Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KBABZ wrote:You don't have to be a racist to partake in sexual assault, is what we're saying.
:eh:
I think they mistyped rapist as racist. Though I suppose what they got anyway is also true, just a non-sequitur.
Dammit, yes, that's meant to be a P, not a C! It's like when you misspell "just a sec" because the C and X keys are right next to each other.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

I mean, C and P are on opposite ends of QWERTY keyboards, but either way it means "piece of shit" so it's not too harmful a mistake

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Shaddy wrote:I mean, C and P are on opposite ends of QWERTY keyboards, but either way it means "piece of shit" so it's not too harmful a mistake
One letter difference either way... that's my excuse.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:But anime/cartoon voice actors? Specifically English ones? Nope: totally fucking mystified on that one.
Why exactly would that be any weirder than the praise heaped upon seiyuu in anime and video games? Whether one likes dubs or not, there's nothing any weirder with being a fan of voice actors in any language. Some people take it too far of course, but that's true with any sort of fandom.
I'm not talking about "general praise for their voicework": I'm talking about out and out "celebrity crush" levels of idolization and obsessive fixation. And while that sort of fixation isn't ALTOGETHER unheard of among Japanese Seiyu by ANY stretch whatsoever, to my knowledge it generally is more common with very young and (typically, but not exclusively) female examples like Aina Kosuda, Kaori Ishihara, and back in the day Megumi Hayashibara: seiyuu who, outside of their voicework, are also (sometimes even MORE prominently) known for their work as models and "idol singers" (a Japanese entertainment industry niche which is basically all but tailor-made for attracting weird, creepy stalker-types).

But folks like Norio Wakamoto, Ryusei Nakao, Masako Nozawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and Ryo Horikawa may attract general critical and audience acclaim for their work, and certainly even get their occasional share of weird, offputtingly awkward fan moments like any other celebrity, major or minor, does: but fanboys/fangirls aren't exactly collectively swooning over them as if they're the newest hot boy band or a celebrity heartthrob that just rolled in (so far as I've generally been aware anyway: if I'm mistaken on that, please don't correct me, as I'd rather go on blissfully not knowing about fans, male or female, who fap to Joji Yanami's pictures :P ).

Its more in English VA work (both general animation as well as anime dubbing) where this sort of "throwing one's panties on the stage" fervor seems to much more broadly take hold over certain swathes of general hardcore Otaku fandom (both among guys AND girls) and help further drive them into an overall "creepy personality cult" mode.

Put it this way: no one at most cons has miniature backpack shrines (akin to that of a 12 year old One Direction fan) dedicated to the likes of people like Akio Otsuka or Toshio Furukawa. Guys like Blum and Bosch on the other hand...
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:I'm not talking about "general praise for their voicework": I'm talking about out and out "celebrity crush" levels of idolization and obsessive fixation. And while that sort of fixation isn't ALTOGETHER unheard of among Japanese Seiyu by ANY stretch whatsoever, to my knowledge it generally is more common with (typically, but not exclusively, female) examples like Aina Kosuda, Kaori Ishihara, and back in the day Megumi Hayashibara: seiyuu who, outside of their voicework, are also (sometimes even MORE prominently) known for their work as models and "idol singers" (a Japanese entertainment industry niche which is basically all but tailor-made for attracting weird, creepy stalker-types).

But folks like Norio Wakamoto, Ryusei Nakao, Masako Nozawa, Mayumi Tanaka, and Ryo Horikawa may attract general critical and audience acclaim for their work, and certainly even get their occasional share of weird, offputtingly awkward fan moments like any other celebrity, major or minor, does: but fanboys/fangirls aren't exactly collectively swooning over them as if they're the newest hot boy band or a celebrity heartthrob that just rolled in (so far as I've generally been aware anyway: if I'm mistaken on that, please don't correct me, as I'd rather go on blissfully not knowing about fans, male or female, who fap to Joji Yanami's pictures :P ).

Its more in English VA work (both general animation as well as anime dubbing) where this sort of "throwing one's panties on the stage" fervor seems to much more broadly take hold over certain swathes of general hardcore Otaku fandom (both among guys AND girls) and help further drive them into an overall "creepy personality cult" mode.

Put it this way: no one at most cons has miniature backpack shrines (akin to that of a 12 year old One Direction fan) dedicated to the likes of people like Akio Otsuka or Toshio Furukawa. Guys like Blum and Bosch on the other hand...
Ahhh, if we're talking just that level of, er, 'fandom' then...you might have a point then. And I think we could all go without that mental image in regards to Yanami. :shock:

As far as that kind of thing goes, I suppose a big part of it might have to do with the general nerdiness level of people who tend to be into anime or cartoons well enough to know the names of the people who provide the voices. That's not everyone of course, but for a great contingency of them, when they see or hear from the people who make the things they love, they feel like there's a connection there, and some of them do end up taking it way too far - again, same as with any fandom with out of control people.

That and, believe it or not, there are actually some pretty attractive voice actors out there too. So I could definitely see some fans having a 'crush 'on one of them, just hopefully not taking it to that cult level that you speak of. Hell, I used to have a light crush on Laura Bailey myself. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 pm

I came across a good comment on another board about the... mess, that discussion of this has devolved to.

"I feel like you're reacting like this?

That is, we can completely consistently demand plausible evidence of wrongdoing before ostracising, firing, and otherwise destroying people accused of wrongdoing, especially for sexual assault, while also admitting that in this case that standard of evidence has clearly been met. The sheer number of similar independent accusations combined with documentary evidence thereof seems enough to establish Mignona's probable guilt.

You should not let reasonable skepticism of unsupported accusations drag you along to the point of excessive skepticism of supported accusations. It's easy. In this case, the evidence is sufficient. What more is necessary?"
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 pm

will all of his roles b recasted n will a redub b mandatory?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 pm

The obsession that fans have with Japanese voice actors can be so extreme that they actually fantasize about them being married to them, and when their favorite Japanese VA announces that they're dating or have married another VA, they'll send death threats to the latter.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 pm

Godgoku95 wrote:will all of his roles b recasted n will a redub b mandatory?
Recast almost most definitely.

Redub? Funimation is incredibly lazy about that shit so I doubt they’ll bother.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:31 pm

so whats gonna happen to the new Broly film? a delayed release n redub?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

On the one hand Broly doesn't have many lines, but on the other hand he's the main character with A LOT of yelling in that movie.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

It's more to do with money than laziness really, but yeah - at the very least, all of the old movies and series featuring Vic (both Dragon Ball and otherwise) are still going to retain him. For the new movie, there's a minute chance they might re-dub, but I highly doubt that either. It'll be more of a case of moving forward his roles will be gone.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:00 am

I would laugh my ass off if they re-dubbed Movie 10.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am

I mean, pretty much everything before Kai needs some redubbing done. And debatably some stuff after it.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:But anime/cartoon voice actors? Specifically English ones? Nope: totally fucking mystified on that one.
Why exactly would that be any weirder than the praise heaped upon seiyuu in anime and video games? Whether one likes dubs or not, there's nothing any weirder with being a fan of voice actors in any language. Some people take it too far of course, but that's true with any sort of fandom.
I'm not talking about "general praise for their voicework": I'm talking about out and out "celebrity crush" levels of idolization and obsessive fixation. And while that sort of fixation isn't ALTOGETHER unheard of among Japanese Seiyu by ANY stretch whatsoever, to my knowledge it generally is more common with very young and (typically, but not exclusively) female examples like Aina Kosuda, Kaori Ishihara, and back in the day Megumi Hayashibara: seiyuu who, outside of their voicework, are also (sometimes even MORE prominently) known for their work as models and "idol singers" (a Japanese entertainment industry niche which is basically all but tailor-made for attracting weird, creepy stalker-types).

Bruh, there are people out there who marry BUILDINGS AND LANDMARKS.
I would be PLEASANTLY surprised if there were not sick, demented freaks who have a Joji Yanami fetish and use pictures to pleasure themselves.
Sadly, we do not live in that world.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:19 am

Shitting on otherwise harmless fetishes is veering off topic.

I should check to see if Star Trek fandom has heard about Vignogna and Taberkorn.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am

JulieYBM wrote:Shitting on otherwise harmless fetishes is veering off topic.

I should check to see if Star Trek fandom has heard about Vignogna and Taberkorn.
They probably have: Rooster Teeth dropping him was enough to get an article on IGN about it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:26 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:Funimation is starting to make changes it seems.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... st/.143026
They cant telll what the charged. Kissing on the cheek? Hugging?. For that they gonna destroy him?
LMAO. People, Vic will be just fine in the long term. Relax. Yeah, he’s taking a few hits now (understandably), but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s voice acting again in a couple years after laying low for awhile. Look at Mel Gibson, there’s explicit evidence that he’s a wife beating, racist, anti-semetite that really really REALLY loves blow jobs. He then went on to direct an academy award winning film. Hell, Louis CK and the allegations are FAR more troublesome than Vic’s yet he’s back at doing stand up after barely a year.

So yeah, I wouldn’t be so dramatic.
And yet Louis came under heavy fire & derision. He's not touring right now, he's just doing some nights at a club or 2 in NYC. He's been criticized for coming out to do more stand-up a bit too quickly & the subject matter of his jokes are really not going well, since he chose to make fun of the Parkland survivors. I love Louis' comedy & style, but to be honest, that's NOT how he should've handled a comeback whatsoever.
Zinnia wrote:This is different. If they replace him as Broly, then the new actor is here to stay. Just like they didn't bring Linda Young back as Frieza or Stephanie Nadolny as Kid Goku/Gohan.
I mean, would he? Here's the thing. We don't know if they're going to replace him. For all we know, they're just gonna ghost him & just keep him to the few recurring roles he has with them. And, even then, Linda Young was replaced only as Frieza & only due to not being able to talk fast enough to keep up with the pace of Kai's scripts & Nadolny was only replaced due to creative differences with how she should voice Gohan. Brad Jackson was also replaced as Oolong for Kai due to availability issues during that time, but has been back most of the time since Battle of Gods' dub was recorded. After this movie, unless there's an extended version that'll add more scenes with Broly (which, Toei might do, since BOG & RF got those for their later TV airings, as well as what I've heard of there being scenes that felt like they were cut short a bit), or if the arc's adapted into more episodes of Super (which I hope not, since Super's adaptations of BOG & RF, while nice, weren't really needed, nor did they tell the stories that much differently than said movies) Vic's only gonna be called back for future video games. Hell, he's probably already recorded for Super's Broly in FighterZ, so it's not like FUNi, or Bandai, are gonna be under constant fire for still having him in the cast when he barely gets work as Broly as-is, y'know?
Last edited by Scsigs on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 am

I messaged Vic a few hours ago and replied that he wants to make amends with Monica for what he did.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 am

The Patrolman wrote:I messaged Vic a few hours ago and replied that he wants to make amends with Monica for what he did.
There you go. Some people legitimately don't know they've done something wrong until they're confronted about it. I'm betting Vic's looking into making amends with the people he's worked with as we speak who he knows he's wronged in some way that he can easily contact. He's already issued a few public apologies, so that's the next step.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs