Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:While this thread's still up, I thought I'd drop a thought in regards to the idea of redubbing the character of Broly for home video...

Do Funi want this guy to be the face of their flagship product for the next few months? And when they bring in a new guy, do they want to have him live in the shadow of Mignogna's work, probably even voicematching him so as to keep consistency with the movie? Or would it be better to get someone else in to redub for the DVDs/BDs, and voice the character permanently from then on, for this new era of our new Broly?
It also sucks because he did IMO the only good English version of Dragon Soul.
And the only English version of Dan Dan Kokoro Hikarete'ku.
Very true, although I personally prefer the Japanese version for better instrumentation (and being Japanese it can get away with its lyrical content a lot better than the English one!). The Japanese version I like better than the FUNi version of Mystical Adventure, which is saying something because I LOVE that intro.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:"Innocent until proven guilty."

We literally have dozens of pictures of Vic doing exactly what people were uncomfortable with him doing.

Sweet actual Christ.
Well, pictures of him being inconvenient, pictures of him being cloggy, pictures of him being a jerk with bad behavior.

But having bad behavior is different of being a rapist. The pictures of him that ANN used don't show any criminal act actually.

What he did, until now, doesnt constitute "sexual assault". He embarassed and left uncomfortable a lot of people and I'm even obligated to agree with that, because it's true, but he did not raped or sexually violated anyone until now as some people implying he did.

To be clear, I'm not defending Mignogna, as I said before, I'm defending skepticism. Yeah, he has a lot of negative characterists, but people are now implying that he deserves to be in jail or something like that and that he is a rapist, with no real proof (until now) that he really raped someone.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:What he did, until now, doesnt constitute "sexual assault".
As has been stated countless times, for those of you that are still hung up on legal/dictionary definitions of things as some kind of bizarre "defense" or "balanced/nuanced/fair" view, yes he has absolutely committed "sexual assault" by your own standards period end of line do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollars.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: It also sucks because he did IMO the only good English version of Dragon Soul.
Very true, although I personally prefer the Japanese version for better instrumentation (and being Japanese it can get away with its lyrical content a lot better than the English one!). The Japanese version I like better than the FUNi version of Mystical Adventure, which is saying something because I LOVE that intro.
Agreed, on all counts.

Honestly, while I do enjoy a lot of English dub songs -- Romantic Ageru Yo's dub version is simply beautiful -- the Japanese versions often are better, if only for the fact the dub version always had to re-record instrumentation. (Well... I say "Always had to"... Only when they got their materials from Toei, who always threw out this stuff; AB Groupe still had copies of at least some of the original instrumentals, and since Westwood media got their materials for their dubs from AB Groupe starting from the end of Z, Blue Water's GT dub OP used the original instrumental, and the ED was literally just the original instrumental, albeit cut down slightly)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: I'm defending skepticism.
You're not listening.

There is...no skepticism.

He did what he's being accused of. It's in pictures. He admitted to it.

You're not defending anything.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:What he did, until now, doesnt constitute "sexual assault".
As has been stated countless times, for those of you that are still hung up on legal/dictionary definitions of things as some kind of bizarre "defense" or "balanced/nuanced/fair" view, yes he has absolutely committed "sexual assault" by your own standards period end of line do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollars.
Mock as you want, but it's a fair and balanced analysis. And I'm sorry, but hugs aren't sexual assault. He sittin on Neil Kaplan is innapropriate, but is not a sexual assault too. Hugging a girl without permission is creep too, but does not makes him as a factual rapist.

Yeah, until now, there is no proof that Vic is a rapist. He is a jerk and he violates personal space of other people without permission, but that doesn't constitute sexual assault. And there is nothing of bizarre in this opinion.
Cursed Lemon wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote: I'm defending skepticism.
You're not listening.

There is...no skepticism.

He did what he's being accused of. It's in pictures. He admitted to it.

You're not defending anything.
I've saw commentaries of people saying that he is a rapist and should be in jail. That version of this entire stuff is what I'm talking about.
He is a jerk, but not a criminal until now. That is the truth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:49 pm

I am warmed to see a display of this community's character. Gender dysphoria is a major bitch but I am trying to create the person I want to be.

Once Mike figures out how to change my name I'm going to be so happy.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:I've saw commentaries of people saying that he is a rapist and should be in jail.
No. You haven't.

Because if you search this thread for the word "rapist", you and Doctor are the only ones who bring it up.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 pm

IM21 wrote:with all the #metoo movement, toxic masculinity and stupid gillette commercials portraying the men bad I don't really think it's that absurd.
In once more engaging in our favorite pastime "Explaining Ludicrously Simple Shit That Shouldn't NEED Explaining, But Sadly Does", I'm going to break this bit of nonsense down point by point:

1) The #MeToo movement is about finally dealing with long-institutionalized and swept-under-the-rug sexual harassment, assault, and intimidation/coercion that, as someone who's actually been living in the real world and not in some self-isolated and introverted Escapist Fantasy Playland for Manchildren for the past 30+ years now, I can confirm with 110% stone-cold certainty (yes, even as a cis hetero male) is ABSOLUTELY a very, very real thing that women in professional (and private) spaces have been dealing with for far, far longer than I've been alive.

If you are:

a) Not a rapist
b) Not a serial sexual harasser/assaulter
c) Not routinely a creep to women you meet out in the world
d) Not a person who is in a position of professional power and authority who abuses that authority to pressure or force sexual favors from women who work under you
or e) Not someone who is somewhere deep down aspiring to be any of those things above

Then guess what? #MeToo does NOT in ANY which way apply to you, AT ALL. If you're not any of A through E on that list, then the odds of you being "falsely accused of rape", due to #MeToo or whatever else, are downright microscopic. Take it from someone who has been a perfectly average single guy navigating the dating scene for longer than most folks here have been teens or young adults: if you're not an absolute fucking creeper to women (and don't think somewhere deep down that you might HAVE to be in order to have sex with them) you can do all the dating and have all the bedroom antics you like (so long of course as the other participant are totally consenting adults of course) without hardly anything relating to #MeToo to concern yourself with.

#MeToo isn't some "assault on men perpetrated by out-of-control feminists" or whatever nonsensical crap various online talking heads might've been feeding you: #MeToo is a LONG overdue reckoning where a particular type of sleazy predators - who have genuinely been getting away with it routinely even in the modern era due to a combination of fucked up power dynamics in our various professional institutions as well as some equally fucked up leftover cultural baggage dating back centuries - are at long last FINALLY being called out on it and confronted directly and seeing some long-deserved and long-overdue consequences for the hurt they've done.

2) Toxic Masculinity is a term that has a VERY specific definition. Contrary to how many have mischaracterized and misleadingly framed it (both intentionally and unintentionally), all "Toxic Masculinity" refers to are a set of behavioral patterns and unconscious assumptions/biases that SOME, not ALL, but SOME subset of men throughout society have been raised with and have blindly just accepted as "the norm" without ever really stopping to think about or analyze it. Toxic Masculinity DOES NOT refer to "Masculinity" IN AND OF ITSELF, which is what a LOT of idiots on the internet have been assuming it means. Toxic Masculinity is a TYPE of "Masculinity", a subset, something to isolate and SEPARATE from harmless, plain, benign masculinity.

Again, take it from someone who has known a TON of exceedingly "stereotypically masculine" dudes throughout his life (and from someone who, to one extent or another, IS kind of one on some level): no one, fucking NO ONE is coming after you if you're simply just into hockey, boxing, and UFC, if you drink (a reasonable amount of) beer, watch a lot of stupid action movies, wear a shit ton of flannel and workboots, listen to Motorhead at full blast, or if you like to date around, casually flirt with women (within contexts and circumstances where it makes sense and is actually fucking appropriate to do so), and "play the field" so to speak (so long as you're doing it honestly, respectfully, and non-forcefully at least: this requires something called "charm", "charisma" and "social skills" - hit up Merriam Webster for any additional help with those potentially foreign terms), etc.

Again, take it from a guy who is a white, heterosexual man who is more or less guilty of ALL of those things I just listed: no one in the real world gives the slightest sliver of two flying fucks about you or any other guy engaging in ANY of that stuff, and NOTHING like that is what most any of these discussions of Toxic Masculinity are actually all about.

Toxic Masculinity is something to be contrasted with just plain 'ol Masculinity: Toxic Masculinity refers to men who are abusive, men who feel that they need someone (usually a woman) who is weaker or "under" them to lord over and treat as a lesser, men who assume as a matter of "the natural order of things" that THEY are inherently entitled to whatever they like in certain areas of life and are inherently better-than x-category of person simply because they have a penis (or are white, or are rich, or whatever the fuck, take your pick).

Toxic Masculinity refers to the types of guys who think that slapping women who are perfect strangers on the ass, calling them gross, demeaning names, flashing them dick-pics at the drop of a hat, getting completely wasted and slobbering all over them - behavior that has, generally speaking, NEVER been "ok" really - that these are fundamentally endearing traits rather than dumb, gross, and obnoxious (at best), and that anyone who might see them as anything other than a sex god is somehow inherently a slut, a prude, a whore, a lesbian (who secretly wants it), a beta male, a soyboy, a white knight, or whatever.

Toxic Masculinity, simply put, is in many respects just just a fancier term for "a Fratbro Douchewad" (or a pathetic wannabe sycophant of one) to one extent/extreme or another: be it overt or covert. Sometimes its plain as day obvious shit that anyone can spot a mile away: other times though (far more often generally), its *much* more subtle and insidious (guys who think and act like women are unable to speak up for themselves or inherently assume up front that women are deceitful or lying to them, what have you).

The more subtle stuff can sometimes be the more tricky or infuriating for some some guys to wrestle with: but even that stuff honestly isn't that hard or difficult to grasp ultimately, and once again simply boils down to "just treat women as human beings, no different than you would anyone else, guy or girl". If that gets to be complicated or frustrating for you and you find yourself getting tripped up with it a lot, then guess what? It might just be possible that you DO have some unconscious, unexamined, and undealt with biases and assumptive prejudices about women after all that you've never taken the time to really sit down and self-reflect on.

They may not even necessarily be all that altogether terrible or obvious in the grand scheme of things, and could just be minor, simple little things you just never thought about much before (how you talk to certain people in your life, the assumptions you make in the back of your head about various people, etc.): not ALL of this stuff necessarily means that you're the embodiment of Don Draper and you need to be sent in a corner and publicly shamed for being a vile, sexist misogynist. It could simply be little, minor life things where you're like "You know what? I could do better with this going forward." and move on from there. As with anything else, these things can be, and often are, VASTLY proportional.

And its right there at around this exact point where a lot of guys then get SUPER defensive and angry and start raging on about "feminism gone out of control" and whatnot. Because in most people's minds, god for-fucking-bid they EVER have to confront or deal with the possibility that THEY just might be the problem (however big or small) after all. In most people's minds, to one extent or another, we're ALL the Big Central Hero of the great big movie that is our lives: the idea that we might just be some other asshole (or worse yet, the villain) in someone else's narrative is CRUSHING for a lot of people to actually deal with and confront.

Basically to boil it all down: if you're not abusive, demeaning, belittling, disrespectful, or sexually gross towards women (in whatever big or small ways, as life isn't always so broadly cartoonish), then guess what? Odds are, you're not an example of "Toxic Masculinity" and, like with #MeToo, this shit isn't about YOU necessarily. And if you're SO adamant that it IS talking about you and are SO passionately hyper defensive about it: you might just be an example of "thou doth protest too much" and don't want to face up to some ugly truths about yourself.

And finally there's 3) If you're also someone who otherwise DOESN'T fit the "Toxic Masculinity" descriptor, but still sees this type of shit going on around you and yet simply passively stands by and does nothing about it? That type of inaction also helps contribute to the overall cultural impact of Toxic Masculinity. Thus - situation permitting obviously - you maybe should think more about actually taking some action and stepping up (wherever or however you can anyway) and telling the other person doing this type of shit that this crap isn't welcome and is uncalled for.

Which is ultimately ALL that that stupid fucking Gillette commercial was trying to get across: be decent to people, don't bully or abuse, don't INSTILL bullying or abusive behavior in others, and when you see another guy acting like a fucking asshole... call him out as a fucking asshole. Not hard, not complicated. 100% "after school special" shit. Just be a decent, thoughtful, and respectful dude: the end.

If you can look at things like that, if you can look out at the world around you and still find reasons to get angry, hostile, defensive, petty, or upset whenever anyone in life or anything in media might dare to challenge you to "look inward" or "be a better person" or "listen more to the perspectives of others" or "help out or defend those in need more often"... you might just be EXACTLY the type of person who needs to hear that advice way more often after all. You might just be someone who is in dire, dire need of sitting down for a moment and doing some SERIOUS introspection and life re-assessment.

Because the people who are actually living that advice, at least generally speaking, they don't freak fuck out and get all "How DARE you!" defensive whenever they hear it just being said around them. They just nod and go "yep, got it" and move on with their lives.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:27 pm

^Arguably the worst thing about the Gilette commercial is that it’s a preachy message from a company that sales razors...and evidently a company that charges more for female products but that’s a whole nother topic.

The message itself is harmless and I have no clue why so many men (and women) took it as an attack on men. The commercial is pretty obviously saying men can be better than society is telling them they can be and it somehow got miscontrued as a man-hating message?

Again I certainly don’t think a company selling a product had any business delivering any kind of moral message (regardless if I agree with it or not) but my God is the take away from the general public just baffling...

Robo4900 wrote:[

(There was the Blue Water version, but it had entirely different vocal melodies, unrelated lyrics, and was cut down a bit)

I honestly couldn’t stand the Funi version of Dan Dan Kokoro. It sounds like an awkwardly fan translated version of the Japanese song rather than a proper adaptation like Mystic Adventure and I’ll Give You Romance.

The Blue Water version may be more of a liberal adaptation of the song but it works waaay better

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:While this thread's still up, I thought I'd drop a thought in regards to the idea of redubbing the character of Broly for home video...

Do Funi want this guy to be the face of their flagship product for the next few months? And when they bring in a new guy, do they want to have him live in the shadow of Mignogna's work, probably even voicematching him so as to keep consistency with the movie? Or would it be better to get someone else in to redub for the DVDs/BDs, and voice the character permanently from then on, for this new era of our new Broly?
Something actually relating to DB on this thread, what? But being serious, each day this has gone on things have gotten worse and I feel that re-dubbing him for HV is the best course of action, Mills was a great back up to Ayres and has now made the role his by being familiar but different at the same time but when he started being back up to Ayres he was very similar so assume the new VA if they were to replace Vic would probably be similar to Vic's performance.

I feel like FUNi haven't made a statement because they might want to leave the door open wheras a statement will probably close any door of possibility of him voicing for them again.

If he does get replaced at least we'll have the original leak of Broly with his performance in. If it's true Vic wasn't keen on doing Broly anymore then that means Sabat might have had a back up in mind anyway. I just hope this doesn't delay the planned HV release.

Personally I mean it sucks to see him get replaced but the accounts of not only fans but others VA's make it hard to feel sorry for him.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:^Arguably the worst thing about the Gilette commercial is that it’s a preachy message from a company that sales razors...and evidently a company that charges more for female products but that’s a whole nother topic.

The message itself is harmless and I have no clue why so many men (and women) took it as an attack on men. The commercial is pretty obviously saying men can be better than society is telling them they can be and it somehow got miscontrued as a man-hating message?

Again I certainly don’t think a company selling a product had any business delivering any kind of moral message (regardless if I agree with it or not) but my God is the take away from the general public just baffling...

Robo4900 wrote:[

(There was the Blue Water version, but it had entirely different vocal melodies, unrelated lyrics, and was cut down a bit)

I honestly couldn’t stand the Funi version of Dan Dan Kokoro. It sounds like an awkwardly fan translated version of the Japanese song rather than a proper adaptation like Mystic Adventure and I’ll Give You Romance.

The Blue Water version may be more of a liberal adaptation of the song but it works waaay better
As an ad school student, it's a kinda complicated deal and pretty much a two-way street: the people who actually came up with the commercial and wrote, produced, etc. absolutely wanted to present an important message with *mostly* non-cynical motives, which Gillette's marketing dummies then saw as "Nice, what a great way to increase our sales through PR!" tl;dr: advertising creatives try to promote social change and convinces a company that it'll be good for their wallets.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:52 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Mock as you want, but it's a fair and balanced analysis. And I'm sorry, but hugs aren't sexual assault. He sittin on Neil Kaplan is innapropriate, but is not a sexual assault too. Hugging a girl without permission is creep too, but does not makes him as a factual rapist.

Yeah, until now, there is no proof that Vic is a rapist. He is a jerk and he violates personal space of other people without permission, but that doesn't constitute sexual assault. And there is nothing of bizarre in this opinion.
You're misinterpreting the legal definition of sexual assault. In addition to being "an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent", it also includes sexual harassment and, pertinent to this conversation, groping. Groping is more than "grabbing a tit", it can also mean just touching somebody in an uncomfortable way.

You don't have to be a racist to partake in sexual assault, is what we're saying.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If it's true Vic wasn't keen on doing Broly anymore then that means Sabat might have had a back up in mind anyway. I just hope this doesn't delay the planned HV release.
At the very least FUNimation has history with hiring sound-a-likes!
Robo4900 wrote:Honestly, while I do enjoy a lot of English dub songs -- Romantic Ageru Yo's dub version is simply beautiful -- the Japanese versions often are better, if only for the fact the dub version always had to re-record instrumentation.
One of my fondest childhood memories is actually the end to every Dragon Ball episode in the credits, where the song wraps up and we get the little guitar riff at the end with the final shot of the Capsule House, at night, with the shooting star. Since the timeslot it was on meant DB finished at 9pm, it very much felt like a "thank you goodnight" moment, like switching the light off before going to sleep.

I prefer the dub Mystical Adventure as (aside from the singing working quite well for me) its instrumentation feels more modern and fits the overall world of Dragon Ball a bit better, although I do recognize that the original is of course leaning HARD into the ancient China aspect of the setting. I'll tell ya though, when I first listened to it I genuinely thought they were using cheap MIDI samples, haha.
majinwarman wrote:I deleted my last post because I felt I was spreading misinformation on my stance. So, I decided to go back through the evidence and really think about it. As a man who knew a person who was wrongly accused of a similar crime and was eventually cleared of the crime, it makes it hard for me to make a unbias view. So, I decided to take a step back and really think about. I went back and look through YouTube and rewatch some of Vic's panels. I saw his behavior there with young women there really scary. I think there is a very good chance Vic is guilty. I can't see that his behavior in those panels I saw doesn't correlate with the stories in the reporting. So, I think that Vic should be given a fair punishment for his crime. While he may not be formally charged for the crime, I think he should be barred from voice acting. I think that the roles he currently has should be recasted especially if Broly returns in Super. I just hope that Funimation does soon though I think that they may not do that. I just that the victims get the justice and help they need. I hope that I have clearly talked about my stance and hope everyone doesn't hold me for my pervious post.
Totally forgot about this post, but I do want to commend majinwarman for taking a second look at this issue and reconsidering his stance on it. Takes bravery and guts to do something like that.
Last edited by KBABZ on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Rape is specifically forced sexual intercourse, sexual assault is a much wider definition which most definitely does cover everything we've seen Vic accused of and proven.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Shaddy wrote:Rape is specifically forced sexual intercourse, sexual assault is a much wider definition which most definitely does cover everything we've seen Vic accused of and proven.
Yep. From the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, sexual assault is "unwanted sexual contact that stops short of rape or attempted rape".

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 pm

So uh, dunno if y'all are following Monia Rial on Twitter but:

https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/1093275331929296897

Monica Rial
‏Verified account @Rialisms
36m36 minutes ago

Dropping in to say this: stop harassing my friends and colleagues. You want the truth? IT HAPPENED TO ME! I had hoped it wouldn’t come to this but here we are. I don’t owe you anything but if it’ll stop it from happening to someone else, then so be it.

Monica Rial
34m34 minutes ago

I will tell you everything when I’m ready to do so. Please understand that this is difficult for me, my friends, and my loved ones.
33 replies 31 retweets 395 likes

Replying to @BombasticIan @MarcoUrtiz

I am 100% talking about Vic Mignogna. This has nothing to do with him being inappropriate with fans.

Last edited by jjgp1112 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:So uh, dunno if y'all are following Minca Rial on Twitter but:

Monica Rial
36m36 minutes ago

Dropping in to say this: stop harassing my friends and colleagues. You want the truth? IT HAPPENED TO ME! I had hoped it wouldn’t come to this but here we are. I don’t owe you anything but if it’ll stop it from happening to someone else, then so be it.

Monica Rial
34m34 minutes ago

I will tell you everything when I’m ready to do so. Please understand that this is difficult for me, my friends, and my loved ones.

I am 100% talking about Vic Mignogna. This has nothing to do with him being inappropriate with fans.

Can’t wait for certain members on this forum to insinuate Miss Rial is lying...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Can’t wait for certain members on this forum to insinuate Miss Rial is lying...
I was more thinking "that also doesn't count as evidence".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I honestly couldn’t stand the Funi version of Dan Dan Kokoro. It sounds like an awkwardly fan translated version of the Japanese song rather than a proper adaptation like Mystic Adventure and I’ll Give You Romance.

That's fair.

TBH, I do prefer the BW version, and I see what you mean about the fan translation comparison. Still, I do enjoy it... Well, I did. Not sure I really can anymore.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Something actually relating to DB on this thread, what? But being serious, each day this has gone on things have gotten worse and I feel that re-dubbing him for HV is the best course of action, Mills was a great back up to Ayres and has now made the role his by being familiar but different at the same time but when he started being back up to Ayres he was very similar so assume the new VA if they were to replace Vic would probably be similar to Vic's performance.

I feel like FUNi haven't made a statement because they might want to leave the door open wheras a statement will probably close any door of possibility of him voicing for them again.

If he does get replaced at least we'll have the original leak of Broly with his performance in. If it's true Vic wasn't keen on doing Broly anymore then that means Sabat might have had a back up in mind anyway. I just hope this doesn't delay the planned HV release.

Personally I mean it sucks to see him get replaced but the accounts of not only fans but others VA's make it hard to feel sorry for him.
I think if they do go the redub route, they won't be going for an outright voicematch, but they'll be asking for a similar-ish take.
KBABZ wrote:One of my fondest childhood memories is actually the end to every Dragon Ball episode in the credits, where the song wraps up and we get the little guitar riff at the end with the final shot of the Capsule House, at night, with the shooting star. Since the timeslot it was on meant DB finished at 9pm, it very much felt like a "thank you goodnight" moment, like switching the light off before going to sleep.
It's a delightful closing, and it really does give that kind of feel. :)
KBABZ wrote:I prefer the dub Mystical Adventure as (aside from the singing working quite well for me) its instrumentation feels more modern and fits the overall world of Dragon Ball a bit better, although I do recognize that the original is of course leaning HARD into the ancient China aspect of the setting. I'll tell ya though, when I first listened to it I genuinely thought they were using cheap MIDI samples, haha.
That's fair. I used to have a hard time getting into the Japanese version, since it's quite vastly different in feel, but I do prefer it now that I've had some time to get used to it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:So uh, dunno if y'all are following Monia Rial on Twitter but:

Monica Rial
36m36 minutes ago

Monica Rial
34m34 minutes ago

I’m actually disgusted by how Vic’s behavior after being confronted with this information. I thought there was a chance that Funimation will let him go but there’s no chance now. He needs to go immediately.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.