Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Also apparently it’s being said he’s not getting any residuals from Broly.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm Also apparently it’s being said he’s not getting any residuals from Broly.
Pretty sure that's standard practice for all non-union voice work.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:52 pm

I saw Vic on stage at NYCC with some of the rest of the dub cast and Masako Nozawa

After that I highly doubt he would have anything insightful to say. It didn’t even seem like he understood the character he was playing in the movie.

And also he was horrible in the movie. Fine as normal Broly (not that part was that difficult) but really bad in the screaming parts compared to Bin Shimada and Sean and Chris in the dub. Totally miscast. If only Funi hadn’t used him against just because he was Broly all those years ago. Now I have to avoid the dub unfortunately.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:52 pm I saw Vic on stage at NYCC with some of the rest of the dub cast and Masako Nozawa

After that I highly doubt he would have anything insightful to say. It didn’t even seem like he understood the character he was playing in the movie.

And also he was horrible in the movie. Fine as normal Broly (not that part was that difficult) but really bad in the screaming parts compared to Bin Shimada and Sean and Chris in the dub. Totally miscast. If only Funi hadn’t used him against just because he was Broly all those years ago. Now I have to avoid the dub unfortunately.
Ok now you’re overexaggerating.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm
Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:52 pm I saw Vic on stage at NYCC with some of the rest of the dub cast and Masako Nozawa

Ok now you’re overexaggerating.
No that’s my opinion and a lot of people share it actually.

Before this whole thing blew up a lot of people talked about Vic’s weak screams in the dub.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm Also apparently it’s being said he’s not getting any residuals from Broly.
Pretty sure that's standard practice for all non-union voice work.
Correct. And even in the case of union dubs, very few of them end up paying residuals because, under SAG-AFTRA's dubbing agreement, certain requirements have to be met before residual payments are made...and those requirements are almost never met.

So no, since it's a non-union dub, Vic's not making residuals from any DBZ-related material. Neither is Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, or anybody else involved in the dub.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

But there are counts that go back to the mid 2000s and his actions might be well... hmm, why did he do this?

That's my 2c.
Because that is the privilege afforded to a white male with some status. It's the "good ole boy" mentality: a slap on the butt, an unwanted kiss, or a protracted hug; hands where they shouldn't be, or constant comments. It's been generally seen as just having a bit of fun.

The problem with all that is that it's generally done without the consent of the victims. More importantly, it can create an environment in which sexual violence (or violence) can exist.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am To each his own. Listening to one side and not the other is biased in my opinion, even if the other side is propaganda.
honest question, why willingly listen to propaganda to just try and "both sides" a issue ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm No that’s my opinion and a lot of people share it actually.

Before this whole thing blew up a lot of people talked about Vic’s weak screams in the dub.
Yup. For example, here's me complaining about the looped scream in trailer 3, weeks before I knew anything about the man's behavior. I still do like him in Fullmetal Alchemist, but his Broly has always been trite. I'm honestly surprised then that Dragon Ball fandom is where most of the discussion happens, but I guess that's the difference between the most well-known anime ever made (with one of the most nostalgia-biased fanbases) and a really really good anime that ended like seven years ago.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:49 pm honest question, why willingly listen to propaganda to just try and "both sides" a issue ?
It's at least somewhat important to get into the heads of the people you're going against, since knowing how they think and why is a huge asset in making sure they don't get their way.

Of course, the problem here is that the situation is simply unbalanced. It's really, really easy to see where the facts are and how Vic stans are mostly just grasping at straws or trying to steer the conversation away from what's really happening.
Last edited by Shaddy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm

I heard some say kamehacon is a disaster. Why was that?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:00 pm I heard some say kamehacon is a disaster. Why was that?
I’ve had Online friends who went and all seemed to have a good time so I assume it wasn’t a disaster

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am To each his own. Listening to one side and not the other is biased in my opinion, even if the other side is propaganda.
That doesn't make any sense, though. "Both sides" don't have to be taken as equally legitimate in every situation.
You said not to listen to Vic's lawyer because he's "biased" and we should only listen to the other side, right? Even if you don't think the other side is legitimate, you should always at least hear them out.
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pmIf one side is telling you the moon exists, and the other is saying the moon doesn't exist and all claims that it does exist are part of a conspiracy to delegitimize Doug Moon-Denier, nobody has to pretend they're both valid arguments.
How would you even know the claims of your opposition if you didn't listen to them? Sorry, but that was a terrible analogy.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm You know, I did just have a thought though - if they did indeed record extras with Vic that were then cut out, didn't FUNi unfortunately end up tossing money down the drain (so to speak) on those parts? I know he wouldn't have gotten residuals from it's inclusion, but I'd imagine he would have already been paid for recording to appear in the extras prior to the release. That's somewhat unfortunate on their part, though I'd imagine it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.
I imagine the conversation went like this:

Funimation exec1: Hey, bruh. Is it worth potential outrage and possible money loss from people who don't want anything to with that guy who does the Broly thing.

Funimation exec 2: Fuck no!

Funimation exec1: Shit, that was easy.
I'm not saying that it wasn't the easy (or right) decision to make, I just meant that technically they probably ate at least a little bit (and by little I mean extremely inconsequentially tiny) loss on that one. I should have clarified that that was more of an off the cuff thought that came to my mind rather than some sort of point I was trying to make, my bad.

That said though, I would think it definitely adds more weight to their dismissing of him. No matter how much some of his fans might hope, there is no way FUNi is hiring him back for Broly or anything else at this point. The backlash alone would be insane.
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm Vic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.
Just...stop. At this point, especially after making comments like the latter part of your post, absolutely nobody here is taking you seriously anymore. I was one trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but that's just...I mean, wow. Either you're just trying to stir the pot, and trust me, this pot doesn't need any further stirring at this point, or you're just extremely delusional and desperately, desperately need to seek some help.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:40 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm
SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm Like it or not, this is common practice in many industries. If the company cuts ties with an employee (or talent, or whatever) under acrimonious circumstances, it's super common for whatever projects they had in the works to be altered, shelved, or cancelled outright. It comes with the territory - if you're cutting ties with someone, that means you're not going to release material that directly associates you with them past that point unless it's absolutely necessary. This kind of thing happens all the time.
Off the top of your head, do you have any examples of this happening in the Entertainment industry? I'm trying, but I can't really think of any examples. Either way, I don't doubt that this is something the entertainment industry would do, given its nature. I still think it's disingenuous though.
After allegations of sexual misconduct, Kevin Spacey was cut from All the Money in the World and recast with Christopher Plummer mid-production. If I remember right, Spacey's scenes were pretty much done and they had to do extensive reshoots.
That's the big one that comes to mind, yep.

These aren't all the exact same situation, but here goes:

There was an actor on the most recent Predator movie who had their scenes cut after it came out they were a sex offender. Jussie Smollet's "Empire" scenes were cut out of several episodes after his arrest. Roseanne Barr was fired, her character was written off her show, and the title was even changed as a result of her repeated racist comments. They filmed the majority of "Back to the Future" with Eric Stoltz in the Marty McFly role until the producers decided his performance wasn't working, then reshot all of his scenes with Michael J. Fox (admittedly their first choice for the role). Valerie Harper, the star of the sitcom "Valerie" had her scenes in an episode cut before her character was written off and they renamed her show "The Hogan Family" after she had a falling out with the producers. And countless actors have been fired and replaced during production because of disputes with directors or producers; their scenes are almost always tossed out entirely.

On the director's side, Chris Lord and Phil Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story during production over creative differences, and Ron Howard was brought in to reshoot a large amount of the movie, and much of Lord & Miller's work and their director credits were cut. Zack Snyder on Justice League is another example; he left the production after a personal tragedy, but the production had been acrimonious long before, and they got Joss Whedon to come in and reshoot a large part of the movie. Richard Donner was 75% done filming Superman II when he was fired and replaced by Richard Lester, who reshot 51% of the movie so they didn't have to give Donner a credit (he eventually got to complete his cut of the movie for a DVD release, but his full contribution wasn't seen for decades).

And there are many completed or partially completed comic series that were shelved or scrapped after disputes between creators and publishers.

In the big picture, scrapping a home-video featurette is extremely minor.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:33 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 pm You know, I did just have a thought though - if they did indeed record extras with Vic that were then cut out, didn't FUNi unfortunately end up tossing money down the drain (so to speak) on those parts? I know he wouldn't have gotten residuals from it's inclusion, but I'd imagine he would have already been paid for recording to appear in the extras prior to the release. That's somewhat unfortunate on their part, though I'd imagine it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.
I imagine the conversation went like this:

Funimation exec1: Hey, bruh. Is it worth potential outrage and possible money loss from people who don't want anything to with that guy who does the Broly thing.

Funimation exec 2: Fuck no!

Funimation exec1: Shit, that was easy.
I'm not saying that it wasn't the easy (or right) decision to make, I just meant that technically they probably ate at least a little bit (and by little I mean extremely inconsequentially tiny) loss on that one. I should have clarified that that was more of an off the cuff thought that came to my mind rather than some sort of point I was trying to make, my bad.

That said though, I would think it definitely adds more weight to their dismissing of him. No matter how much some of his fans might hope, there is no way FUNi is hiring him back for Broly or anything else at this point. The backlash alone would be insane.
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm Vic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly. And people were really looking forward to seeing Vic Mignogna handsome angelic beautiful ageless face in the special features.
Just...stop. At this point, especially after making comments like the latter part of your post, absolutely nobody here is taking you seriously anymore. I was one trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but that's just...I mean, wow. Either you're just trying to stir the pot, and trust me, this pot doesn't need any further stirring at this point, or you're just extremely delusional and desperately, desperately need to seek some help.
I neutral in all of this. But let said Hypothetically Toei go to Funimation And let just that tell Funimation either hired him back or where putting the title away from you. You don't there not going to do it? Funimation make to much money on Dragonball. And before you said that far fetch that already know what going on. That force Sabat to change the name on the bus event which he then later cancel anyway. And then Toei had the Japan voice Vegeta pull away fro the con. Toei known what going on. And if it get to point where lawsuit are being hand down I telling you right now Toei is not going wanting any of it. Not to matter I not either sure how the video game contact aare right now for Vic. Since he voice Broly in DBX2. And then voice old Broly in Fighter Z. Funimation does not dub the game. So that going be an issue.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:40 pm
OmegaRockman wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm
SMKirbyZX wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Off the top of your head, do you have any examples of this happening in the Entertainment industry? I'm trying, but I can't really think of any examples. Either way, I don't doubt that this is something the entertainment industry would do, given its nature. I still think it's disingenuous though.
After allegations of sexual misconduct, Kevin Spacey was cut from All the Money in the World and recast with Christopher Plummer mid-production. If I remember right, Spacey's scenes were pretty much done and they had to do extensive reshoots.
That's the big one that comes to mind, yep.

These aren't all the exact same situation, but here goes:

There was an actor on the most recent Predator movie who had their scenes cut after it came out they were a sex offender. Jussie Smollet's "Empire" scenes were cut out of several episodes after his arrest. Roseanne Barr was fired, her character was written off her show, and the title was even changed as a result of her repeated racist comments. They filmed the majority of "Back to the Future" with Eric Stoltz in the Marty McFly role until the producers decided his performance wasn't working, then reshot all of his scenes with Michael J. Fox (admittedly their first choice for the role). Valerie Harper, the star of the sitcom "Valerie" had her scenes in an episode cut before her character was written off and they renamed her show "The Hogan Family" after she had a falling out with the producers. And countless actors have been fired and replaced during production because of disputes with directors or producers; their scenes are almost always tossed out entirely.

On the director's side, Chris Lord and Phil Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story during production over creative differences, and Ron Howard was brought in to reshoot a large amount of the movie, and much of Lord & Miller's work and their director credits were cut. Zack Snyder on Justice League is another example; he left the production after a personal tragedy, but the production had been acrimonious long before, and they got Joss Whedon to come in and reshoot a large part of the movie. Richard Donner was 75% done filming Superman II when he was fired and replaced by Richard Lester, who reshot 51% of the movie so they didn't have to give Donner a credit (he eventually got to complete his cut of the movie for a DVD release, but his full contribution wasn't seen for decades).

And there are many completed or partially completed comic series that were shelved or scrapped after disputes between creators and publishers.

In the big picture, scrapping a home-video featurette is extremely minor.
The issue he is Vic not been arrest for anything. You can't said some one is a "sex offender" if he not been change with anything. Let along found guilty of.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 am To each his own. Listening to one side and not the other is biased in my opinion, even if the other side is propaganda.
That doesn't make any sense, though. "Both sides" don't have to be taken as equally legitimate in every situation.
You said not to listen to Vic's lawyer because he's "biased" and we should only listen to the other side, right? Even if you don't think the other side is legitimate, you should always at least hear them out.
Well, I mainly said not to watch the YouTube Lawyer's videos, because he's a bad actor stirring up anger (from people prone to harassment and making threats, at that) for his own financial benefit.

I'm not saying you can't listen to Mignogna's lawyer; I'm saying you should take everything he says with a mountain of salt, because he has every motivation to misrepresent and cherry-pick "evidence" to the benefit of his client. Use some scrutiny.

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pmIf one side is telling you the moon exists, and the other is saying the moon doesn't exist and all claims that it does exist are part of a conspiracy to delegitimize Doug Moon-Denier, nobody has to pretend they're both valid arguments.
How would you even know the claims of your opposition if you didn't listen to them? Sorry, but that was a terrible analogy.
Again, all I'm saying is that both "sides" of any given situation aren't necessarily equally valid or likely, and nobody has to pretend they are.

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pmVic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly.
Vic is just the american voice of a single character that only has only at most 4 hours of material in the whole anime and manga franchise, hardly anyone notable like Nozawa or her peers.
Bingo. He's a character with a devoted fanbase for sure, but Broly is an extremely minor character in the franchise. You can count his appearances on one hand, and only one of those is currently considered canon at that. And Mignogna's contributions to the series are as small as it gets compared to almost anyone else.

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 pm The issue he is Vic not been arrest for anything. You can't said some one is a "sex offender" if he not been change with anything. Let along found guilty of.
Huh? The list wasn't about sex offenders or criminals; I was asked for examples of someone's work being tossed out after an entertainment company parted ways with them. That's... literally all I was talking about.
Last edited by Bryesque on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm
Well, I mainly said not to watch the YouTube Lawyer's videos, because he's a bad actor stirring up anger (from people prone to harassment and making threats, at that) for his own financial benefit.

I'm not saying you can't listen to Mignogna's lawyer; I'm saying you should take everything he says with a mountain of salt, because he has every motivation to misrepresent and cherry-pick "evidence" to the benefit of his client. Use some scrutiny.

Again, all I'm saying is that both "sides" are necessarily equally valid or likely, and nobody has to pretend they are.

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm
Mooreish wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pmVic is a big drop in the bucket. He’s fucking Broly. People would be interested in the voice actor for Broly.
Vic is just the american voice of a single character that only has only at most 4 hours of material in the whole anime and manga franchise, hardly anyone notable like Nozawa or her peers.
Bingo. He's a character with a devoted fanbase for sure, but Broly is an extremely minor character in the franchise. You can count his appearances on one hand, and only one of those is currently considered canon at that. And Mignogna's contributions to the series are as small as it gets compared to almost anyone else.
@bryespue Uh he is a Lawyer all you have to do it look it up online he is in fact one. Weather him being on YouTube or not does not change that fact. Is he getting view for it yes. But that still does not change he still a lawyer. Which make him know more about the law them either your or me. As for Vic not being in DBZ that much that does not really the point a person maybe losing his career over thing that maybe not true. I not saying there not but we not seen anything up this point that post there true.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

@bryespue Uh he is a Lawyer all you have to do it look it up online he is in fact one. Weather him being on YouTube or not does not change that fact. Is he getting view for it yes. But that still does not change he still a lawyer. Which make him know more about the law them either your or me. As for Vic not being in DBZ that much that does not really the point a person maybe losing his career over thing that maybe not true. I not saying there not but we not seen anything up this point that post there true.
I... didn't say that he wasn't a lawyer. What?

But just because he's a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean that he's honest or correct. (Or that he necessarily has valid knowledge about this particular area of law, in a state he's not from that has different laws on the books.)

He's personally and financially connected to Mignogna and he himself financially benefits from kicking up controversy and getting extra YouTube views as a result. That automatically makes the message he presents questionable, because he has every motivation to represent a biased or inaccurate view that benefits himself and Mignogna. Just like a salesman has every reason to "stretch the truth" and manipulate a customer to make a sale. These are the signs to use some skepticism.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Bryesque wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:56 pm

I... didn't say that he wasn't a lawyer. What?

But just because he's a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean that he's honest or correct. (Or that he necessarily has valid knowledge about this particular area of law, in a state he's not from that has different laws on the books.)

He's personally and financially connected to Mignogna and he himself financially benefits from kicking up controversy and getting extra YouTube views as a result. That automatically makes the message he presents questionable, because he has every motivation to represent a biased or inaccurate view that benefits himself and Mignogna. Just like a salesman has every reason to "stretch the truth" and manipulate a customer to make a sale. These are the signs to use some skepticism.
While you are right on most of that keep in mind I turn around and counter with the people would wanted to "kickvic". And said that there doing it for there financially benefit as well too. For there own biased as well to. So it a double edge sword. No madder how you look at it. But from watching some of his stream up to this point a lot of thing he throeys on end happening. As for him being a lawyer in a different stated while you can used that. But from I seen he seen to have been born in Texas and see to know more thing that I did not even know. And yes he benefit from it but really only in like the super chat he really getting out of it. The gofund me thing is going to a trust for Vic lawsuit when ever it get file.