Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Yeah, unless someone took a video of him assaulting someone, they're always going to be crying, "buT wHEre'S thE EViDencE??" Hell, even if there were a video, they'd probably explain it away as being out of context, or some other bullshit excuse. Many people knew about his behavior for many years. I never met him or went to his panels, but I'd heard of him being a creep in the con scene since at least a decade ago. Of course false rumors can develop about people, but when you have so many accounts from different people in different places at different times, then...yeah, I don't know how else to explain to these people that that alone is pretty damning proof that it's not some wild conspiracy to take him down. When I was at Kameha Con, I personally talked to someone who'd been violated by him in the past, and though she did report it at the time, it didn't result in any action against him. It seems a lot of cons fielded reports about things he'd done, but most just took it as reason to not invite him back rather than pursue legal action. He probably knew that isolated incidents of him aggressively pressuring women to have sex (but not going as far as actually raping them) would likely not result in criminal charges. So he kept getting away with it because not everyone realized how widespread the incidents were. Now all the victims wish they had been more outspoken sooner, since he should've been taken off the con circuit years ago with all the stuff he's pulled. Yet a certain subset of fans sees it as "wahhh, Christian men are being attacked in the current year by the SJWs!!" Like...get your head out of your ass long enough to realize this has been a long time coming.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 am That's exactly what they're doing. I'm.an acquaintance of a VicStan, and every time I try to explain the situation, he keeps insisting that he chooses to give Vic the benefit of the doubt. Didn't know before of the doubt meant completely ignoring facts
For me benefit of the doubt only really applied to the very early days. It was thrown out the window for me the moment a swarm of women who didn't know each other came out with allegations that spanned a multiple-decade stretch of time.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:42 am

Some...interesting updates to the Tekko story. The convention offered a public statement regarding the unfolding controversy regarding Vic's stalking/underage "activities", which was criticized for what many saw as an attempt to wash off their hands over incidents before the current board of directors' time.
As Ms. Montello, the woman who originally brought up these accusations (it should be reminded she's former Tekko staff), elaborated on her criticism, an unexpected challenger arrived: Paul Gaudoin, Tekko's CEO who registered a new account to confront Montello with comments including these:

"That is not "fact". It is opinion. Our relationships with Uplift Together, CSSN, and PAAR would say otherwise. Again, if you are interested in more than your 15 minutes of fame, you can contact me directly to see what else Tekko can do to improve staff and attendee safety."

While he's since apologized for the "fame" comment, he continues echoing the claim the board possesses little to no relevant information prior to 2013. Regardless of whether that's true, *Montello's sources claim Vic's 2018 appearance wasn't as squeaky-clean as Tekko may have you believe. (Not to mention the matter of this recent email, where she warned them of Vic before this year's con).

*I know how the usual suspects will respond to this, but at least bear in mind that just because apparently no Vic incidents were reported last year doesn't necessarily mean nothing happened.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 pm

How can so many people in positions of power and visibility like that be so stupefyingly dumb when it comes to public discourse of that nature?

How do you make the statements that he made without regard to the context/perception and the intentions conveyed?

Obviously the answer is that he legitimately doesn't think anything's amiss.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong but Tekko's CEO that took over in 2013 is telling Ms. Montello she is only in this for her 10 mins of fame even though Tekko themselves say that this new regime had no idea what happened at their cons before they took over?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:56 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:58 pm Please correct me if I'm wrong but Tekko's CEO that took over in 2013 is telling Ms. Montello she is only in this for her 10 mins of fame even though Tekko themselves say that this new regime had no idea what happened at their cons before they took over?
Well, I just went and pointed that out to them. Thanks for the thought, Miguel!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 pm

A hope I'm not making light of the situation by asking this but has Funimation found a replacement for Vic?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 pm A hope I'm not making light of the situation by asking this but has Funimation found a replacement for Vic?
I don't doubt they've had to think about who might replace his roles in the work they do, but at the moment we're in a bit of a hiatus in Dragon Ball content so they haven't had to commit to specific individuals for them. I'd imagine if Super starts up and has Broly appear early on as a nod to the end of the movie they'd lock it down.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm

Welp, that escalated. Ms. Montello also gets into her experience with Vic here.
Big Black Saiyan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 pm A hope I'm not making light of the situation by asking this but has Funimation found a replacement for Vic?
Rumors have been swirling around Bryce Pappenbrook, but I don't think that's confirmed.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:44 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm Welp, that escalated.
You're gonna have to explain this one for me because I don't really understand the context or situation there.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 am

Bryce Papenbrook would be almost as bad, from a pure acting standpoint. Guy's in fuckin everything, sounds the same almost every single time, and his delivery is just...really weird, usually. I don't like him.

I'd still say they should get someone everyone already knows and likes as much as or more than Vic to replace him, like Steve Blum or Troy Baker or something (or hell, another bigger name actor like James Marsters as Zamasu), who both could handle the inevitable harassment from Vic's stans, and act as a walking defense to them by being as comparably famous and known as they are, ie a "you can't hate him just for replacing Vic! He's <VA name here>!". As much as I want to see more no-name or up-and-coming VAs in Dragon Ball (ToP is doing a great job for that), Vic's basically screwed over any potential young talent by causing this whole ruckus.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 am As much as I want to see more no-name or up-and-coming VAs in Dragon Ball (ToP is doing a great job for that), Vic's basically screwed over any potential young talent by causing this whole ruckus.
And that's why the Magic 8 Ball says Christopher Sabat! :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:58 am

Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 am Bryce Papenbrook would be almost as bad, from a pure acting standpoint. Guy's in fuckin everything, sounds the same almost every single time, and his delivery is just...really weird, usually. I don't like him.

I'd still say they should get someone everyone already knows and likes as much as or more than Vic to replace him, like Steve Blum or Troy Baker or something (or hell, another bigger name actor like James Marsters as Zamasu), who both could handle the inevitable harassment from Vic's stans, and act as a walking defense to them by being as comparably famous and known as they are, ie a "you can't hate him just for replacing Vic! He's <VA name here>!". As much as I want to see more no-name or up-and-coming VAs in Dragon Ball (ToP is doing a great job for that), Vic's basically screwed over any potential young talent by causing this whole ruckus.
Unfortunately, I feel like even if they went with someone insanely famous, even just by anime dub standards, they'd probably still get a ton of hatred flung their way. There are Vic fans out there who want Schemmel and Sabat removed from the dub now, or even for FUNi to lose the entire license, just over this. They'd rather see every single other voice replaced and Vic kept as Broly, then just Broly replaced, because he's "that integral to the Dragon Ball experience". That's the level of delusion we're dealing with here sadly. Hopefully whoever they do get is well aware of the minefield they're about to step into.

As far as Bryce goes, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. I know he can at least pull off the screams, based on Attack on Titan, but beyond that...ehh. We'll probably know soon enough though, since I'm still betting our first taste of Broly's new voice will come when FighterZ adds him in.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:46 am

I never stopped to consider the inevitable harassment Broly's new VA will endure...hopefully it'll just be a vocal minority.
KBABZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:44 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm Welp, that escalated.
You're gonna have to explain this one for me because I don't really understand the context or situation there.
Remember how the Tekko CEO flipped out on Twitter when Montello called out the con? He finally responded to her emails only to go on self-pity rants. Note his irrational fears over a lawsuit/"internet lynchings".

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:46 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:58 am
Shaddy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 am Bryce Papenbrook would be almost as bad, from a pure acting standpoint. Guy's in fuckin everything, sounds the same almost every single time, and his delivery is just...really weird, usually. I don't like him.

Unfortunately, I feel like even if they went with someone insanely famous, even just by anime dub standards, they'd probably still get a ton of hatred flung their way. There are Vic fans out there who want Schemmel and Sabat removed from the dub now, or even for FUNi to lose the entire license, just over this. They'd rather see every single other voice replaced and Vic kept as Broly, then just Broly replaced, because he's "that integral to the Dragon Ball experience". That's the level of delusion we're dealing with here sadly. Hopefully whoever they do get is well aware of the minefield they're about to step into.

As far as Bryce goes, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. I know he can at least pull off the screams, based on Attack on Titan, but beyond that...ehh. We'll probably know soon enough though, since I'm still betting our first taste of Broly's new voice will come when FighterZ adds him in.
You are right. I’ve seen a lot of them attack Sabat and Schemmel over this because they dare speak out against Vic . The crazy knows no limits it seems

Not sure who I’d think would be a good Broly. Personally I thought Vic was miscast to start with and that’s not even counting this whole controversy.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 am

Putting outside the controversy and the actual issue aside I’m at a loss for what’s s special and unique about Mignogna’s Broly? It’s not especially god awful but it’s fairly generic. Is there any particular reason to like it other than “Vic voiced another anime dude I really liked or Vic was nice to me at a con and signed me his autograph on my DBZ movie 8 DVD :)

For whatever crap I give Nadolny and Young for their roles they were at least distinctive enough (not for good reason) that I can at least put my bias aside and sort of understand why fans might be attached to those voices and miss them.

Mignogna’s Broly? It’s generic as hell.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:31 am That's exactly what they're doing. I'm.an acquaintance of a VicStan, and every time I try to explain the situation, he keeps insisting that he chooses to give Vic the benefit of the doubt. Didn't know before of the doubt meant completely ignoring facts
For me benefit of the doubt only really applied to the very early days. It was thrown out the window for me the moment a swarm of women who didn't know each other came out with allegations that spanned a multiple-decade stretch of time.
Yep - there's way too much evidence over way too much time to reasonably believe he's an innocent baby lamb. And it's too late, and too much has come out, for anyone to claim ignorance. The hardcore VicStans don't care if he's innocent or not - they're on his side no matter what, because it gives them a cause to attack the people they hate. The minute I saw them pile on, gleefully mocking Doucette (one of many lawyers who've been ripping Vic's case to shreds) for having once been homeless and needing a CPAP machine really settled things. It's just spite and cruelty, that's it. A bunch of "nerds" who learned all the wrong lessons and became the bullies.

This is why I won't entertain any "both sides" narrative on this issue. Putting individual pieces of rhetoric and behaviour aside, one side is ultimately trying to listen to victims, get some kind of justice, and protect other industry workers and con attendees - many of the latter being underage girls. What's the other side doing? Protecting a well-off, successful man who has an absolute ton of allegations and evidence pointing at him being a predator? With many having the "bonus" of being egged on (at least partially) by socially/politically-motivated resentment?

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 am Putting outside the controversy and the actual issue aside I’m at a loss for what’s s special and unique about Mignogna’s Broly? It’s not especially god awful but it’s fairly generic. Is there any particular reason to like it other than “Vic voiced another anime dude I really liked or Vic was nice to me at a con and signed me his autograph on my DBZ movie 8 DVD :)

For whatever crap I give Nadolny and Young for their roles they were at least distinctive enough (not for good reason) that I can at least put my bias aside and sort of understand why fans might be attached to those voices and miss them.

Absolutely. That's what's so weird about the cult surrounding him around that role in particular. Mumble-talk and then scream a bunch? Almost any working VA could do that better. Hell, if it weren't for his inexplicable fanbase, I doubt anyone would even notice he was replaced.
Last edited by Bryesque on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 am Putting outside the controversy and the actual issue aside I’m at a loss for what’s s special and unique about Mignogna’s Broly? It’s not especially god awful but it’s fairly generic. Is there any particular reason to like it other than “Vic voiced another anime dude I really liked or Vic was nice to me at a con and signed me his autograph on my DBZ movie 8 DVD :)

yeah i assumed it was his other dub roles people loved him for, but i guess it's not too shocking considering how much people love broil. still, i never thought that so many people would act like it's a essential, irreplaceable performance.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 am

This is really an excellent opportunity to recast Broly with a trans POC

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:44 pm

I think a (small) part of it is how popular Broly is in the west. BIG SMASH MAN came at just the right time in many peoples' childhoods to be their escapist fantasy. They could imagine themselves as Broly and all their problems seemed insignificant.
Some of them didn't grow up, it seems. :lol:
Of course there's also the fangirls who love Edward Elric.

Speaking of which, Edward Elric is the only other role I knew of Vic's until Rohan from JoJo part 4. People are selling him like he's voiced every character known to humanity.