Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:05 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 pm Vic's lawyer said that the people he is suing have already been public about the whole thing, so that's where they're keeping it. Here's the whole interview with a cameo from Todd Haberkorn (Jaco) at the the start: https://youtu.be/mzP7TdTZHq8?t=1m20s
That is in no way a reasonable explanation.

If you want to post details and updates on social media over the course of the suit go for it. But deliberate intimidation and mob baiting is not acceptable professional conduct.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:05 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 pm Vic's lawyer said that the people he is suing have already been public about the whole thing, so that's where they're keeping it. Here's the whole interview with a cameo from Todd Haberkorn (Jaco) at the the start: https://youtu.be/mzP7TdTZHq8?t=1m20s

If you want to post details and updates on social media over the course of the suit go for it. But deliberate intimidation and mob baiting is not acceptable professional conduct.
Intimidation and mob baiting because he contacted someone on twitter involved in their lawsuit? This is one of the people he's suing:

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm

They need to get the message.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm

What message? That they should never go public on sexual assault cases that more likely than not did happen? That they shouldn't speak up or risk getting a barrage of trolls fired-up from Youtube profiteers harassing them? I think we can all agree that's not okay, no matter whether the person involved is saying something truthful or not?

The fact is Beard *quote-tweeted* the other person's message. You do not do that unless you want to make their statement public to thousands of your own followers who are biased in your favour. This goes past acceptable conduct. This is bullying.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm
Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm

What message? That they should never go public on sexual assault cases that more likely than not did happen? That they shouldn't speak up or risk getting a barrage of trolls fired-up from Youtube profiteers harassing them? I think we can all agree that's not okay, no matter whether the person involved is saying something truthful or not?

The fact is Beard *quote-tweeted* the other person's message. You do not do that unless you want to make their statement public to thousands of your own followers who are biased in your favour. This goes past acceptable conduct. This is bullying.
The person he tweeted is the journalist who wrote the article against Vic. She's publicly tweeting about the situation and he publicly responded. She's obviously part of the lawsuit now.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 pm Intimidation and mob baiting because he contacted someone on twitter involved in their lawsuit? This is one of the people he's suing:
What part of professional conduct do you not understand.

He is a lawyer, acting in a professional capacity for a client. These two things are not the same.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Elon Musk is a creep so if he is Pro Vic I certainly wouldn’t be surprised

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Am I seriously witnessing excuses for Ty Beard painting targets on others? Are we really doing this? How many time do we have to say this isn't okay?

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm Am I seriously witnessing excuses for Ty Beard painting targets on others? Are we really doing this? How many do we have to say this isn't okay?
It is when they’ve painted targets on Vic by just using a fucking jelly bean.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm Elon Musk is a creep so if he is Pro Vic I certainly wouldn’t be surprised
No he’s a weeb. And don’t judge a person by how their face looks. We know that’s what you’re doing because that’s the only way you’d come to that conclusion.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 pm Intimidation and mob baiting because he contacted someone on twitter involved in their lawsuit? This is one of the people he's suing:

He is a lawyer, acting in a professional capacity for a client. These two things are not the same.
All he said was "Welcome to the party." in response to a journalist talking about his client and case.

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm
Yes and he has to prove what is said about him was false and intended to harm. That is how it works.
Ok, I've periodically been looking at the thread now and again, so let me clear up this confusion that's come up now and again of how defamation cases work (as Nick as said multiple times in his streams).

Vic is not the one who has to PROVE something, at least at the start. He is the PLANTIFF and for this first round of the case the DEFENDANTS are "FUNIMATION PRODUCTIONS, LLC, JAMIE MARCHI, MONICA RIAL, AND RONALD TOYE" as per the document filed yesterday (4/18/19) [SaiyaSith linked Nick's stream on that in their post (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzP7TdTZHq8) with the discussion of the document itself going from about 2:08:00 - 3:34:00). The DEFENDANTS are the ones who have to show that their statements about Vic are true, not Vic having to show that the statements about him are false. This is because in a defamation case the first thing the PLANTIFF (in this case Vic) has to do is, under oath, swear that the statements about them are false and have damaged them in some significant manner. After this is done, it is then assumed that the PLANTIFF is telling the truth and this makes it the burden of the DEFENDANTS to prove that their statements about the PLANTIFF are in fact truth, with the PLANTIFF able to give counter information to that.

However, Texas is interesting in how it looks at truth in terms of the law. What I mean by this is, even if what you said about the PLANTIFF IS TRUE, you can still actually lose the case. This is because Texas places just as much importance on whether those statements are actually malicious (that is, they are reasonably shown to have been done in a concentrated effort to harm the individual) in nature and if a reasonable,unrelated individual would take those statements and form a negative view of the PLANTIFF. This can be a bit confusing, but here's an article that discusses it in a manner that makes sense (https://www.boyarmiller.com/news-and-pu ... ion-claim/). To summarize it, everything you say can be TRUE, but if the overall "gist" of what you say does in fact paint a negative picture of the PLANTIFF and the PLANTIFF's side can show that it was done with actual malice, then the DEFENDANTS still lose because those statements were in fact defamatory.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just someone whose been following this and trying to expand my knowledge of the legal processes at work at the same time. Thus, I admit I could be wrong about how I presenting. Still, I believe that at least most of what I said is fairly accurate, and wanted to try and dispel some confusion over all this (as the U.S. legal system is a hell that no one whose lucky will ever have to deal with for more than very minor, quick things). In any case, I hope I helped some understand what's going on better, and am hoping for a conclusive ending for all of this now that this veil of "the lawsuit is not happening" has been lifted from discussion of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2DUj0FQHf0 (short segment from Nick's stream with Shane Holmberg explaining Texas Defamation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqleksSTwfI (Nick giving the definition of defamation on his stream from about 1:32:56 - 2:12:00 [also talks about the potential argument that Vic is a public figure])

https://www.texaspress.com/law-a-the-me ... efenses-01 (An article that discusses the various Texas defenses in terms of Libel cases)

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Captain Awesome wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

All he said was "Welcome to the party." in response to a journalist talking about his client and case.
https://youtu.be/QgOXIEhHU1Y

Yeah, it’s a great song. He’s just sharing his favorite song. ...also she’s toast.

Btw it’s the diplo song.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm Am I seriously witnessing excuses for Ty Beard painting targets on others? Are we really doing this? How many time do we have to say this isn't okay?
Yes he just added someone else to the lawsuit. He said last night that there are more and this is only the first round.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm Am I seriously witnessing excuses for Ty Beard painting targets on others? Are we really doing this? How many do we have to say this isn't okay?
It is when they’ve painted targets on Vic by just using a fucking jelly bean.
Except Ms. Elderkin never once purported that claim in her article/tweets and these accusations stretch far beyond the stupid jelly bean thing, as we have explained to you countless times over. Need I remind you that wasn't even what led to his dismissal?

I know immensely bad-faith arguments are your forte, but this is by far your most vile. Get help.
SaiyaSith wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:46 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm Am I seriously witnessing excuses for Ty Beard painting targets on others? Are we really doing this? How many time do we have to say this isn't okay?
Yes he just added someone else to the lawsuit. He said last night that there are more and this is only the first round.
What part of "the way he did this was wrong" do you not understand? Stop being obtuse.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:26 pm
Yes and he has to prove what is said about him was false and intended to harm. That is how it works.
Ok, I've periodically been looking at the thread now and again, so let me clear up this confusion that's come up now and again of how defamation cases work (as Nick as said multiple times in his streams).

Vic is not the one who has to PROVE something, at least at the start. He is the PLANTIFF and for this first round of the case the DEFENDANTS are "FUNIMATION PRODUCTIONS, LLC, JAMIE MARCHI, MONICA RIAL, AND RONALD TOYE" as per the document filed yesterday (4/18/19) [SaiyaSith linked Nick's stream on that in their post (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzP7TdTZHq8) with the discussion of the document itself going from about 2:08:00 - 3:34:00). The DEFENDANTS are the ones who have to show that their statements about Vic are true, not Vic having to show that the statements about him are false. This is because in a defamation case the first thing the PLANTIFF (in this case Vic) has to do is, under oath, swear that the statements about them are false and have damaged them in some significant manner. After this is done, it is then assumed that the PLANTIFF is telling the truth and this makes it the burden of the DEFENDANTS to prove that their statements about the PLANTIFF are in fact truth, with the PLANTIFF able to give counter information to that.

However, Texas is interesting in how it looks at truth in terms of the law. What I mean by this is, even if what you said about the PLANTIFF IS TRUE, you can still actually lose the case. This is because Texas places just as much importance on whether those statements are actually malicious (that is, they are reasonably shown to have been done in a concentrated effort to harm the individual) in nature and if a reasonable,unrelated individual would take those statements and form a negative view of the PLANTIFF. This can be a bit confusing, but here's an article that discusses it in a manner that makes sense (https://www.boyarmiller.com/news-and-pu ... ion-claim/). To summarize it, everything you say can be TRUE, but if the overall "gist" of what you say does in fact paint a negative picture of the PLANTIFF and the PLANTIFF's side can show that it was done with actual malice, then the DEFENDANTS still lose because those statements were in fact defamatory.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just someone whose been following this and trying to expand my knowledge of the legal processes at work at the same time. Thus, I admit I could be wrong about how I presenting. Still, I believe that at least most of what I said is fairly accurate, and wanted to try and dispel some confusion over all this (as the U.S. legal system is a hell that no one whose lucky will ever have to deal with for more than very minor, quick things). In any case, I hope I helped some understand what's going on better, and am hoping for a conclusive ending for all of this now that this veil of "the lawsuit is not happening" has been lifted from discussion of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2DUj0FQHf0 (short segment from Nick's stream with Shane Holmberg explaining Texas Defamation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqleksSTwfI (Nick giving the definition of defamation on his stream from about 1:32:56 - 2:12:00 [also talks about the potential argument that Vic is a public figure])

https://www.texaspress.com/law-a-the-me ... efenses-01 (An article that discusses the various Texas defenses in terms of Libel cases)

There are plenty of articles on defamation on the web so I don’t need to click on Nick’s channel

In defamation cases: the Plantiff (that’s Vic) needs to prove the statements about him were false and intended to cause harm.

Edit: But it is true that Vic may not be considered a public figure.

WhowhoYouwho

Post by WhowhoYouwho » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 pm
There are plenty of articles on defamation on the web so I don’t need to click on Nick’s channel

In defamation cases: the Plantiff (that’s Vic) needs to prove the statements about him were false and intended to cause harm.
And this is why I gave up discussing anything in this thread, because I did what I could to give information in a concise manner to the best of my abilities and people just go "Na, I don't need to actually LOOK and RESPOND to what you say, you mentioned this thing that I don't like so I'm going to just sit in my bubble and not attempt to actually discuss anything in a constructive manner".

I feel sorry for people like SaiyaSith who get shit on constantly for daring to give an opinion the grain of this thread, because we still have that good old "wrong think" in effect that leads to utterly condescending drivel that pretends it is a response but is just a blob of nothing from people who can't argue with someone without turning towards ad hominem attack.

Yes, I know you didn't perform an ad hominem towards me in this instance. I just also had to throw that in there because this thread is a cesspool of that and it apparently isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm

And this is why I gave up discussing anything in this thread, because I did what I could to give information in a concise manner to the best of my abilities and people just go "Na, I don't need to actually LOOK and RESPOND to what you say, you mentioned this thing that I don't like so I'm going to just sit in my bubble and not attempt to actually discuss anything in a constructive manner".

I feel sorry for people like SaiyaSith who get shit on constantly for daring to give an opinion the grain of this thread, because we still have that good old "wrong think" in effect that leads to utterly condescending drivel that pretends it is a response but is just a blob of nothing from people who can't argue with someone without turning towards ad hominem attack.

Yes, I know you didn't perform an ad hominem towards me in this instance. I just also had to throw that in there because this thread is a cesspool of that and it apparently isn't going to stop anytime soon.
RIGHT!!!??? FUCKING RIGHT!!!???

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 pm

WhowhoYouwho wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Nick is a creep and I don’t want to contribute to him in anyway by clicking his links.

Google exists. There is tons of legal information online on the web. Hell there are other lawyers on YouTube who talk about the law but don’t harass others. One of my closest friends is a lawyer.

There is plenty of resources people can go to to learn about the law & defamation without clicking on anything Nick provides.

I love how your guys think that Nick is the only expert on the law out there that to prove your point you have to use him as a source. Get some better sources.
Last edited by Kinokima on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:30 pm

It kind of seems like Mignogna is destined to win this this lawsuit. How are the defendants supposed to prove that he did what he was accused of? How do you prove someone committed sexual assault or harassment?