Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:21 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:38 pm
nato25 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:36 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Personally, I kind of hope they’d just leave DBS Broly’s lines in Japanese. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new voice actor for a DLC in a two year old video game? Hell, FUNimation already pissed off a bunch of former dub fans by firing Vic Mignogna in the first place, so most people will just play the game in Japanese anyway.
Probably because you can't just have one character exclusively in Japanese
Why not? It’s a DLC for a video game that’s two years old. Who cares? It’s not like FUNimation is known for their quality control anyway, especially when it comes to video games.
It's not Funi's call whether to dub that or not, it's Bandai-Namco's. Funi just provides the voiceovers for the games. They more than likely have already had a new voice actor ready since cutting ties with Vic.
Also, name one example where a game related to Funimation has left in a Japanese voice for at one character with speaking lines in an otherwise dubbed game. What you're suggesting is ridiculous.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Why not? It’s a DLC for a video game that’s two years old. Who cares? It’s not like FUNimation is known for their quality control anyway, especially when it comes to video games.
It's not Funi's call whether to dub that or not, it's Bandai-Namco's. Funi just provides the voiceovers for the games. They more than likely have already had a new voice actor ready since cutting ties with Vic.
Also, name one example where a game related to Funimation has left in a Japanese voice for at one character with speaking lines in an otherwise dubbed game. What you're suggesting is ridiculous.
Namco Bandai has lousy quality control as well. There’s a reason that the video games are constantly plagued with typos and bad lip-syncing. Besides, assuming they give the DBS Broly some special dialogue with DBZ Broly, wouldn’t that mean that they’d have to get the new actor to voice the old Broly as well? Either way, things wouldn’t be consistent.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:00 pm

nato25 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:36 pm Probably because you can't just have one character exclusively in Japanese
I think Nato is instead referring to the timing of this DLC in relation to the movie it's promoting. By the time this comes out, it'll be almost a whole year since the movie it's promoting actually came out.

On the other hand that means Funi will have had all that time to have the role recast at least.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:25 pm Personally, I kind of hope they’d just leave DBS Broly’s lines in Japanese. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new voice actor for a DLC in a two year old video game? Hell, FUNimation already pissed off a bunch of former dub fans by firing Vic Mignogna in the first place, so most people will just play the game in Japanese anyway.
I mean, here's the thing. They're going to HAVE to hire someone new in the near future anyways. Almost all of Vic's recurring roles with them (Broly, Sabo, etc.) appear in either new sequels or new media. Broly's a staple for DB games at this point, so to not have found a soundalike to replace him by now is just stupid, especially since everyone expected DBS: Broly DLC in FighterZ & they would've got first wind of that months before we did so they could schedule recording sessions with a VA for him. If DBZ: Kakarot next year has bonus content like the Legacy of Goku games that take a broad strokes approach to the movies, or alternate timelines as Xenoverse presents them, & they include OG Broly, or have DLC expansions or a sequel to adapt Super's arcs & movies so far, they'll NEED someone to record for him.
They've already found a good replacement for Sabo in Johnny Yong Bosch & replaced him in that one show he only appeared in one episode for, so who's to say Sabat hasn't been scouting their talent list to see who can fit the bill, I'd be shocked. In regards to leaving his voice lines in Japanese, that's what the optional Japanese dub soundtrack is for. That's like asking to listen to leave the Final Fantasy characters in Japanese in the English dub for the Kingdom Hearts games. Something's just not right with doing that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm That's like asking to listen to leave the Final Fantasy characters in Japanese in the English dub for the Kingdom Hearts games. Something's just not right with doing that.
And yet they get away with doing that in the KH trailers EVERY TIME! :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Young-Jah wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm Also, the big problem is, with the DBS version of Broly coming to FighterZ on December 5th, how is that going to work considering Vic got sent packing from Funi, lost to Funi, and now have to pay 223,042 grand?

I mean, is going to have Bin Shimada, but no Vic Broly?
Personally, I kind of hope they’d just leave DBS Broly’s lines in Japanese. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new voice actor for a DLC in a two year old video game? Hell, FUNimation already pissed off a bunch of former dub fans by firing Vic Mignogna in the first place, so most people will just play the game in Japanese anyway.
I, on the other hand, hope they replace Dick Lasagna with another actor. Who cares about the feelings of a bunch of whiny pissants who care more about their bizarre hero worship over a third rate actor than the comfort of victims?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:17 pm

I think some of you have a mistaken view how much effect any actor's replacement has on the popularity of DBZ.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:13 pm
Young-Jah wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm Also, the big problem is, with the DBS version of Broly coming to FighterZ on December 5th, how is that going to work considering Vic got sent packing from Funi, lost to Funi, and now have to pay 223,042 grand?

I mean, is going to have Bin Shimada, but no Vic Broly?
I, on the other hand, hope they replace Dick Lasagna with another actor. Who cares about the feelings of a bunch of whiny pissants who care more about their bizarre hero worship over a third rate actor than the comfort of victims?
I’m not saying that they should care for the feelings of his fans. I’m saying that FUNimation lost a lot of their fans after they fired him, which means that few people are going to play the game in English to begin with. It’s kind of funny that, out of all the sleazy things FUNimation has done in the past, them firing some guy is the straw that broke the camel’s back for a lot of people, but regardless, why go through the trouble of hiring a new actor if few people are going to play the English version of the game to begin with?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:26 pm

I doubt FUNi lost a number of fans that will make any noticeable difference.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:25 pm Personally, I kind of hope they’d just leave DBS Broly’s lines in Japanese. Why go through the trouble of hiring a new voice actor for a DLC in a two year old video game? Hell, FUNimation already pissed off a bunch of former dub fans by firing Vic Mignogna in the first place, so most people will just play the game in Japanese anyway.
Bruh, FUNi doesn't do anything other than recording the dub. Hell, Bandai even controls the translations of the scripts from the Japanese. Most of the time, they don't even get video files of the cutscenes to properly match the dialogue to what's going on, only being told to match the Japanese performances in timing & energy, which lead to Bardock taking Frieza's army down at the beginning of Xenoverse 2 to fall more flat than it should've.
KBABZ wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm That's like asking to listen to leave the Final Fantasy characters in Japanese in the English dub for the Kingdom Hearts games. Something's just not right with doing that.
And yet they get away with doing that in the KH trailers EVERY TIME! :lol:
I get that that's a joke, but logistically, those trailers were released before the dubbing was even underway. The 2018 trailers were after the dub had been recorded most of the way if not all of the way &, thus, use the dub dialogue instead. Even now, the Re:Mind DLC trailers didn't have the dubbing done. Hell, even Bandai Namco is guilty of this with DB game trailers & THEY do a LOT less to make the games work with the dubs than Square does.
ABED wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:17 pm I think some of you have a mistaken view how much effect any actor's replacement has on the popularity of DBZ.
Exactly. In fact, most of the replaced voice actors over the years have been accepted sooner or later to varying degrees. When Vic was fired, all of the Vic stans jumped ship from DB, the people like me who don't care one way or another don't care about his firing & stick with the dub, & the people who didn't care for Vic don't care. The majority of DB dub fans most likely fall in the middle, I imagine.
Considering Broly's a very divisive character &, until DBS, Broly wasn't much of a character so much as an overpowered damage sponge in a movie with a great setup for a great anti-villain that needed a reboot & refit to truly bring that to life as well as actually giving him lines to bring out some semblance of a personality, only with expended universe stuff in video games like Xenoverse 2 to try to breathe some life into the character & actually give Vic lines to say, I'm not surprised.
WittyUsername wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm I’m not saying that they should care for the feelings of his fans. I’m saying that FUNimation lost a lot of their fans after they fired him, which means that few people are going to play the game in English to begin with. It’s kind of funny that, out of all the sleazy things FUNimation has done in the past, them firing some guy is the straw that broke the camel’s back for a lot of people, but regardless, why go through the trouble of hiring a new actor if few people are going to play the English version of the game to begin with.
I think you're overestimating how many fans they lost with his firing. Granted, they lost fans, but I think a lot of the discourse online really overshadows how many people actually cared that much.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm

I really don't care who they get to replace him for Broly. Even in the new movie he's a flat enough character that practically anyone could do it. Only his Edward Elric voice was distinctive enough that they'd actually have to try to find a close enough replacement, IMO.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:57 pm I really don't care who they get to replace him for Broly. Even in the new movie he's a flat enough character that practically anyone could do it. Only his Edward Elric voice was distinctive enough that they'd actually have to try to find a close enough replacement, IMO.
True. His Edward is VERY well done & iconic. It's probably a good thing that they stopped producing new stuff for that franchise & got the definitive version of the anime out when they did. Though it wouldn't surprise me if that, if they did, Aniplex would get him back as Edward.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm

This fiasco really isn't gonna hurt FUNimation as much as some folks fear (or want). I ran into an anime fan just the other day who never heard of this; and he's hardcore enough that he's learned Japanese and translates various things.

Vik's big, but he's not THAT big.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm This fiasco really isn't gonna hurt FUNimation as much as some folks fear (or want). I ran into an anime fan just the other day who never heard of this; and he's hardcore enough that he's learned Japanese and translates various things.

Vic's big, but he's not THAT big.
All he did was play Broly too, so the franchise will go on without him.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:22 pm This fiasco really isn't gonna hurt FUNimation as much as some folks fear (or want). I ran into an anime fan just the other day who never heard of this; and he's hardcore enough that he's learned Japanese and translates various things.

Vik's big, but he's not THAT big.
There are people still totally convinced that Toei's gonna revoke Funi's license over the leaks even though Toei hasn't said a peep about it in the last near 3 moths.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 pm There are people still totally convinced that Toei's gonna revoke Funi's license over the leaks even though Toei hasn't said a peep about it in the last near 3 moths.
Toei either doesn't care, or FUNi must've explained the situation to them. People are stupid.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:52 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 pm There are people still totally convinced that Toei's gonna revoke Funi's license over the leaks even though Toei hasn't said a peep about it in the last near 3 moths.
Funny thing is, they actually did.

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/statu ... 20512?s=20

At least, I think they did.

Timing works out pretty well, considering this was about 2 days after Chupp dismissed the rest of Mignogna's claims.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 pm

It’s funny, I predicted how the fandom would react from the beginning for the most part. I knew the larger fandom would stand by him as the anime fandom IS just that toxic and evil (in general ). At least the ones invested in the story as I’m aware most anime fans don’t know or care either way. What baffled me is when Vic started going after Sabat and the like. I was legit curious who the fandom would side with since Sabat is crucial (for better or worse) to the dub in this fandom. And... they STILL sided with Vic and in fact want everyone BUT him fired from Dragon Ball. That was.. baffling.

Anime fans as a group are generally shitty people. Fuck it all. The only anime I support now are positive works like A Silent Voice.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:52 pm

Timing works out pretty well, considering this was about 2 days after Chupp dismissed the rest of Mignogna's claims.
I think you're looking too far into that tweet. "Thank you for giving your strong and beautiful voice to our Bulma!" is not indicative of her not being Bulma anymore. It's just an acknowledgement of what she's done for the last 10 years so far.
If they did revoke the license,
1. They'd announce it. When FUNi was losing the rights to Fullmetal Alchemist, they announced it.
2. FUNi wouldn't still have the last volume of Super on preorder or any of their other releases in print.
3. The English trailers for DBZ: Kakarot most likely wouldn't have English voiceovers from the FUNi cast. They'd just leave them in Japanese or have a different cast.
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 pm It’s funny, I predicted how the fandom would react from the beginning for the most part. I knew the larger fandom would stand by him as the anime fandom IS just that toxic and evil (in general ). At least the ones invested in the story as I’m aware most anime fans don’t know or care either way. What baffled me is when Vic started going after Sabat and the like. I was legit curious who the fandom would side with since Sabat is crucial (for better or worse) to the dub in this fandom. And... they STILL sided with Vic and in fact want everyone BUT him fired from Dragon Ball. That was.. baffling.

Anime fans as a group are generally shitty people. Fuck it all. The only anime I support now are positive works like A Silent Voice.
I'm sorry, but that's an extremely pessimistic & bad take on this situation. The larger fandom? Like, most of the DB fandom? I'm sorry, even most of the dub's fandom didn't care that much. Literally the only people that cared or stood by him were his fans (which don't comprise a lot of the DB fandom), or right wing grifters. And then you contradict yourself & say most anime fans don't know or care. Literally not a lot of people sided with Vic against the rest of the cast outside of Monica Rial (who, let's face it, didn't endear herself to outsiders by threatening people with a lawsuit if they tweeted something she perceived as bad at her, even if it wasn't as bad as other stuff) & maybe Sean Schemmel, but he also acted like an ass at times.
The only thing I can think of that they'd be against the others about are the leaked outtakes from 20 years ago, which had NOTHING to do with Vic outside of Rekieta being shady & trying to use it as proof that Vic was innocent of any misdeeds...somehow because people, before he worked at FUNi, recorded joke takes when dubbing Z that got leaked to the public years ago & then suddenly resurfaced.

I'm sorry, but, what? Dragon Ball not being positive? The larger fandom is extremely positive. Because it's not a film about a dude who befriends a deaf girl, it's toxic? I don't believe that. Sorry, but that's just bad logic since you don't go into detail about it. I've said similar things about things that I hate about certain fandoms, so I know why you're saying that, but I don't think DB is nearly as bad as those fandoms.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:52 pm

Just seems like a standard birthday post to me. I don't follow the Toei Twitter so I wouldn't know, but they probably do that for a lot of the show's main VAs?