Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:25 pm It baffles me that there’s so many people who legitimately believe an entire company decided to just make up lies and apparently ruin someone’s life for no reason.Vic stans are something else.
One thing that’s particularly amusing to me is how quickly they turned against Monica Rial. Even going so far as to demand she be replaced with Bulma’s previous voice actress Tiffany Vollmer. This despite the fact that, just a few months or so prior to this whole thing blowing up, they were SINGING her praises due to a tweet she made in response to a feminist post that implied DB was anti woman and toxic. She replied that the series has plenty of strong women and that she should know, she voices one of them.

Of course this makes me believe they absolutely were praising her defense of Dragon Ball in bad faith. They just like that she put an “uppity feminist in her place.”
You have a link to this?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:25 pm It baffles me that there’s so many people who legitimately believe an entire company decided to just make up lies and apparently ruin someone’s life for no reason.Vic stans are something else.
One thing that’s particularly amusing to me is how quickly they turned against Monica Rial. Even going so far as to demand she be replaced with Bulma’s previous voice actress Tiffany Vollmer. This despite the fact that, just a few months or so prior to this whole thing blowing up, they were SINGING her praises due to a tweet she made in response to a feminist post that implied DB was anti woman and toxic. She replied that the series has plenty of strong women and that she should know, she voices one of them.

Of course this makes me believe they absolutely were praising her defense of Dragon Ball in bad faith. They just like that she put an “uppity feminist in her place.”
You have a link to this?
https://mobile.twitter.com/rialisms/st ... 04?lang=en Here you go, friend.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:59 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:50 pm One thing that’s particularly amusing to me is how quickly they turned against Monica Rial.
I do think it's important to note that who we're talking about when we say "they"...because really, there are two groups of "they"s here. Yes, there are some fans of Vic who are having a hard time coming to terms that he could do the things he has been accused of doing. However, there's also another group who--and we know this, because they have said as much--had zero interest in Vic to begin with, and simply started rooting for him because they, to quote one Kiwi Farms user, "Want to see the weebs cry." The latter never turned on Monica...they never knew who she was until the drama started, and decided they didn't like her from the start. There was no "turning" in that case.

This may seem like a minor differentiation, but I would gently request that we do our best to keep this differentiation in mind. As Monica noted, this fandom has been bitterly divided in some circles because of these developments, and I think part of the healing process means keeping in mind who we're talking to. Yes, there is an "anti-culture warrior/LOL u stupid weeb!"-crowd...they are lost causes and trolls who never cared about Vic and just actively want to make people miserable because of some baseless mentality that "men are under attack by modern feminism" or whatever. At the same time, the Vic fans who are open to listening can be reached, and I have seen some of them change their minds when they were alerted to facts about this case that were not extensively covered outside of the Twittersphere.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:53 am

And don't forget that before all of this everyone was against casting Vic in new roles because he was a homophobe because he did not approve yaoi fanfics and made petitions to recast his characters.
https://www.change.org/p/funimation-vic ... lang=en-CA

Oh, and look at these comments from 5 years ago:
he's not only homophobic but also really creepy towards underaged girls and that is NOT OKAY for an anime with mostly female fans
Someone with this history of sexual harassment and homophobia has no business working on a show with gay overtones aimed at young women.
I saw Vic host the Masquerade at Dragoncon in 2013, and the sexual jokes he mare towards the children entrants made my blood boil. He is despicable.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 pm

So uh, anyone following the KitchenerCon drama? That trainwreck's been unraveling on Twitter over the past week, but you can find a write-up here.

Long story short: A convention made the galaxy brain move of inviting not just Vic, but Nick "MONICA AND JAMIE WANT VIC DEAD AND BURIED" Rekieta himself. To no one's surprise, like other problematic conventions still inviting Vic (AnimeMatsuri and HawaiiCon), this convention has a history of excusing sexual assault/harassment; in this case, they'll purposely ignore any and all harassment complaints. (And yes, they really are hiding behind their underage volunteers as an excuse.)
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:53 pm
Well so far they have

1. Decided testimonies from multiple women isn’t evidence but Chuck Huber saying he heard Sabat fired Nadolny and Vollmer for not welcoming his advances is believable evidence.
The id of Vic supporters right here -- for over eight months they spewed nonsense on how every last one of the accusations were hearsay, or weren't evidence, or were lies, or whatever, and yet somehow Chuck Huber's thinly-veiled (and woefully thought-out) attempt at shifting the narrative from his predator friend ("They thought Vic was gay and were mean to him because of his Christian faith!") somehow magically proves Chris Sabat's running a casting couch? Despite the fact that a) Huber provided *none* of the pictures/video footage they consistently upheld as "evidence", and b) that z-e-r-o women have come forward on FUNi's dastardly deeds? Puh-leeze.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Damn, I wish someone (who wasn't a dysfunctional nut like me) could do a campaign of awareness against conventions that are unsafe. This is just ridiculous.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 pm Damn, I wish someone (who wasn't a dysfunctional nut like me) could do a campaign of awareness against conventions that are unsafe. This is just ridiculous.
Either Monica and Jamie will say "hell no we won't go" until KC gives in and disinvites Vic, or if they don't do that, they might show up to confront him face to face, neither one is going to go well for him.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 pm So uh, anyone following the KitchenerCon drama? That trainwreck's been unraveling on Twitter over the past week, but you can find a write-up here.
Oh god, don't go into the comments.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:35 am

Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 pm Damn, I wish someone (who wasn't a dysfunctional nut like me) could do a campaign of awareness against conventions that are unsafe. This is just ridiculous.
Either Monica and Jamie will say "hell no we won't go" until KC gives in and disinvites Vic, or if they don't do that, they might show up to confront him face to face, neither one is going to go well for him.
I think you've misunderstood. It's Nick Rekieta who was invited.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 am

Valerius Dover wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:35 am
Planetnamek wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 am
I think you've misunderstood. It's Nick Rekieta who was invited.
Ah OK then.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Today, Feb 11th, is exactly the date when Funimation fired him from the company last year. We've come a long way, but now a year later, we can be assured he won't ever come back to DB. I myself am glad his name isn't polluting the staff list of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Kitchener Con is a joke. Inviting Vic a washed up voice actor accused of harassment is bad enough but then they invite Nick who literally has nothing to do with fandom .

I’m sure Vic’s crazy fans will think this is a win but Vic probably will say yes to any con that invites him. And yeah I am sure they will get some people to line up for his autograph because again his lunatic fans will come out. But the con is basically a con of nobody’s. When Vic is the biggest name you can get that’s not saying much.

Vic might have been a big draw back in 2005 when FMA first came out but that’s hardly the case these days. Even before this whole thing blew up he was a popular VA but one that often made the con circuit so if you went to any of the big cons you would eventually see him. Vic on the con guest list was nothing to be that amazed about. And now he is probably taking any con he can get.

You know why Vic and Nick are on guest lists for cons like Kitchener because they can’t afford anyone else.Thats literally the extent of it. It’s some crappy local comic con and this is the only type of show Vic can get can get. Kitchener Con can’t do any better either.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:12 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:59 pm So uh, anyone following the KitchenerCon drama? That trainwreck's been unraveling on Twitter over the past week, but you can find a write-up here.
Oh god, don't go into the comments.
Yeah, maybe I should've added a warning. :lol:

Thankfully, the writer/mod's doing a bang-up job of cleaning up that nonsense.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:01 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:53 am And don't forget that before all of this everyone was against casting Vic in new roles because he was a homophobe because he did not approve yaoi fanfics and made petitions to recast his characters.
https://www.change.org/p/funimation-vic ... lang=en-CA
Sex crimes aside, I still think this one is incredibly stupid and just a bunch of butthurt fans. So he refused to sign a fan drawing of 2 straight characters doing something homoerotic in nature and disagreed with signing, and therefore condoning, fan works that disregard the actual canon. It's not unheard of for people with attachment to a work not condone fanworks of a given kind or even fanfictions involving the characters or lore in general.

Imagine the outrage that would occur if someone took a canonically gay set of characters, draw them up in heterosexual hentai, then demanded the characters' VA's to sign their drawing and got upset at them for being against portraying LGBT characters as being straight.

Being honest, if any of my work were to ever be made public and garnered fans, I wouldn't (nor would I appreciate the staff handing any official adaptations) validate their smutt either, unless it coincided with my established lore. If I write a character who is a habitual lady's man and constantly hitting on women, I would want his smutt to be about sleeping around with different women. Likewise if I wrote a female character who is only interested in other women and genderfluid aliens, I wouldn't want to see fanart of her banging a gang of big buff white guys or the previously mentioned womanizer.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am

Pairing two 'heterosexual' characters in a fan parody isn't offensive. Hell, the entire point of characters in Japan is remixing them in doujinshi for the sake of fun. Pairing a gay character in a heterosexual relationship is going to be offensive, though. That's punching down, pairing 'heterosexual' characters in a same-gender relationship isn't punching down. Heterosexuals aren't 'erased' and never will be--the entire idea that they might be is just homophobic and transphobic propaganda.

As for Mic Vignogna: fuck him. Nothing he says is particularly reliable as it is, so just leave him be and don't ask him for signatures.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am Pairing two 'heterosexual' characters in a fan parody isn't offensive. Pairing a gay character in a heterosexual relationship is going to be offensive, though. That's punching down, pairing 'heterosexual' characters in a same-gender relationship isn't punching down.
No one said it had to be offensive to object to it. If I write my characters one way, I want them to always be portrayed in ways that align with how I wrote them. If they're straight, they're straight. If they're gay, they're gay. If they're xenosexual, then they're xenosexuals. I don't give two shits about the concept of "punching up" or "punching down" to apply double standards to situations ("it's ok to do it this way because we were oppressed before, but if you do it the other way, it's inherently oppressive regardless of intent").
Hell, the entire point of characters in Japan is remixing them in doujinshi for the sake of fun.
Maybe your phrasing is just wrong, but this reads as though the entire point of characters in Japan is to remix them with doujinshi
Heterosexuals aren't 'erased' and never will be--the entire idea that they might be is just homophobic and transphobic propaganda.
Where in the world is this narrative coming from?

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 am Pairing two 'heterosexual' characters in a fan parody isn't offensive. Pairing a gay character in a heterosexual relationship is going to be offensive, though. That's punching down, pairing 'heterosexual' characters in a same-gender relationship isn't punching down.
No one said it had to be offensive to object to it. If I write my characters one way, I want them to always be portrayed in ways that align with how I wrote them. If they're straight, they're straight. If they're gay, they're gay. If they're xenosexual, then they're xenosexuals. I don't give two shits about the concept of "punching up" or "punching down" to apply double standards to situations ("it's ok to do it this way because we were oppressed before, but if you do it the other way, it's inherently oppressive regardless of intent").
Hell, the entire point of characters in Japan is remixing them in doujinshi for the sake of fun.
Maybe your phrasing is just wrong, but this reads as though the entire point of characters in Japan is to remix them with doujinshi
Heterosexuals aren't 'erased' and never will be--the entire idea that they might be is just homophobic and transphobic propaganda.
Where in the world is this narrative coming from?
It wasn't the fact that Vic objected to it, it was the WAY he objected to it, he did it in such a manner that outed him as a blatant homophobe.

I have to ask, do you have a problem with LGBTQ people? Cause from your response here it sounds like you kind of do.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 pm It wasn't the fact that Vic objected to it, it was the WAY he objected to it, he did it in such a manner that outed him as a blatant homophobe.

I have to ask, do you have a problem with LGBTQ people? Cause from your response here it sounds like you kind of do.
If that's the case, then fine. I've never come across video of the incident and people I see discussing it online generally just say "he refused to sign Yaoi" and using that as the sole signified that he's a homophobe.

I don't have a problem with them at all. I have a problem with double standards of any kind. Like it's ok to gender/race/sexuality swap a cis white male character, everything is A-OK, but if you change any one of those aspects to be cis, white, or male, then it's incredibly offensive. Likewise with sexualization double standards. Like, it's ok for men to be sexualized in media all the time, but when women are sexualized, it's a huge issue that needs to be discussed up to and even to the point of derailing any potential discussion about possibly also applying the same new standards applied to men's appearances in media as well.

I also take offense to people just saying stupid shit like this unprovoked:
"Heterosexuals aren't 'erased' and never will be--the entire idea that they might be is just homophobic and transphobic propaganda."

Like, sexuality swapping fanfiction has no more a danger of "erasing" LGBTQ+ people or characters than it does having the reverse. Like, fiction has no bearings on reality and no amount of "this gay character was drawn kissing a hetero partner" can change that LGBTQ+ people exist nor what their sexual orientation in the official canon is.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm

Zeon_Grunt wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 pm It wasn't the fact that Vic objected to it, it was the WAY he objected to it, he did it in such a manner that outed him as a blatant homophobe.

If that's the case, then fine. I've never come across video of the incident and people I see discussing it online generally just say "he refused to sign Yaoi" and using that as the sole signified that he's a homophobe.

I don't have a problem with them at all. I have a problem with double standards of any kind. Like it's ok to gender/race/sexuality swap a cis white male character, everything is A-OK, but if you change any one of those aspects to be cis, white, or male, then it's incredibly offensive. Likewise with sexualization double standards. Like, it's ok for men to be sexualized in media all the time, but when women are sexualized, it's a huge issue that needs to be discussed up to and even to the point of derailing any potential discussion about possibly also applying the same new standards applied to men's appearances in media as well.

I also take offense to people just saying stupid shit like this unprovoked:
"Heterosexuals aren't 'erased' and never will be--the entire idea that they might be is just homophobic and transphobic propaganda."

Like, sexuality swapping fanfiction has no more a danger of "erasing" LGBTQ+ people or characters than it does having the reverse. Like, fiction has no bearings on reality and no amount of "this gay character was drawn kissing a hetero partner" can change that LGBTQ+ people exist nor what their sexual orientation in the official canon is.
Oh boy you're one of THOSE types of people? :roll:

Let me explain this as simply as possible-white people have a shit-ton of representation in fictional media already, therefore there is NOTHING at all wrong with previously white characters having their races changed to be more inclusive since minorities don't have anywhere near as much presence in fictional media as caucasians do. Making a minority character white on the other hand is a massive problem as that basically tells minorities who liked that character "hey we don't care about you, we're only trying to appeal to white people since they're a much bigger chunk of the population!". That is NOT a "double standard" at all, let me guess, you're one of those people that wants to pretend like institutional racism isn't really a thing right?

Also women are sexualized WAY more in media then men, give me a fucking break with that bullshit argument, :roll: you're sounding just like those stupid gamergate morons like Sargon and The Amazing Atheist.

You're sounding like those Comicsgate trolls online that are still butthurt about Captain Marvel being a Muslim or Iron Man being a black woman. Get over it.

It's real easy for a straight guy like you to totally dismiss making a gay character suddenly not gay anymore, DC recently got in hot water for doing the "no homo" thing for Harley and Poison Ivy and LGBQT fans have every single right to be pissed at them for their blatant cowardice(not the first time DC chickened out like this either, they also refused to have Batwoman marry her girlfriend a few years ago).

I'm so goddamn sick of straight white people like you speaking for marginalized individuals and telling them what they can and cannot be offended by. :evil:

Queer erasure is a real thing, accept it:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_erasure

Your last few posts have frankly been nothing but stupid shit, I could understand you being naive and ignorant about Youtubers that's one thing, but with you being ignorant on why LGBTQ folks have a problem with Vic and with characters being "ungayed", honestly i'm starting to think you're just not a very good person in general.

I'm done being Mr. nice guy with you, i've seen bigoted ignorant trolls like you all over social media and I refuse to allow you to spread your ignorant propaganda about race and gender on here.

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:06 pm Oh boy you're one of THOSE types of people?
Yes, I'm one of "those people," if you're referring to people who think we should all treat racism, sexism, etc equally regardless of who the purportator or victim is, or in the case of dead people, was.
Making a minority character white on the other hand is a massive problem as that basically tells minorities who liked that character "hey we don't care about you, we're only trying to appeal to white people since they're a much bigger chunk of the population!".

If people are getting that message out of it, it's solely because they're extrapolating that meaning out of it. All changing a character's identifying features means is those characteristics were fluid and not integral to the character's identity. Example, there's no reason Superman can't be black any more than there's no reason Spawn has to be black.
let me guess, you're one of those people that wants to pretend like institutional racism isn't really a thing right?
And there you go making personality calls on people based on them presenting a differing opinion than your's. Of course institutional racism exist.
Also women are sexualized WAY more in media then men, give me a fucking break with that bullshit argument
Neato, the idea that women are more sexualized than men isn't under debate here though, the idea that any standards placed on sexualizing women should also apply to men is. Basically, if sexualization of women in media has to go, then so does sexualization of men to the same extent. That's the fundamental type of equality seeking femanism was founded on and is supposed to preach.
You're sounding like those Comicsgate trolls online that are still butthurt about Captain Marvel being a Muslim or Iron Man being a black woman. Get over it.
Except Carol Danvers and Tony Stark aren't Mulsim or a black woman respectively, their previous hero persons were taken up by wholly new characters and that's absolutely something I applaud. Don't race/gender/sexuality swap, just make new fucking characters with those "ideal" characteristics. Also, it's Ms. Marvel and Riri Williams wasn't a "woman" when she first appeared, she was a teenage girl. I don't know if they recently aged her up, but she's also not Iron Man anymore, she's her own hero named Ironheart.
It's real easy for a straight guy like you to totally dismiss making a gay character suddenly not gay anymore,

You realize we're talking about this in the context of FANFICTION, right? Not the offical canons swapping out race or gender or whatever, but someone's personal fan comic they made to appease their own personal fantasies.
I'm so goddamn sick of straight white people like you speaking for marginalized individuals and telling them what they can and cannot be offended by.
I didn't say a damn thing about no one being allowed to be offended. It's not a fucking competition to see who has it worse, invalidating any offense or suffering that's deemed "less than" your's or your group's history.
Queer erasure is a real thing, accept it:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer_erasure
Did you actually read what was on that page, or did you just hear the term somewhere attributed your own definition like you did with Fair Use?

"Historian Gregory Rosenthal refers to queer erasure in describing the exclusion of LGBTQ histories from public history that can occur in urban contexts via gentrification."

A fanfiction that reworks the characters' sexuality and race may be disrespectful to the intent of the author, but it is in no way trying to erase LGBTQ+ "histories from public history." Hell, regular comics can't be accused of that because they have literally no bearing on historical record or the selectivism therein.