Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:12 pm When will the suit ever ends.
its over now.
Who won
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:12 pm When will the suit ever ends.
its over now.
Who won
Vic had his case and all claims dismissed. Not sure if they are going to take it to appeal(don’t believe it will be successful).

Vic lost.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 pm

Vic has to pay Jamie Marchi's legal fees, so Vic lost something.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 pm

JazzMazz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm Vic had his case and all claims dismissed. Not sure if they are going to take it to appeal(don’t believe it will be successful).

Vic lost.
Appeals aren't a do-over. They're for deciding "did the judge make the right decision, based on the evidence both lawyers brought to court, and how they argued". No new evidence is allowed, even if someone were to leak a tape-recorded conversation of how everyone was totally out to ruin Vic's life.

All the self-sabotaging affidavits & depositions, all the faulty filings, and every other way this case was botched... It's all there to stay. Only thing Beard can do different is try to present his arguments a different way.

Then, even if they "convince" the appellate court (let's just assume that happens, somehow)... That just means the case ends up in front of Chupp again; At which point, he strikes it down on summary judgment for all the reasons he did before.

The case is lost. Nick & Ty just don't want to admit it. They'd rather squeeze Vic dry, because he brings clicks, views, and notoriety.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 am

Fionordequester wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 pm
JazzMazz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm Vic had his case and all claims dismissed. Not sure if they are going to take it to appeal(don’t believe it will be successful).

Vic lost.
Appeals aren't a do-over. They're for deciding "did the judge make the right decision, based on the evidence both lawyers brought to court, and how they argued". No new evidence is allowed, even if someone were to leak a tape-recorded conversation of how everyone was totally out to ruin Vic's life.

All the self-sabotaging affidavits & depositions, all the faulty filings, and every other way this case was botched... It's all there to stay. Only thing Beard can do different is try to present his arguments a different way.

Then, even if they "convince" the appellate court (let's just assume that happens, somehow)... That just means the case ends up in front of Chupp again; At which point, he strikes it down on summary judgment for all the reasons he did before.

The case is lost. Nick & Ty just don't want to admit it. They'd rather squeeze Vic dry, because he brings clicks, views, and notoriety.
As someone who doesn’t like cancel culture in general, even I wish Beard, Rekieta and Mignogna would just take the L on this. This whole shit show has gone on for far too long. There’s nothing to gain from this. Vic Mignogna’s career hasn’t even really been destroyed by the KickVic movement. He’s still getting invited to cons and whatnot. Sure, it’s probably a pretty big blow that he won’t be able to play Broly and Edward Elric anymore, but this lawsuit hasn’t done anything to rectify that for him.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:23 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm General reminder that YouTube-drinking-screamy-man is not Vic's actual incompetent lawyer, and is instead a more different incompetent lawyer, but they're all in bed with each others' payrolls anyway so ultimately whatever it's all kind of a wash of ridiculousness.
Right, but he owns the law firm that's representing Vic, right? And he adamantly defends him & tries to defame or discredit anyone with unrelated things (like the leaked blooper & outtake audio that was made almost 20 years ago, which he related to how Vic was fired, even though the 2 weren't related whatsoever only because of them being about people who made others uncomfortable, but with different intents & that one party didn't intend to release theirs & the other purposefully did the things he did in public) & whatnot. Plus, he's been presenting himself as the guy who's been helping him with this case. It's confusing.
I agree, it is confusing, so don't feel bad about it. That said, here's the relationships in a nutshell:

Nick Re...OK, no...
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 pm...YouTube-drinking-screamy-man...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...is a Minnesota-based lawyer and the grandson of a deceased mega-rich, Texas-based oil tycoon. While he does legally qualify as a lawyer, his history of actually trying cases is not very apparent to me. Rather, it seems to me that he spends a lot of his time posting drunken YouTube videos where he "lawsplains" legal events that may be of interest to his audience. He reached out to Vic offering to help him, and while he could not legally represent Vic since he's not a member of the State Bar of Texas, he did refer Vic to someone who could: Ty Beard of the Beard Harris Bullock Hughes law firm. It is Ty Beard who represented Vic (incredibly ineffectively) in his case.

Since neither Ty Beard nor anybody in his law firm, which specializes primarily in estate planning, has ever handled a defamation case before, it was not clear for quite a while why YouTube-drinking-screamy-man even recommended him to Vic. After some time passed and some digging was done, the connection emerged: Ty Beard is the lawyer in charge of handling the money YouTube-drinking-screamy-man inherited from his mega-rich oil tycoon grandfather. So, that's how they knew each other, and that's how they're in bed with each other. It also leaked not too long ago that he was regularly consulting with Ty Beard on both legal and PR strategies for Vic, so while he did not represent Vic in an official capacity, one could argue that he did in an unofficial, legally unrecognized capacity.

Unfortunately for Vic, when it comes to defamation cases, both of these lawyers are about as talented and knowledgeable about the law as Charlie Kelly. This became more and more apparent as the case went on, and as for how any appeal is going to go, well...see Fionordequester's post above.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Nightbane

Post by Nightbane » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Fionordequester wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm Sheesh. It really is all just a game to Nick and his closest supporters, isn't it?
Pretty much. White cishet men never have to face consequences for how they treat women so they'd come to dehumanize women and forgotten how to emphasize with fellow human beings. I can guarantee you not a single one of these assholes have ever stopped to think about how it must feel to be a woman in an industry, State, nation and world so clearly built by and for white cishet men to fulfill the needs and whims of white cishet men.
As a Black man I find this to be extremely sexist and racist. My straight white friends have been cool dudes. This post also makes me ashamed to be left and makes us look even more like hypocrites, don't preach about how white cis men are sexist/racist/homophobic but then race shame in the same sentence. I been treated worse by Hispanics than straight White men btw.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am

I was wholly on board with you until the Hispanic thing. It doesnt need to be in the post and it undermines you as a source of understanding between races.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:51 am

Nightbane wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am I been treated worse by Hispanics than straight White men btw.
Did you really have to make that comparision?

If you want to speak positively about one race, don't speak negatively about another one.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm

JazzMazz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 pm

its over now.
Who won
Vic had his case and all claims dismissed. Not sure if they are going to take it to appeal(don’t believe it will be successful).

Vic lost.
What the Sam f hell, Vic lost the suit.

So what that means, does it mean he now longers works for Funimation after they had cut their ties, or what

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:25 pm What the Sam f hell, Vic lost the suit.

So what that means, does it mean he now longers works for Funimation after they had cut their ties, or what
This particular "suit" is one Vic filed himself (conspiracy! they conspired and were out to get me! lies! lies and slander!), and has no relevance to whether or not he received any further work with FUNimation.

He never worked "for" FUNimation to begin with. Like most voice actors in the field, he's a freelancer; they could hire him for one project, two projects, ongoing projects, whatever, and they can also NOT use him any time they want to not use him, and don't have to answer to anyone about it.

He apparently didn't even know what his work arrangement actually was, but that's a story for another day (and likely one already covered back in the thread somewhere).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm

So basically he just a freeloader, and Funi won't hire him again

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm So basically he just a freeloader, and Funi won't hire him again
"Freeloader" (someone who hangs on and doesn't pay their fair share) is not the same thing as "Freelancer" (someone who works on their own independent from a company). It's possible he's both, but I'm not his friend and have no clue.

It is extremely unlikely FUNimation will ever use him again; as noted, though, this case had very little to do with that fact. This case was his own doing.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:14 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm So basically he just a freeloader, and Funi won't hire him again
"Freeloader" (someone who hangs on and doesn't pay their fair share) is not the same thing as "Freelancer" (someone who works on their own independent from a company). It's possible he's both, but I'm not his friend and have no clue.

It is extremely unlikely FUNimation will ever use him again; as noted, though, this case had very little to do with that fact. This case was his own doing.
Welp, guess DBS will not have Broly back again.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm Welp, guess DBS will not have Broly back again.
Bin Shimada isn't going anywhere, and Shueisha/Toei don't base their character inclusions on their own cast anyway, nevermind some other country's dub cast.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm

It was clear all the way back in February that his time as Broly was finished. The only question at this point is: who is FUNimation going to use from here on out?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm It was clear all the way back in February that his time as Broly was finished. The only question at this point is: who is FUNimation going to use from here on out?
With each passing day, we'll be getting closer and closer to finding out probably. I can't imagine they recorded for the Super version of Broly in FighterZ THAT far in advance, so whenever that DLC character finally comes out, we'll either know for sure or at least be able to start making guesses based on the sound of the voice.

Though to be fair I guess, even that won't tell us 100%, since there have been cases where someone is cast in a more stop-gap measure for a game only to be replaced when the show itself reached that character. Like how Hit was voiced by Aaron Roberts in Xenoverse 2, and it wasn't particularly liked, so by the time we got the character in the show and FighterZ, he was replaced with Matt Mercer.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 pm Welp, guess DBS will not have Broly back again.
Bin Shimada isn't going anywhere, and Shueisha/Toei don't base their character inclusions on their own cast anyway, nevermind some other country's dub cast.
The bigger is, with Funimation unlikely wanting to used Vic, will they have to remove all mentioned of his name in most anime dubs that Mignogna had auctioned over the years?

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:10 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:18 pm
The bigger is, with Funimation unlikely wanting to used Vic, will they have to remove all mentioned of his name in most anime dubs that Mignogna had auctioned over the years?
Several already finished productions have been released since then where Vic was still credited, like the home video release of Broly as well as that One Piece special. And as far as I know, Scott Freeman's existing performances and name have always been kept whenever stuff he was in has been reissued. Funimation doesn't seem to be the type to erase performances over something like that.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:10 pm The bigger is, with Funimation unlikely wanting to used Vic, will they have to remove all mentioned of his name in most anime dubs that Mignogna had recorded for over the years?
They won't, they don't, & they can't, at least ones that have the dub casts credited & not just the creditsz translated into English. After Vic was fired, they still released the new Broly movie with his audio & they credited him in the end credits. Plus, they didn't bother to redub Sabo in the One Piece: Episode of Sabo BR they released a few months after that one. This is corporate as hell. They don't care who they have working for them until it becomes a problem that'll lose them money. There's no reason for them to redub previous materials for just 1 actor because, due to the standards in place for anime dubbing, they don't have to pay him royalties or anything for his recordings other than the initial payments they gave him for the sessions when he did them. So, they don't have to hire him back & they don't have to redub his previous work for them. It's a corporate shitshow at this point for them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs