing was ever done about until now.

Trust me there is not that many stories from people with no relation to one another and there not be truth to it.
From what I’ve seen some of the stories I’ve heard have been pulled from other situations that happened. Like the hair pull thing was from a photo shoot thing with him and Wendy Powell which was a reference to full metal alchemist when envy did it to Edward Elric. They looked like they were just having fun.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7xFqA2xhfikTjTDu6

And the whispering. That just seems like that tea drinking scene that fans request to do with him a lot at conventions.

And he’s definitely not a homophobe. If he were, why would he do this?

https://youtu.be/LVt81yaqv4s

Also here he is years ago talking about being called a homophobe.

https://youtu.be/ElGel023eok

2:29 or 2:30 for it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 pm

From what I’ve seen some of the stories I’ve heard have been pulled from other situations that happened. Like the hair pull thing was from a photo shoot thing with him and Wendy Powell which was a reference to full metal alchemist when envy did it to Edward Elric. They looked like they were just having fun.

And the whispering. That just seems like that tea drinking scene that fans request to do with him a lot at conventions.

Again I have heard bad stories about Vic doing creepy things to fans and being horrible to convention staff for years.

Some conventions like Anime Boston (where a friend was on the volunteer staff) refused to invite him years ago because they knew he was a trouble maker

Some cons just kept inviting him because they cared more about money then morals .

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Again I have heard bad stories about Vic doing creepy things to fans and being horrible to convention staff for years.

Some conventions like Anime Boston (where a friend was on the volunteer staff) refused to invite him years ago because they knew he was a trouble maker

Some cons just kept inviting him because they cared more about money then morals .
Some have said the same about other voice actors. Like how Sean schemmel is apparently a real primadonna when it comes to acknowledging the existence of other goku voice actors. Or how Amanda Winn lee said she hoped a woman was raped because she thought differently about something from her.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jdJX4CYpNWSPe5ju8

Or when she said she wouldn’t care if someone killed themselves.

https://twitter.com/supermar1oultra/sta ... 56512?s=21

Or Sarah weidenheft defending her brother having cp when accusing Vic of committing p.

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anim ... -gofundme/

I’m just saying to not focus on just one side guys.