Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm

I feel like JYB's voice won't fit for OG Broly, so I do hope they look for another VA that can deliver a semi-deep voice for that one. I've grown waaay too used to Vic's voice for Z Broly. But for the Super/canon Broly, JYB's voice fits him well.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Assuming OG Broly continues to see usage in future Dragon Ball games, they’re not going to hire yet another actor to voice him. They’ll obviously just stick JYB for all versions of Broly going forward.

Anyway, it’s been nearly a year since he was fired, but Vic Mignogna not voicing Broly is still a pretty weird thing to consider. I was so used to him in the role.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Gonna be honest: outside of the new film, I can't even remember the last time I heard Vic's Broly -- my dub/sub marathons of DB/DBZ and Kai beginning last year aside, I've been mostly sub-only for the past decade and that naturally extended to the games. There's the original movie, but I haven't watched the dub since the DVD came out (2003, wow!) , so that'd leave me with...Budokai 3? Tenkaichi 1 or 2? The point is, I have no lingering attachment on his take since I can't, y'know, recall it. (And going by the clips shared in that other thread recently, I can kinda see why.)

Funnily enough, throughout said marathon I did watch the movies in accordance to episode release dates, although for whatever reason I stopped before the first Broly. Needless to say, I haven't felt inclined to revisit them since the scandal erupted.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm Reading some of the reactions to Broly's recasting, you'd think Broly was an interesting character and this was like replacing Downey as Iron Man.
Super Broly is actually pretty interesting for DB standards. But Vic only played that version of the character for one film, so his recasting isn't like a huge deal.

JYB is pretty good in other stuff I've seen him in, so I hope he can do Broly justice. I'm sure he can do the regular talking but whether or not he can do the screams is what matters.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm 1
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 pm 2
8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 pm 3
Scsigs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:41 pm 4
Guys, it was a joke. I was just saying it because I thought it'd be funny to imagine a scenario in which EVERY ROLE HE GOT was replaced by the same person.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:09 pm

The Yu-Gi-Oh! Fanbase appearently found out that Vic is now voicing a character in the mobile game "Duel Links" after one VA retired. But the catch is, he is under a different name.

The character is Rex Goodwin (the bulky guy), you can listen and check here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8FMmyeXj8

So this is fate now, huh? What's next, painting his hair black to try getting re-hired at Funi?

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Guess he wasn't blacklisted by the whole industry. The guy's gonna take as many jobs as he can get to pay off that quarter mil

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm

funrush wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 pm Guess he wasn't blacklisted by the whole industry. The guy's gonna take as many jobs as he can get to pay off that quarter mil
Which reminds me, someone should probably let him know he owes that money!

(That's a joke on how uninformed he was about his own case, if anyone was wondering)

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:41 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 pm I could be entirely wrong, but I'm thinking Shaddy meant that more in the vein of 'hey, if these characters ever have to be voiced in English again for new material, just give them to Bosch.'

Though admittedly, can't really say I'd 100% agree with that either, but that's mostly because I'm already dead set in my mind at wanting Michael Sinterniklaas to take over Edward Elric if the need arises (though a lot of people advocate for Aaron Dismuke to take over the role). As for Rohan? I'll uh...I'll take anyone. Based on the little bit I've seen of Vic's work there, I was already not feeling that one before all of this exploded. And for that one there's at least a chance we'll end up in need of a new voice, since there's the Rohan OVA's.
When it comes to Rohan, I don't know if he appears in the later arcs of Jojos (considering it's an anthology series where every arc takes place in a different time period with different characters related to the ones in the previous arcs, I doubt it), but it's whatever Viz wants to do at this point for other media.

Edward is a tough call. There are very few roles Vic has played that I can see him being the definitive voice of. Edward is the one I can't see anyone else in the role of. Vic was perfect casting & he loved voicing him. The manga's over & no more animated material's coming out, but if it did, I doubt they would cast anyone but Vic for the role in English. That's just my take, though.
Massive Jojo dweeb here. Rohan doesn't appear again after part four (outside of some manga spinoffs). He is mentioned again two more times in the series, and altough we don't see him again in person, it's very well possible his second mention might lead to him getting a line or two in the anime, since it's the type of scene that David Production usually expands on.
Other than that though, there are just the OVAs, but I doubt those will ever get an official english dub.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Zinnia wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:09 pm The Yu-Gi-Oh! Fanbase appearently found out that Vic is now voicing a character in the mobile game "Duel Links" after one VA retired. But the catch is, he is under a different name.

So this is fate now, huh? What's next, painting his hair black to try getting re-hired at Funi?
Not Vic. Aside from not even sounding much like him, this game isn't even recorded in LA or Texas, but New York.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 pm
Zinnia wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:09 pm The Yu-Gi-Oh! Fanbase appearently found out that Vic is now voicing a character in the mobile game "Duel Links" after one VA retired. But the catch is, he is under a different name.

Not Vic. Aside from not even sounding much like him, this game isn't even recorded in LA or Texas, but New York.
Well, that doesn't stop 4K Media from hiring people who usually work outside NYC. Sean Schemmel is a regular recurring VA for them & he now lives in LA. It wouldn't surprise me if Vic were to relocate to NYC to get dubbing work for them & the Pokemon Company to dub for Yugioh & Pokemon, since 4K Media, if they still have the policies for paying VAs that 4Kids had, pays their actors pretty well & I don't think that the Pokemon Company has any standards for the Pokemon dubs, so...
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm Well, that doesn't stop 4K Media from hiring people who usually work outside NYC. Sean Schemmel is a regular recurring VA for them & he now lives in LA. It wouldn't surprise me if Vic were to relocate to NYC to get dubbing work for them & the Pokemon Company to dub for Yugioh & Pokemon, since 4K Media, if they still have the policies for paying VAs that 4Kids had, pays their actors pretty well & I don't think that the Pokemon Company has any standards for the Pokemon dubs, so...
Aside from, again, the fact it doesn't even sound like him there are just too many issues here.

1. Sean Schemmel was in NY for years, he has an existing relationship with these people that just isn't there with Vic.

2. If Vic WAS in New York now everybody and their mother would know about it already.

3. The name listed as playing Rex in the game is "Murray Thom." I don't know who that is, but the name was also credited in past Yu-Gi-Oh projects going back at least a decade to the 5Ds show Rex is from. Rex had three voices in the past, so says the second of them, Murray is probably just that third voice. Vic would have no reason to use an alias at that time and if it was him someone would have noticed.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

Nevermind then , you guys gave reasons why it isn't him. That poster must have been wrong

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm Well, that doesn't stop 4K Media from hiring people who usually work outside NYC.
Adding to this, it's well worth noting that many of the biggest VAs in the business have cut this sort of thing out by having recording studios set up in their own homes, like James Arnold Taylor does. With the advent of the internet, your physical location relative to the studio is now much less of an issue.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 pm

EXBadguy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:35 pm I feel like JYB's voice won't fit for OG Broly, so I do hope they look for another VA that can deliver a semi-deep voice for that one. I've grown waaay too used to Vic's voice for Z Broly. But for the Super/canon Broly, JYB's voice fits him well.
Bosch and Micknoggin seemed like they have about the same timbre to me...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:43 pm Aside from, again, the fact it doesn't even sound like him there are just too many issues here.

1. Sean Schemmel was in NY for years, he has an existing relationship with these people that just isn't there with Vic.

2. If Vic WAS in New York now everybody and their mother would know about it already.

3. The name listed as playing Rex in the game is "Murray Thom." I don't know who that is, but the name was also credited in past Yu-Gi-Oh projects going back at least a decade to the 5Ds show Rex is from. Rex had three voices in the past, so says the second of them, Murray is probably just that third voice. Vic would have no reason to use an alias at that time and if it was him someone would have noticed.
I was just giving a hypothetical, I don't expect that he actually did or will.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Posted this in the FighterZ thread, but it feels worthwhile to post here as well - we now have some better audio clips (like actual lines instead of just screams) of how Bosch sounds in the role. I'm liking it, but still curious to hear how he'll sound as classic evil Broly.
KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm Adding to this, it's well worth noting that many of the biggest VAs in the business have cut this sort of thing out by having recording studios set up in their own homes, like James Arnold Taylor does. With the advent of the internet, your physical location relative to the studio is now much less of an issue.
This is largely true, but one general exception is worth noting - stuff that's simuldubbed is usually done with almost entirely an in-house cast just due to how quickly work has to be done. Even that's still manageable with the right set-up and actors working with schedules and such though, considering Mike Pollock (Dr. Robotnik/Eggman) was able to get a role in Dr. Stone.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 pm Adding to this, it's well worth noting that many of the biggest VAs in the business have cut this sort of thing out by having recording studios set up in their own homes, like James Arnold Taylor does. With the advent of the internet, your physical location relative to the studio is now much less of an issue.
This is largely true, but one general exception is worth noting - stuff that's simuldubbed is usually done with almost entirely an in-house cast just due to how quickly work has to be done. Even that's still manageable with the right set-up and actors working with schedules and such though, considering Mike Pollock (Dr. Robotnik/Eggman) was able to get a role in Dr. Stone.
Fair point! Didn't think of that; JAT I don't think has done simul-cast-like work before.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:48 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm
Fair point! Didn't think of that; JAT I don't think has done simul-cast-like work before.
He doesn't do a lot of dubbing work, unfortunately. Minus his work with Square for FF & KH, he hasn't done much of anything else. I'm sure he'd actually wanna be in a studio for dubbing work, since it requires more focus & attention to be done properly than prelay stuff.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:06 am

So new Broly is Ichigo. Does vic get paid if they use already recorded voice lines. I know he's the cum of the Earth but he fits better for classic Broly.