Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:16 pm Agonizing over whether or not it's naivete vs. malice is ultimately irrelevant when he refuses to stop after very obviously being made aware of the negative impact of his behavior. He's hurting people and this needs to be done.
And that's the crux of it. He was given more than enough time for self-improvement, and he threw it away. Now we can let cold, hard reality be his teacher.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I just heard that video evidence came out proving Kara Edwards is lying and now Monica's witness for her assault said it never happen.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:54 pm I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I just heard that video evidence came out proving Kara Edwards is lying and now Monica's witness for her assault said it never happen.
That is old news.

But after all the things I've discovered in the past month, no one in that whole ordeal has "clean" hands. I think Vic is innocent in this case, but no one just accuses someone for no reason. Something must've happened in the past for them to start the weirdness.

At this point I'm forcing myself to separate the talent from the products they provide. Unless they're 100% guilty, in which case, they need to go.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:54 pm I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I just heard that video evidence came out proving Kara Edwards is lying and now Monica's witness for her assault said it never happen.
Nope. Both of these claims are completely twisting facts.

In her affidavit, Kara mentioned that before the first time Vic tried to get her to come to his room, they'd been on a few panels together, and at one of them there was a moment where he pulled her close in a dance move. Which she said after the fact, not when it happened that she found off putting, since she realized it was one of the first moves he was trying to make on her (at that point, she also thought he was gay, so had no reason to believe he was hitting on her).

So people found a video of that panel, and started picking it apart: she initiated the dance! she looked like she was having fun! etc. etc. ...which, in absolutely zero sense invalidates what occurred after. They made it out to where she was claiming the dance itself was assault (which she never did, it was the incidents at hotels at two different cons). So in the minds of ISWV, this somehow invalidates her entire account :roll:

As for Monica, she never said that the con owner witnessed her assault; he knocked on the door, which kept it from going further, and she thought he noticed her distress when he came in. By his account, he knocked on the door, retrieved them, and went on with the evening, not noticing anything unusual. She never claimed that she told him, or that he was in the room to see any of it. All he saw was that the two of them were in the room together, and he didn't realize anything had happened. Which in no way disproves what happened to Monica, it just means there wasn't a witness.

Wow, with these two accounts, plus the one with the twins and others, it's almost like Vic specifically isolates women when he does this so no one can back up what they're saying. He's got 30+ fucking years experience, so of course he knows how to not get caught. And to also push the narrative of "anyone who says I was inappropriate is lying for attention!", so when women inevitably did come forward, he knew that fans would back him and not the victims.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am

I've also seen people now passing around the claim that Monica admits in her deposition that "she was always jealous of Vic's popularity", and thus "that's why I decided to ruin him" or some BS. Does anyone have a citation of exactly where they're pulling that crap from? I ask only because I'd like to know exactly where and what they're twisting this time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

So to sum up Sailorspazz:

1) Kara Edward's never complained about the dance. She was traumatized by what happened AFTER the dance.

2) Monica's witness didn't say anything one way or the other. Monica tried to hide her distress from him, and succeeded. That just means he wasn't as observant as Monica thought he was.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 pm I think Vic is innocent in this case, but no one just accuses someone for no reason. Something must've happened in the past for them to start the weirdness.
Read back what you wrote there. Aloud to yourself. A couple times if need be.

Please report back when done.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 am

By the way, it's worth pointing out Stan Dahlin's affidavit was never filed -- Rekieta just waved it around on one of his streams.

Anyway, here's some dark comedy on Greg Doucette apparently inspiring domestic terrorism.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am I've also seen people now passing around the claim that Monica admits in her deposition that "she was always jealous of Vic's popularity", and thus "that's why I decided to ruin him" or some BS. Does anyone have a citation of exactly where they're pulling that crap from? I ask only because I'd like to know exactly where and what they're twisting this time.
I believe I read Monica's deposition mentioned something about his credentials and Vic stans apparently leapt on that? Even if "omg they're just jealous!!" has been a talking point since this fiasco's beginning, I'd like to know as well; I never dived too deep into her deposition.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 am

Excuse me for not following with the situation and for posting this message if it disrupts your discussion, but hasn't anything happened ever since the whole thing started?

I mean, this could go on for years, given how the judiciary usually works. This might as well be forgotten in time, but as I am not keeping up with the current situation, I can't say for sure. Any info would be helpful, so I can inform people myself who simply say "beta male Sean, I stand with vic" or "vic deserves 20 years jail"

I am asking basic things, which have taken much time to be set in stone, but this discussion is rather overwhelming with all the different opinions to follow.
P O W E R

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 am Excuse me for not following with the situation and for posting this message if it disrupts your discussion, but hasn't anything happened ever since the whole thing started?

I mean, this could go on for years, given how the judiciary usually works. This might as well be forgotten in time, but as I am not keeping up with the current situation, I can't say for sure. Any info would be helpful, so I can inform people myself who simply say "beta male Sean, I stand with vic" or "vic deserves 20 years jail"

I am asking basic things, which have taken much time to be set in stone, but this discussion is rather overwhelming with all the different opinions to follow.
If you're asking for factual breakdowns of the case, then I recommend Anime News Network's summaries of the various allegations/investigations involved, as well as this new Dallas News article. As always, don't read the comments.

It's worth pointing out that while appeals could potentially drag out the case, the recent extension will discourage one on the grounds of inadequate time to review information. It's also worth reminding that as Vic's the plaintiff, he has to link FUNi and co. to reputational damages via defamation and con cancellations and whatnot; unfortunately for him, his deposition not only failed to prove any such thing, but he also admitted to various allegations (pulling Marchi's hair, for instance. While pro-Vic propaganda points to various "holes" in the defendants' testimonies, that means little to nothing considering he doesn't have a case.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:54 am
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:13 am Excuse me for not following with the situation and for posting this message if it disrupts your discussion, but hasn't anything happened ever since the whole thing started?

If you're asking for factual breakdowns of the case, then I recommend Anime News Network's summaries of the various allegations/investigations involved, as well as this new Dallas News article. As always, don't read the comments.

It's worth pointing out that while appeals could potentially drag out the case, the recent extension will discourage one on the grounds of inadequate time to review information. It's also worth reminding that as Vic's the plaintiff, he has to link FUNi and co. to reputational damages via defamation and con cancellations and whatnot; unfortunately for him, his deposition not only failed to prove any such thing, but he also admitted to various allegations (pulling Marchi's hair, for instance. While pro-Vic propaganda points to various "holes" in the defendants' testimonies, that means little to nothing considering he doesn't have a case.
I will most definitely check these sources myself! Thank you for informing me. I think that I should get an update on the matter given how I initially wanted to be aware of the whole thing.
P O W E R

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 am
DarkPrince_92 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 pm I think Vic is innocent in this case, but no one just accuses someone for no reason. Something must've happened in the past for them to start the weirdness.
Read back what you wrote there. Aloud to yourself. A couple times if need be.

Please report back when done.
I see what you did there Mike.

I don't remember specifically what I saw online about past accusations, even before the Kara Edwards case (if I can dig it back up I'll source it), but it was along the lines of him "scouting" young female convention participants.

In this case specifically based on what I've been following, in my opinion, Vic should be fine.

Clarity? Or do I still sound crazy?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm In this case specifically based on what I've been following, in my opinion, Vic should be fine.

Not crazy, just willfully blind

Vic admitted he got a fistful of Marchi's hair and pulled her towards him to whisper in her ear. It's pretty hard to spin that one mate.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm
DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm In this case specifically based on what I've been following, in my opinion, Vic should be fine.

Vic admitted he got a fistful of Marchi's hair and pulled her towards him to whisper in her ear. It's pretty hard to spin that one mate.
I don't have an issue being wrong. I've only seen or heard what I've seen or heard. I only see updates on the case here and there.

And to the last part, that's insane. And all the Pro-Vic on YouTube makes that hard to find. That's the first time I heard that one.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:49 pm

I don't have an issue being wrong. I've only seen or heard what I've seen or heard. I only see updates on the case here and there.

And to the last part, that's insane. And all the Pro-Vic on YouTube makes that hard to find. That's the first time I heard that one.
I think your first mistake was expecting to get news from Youtube.

You're right though, that isn't wilful blindness - just naivete bordering on stupidity. I know that sounds harsh but you have no idea how frustrating it is to see people like yourself drop into this thread shooting from the hip only to later admit that your research begins and ends with the top results on Youtube.

If you want to opine on something, maybe your due diligence should at the very least extend to reading something.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 pm
I think your first mistake was expecting to get news from Youtube.

You're right though, that isn't wilful blindness - just naivete bordering on stupidity. I know that sounds harsh but you have no idea how frustrating it is to see people like yourself drop into this thread shooting from the hip only to later admit that your research begins and ends with the top results on Youtube.

If you want to opine on something, maybe your due diligence should at the very least extend to reading something.
Point taken.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 pm

In addition to that, his responses to allegations and his deposition also have him:
Admitting that he did try to sleep with Kara (but he painted it as an encounter where they were drinking wine and consensually kissing)
Admitting to kissing a cosplayer after they shared dinner (she said it was sudden and aggressive, he says it was mutual and consensual)
Admitting to inviting a pair of cosplayer twins to his room for the purpose of having sex with them (their affidavits of the incident are pretty disturbing)
Admitting to hiring sex workers
Admitting to cheating on his fiancee multiple times (pretty much every story that's come out has taken place during his relationship. And in many of the cases where the women tried to rebuff him based on his relationship, he often told them that she didn't matter)

Those are just some of the "highlights"; there's probably even more that the ISWV side is trying to downplay tremendously in order to keep attacking the victims and their supporters. There are some accounts that he's outright denied (including Monica's), but most things he has actually admitted to, but has been playing them down. At some point, isn't it time to call bullshit on the guy who keeps saying, "it wasn't that bad", and believe all those saying, "no, it really was that bad"?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Men randomly touching women in sexual ways is wrong and the fact that a bunch of folks on the internet cannot see that is deeply disturbing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 pm

While I can't blame folks for being overwhelmed on where to research (especially considering bad-faith sites like BoundingIntoComics frequently populate Google with pro-Vic articles), it goes without saying YouTube is the absolute last place anyone should cite research given all the reactionary propaganda circulating there.

Again, the two links I provided are handy breakdowns with little to no commentary. As far as Vic's admissions go, the ANN articles are the best place to start.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 am

Alright, so I know about two con interruptions, one with Marchi and the other with Sabat. I heard there was a third one, but I don't have the time to look for it, as I'm a busy man, so if anyone can find the very first one, that'd be great!

Icky-Vicky Dicknogna. Nice ring to it!
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.