Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:14 pmWhen scummy people are focused on pushing an agenda, they do it everywhere they can. For some it's basically a fuckin full-time job, they're looking to normalize shitty behavior in the eyes of the silent and neutral crowds to try and legitimize themselves and gain sympathy.
As if the left isn't doing the same thing.

He is talking about alt-right comic gate trolls who are a huge part of the Vic support crowd because they were looking for some big controversy to crash into the anime fandom. This is why all these idiots have ISWV and Anime Gate all over their profiles.

This has nothing to do with conservative vs liberal

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Even if we WERE talking about regular conservatives, someone saying "yeah, well the left does it too"... is basically admitting that the right is guilty, and being a right winger is bad (the only question being if being a left winger is bad, too).

Not insulting you, btw. I'm speaking as someone who has a conservative background. Just pointing out the error in your logic.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 pm

EDIT: I change my mind, I don't have any obligation to argue on the terms of someone responding to "fascism and harassment are bad and prey on lonely white boys" with "the left is exactly the same though lol".

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 am

Fionordequester wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:26 amI don't think of Kanzenshuu as a site that's very well-known, so I am curious.
You're right. Kanzenshuu, the forum at least, is pretty obscure in the 'mainstream' web.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:09 am

Forums in general are pretty obscure these days but when searching for opinions about Dragon Ball it was one of the first sites I came across.

Now I think if someone was searching for information about the Vic situation I do find this is an odd place to wind up. I wouldn’t be surprised for the posters commenting on here who have only commented about the Vic situation (and there have been a few) have created alt accounts just to do that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:05 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 pm EDIT: I change my mind, I don't have any obligation to argue on the terms of someone responding to "fascism and harassment are bad and prey on lonely white boys" with "the left is exactly the same though lol".
This is the correct thing to do, honestly.

Alt-right soundbyte-spewing can't be fought; you can explain why they're wrong and dumb, but it won't dissuade them, and spending your time arguing with them just increases their visibility, gives them the credibility of people engaging with them, etc.

Take heed of this, everyone; the alt-right have pretty much perfected the art of weaponised trolling. Don't engage with them if you don't have to, because you'll just end up walking in circles and spreading their hate by keeping their words alive.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:11 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm A transcript of a May 31st hearing is available here. Some details were shared previously, such as the judge's (hilarious) confusion over Ty Beard being a lawyer, were shared previously, but now it's all documented for the record.
That was a lot more entertaining than I expected. Particularly enjoyed the judge all but asking why the plaintiff is bothering with this lawsuit and questioning what they hope to achieve. The plaintiff's tactics seemed to hit a brick wall here. And the judge outright calls Vic a public figure, so that particular angle is out the window, I assume?

This is the hearing Li'l Nicky was making out to be some huge victory for Beardo? :lol:
The judge asking if he was on YouTube got me. Not that he didn't handle it professionally, but it's telling how prevalent the "You crazy kids and your Japanese anime/online videos!" tone was.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:05 am
Shaddy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 pm EDIT: I change my mind, I don't have any obligation to argue on the terms of someone responding to "fascism and harassment are bad and prey on lonely white boys" with "the left is exactly the same though lol".
This is the correct thing to do, honestly.

Alt-right soundbyte-spewing can't be fought; you can explain why they're wrong and dumb, but it won't dissuade them, and spending your time arguing with them just increases their visibility, gives them the credibility of people engaging with them, etc.

Take heed of this, everyone; the alt-right have pretty much perfected the art of weaponised trolling. Don't engage with them if you don't have to, because you'll just end up walking in circles and spreading their hate by keeping their words alive.
You're not wrong, it was just a weird fuckin thing to say. Like, I wasn't even specifically talking about the alt-right, just conspiracy theorists with the intent of persecuting innocent people in general. The overlap between those, the fascists, and Vic's supporters is no surprise, but to answer someone saying "so yeah those reactionary assholes are bad" with "BUT THE LEFT" (an extremely false equivalence, I might add) doesn't make you look good.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pmYou're not wrong, it was just a weird fuckin thing to say. Like, I wasn't even specifically talking about the alt-right, just conspiracy theorists with the intent of persecuting innocent people in general. The overlap between those, the fascists, and Vic's supporters is no surprise, but to answer someone saying "so yeah those reactionary assholes are bad" with "BUT THE LEFT" (an extremely false equivalence, I might add) doesn't make you look good.
Let's not forget, though, that Sintzu is ultimately on our side in regards to Vic. Besides, if his only exposure to the "left" is to our corrupt, lazy politicians, well... He'd have plenty of reasons to want to stop their growth wherever he can.

Of course, Kinokima & JulieYBM have informed me that those so-called "leftists" are actually corrupt centrists (with only Bernie being a true representation of "left")... But that's not common knowledge amongst the people I talk to in real life.

I'd ease up on him a little.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm Of course, Kinokima & JulieYBM have informed me that those so-called "leftists" are actually corrupt centrists (with only Bernie being a true representation of "left")... But that's not common knowledge amongst the people I talk to in real life.

Not to get offtopic but since you mentioned my name That was 100% not me and I never said anything close to that nor do I think that.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm

Kinokima wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 pm Not to get offtopic but since you mentioned my name That was 100% not me and I never said anything close to that nor do I think that.
Oh... Shoot. Sorry about that. I'll be more careful next time.

EDIT: Man, where DID I hear that? I know one of my real life friends compared our leftist politicians to centrists, but... was that really the one time I'd heard that?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm Let's not forget, though, that Sintzu is ultimately on our side in regards to Vic. Besides, if his only exposure to the "left" is to our corrupt, lazy politicians, well... He'd have plenty of reasons to want to stop their growth wherever he can.

Of course, Kinokima & JulieYBM have informed me that those so-called "leftists" are actually corrupt centrists (with only Bernie being a true representation of "left")... But that's not common knowledge amongst the people I talk to in real life.

Agreeing with the sane answer to the Vic issue doesn't mean one's politics or rhetoric are good, nor would treating people as if it did benefit anyone except those who rely on being accepted to spread hateful ideas. It's not like I lashed out at him for existing with conservative beliefs, he specifically responded to a comment about bigots and their tactics which at no point mentioned a political party with "the left does the same thing". Which, it doesn't. Not to any meaningful or comparable degree. Left-wing rhetoric is anti-bigotry by design. If a lefty does something racist, they're acting against the beliefs they previously purported to identify with. The far-left is not just "the alt-right, but every instance of 'black' and 'white' are swapped", like those youtube Bee movie memes from like 3 years ago.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:15 pmAgreeing with the sane answer to the Vic issue doesn't mean one's politics or rhetoric are good, nor would treating people as if it did benefit anyone except those who rely on being accepted to spread hateful ideas. It's not like I lashed out at him for existing with conservative beliefs, he specifically responded to a comment about bigots and their tactics which at no point mentioned a political party with "the left does the same thing". Which, it doesn't. Not to any meaningful or comparable degree. Left-wing rhetoric is anti-bigotry by design. If a lefty does something racist, they're acting against the beliefs they previously purported to identify with. The far-left is not just "the alt-right, but every instance of 'black' and 'white' are swapped", like those youtube Bee movie memes from like 3 years ago.
Oh, I know, don't feel bad. I thought his answer was weird, too (which is why I responded to it the way I did). But I think he gets the message now. Don't want 'em feeling like he's in trouble or anything, you know?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm

It looks like even more Vic stories are coming to light, including the fact that apparently at one point in time, con staffers even found him in bed with an underage girl and weren't allowed to do anything about it, and another where he was even stalking a seiyuu invited to the con for crying out loud.

God, the more and more stuff that comes out, the more disgusting it gets for me as a former fan of his. It's going to get harder and harder to watch some of the things he was in, and to think of something like this tainting a series I love as much as say FMA (where he's a far bigger deal than Broly)? That's incredibly saddening for me.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm It looks like even more Vic stories are coming to light, including the fact that apparently at one point in time, con staffers even found him in bed with an underage girl and weren't allowed to do anything about it, and another where he was even stalking a seiyuu invited to the con for crying out loud.

God, the more and more stuff that comes out, the more disgusting it gets for me as a former fan of his. It's going to get harder and harder to watch some of the things he was in, and to think of something like this tainting a series I love as much as say FMA (where he's a far bigger deal than Broly)? That's incredibly saddening for me.
Gee, I wonder what the IStandWithVic people are going to say about that...
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 pm Gee, I wonder what the IStandWithVic people are going to say about that...
Oh, Nick's cocky as always; or at least, pretending to be...

https://twitter.com/NJ4KMatineeThea/sta ... 3716289536

This dude is (probably) Nick's alt, and he's saying the story was old news, and that they were pathetic for trying to bring it up. Then he accidentally outs himself as being Nick using a troll account in what is presumably a drunken rant.

Class act, he is :lolno: ...

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 am

I just wish people would have been able to come out and stop Vic well before now. I know for myself January was the first I heard of his behavior but after hearing how far back these crimes go.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:26 pm It looks like even more Vic stories are coming to light, including the fact that apparently at one point in time, con staffers even found him in bed with an underage girl and weren't allowed to do anything about it, and another where he was even stalking a seiyuu invited to the con for crying out loud.

At this point they should just give up and admit he's not the person they thought he was.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 am

sintzu wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 am

At this point they should just give up and admit he's not the person they thought he was.
More likely that they'll double down.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 am
sintzu wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:14 am
More likely that they'll double down.
That's exactly what they're doing. I'm.an acquaintance of a VicStan, and every time I try to explain the situation, he keeps insisting that he chooses to give Vic the benefit of the doubt. Didn't know before of the doubt meant completely ignoring facts
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them