Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:56 pm

...Besides, consider Sciggs. Was he not pretty ardently on #IStandWithVic? Did he not eventually turn around to our side? I'm pretty certain he did, during his latest posts.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:58 am

A quick reminder as to why Chuck isn't to be trusted:

This was posted to me in response to me saying Chuck supported Marchi in February...

Your guess is as good as mine as to how this helps his credibility.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:01 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm You know what's funny? I recall an old ED article once calling him 'Vic Mangina' and mocking him a lot, but now the whole 4chan/ED crowd is behind him.
ED = Encyclopedia Drammatica? That old, now-defunct, perverted website? :lol:

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 am

Fionordequester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:58 am A quick reminder as to why Chuck isn't to be trusted:

This was posted to me in response to me saying Chuck supported Marchi in February...

Your guess is as good as mine as to how this helps his credibility.
I know he said the whole "My friend Jamie is brave and truthful" thing back then, which...was when she came forward.

Regardless, I'm very curious on how FUNi will deal with him moving forward. Ironic his paranoia had him believe Sabat would ruin his career when he's made a compelling case all on his own. He's clearly become a liability.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 am

I don't understand what his deal is. How he can say what he says without realizing how damaging it is to him & Vic. Like there's a disconnect from reality in some crucial way.

I wish him the best, and I hope they can reconcile in some way, even if just to avoid claims of "Chris Sabat has a hate boner for him", but... Yeah, I'm curious, too.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:51 pm

I haven't bothered with dubs for quite some time, but Funimation seems to have a voice actor in their talent pool who sounds similar to Huber if they recast him as 17.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Like Vic, I don't think Huber has much special about his performance (though he is better than Vic) such that I'd rather see them use a soundalike than just getting a really good VA regardless of their similarity to Huber. After all, Huber doesn't exactly sound like Nakahara...at all.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm

I think Huber's voice fits 17 very well, so it's sad to possibly see him go, but...them's the breaks.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Chuck Huber is great as #17. Even back when he first started voicing the character, he did a pretty good job. Plus, he and Meredith McCoy as #18 work pretty well off each other. It would be weird for him to stop voicing the character for FUNimation after 20 years. Then again, it’ll also be pretty weird hearing someone other than Vic Mignogna as Broly for FUNimation.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 pm

I personally dig Huber's 17/Pilaf -- the latter particularly because you can tell he's having a ball voicing such a dorky villain -- but supposing he gets the boot, I'm more than open to other takes on those roles.
Fionordequester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 amI wish him the best, and I hope they can reconcile in some way, even if just to avoid claims of "Chris Sabat has a hate boner for him", but... Yeah, I'm curious, too.
I wish it were that easy, but participating in a frivolous SLAPP suit against your contractor (which, by association, means you're okay working with vile alt-right lawyers who've propagated a misogynist harassment campaign) all the while raising unsubstantiated character attacks on your colleagues isn't just something you can take back. Why keep someone like him around?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:19 pm I think Huber's voice fits 17 very well, so it's sad to possibly see him go, but...them's the breaks.
i like it too, but it's also like, not a super unique or distinctive performance, so i don't think they would have much trouble finding a replacement too sound alike or whatever.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm

I dunno, Chuck Huber does have a pretty distinctive voice in contrast to someone like Jeremy Inman, John Burgmeier and Phil Parsons.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:14 pm I dunno, Chuck Huber does have a pretty distinctive voice in contrast to someone like Jeremy Inman, John Burgmeier and Phil Parsons.
though that's true, he also has a vocal doppleganger at Funi in Kent Williams, hence why they're almost always cast as brothers
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 pm I personally dig Huber's 17/Pilaf -- the latter particularly because you can tell he's having a ball voicing such a dorky villain -- but supposing he gets the boot, I'm more than open to other takes on those roles.
Fionordequester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:35 amI wish him the best, and I hope they can reconcile in some way, even if just to avoid claims of "Chris Sabat has a hate boner for him", but... Yeah, I'm curious, too.
I wish it were that easy, but participating in a frivolous SLAPP suit against your contractor (which, by association, means you're okay working with vile alt-right lawyers who've propagated a misogynist harassment campaign) all the while raising unsubstantiated character attacks on your colleagues isn't just something you can take back. Why keep someone like him around?
Greg Ayres would make for an awesome Pilaf since he can sound like Shigeru Chiba.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
Making divisive political observations isn’t going to endear anyone you disagree with to your point of view. The disgraceful stunt that was pulled against Justice Kavenaugh and other false sexual assault allegations have unfortunately put the real victims of these egregious crimes in a rock and a hard place. That’s the world we live in. I believe in due process and the notion of innocent-until-proven-guilty. Admittedly, I was at first skeptical of the Vic Mignogna allegations. After seeing this all play out, I’ve come to accept that many of the accusations likely are true. My initial skepticism wasn’t because of some right-wing conspiracy I imagined or prescribed to on the Internet. It’s just that I could see how an older, touchy-feely kind of guy like Vic could inadvertently make some people uncomfortable, especially in today’s age. I needed some extra convincing that Vic truly did do outright creepy things that he should have known better not to do.

For that matter, I still don’t know with 100% certainty that Vic is a pedophilic sleaze-ball, and I frankly don’t ever lose any sleep over it. If there’s substantive evidence that he’s a liability then I can’t fault FUNimation or other companies for turning him down for roles. That’s not to say that I can’t enjoy Vic’s previous work, however. He’s a terrific voice actor and his performance as Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist is one of my favorite of any anime dub. So many people in Hollywood and the entertainment industry have done far worse than Vic is even accused of doing. When it comes to entertainment, sometimes you have to turn your brain off and enjoy the show. I don’t mean we shouldn’t hold people accountable or judge unacceptable behavior in pop culture—just saying that we can appreciate their work. And whenever you’re dealing with artists and performers, you’ll always have to deal with people who are fans of their work being in denial when they’re accused of wrongdoing.

Also, as long as no one is insulting you or calling you stupid for your opinion, no matter which side of the fence you’re on, perhaps you should stop caring so much about what they think? If you think Vic is a saint, you’re probably very misguided, but that’s you. Just don’t get hyper defensive and lash out at those who’ve looked at the evidence and decided otherwise. Conversely, if you think Vic is an absolute villain, that’s fine too. But no need to attack people who don’t agree with you or make assumptions about their politics.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:30 pm

There is no discussion of Vic Mignogna's crimes that is wholly divorced from the world that enabled them. There's no part of this issue that isn't political. Vic Mignogna is a creep, and tried to use the state to attack people for trying to hold him accountable. In the midst of defending a racist, homophobic, antisemitic, misogynist child-raping grifter and his idiotic band of crooks, you're just shutting down any discussion of how things can be changed to prevent more Vic Mignognas from existing at all. You just attacked someone for saying something that doesn't go along with your politics while saying that nobody should do it in the first place, it's completely transparent bullshit.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:56 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 pm I personally dig Huber's 17/Pilaf -- the latter particularly because you can tell he's having a ball voicing such a dorky villain -- but supposing he gets the boot, I'm more than open to other takes on those roles.
Greg Ayres would make for an awesome Pilaf since he can sound like Shigeru Chiba.
...now I really want to hear Ayres' Pilaf.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am It seems like many Vic stans are Trump supporters. Hmmm... Hell, they even follow alt-right channels on YouTube and Twitter.
Making divisive political observations isn’t going to endear anyone you disagree with to your point of view. The disgraceful stunt that was pulled against Justice Kavenaugh and other false sexual assault allegations have unfortunately put the real victims of these egregious crimes in a rock and a hard place. That’s the world we live in. I believe in due process and the notion of innocent-until-proven-guilty.
Ignoring the allegations against Kavanaugh--not that we should--the mainstream media and Democrats entirely failed to attack him on his horrendous policy positions, which instantly disqualify him for any position of power. They intentionally soft-balled him into the Supreme Court and we need to keep that in mind when discussing his reputation.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:58 pm
Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:07 pm
Making divisive political observations isn’t going to endear anyone you disagree with to your point of view. The disgraceful stunt that was pulled against Justice Kavenaugh and other false sexual assault allegations have unfortunately put the real victims of these egregious crimes in a rock and a hard place. That’s the world we live in. I believe in due process and the notion of innocent-until-proven-guilty.
Ignoring the allegations against Kavanaugh--not that we should--the mainstream media and Democrats entirely failed to attack him on his horrendous policy positions, which instantly disqualify him for any position of power. They intentionally soft-balled him into the Supreme Court and we need to keep that in mind when discussing his reputation.
And if they allegations were false and just a ploy to stop a conservative from getting on the SCOTUS (as so many right-wing conspiracy theorists seem to believe), then why weren't the same allegations made against Gorsuch?

And it's the height of hypocrisy to accuse the left of trying to sabotage SCOTUS picks after what the GOP did to Merrick Garland.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147