Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:07 pm That's not even getting into how there's no evidence of him being a "wife beater". Or that the case in question was dismissed. Or that, in the end, this has nothing to do with Vic's case.
Oh I'm aware and agree 100% (especially on the last bit). I was just pointing out the wanton hypocrisy of a lot of Vic's defenders in how they've been taking to this last bit of news.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pm

What is this thing with Toye about? Something about his ex-wife filing a restraining order?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm

excelhedge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Well it's not like it's hard to match Vic's voice for Broly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they've used sound a like for Broly before
Nope, Vic reprised his role for every single one of the games, even those with less voicework. That being said, I agree it'd be pretty easy to find someone else for the role.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:51 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pm What is this thing with Toye about? Something about his ex-wife filing a restraining order?
Basically, someone shared a pic of what's supposedly an affidavit from Ron's ex-wife, claiming he threatened to chop up the dogs, threatened to kill her, and even threatened to kill the judge.
There's no case number, however; it's just a zoomed in pic.

In any case, #ISWV is trying to use it as a "gotcha" moment in exposing KickVic's "hypocrisy". This is ignoring several key facts:

‐----‐--------------------

1) The case was looked into, dealt with, and dismissed.

2) This is ONE accusation against a private figure, from an ex-wife with every reason to want to screw Ron... as opposed to the 30+ witnesses who've accused Vic the public figure. Most of them are completely unconnected, with no clear reason as to why they'd want to make him suffer, unless they were telling the truth.

3) It still has nothing to do with Vic's case.

‐----‐--------------------

The whole thing smacks of desperation. So much so, I think even a lot of Vic's supporters are jumping ship (judging by the graph).
Last edited by Fionordequester on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:51 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pm What is this thing with Toye about? Something about his ex-wife filing a restraining order?
Basically, someone shared a pic of what's supposedly an affidavit from Ron's ex-wife, claiming he threatened to chop up the dogs, threatened to kill her, and even threatened to kill the judge.
There's no case number, however; it's just a zoomed in pic.

In any case, #ISWV is trying to use it as a "gotcha" moment in exposing KickVic's hypocrisy. This is ignoring several key facts, like...

1) The case was dismissed.

2) This is ONE accusation against a private figure, from a woman with every reason to want to screw Ron... as opposed to the 30+ witnesses who've accused Vic the public figure, most of whom are completely unconnected, with no clear reason as to why they'd want to make him suffer, unless they were telling the truth.

3) It still has nothing to do with Vic's case.
So, these people are trying to fight back against what they believe is an innocent man being libeled by potentially libeling a man they don’t like?

Also, if Toye threatened to kill his ex-wife and a judge, it seems like he should’ve gone to jail for that. Law enforcement doesn’t take that stuff lightly, especially when it’s against a public official.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pmSo, these people are trying to fight back against what they believe is an innocent man being libeled by potentially libeling a man they don’t like?

Also, if Toye threatened to kill his ex-wife and a judge, it seems like he should’ve gone to jail for that. Law enforcement doesn’t take that stuff lightly, especially when it’s against a public official.
It would seem so. Honestly, even I think it's pathetic... and I'm someone who's been trying to represent KickVic's softer side.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am
8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am I've heard the rumors about Bryce Papenbrook as Broly. Meh, I doubt that he has the range to pull off Broly. Not to mention that I find him to be just as overrated as Johnny Yong Bosch.
Broly ‘s character requires 0 range. There was jothinf special about Vic Lasagna’s take.
Of course there wasn't anything special about Mignogna's take, but at the same time, I can't imagine Papenbrook working well at all.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:12 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 pm Of course there wasn't anything special about Mignogna's take, but at the same time, I can't imagine Papenbrook working well at all.
Well hey. At least there won't be any more accusations of Chris wanting to take Vic's job?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:02 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 pmSo, these people are trying to fight back against what they believe is an innocent man being libeled by potentially libeling a man they don’t like?

It would seem so. Honestly, even I think it's pathetic... and I'm someone who's been trying to represent KickVic's softer side.
I know Mignogna can’t be held accountable for every little thing his supporters do, but he’d probably do himself a favor by calling out the supporters of his who pull stunts like that. Defending him and accusing the KickVic side of lying is one thing, but pulling the very tactics they’re accusing KickVic of doing? What is that supposed to accomplish? It’s not like that clears Mignogna of anything, especially when Toye wasn’t even the one making the allegations against him. They’re just opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:34 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm I know Mignogna can’t be held accountable for every little thing his supporters do, but he’d probably do himself a favor by calling out the supporters of his who pull stunts like that. Defending him and accusing the KickVic side of lying is one thing, but pulling the very tactics they’re accusing KickVic of doing? What is that supposed to accomplish? It’s not like that clears Mignogna of anything, especially when Toye wasn’t even the one making the allegations against him. They’re just opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - at this point, Vic is either one of the most oblivious men on Earth (and that's certainly an angle he and/or his lawyer have tried to play up at various points in this debacle), or he's gleefully watching the world burn around him. It's entirely possible it's a bit of both. He might actually think that, somehow or another, this will get him his jobs back if he wins (it won't), but honestly, at the point we've reached, where he's had more than ample time to see how Rekieta and his lawyer have made him look? I think it's almost definitely a case of the latter. He just wants to hurt as many of the people who unmasked him before he's tossed aside entirely and only remembered when new products featuring characters that were once his come out.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:34 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm I know Mignogna can’t be held accountable for every little thing his supporters do, but he’d probably do himself a favor by calling out the supporters of his who pull stunts like that. Defending him and accusing the KickVic side of lying is one thing, but pulling the very tactics they’re accusing KickVic of doing? What is that supposed to accomplish? It’s not like that clears Mignogna of anything, especially when Toye wasn’t even the one making the allegations against him. They’re just opening themselves up to a potential lawsuit.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - at this point, Vic is either one of the most oblivious men on Earth (and that's certainly an angle he and/or his lawyer have tried to play up at various points in this debacle), or he's gleefully watching the world burn around him. It's entirely possible it's a bit of both. He might actually think that, somehow or another, this will get him his jobs back if he wins (it won't), but honestly, at the point we've reached, where he's had more than ample time to see how Rekieta and his lawyer have made him look? I think it's almost definitely a case of the latter. He just wants to hurt as many of the people who unmasked him before he's tossed aside entirely and only remembered when new products featuring characters that were once his come out.
The sad thing is that I was actually somewhat inclined to feel sorry for him at first, as my comments from the early days of this thread have indicated. Seeing how absolutely fanatical his supporters are has done a lot to push me away.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Why would someone feel sorry for a guy that has been known for inappropriate behavior for about more than 20 years? The more logical thing to do is feel sorry for the people that suffered harassment from that man that have no reason to lie about him.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Schemmel as a person, I'd rather take a bullet for him than Mignogna.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:45 pm

Wow, another filing, this time on FUNi's behalf. Maybe we'll see one for Jamie? (Edit: Maybe not.)

Regardless, that ending is, uh, something.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm Why would someone feel sorry for a guy that has been known for inappropriate behavior for about more than 20 years? The more logical thing to do is feel sorry for the people that suffered harassment from that man that have no reason to lie about him.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Schemmel as a person, I'd rather take a bullet for him than Mignogna.
At the time, I was inclined to think that the allegations were being exaggerated, and that the guy was simply unaware that he made people uncomfortable. He also seemed to avoid displaying any public hostility, which, in all honesty, is something that Rial, Marchi and Toye could’ve used some work on. I guess you could say I was basically playing Devil’s Advocate. It didn’t help that I was absolutely sick of hearing about sexual harassment/assault in the news.

Besides, despite the fact that I had known his name for about 15 years, I wasn’t familiar with the rumors of him being a creep for the longest time. The only thing I really knew about him was that he was the voice of Broly and the main character of FMA, that he’s a good singer, and that he did some videos with LittleKuriboh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:01 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:44 pm The sad thing is that I was actually somewhat inclined to feel sorry for him at first, as my comments from the early days of this thread have indicated. Seeing how absolutely fanatical his supporters are has done a lot to push me away.
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. My very first post in this thread was pro-Vic as well. At the start of this whole debacle, before Rial and Marchi came out about what happened to them, before all of the stories started to collect and not go away, I was also a nay-sayer. I thought, "Oh man, here we go, another round of people saying Vic's a terrible person without any actual proof, and it'll all fade away again in like a week, like it always does." But as we know, that didn't happen. It only ended up going further and further, to the point now that I struggle to see how anyone can't see what's really happened. But, again, I myself was on the other side of this (though only in opinion, not one of the "rallied crowd" out there tormenting the victims) up until other actors started to talk about it, so I'm probably the last person who should judge them - at least, those who aren't being abusive anyway.

We all make mistakes in who we place our trust in and support. The important thing is to own up to those mistakes, learn from them, and move forward.
Twitter

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:44 pm

sailorspazz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:00 pm An interesting graphic has been floating around the last couple days, showing the progress of the Go Fund Me account...

...as in, it's slowed down considerably in the last month. Of course, it could mean many things, including that a campaign losing steam is to be expected after several months, or that the children supporting it have simply run out of allowance money :lol: Though I'd like to think it's the fact that more and more people are realizing this is a lost cause, and they don't want to throw in money that's inevitably going to wind paying the legal team for the "filthy backstabbers" they so loathe.
Could also be that the GFM has his the ceiling regarding who is willing to donate money for it and there's literally nobody left!

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:38 am

So with the funimation leaks coming out that entire company looks like a shit show right now. I'm scared now that Vic and Monica will settle out of court and the only thing to come of this will be no more dubbed Dragonball.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 am

I'm having trouble getting any of the audio of these "leaks" to play, but irregardless of how bad they are, I don't think it's going to affect anything like that. Actors have always riffed, often incredibly inappropriately, on the material they work on. It's the nature of the beast. A lot of it ends up in outtakes or gag reels sometimes, but even then, a majority of it is not meant for public consumption. Hell, even the late, great Wayne Allwine, voice of Mickey Mouse for decades would apparently make off-color jokes while recording for the character sometimes. In a few of his Talking Toons podcasts, Rob Paulsen brings up a particular incident where they were recording for a series, and a line comes up for Bill Farmer (Goofy) to go "Gawrsh Daisy, will you blow on my boo-boo?", prompting Allwine to get a manic glint in his eye and respond something to the effect of "Come blow mine too Daisy, oh-ho!".

My point is, these things happen. Someone telling an incredibly off-color joke while working on a project is not new, and it's not particularly "shocking" or "ground-breaking", no matter how much Rekieta and his ilk want you to think it is.

The bigger question here is how they got such audio, when it's something that would have been kept on FUNi's servers I'd imagine, or at least Sabat's private computers. I'd imagine this involves some sort of hacking, likely on the part of KiwiFarms. THAT'S the part we should be appalled by here.
Twitter

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:03 am

"Funimation are hypocrites"
Imagine being so detached from reality or human interaction that you'd equate unreleased outtakes with physical sexual harassment of co-workers.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:06 am

LostTimeLord wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:03 am "Funimation are hypocrites"
Imagine being so detached from reality or human interaction that you'd equate unreleased outtakes with physical sexual harassment of co-workers.
I refuse. Mostly on account that I'm not limber enough to get my head anywhere near that far up my own ass.
Twitter