Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:55 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:34 am
Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 am Faulconer's misfit behavior and lawsuit are entirely different from Vic's, being closer to something like Ken Penders or Mike Love, in that he made it about the copyright over ""his"" work (thankfully, his music wasn't very good and replacing music in anime dubs is a horrible practice, so most of this side of the fandom doesn't care anyway). Just because a lawsuit happened with Funimation in the past does not predict anything about a completely different issue.
god mike love is just the worst, lmao.
Wait.....Mike Love of the Beach Boys did anime music?
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm

No he sued the band by essentially claiming just about everything they did as his own. Which is why I compared him and Penders (literally that but for dumb 90s Sonic comics) with Faulconer, though at least Faulconer did in fact own his own company that made the music, so I blame him less.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm No he sued the band by essentially claiming just about everything they did as his own. Which is why I compared him and Penders (literally that but for dumb 90s Sonic comics) with Faulconer, though at least Faulconer did in fact own his own company that made the music, so I blame him less.
Ah, I misread the post. My mistake

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:28 am So Vic is officially going to the courts?

I can only hope this will settle the issue definitively and the mud slinging and shitposting will end.
Things will quiet down, eventually, but sadly I don't think it will ever go away 100%, and no matter how it falls, things are only going to get even uglier immediately after.

If Vic loses, then his contingency of supporters are going to cry foul even louder and probably even try to get it overturned, and hurl even worse threats and insults at his accusers.

If Vic wins, then it's potentially going to do a lot of damage not only to the society surrounding voice over, it's only going to make people against Vic (not all, but some) go too far in their own crusades, as well as the bleating from Vic's side getting louder and stoking the flames all the higher. This is the worst case scenario, on just about every level one can think of, though even if it comes to this, I guarantee you Vic still won't get hired back.

If it all get settled out of court for a lesser sum, then things will more or less stay the same, but both sides will hurl accusations at the other about what the settling really "means".

For my own part, I'm wondering if it won't get settled out of court and Vic gets paid a pittance (so to speak) of what he's seeking, more so just to get the entire deal over with rather than them really expecting to lose in court (though that could very easily be a concern too). At this point, I'm convinced that's all VIc is really after, and if he happens to win big, then all the better. Because at least in-so-far as Texas goes, his voice over career is over. He's not getting his reputation back to what it was, whether he wins or not. The damage is done. Literally the only thing he has to gain at this point is creating more chaos and pain (because if he's truly as dark as things are painted, then that type of person would 100% thrive on lashing out as everything burns around them), and whatever money he can grab out of the ordeal.
All he wants is his job back. That’s all.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

The thing is even if he's somehow been proven to be in the right this entire time, he's created such a colossal rift with his former employer and all of his ex-coworkers, he's still never getting work from FUNimation (or Rooster Teeth) again.

nitwit

Post by nitwit » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:02 pm

I guess we all gonna sue Vic for ruining people's lives. How can things go back to normal?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm All he wants is his job back. That’s all.
If only.
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 am Oh man if you think even if he loses the lawsuit there won't always be someone commenting on everything FUNimation posts with some kind of Vic hashtag or Broly gif, you don't know the internet.
That's what I was saying, just because Vic will be found innocent doesn't at ALL mean this will stop. There'll be people claiming the courts came to the wrong conclusion, it may be taken to a higher level in the courts (don't know the proper term for that), not to mention all the #StandWithVic folks will say the court system is corrupt or Rial paid "the system" off... it won't end.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm The thing is even if he's somehow been proven to be in the right this entire time, he's created such a colossal rift with his former employer and all of his ex-coworkers, he's still never getting work from FUNimation (or Rooster Teeth) again.
So Broly will be getting a new English Voice Actor?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 pm
Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm All he wants is his job back. That’s all.
If only.
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 am Oh man if you think even if he loses the lawsuit there won't always be someone commenting on everything FUNimation posts with some kind of Vic hashtag or Broly gif, you don't know the internet.
That's what I was saying, just because Vic will be found innocent doesn't at ALL mean this will stop. There'll be people claiming the courts came to the wrong conclusion, it may be taken to a higher level in the courts (don't know the proper term for that), not to mention all the #StandWithVic folks will say the court system is corrupt or Rial paid "the system" off... it won't end.
I believe the term is "appealed".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm The thing is even if he's somehow been proven to be in the right this entire time, he's created such a colossal rift with his former employer and all of his ex-coworkers, he's still never getting work from FUNimation (or Rooster Teeth) again.
Absolutely, it's all but certain that's what's going to happen. Vic's not getting his job back no matter what happens at this point.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Absolutely, it's all but certain that's what's going to happen. Vic's not getting his job back no matter what happens at this point.
And he will never be accepted by the community. He will be the professor snape of voice actors in dragon ball. Fans will be shouting at him “HOW DARE YOU STAND WHERE HE STOOD!!!!!” He will be the dawn summers of the cast. The Wesley crusher. The jake Lloyd as anakin skywalker. Forever, an outcast to the viewing audience.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

And he will never be accepted by the community. He will be the professor snape of voice actors in dragon ball. Fans will be shouting at him “HOW DARE YOU STAND WHERE HE STOOD!!!!!” He will be the dawn summers of the cast. The Wesley crusher. The jake Lloyd as anakin skywalker. Forever, an outcast to the viewing audience.
So what, Broly is supposed to stay mute in US version now if he reappears? Dude, they have to do something. I wasn't here for Linda Young or Nadolny incidents, but mostly everyone accepted their replacements.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:59 pm So Broly will be getting a new English Voice Actor?
Unless its Sabat, I guess.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Maybe to a small but vocal subset of fans, but considering that the English dub has had several recasts over the years, it'll probably be dealt with in the same way people dealt with the transition from the Ocean to the inhouse funi cast and then to the replacements for Bulma, Gohan, and others.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm
He’d be the worst one. That would cause more conspiracy theories to be made as to why this all happened.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:05 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm
Mooreish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm And he will never be accepted by the community. He will be the professor snape of voice actors in dragon ball. Fans will be shouting at him “HOW DARE YOU STAND WHERE HE STOOD!!!!!” He will be the dawn summers of the cast. The Wesley crusher. The jake Lloyd as anakin skywalker. Forever, an outcast to the viewing audience.
He’d be the worst one. That would cause more conspiracy theories to be made as to why this all happened.
...Sabat wearing a Broly sock puppet.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

That all a joke, too?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:11 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:26 am Literally the only similarity is that it's a lawsuit. That is absolutely meaningless in predicting or hoping for the outcome of this situation. A guy being fired over sexual harassment and a guy trying to claim his company's music for an outdated and poor practice in a 90s anime dub are not comparable.

And FYI, this forum is old, and it's community of hardcore fans is even older. Hardcore fandom for the original version of the series has been online longer than any other kind of Dragon Ball fandom, and the bad practices of the old localizations were derided over even then. You need to understand that purism and accuracy is an incredibly important thing to these people, and the old English dubs are about as far away from that as you can get.
It does madder about the hold what the "original version" it about what people like what people are entitle to there own opinion you make like there other score but other like the Bruce because it sound better it fit better with a fighting show. Localizations still happen to this day with yu-gi-oh it not a big deal. As for the lawsuit being "meaningless" you do know Bruce would mostly have won had that not settle right? Have you even read the the file log behind the case? In term of the case being different or the same is not the point. Also Bruce in 2003 when that where still doing English score at the time so no it was not outdated. And as I note it still done today just not in as many show. Mostly only kids show for the most part.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Uh don't you mean that made a rift on him? Also I could see Rooster Teeth rehiring since that not that they big as FUNimation and that just put out a page hiring lawyer for them. Which tell me that where not even ready for lawsuit. But it anyone guess at this point.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Zinnia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

So what, Broly is supposed to stay mute in US version now if he reappears? Dude, they have to do something. I wasn't here for Linda Young or Nadolny incidents, but mostly everyone accepted their replacements.
Lol no that did not. Most people wish and Nadolny to come back as Kid Goku and Kid Goham myself as well she does the voice much better.
Last edited by Gokuisasuperhero on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.