Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:01 pm

funrush wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm Just seems like a standard birthday post to me. I don't follow the Toei Twitter so I wouldn't know, but they probably do that for a lot of the show's main VAs?
They do that for main English & Japanese VAs for every one of their products all the time, yes.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 am

I'm just thinking that if they actually cared about any of this, they wouldn't have done that.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:46 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 am I'm just thinking that if they actually cared about any of this, they wouldn't have done that.
Wouldn't have wished a VA of an important secondary character from one of their biggest franchises a happy birthday?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:09 am

The point was that the Vic stains thought Toei would have their side in this, but wishing well the person supposedly causing """their side""" trouble would go against that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 am

Inb4 "Toei sucks anyway, Madhouse should animate Dragon Ball from now on."
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 am Inb4 "Toei sucks anyway, Madhouse should animate Dragon Ball from now on."
Are you kidding? Only Gainax can do Bulma's boobs justice!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Apparently Johnny Yong Bosch is the new Broly, at least in FighterZ.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Both Sabo AND Broly? I can't imagine that's coincidental. Great to hear, regardless.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Thank Kami they didn't reuse his old voice clips, we're finally free! Bad riddance to vic, not going to miss him after all the crap he pulled.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Can we go 4/4 and have Rohan and Ed Elric voiced by him too?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm Can we go 4/4 and have Rohan and Ed Elric voiced by him too?
Dude, no.

For 1, FUNi doesn't own FMA anymore & everything that's been done with that in anime form has been done. On top of that, it's wholly unnecessary & would cost Aniplex more than they would be willing to pay, since the dubs are good, done, dusted, & didn't cost them a penny to produce since they inherited the franchise after FUNi's license for it ran out.

2, Viz already recorded those episodes of Jojos. On top of that, Johnny already played Johnathan Joestar in Part 1. And, as much as I love Johnny, he really shouldn't be voicing more than one character in a show or franchise. As great of a VA he is, he's not the man of 1000 voices. Every voice I've heard from him is a variation of his regular voice, which is fine, but it could be distracting if he's cast with more than 1 role in a show.

3. On top of those, they have no actual reason to rerecord his lines for either of those. Anime dubbing studios never have to pay royalties for the work the actors provide & they already have voiced lines by an actor that pulls off the roles. Like, look at FUNi. You think they're just gonna redub the first 4 Broly movies or One Piece Film: Gold or Episode of Sabo to replace his recordings in them & rerelease them with the hope that people are gonna rebuy discs for something they already have & are happy with? Fuck no! That would cost them more than they'd be willing to spend to sell a small number of copies to the few remaining people or new fans that would be buying them for the first time. It's not like Disney having Alex Hirsch redub Louis CK's lines in Gravity Falls after HIS sexual abuse allegations. They did that to protect the brand of the show & not have to pay him royalties. FUNi literally has more reasons to NOT do the same than TO, y'know?
This also isn't Japan, where Square Enix is gonna release a patch to replace Olaf's voice in the Japanese version of KHIII because his old VA was busted for a crime. The American companies aren't gonna go to those lengths for those reasons. Otherwise they would've redubbed Sabo in Episode of Sabo before it came out, but they didn't. They don't care about who works for them, as long as they can maintain a good public image & the people aren't hard to work with, they're good. That's how companies work. They'd rather recast someone for future projects, keep the old recordings they already paid for, & move on. Otherwise they would've redubbed the entirety of DBZ & the movies with better scripts for the orange bricks' audio with the Japanese music. FUNi doesn't care.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 pm

I could be entirely wrong, but I'm thinking Shaddy meant that more in the vein of 'hey, if these characters ever have to be voiced in English again for new material, just give them to Bosch.'

Though admittedly, can't really say I'd 100% agree with that either, but that's mostly because I'm already dead set in my mind at wanting Michael Sinterniklaas to take over Edward Elric if the need arises (though a lot of people advocate for Aaron Dismuke to take over the role). As for Rohan? I'll uh...I'll take anyone. Based on the little bit I've seen of Vic's work there, I was already not feeling that one before all of this exploded. And for that one there's at least a chance we'll end up in need of a new voice, since there's the Rohan OVA's.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Ugh, JYB as Ed and Rohan? Please no.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:41 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 pm I could be entirely wrong, but I'm thinking Shaddy meant that more in the vein of 'hey, if these characters ever have to be voiced in English again for new material, just give them to Bosch.'

Though admittedly, can't really say I'd 100% agree with that either, but that's mostly because I'm already dead set in my mind at wanting Michael Sinterniklaas to take over Edward Elric if the need arises (though a lot of people advocate for Aaron Dismuke to take over the role). As for Rohan? I'll uh...I'll take anyone. Based on the little bit I've seen of Vic's work there, I was already not feeling that one before all of this exploded. And for that one there's at least a chance we'll end up in need of a new voice, since there's the Rohan OVA's.
When it comes to Rohan, I don't know if he appears in the later arcs of Jojos (considering it's an anthology series where every arc takes place in a different time period with different characters related to the ones in the previous arcs, I doubt it), but it's whatever Viz wants to do at this point for other media.

Edward is a tough call. There are very few roles Vic has played that I can see him being the definitive voice of. Edward is the one I can't see anyone else in the role of. Vic was perfect casting & he loved voicing him. The manga's over & no more animated material's coming out, but if it did, I doubt they would cast anyone but Vic for the role in English. That's just my take, though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Reading some of the reactions to Broly's recasting, you'd think Broly was an interesting character and this was like replacing Downey as Iron Man.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Some seem to be pleased with Bosch as Broly, though. I swear that many of his fans see him as some Marlon Brando or Laurence Olivier of voice acting.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Zinnia wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:55 pm Thank Kami they didn't reuse his old voice clips, we're finally free! Bad riddance to vic, not going to miss him after all the crap he pulled.
Aah, but Vic is still in as OG movie Broly! Now we can have one beat the other to death!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I almost wonder if they'll have Bosch dub over Z Broly's FighterZ stuff while he's at it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm I almost wonder if they'll have Bosch dub over Z Broly's FighterZ stuff while he's at it.
We'll see when the next patch drops.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm Reading some of the reactions to Broly's recasting, you'd think Broly was an interesting character and this was like replacing Downey as Iron Man.
Or just some over hyped meat head who is hyped for just being a meat head. Because you know, that's what he's always been.