Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:31 am

Shaddy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 pm If someone is willing to listen to sense and reason you should never miss an opportunity to better educate them on the true nature of the situation. If they're really vehemently determined to miss the forest for the trees then it's likely there are more things wrong with them than just "both sides-ism". Anyone who's actually undecided or staying out of the situation doesn't make a point of advertising their neutrality.
The other thing I'm starting to notice, from talking with folks on Twitter, is that a lot of the more vehement ones are folks who themselves were victims of mob mentality and group think. In other words, they're lumping in the #KickVic folks in with the kinds of people who hurt them in the past; especially with people like Nick stoking the fire.

So honestly, I think it's worth talking with everyone, just to show them that we're different sorts of people than they think we are. You'll be surprised just how much they calm down and open up when they realize you're actually willing to hear their stories. In fact, someone actually invited me to their voice chat on Discord, so that if I wanted, I could chat with him about his own experiences with mob mentality.

You may not necessarily be able to convince them... But you CAN set the stage for people becoming friends again after this thing's finally settled in court.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Dooiney

Post by Dooiney » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am

I keep seeing this supposed court case pop up, though I have yet to see any actual proof of one. The only thing is that GoFundMe for his legal expenses, but why is everyone convinced that it’s for him to take action? I’d bet that it’s a precaution just in case any action is taken AGAINST him instead. Pretty sure he said he wasn’t accepting any of it anyway.

Also, what’s with all the clickbait videos about Vic suing and WINNING against Funimation? As if the legal system is this swift.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 am

Dooiney wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am I keep seeing this supposed court case pop up, though I have yet to see any actual proof of one. The only thing is that GoFundMe for his legal expenses, but why is everyone convinced that it’s for him to take action? I’d bet that it’s a precaution just in case any action is taken AGAINST him instead.
He tweeted it and his lawyer confirmed it in a few livestreams.
Dooiney wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 am Pretty sure he said he wasn’t accepting any of it anyway.
It's a legal fund that supposedly goes straight to his lawyers once it's over. So he hypothetically will never be able to touch it.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:10 am

I went through this entire topic but I have yet to see someone pointing this out regarding guest cancellation and thought it's best to share:
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am

There will never be a situation where "Finally! This has been settled in court! We know everything and everyone has agreed on what the truth is!" ever happens with this. That's a nonsensical fantasy.

Wanna echo Bryesque on the perpetual centrist bullshit while I'm here.

(SHINOBI-03: your images don't load)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am There will never be a situation where "Finally! This has been settled in court! We know everything and everyone has agreed on what the truth is!" ever happens with this. That's a nonsensical fantasy.

Exactly. I'm not sure where people in general are getting the idea that we're ever going to be privy to every single detail regarding the case, but that's just not how these things work (nor should it be). Very likely what will happen, no matter how things boil down in the end, is we'll just stop hearing things regarding it, and all parties will keep going on about their lives, whatever form that may take. And it'll be from that - whether we see Vic continue to dub things, and get to go to cons, and whether or not we see actors on the other side comment on him any further - that will be the closest things to an 'update' on the aftermath that we're ever likely to see.

(Also, his images are loading for me, though perhaps he/you have already fixed them and that's why, not sure. I had a hunch that people were taking these convention contracts way too seriously.)
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 am

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am (SHINOBI-03: your images don't load)
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 am (Also, his images are loading for me, though perhaps he/you have already fixed them and that's why, not sure.
Try it again.

Anyway, here's the twitter thread of Erica Friedman clearing some of the misunderstandings:
https://twitter.com/OkazuYuri/status/11 ... 6077831169
Q: True but it has to be completely circumstantial!
A: Nope. Guests or cons do not have to justify a cancellation. The actual language in the contract is likely to protect both parties from any responsibility should cancellation be needed. These are not demon-summoning contracts. It's not about ironclad control.
Q: Is there no punishment for breaking contract? If not then... why have a contract?
A: The contract says something like "in return for x number of panels/signings/ workshops/ the con agrees to Y &Z. Both parties are free to cancel.
Q: There has been at least one VA who has said something to the extent of "there are ways to get out of contracts" This implies that there are punitive clauses
A: It does nothing of the sort. If I say "there are ways to get down the stairs" it does not mean anything other than there are both easier and harder ways to go down stairs.
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am There will never be a situation where "Finally! This has been settled in court! We know everything and everyone has agreed on what the truth is!" ever happens with this. That's a nonsensical fantasy.
This is what I was getting at with my earlier post about how this situation will be perpetual in the fanbase now, no matter what the "result" at the "end" is. People like to hang on to their convictions.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Even if it’s settled in court, how much of that will really be public knowledge anyway? We may only get a hint of the information and left to fill in the blanks ourselves. I hope that isn’t the case, but I agree that even if we did people are too dug in now.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 pm

I mean, you're/we're/I'm also not entitled to know additional details that anyone involved doesn't want to actually share. The stuff on the table is creepy at best and abhorrent at worst, and is not your business unless someone involved chooses to offer it up. See: all prior conversations about victims, why they do/don't share, etc.

The same stuff is just being stated over and over here, though, so I'd ask that unless you genuinely have something new to bring to the table or something else breaks (which it's almost certainly going to given the nature of the "personalities" and upcoming product releases), maybe just give that some thought.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:21 pm

Agreed on not being owed information for sure, I just hope that we get something and I'm sure we will when that happens because no doubt someone will be very willing to share, now whether that will be one-sided information or not will be up in the air. Kamehacon is coming up soon, I think if there's any possible chance for the next major 'event' around this scandal, it'll be then. While I'm still not sure what exactly they were thinking bringing him in, I hope everything goes smoothly and they will be back next year.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Sure, maybe not everything, but if we're going off of what Vic's lawyer is saying, conspiracy could potentially be proven through discovery. That means texts, emails, and internal communications of all voice actors/ employees involved will be brought to light if they don't settle outside of court(and this would be public, with some possible redactions). If Vic could prove civil conspiracy with malicious intent from his public accusers then it could definitely exonerate him from these public allegations. (other than the hugging and kissing of fans stuff...) Mind you, this is what I've heard from watching livestreams with Vic's lawyer. I'm no lawyer and am just regurgitating this information...lol
Last edited by SaiyaSith on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm

When is the court date?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:01 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:Mind you, this is what I've heard from watching livestreams with Vic's lawyer. I'm no lawyer and am just regurgitating this information...lol
Oh! That reminds me! Could you please time code each new video you watch? Basically, any time he starts talking about something major?

His vids are extremely long, which means I can't often commit the time needed to watch em. So I'd like to only see the relevant bits.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pm

The sad part about it we may never learn what happens in court. Vic Mignogna is not that big to get a public broadcast of the trial and it's a high chance it'll be private behind closed doors without publishing the full details publicly. FUNimation made their investigation but since it was private without releasing the full details then it's easy for his fans to think it was one giant conspiracy against him. And an official court case may bring the same result if not worse if he was indeed found guilty and the fans will make all kinds of assumptions and won't accept the guilty verdict because they feel entitled to see all the supposed evidence used against their idol.
My Anime List
My Manga List

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 pm

In fairness it's not like the man really needs much investigating, is it? We know from what we have publicly available that the man acts creepy around women at conventions. That alone would be cause to fire him if they really wanted to. Given that that's how he acts in public? The HR file they have on the guy would have to be more than enough given that it'd be reports from his behavior in private.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 pm

[quote=Shaddy post_id=1591511 time=1553896367 user_id=116844]
In fairness it's not like the man really needs much investigating, is it? We know from what we have publicly available that the man acts creepy around women at conventions. That alone would be cause to fire him if they really wanted to. Given that that's how he acts in public? The HR file they have on the guy would have to be more than enough given that it'd be reports from his behavior in private.
[/quote]

Indeed; but the narrative has become that his life is somehow being "ruined" by everything that's happening. When, in actuality...

Professional Resume

The dude was an actual cop for two years, and is now a literal vice president & co-owner of his own music, sound design, and video production company, among many other things. Voice acting is inconsequential to him; so inconsequential, in fact, that he doesn't even list it on his professional resume.

Considering how small and how niche the anime community is, the guy could easily get another job that falls into another one of his many talents, with absolutely NOBODY being the wiser.

Mignogna isn't in High School, folks. He's not going to be hated by "everyone" if the accusations are true. He's going to be hated by a very small chunk of anime geeks, even should his court case be the most one-sided thing we ever saw in the Dragon Ball fandom.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm

He does list it on your link there, page 3. It just says "Professional voice actor for numerous nationally released animated programs", then links to IMDB.

That's not to say your point doesn't stand though, since he frontloads the resume with everything else and barely pays any mind to the voice work.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:45 pm

That's his resume? He misspelled "captain".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:46 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pm The sad part about it we may never learn what happens in court. Vic Mignogna is not that big to get a public broadcast of the trial and it's a high chance it'll be private behind closed doors without publishing the full details publicly.
Almost all court proceedings in the United States of America are open to the public. Anyone can come in with a notepad and take notes. No one involved in this is high profiled enough that there is a chance of big disruptions of proceedings if this goes to court so it's not likely to be private. The only way people don't find out about what happens in court is if parties settle outside of court before a trial begins.
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:11 pmFUNimation made their investigation but since it was private without releasing the full details then it's easy for his fans to think it was one giant conspiracy against him. And an official court case may bring the same result if not worse if he was indeed found guilty and the fans will make all kinds of assumptions and won't accept the guilty verdict because they feel entitled to see all the supposed evidence used against their idol.
The gizmodo article states that Funimation conducted an investigation into Mignogna's conduct before dubbing started for Dragon Ball Super: Broly but that was found inconclusive. They reached to Funi for comment but did not elaborate anymore details and merely replied with the same comment found on their twitter feed that they are no longer engaging with him after an internal investigation. Presumably, these are two separate investigations. And Mignogna would not be found "guilty" because he would be the plaintiff not the defendant, since none of his actual accusers seem particularly interested in taking him to court themselves. It could be found somewhere during the trial, either during discovery or proceedings, that he did in fact do those horrible things but that would just mean he loses the hypothetical lawsuit.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!