Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm

ssj4 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:57 pm What is disappointing about Chuck?
Just the rumors that he might well be on Vic's side in this whole debacle. Again, I'm holding out hope that he just truly believes his friend couldn't do something like that, rather than him knowing and still defending him.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm
Just the rumors that he might well be on Vic's side in this whole debacle. Again, I'm holding out hope that he just truly believes his friend couldn't do something like that, rather than him knowing and still defending him.
I could have sworn that he liked tweets which implied he was against him or something like that?
Also, how credible are these rumours?

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm

FUNi and co. have issued a deposition for the purposes of subpoenaing Rekieta. Greg gets into how that may play out here. (TLDR -- complications regarding an out-of-state party may not see it bear fruit.)
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:08 pm
At the very least, it's not like there's been rumors surrounding him for years like Vic, so I'm not about to vilify him just yet.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm At the very least, it's not like there's been rumors surrounding him for years like Vic, so I'm not about to vilify him just yet.
Exactly. Even if his 'crime' is true, it's hopefully just support of a friend he doesn't want to believe these bad things about, which as bad as that may be, it's nothing compared to the crimes Vic is accused of. And like you said, there's nowhere near the same amount of time behind them either.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:18 pm

I don't understand why people care so much about this, from a voice actor stand point (clearly I understand why for the other reason). In my opinion Broly is such a non-character that almost any halfway decent voice actor could voice him. I personally don't think it's a big deal he's being replaced. This would be a much much bigger issue if it was Sean or Chris.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:01 pm

omegacwa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:18 pm I don't understand why people care so much about this, from a voice actor stand point (clearly I understand why for the other reason). In my opinion Broly is such a non-character that almost any halfway decent voice actor could voice him. I personally don't think it's a big deal he's being replaced. This would be a much much bigger issue if it was Sean or Chris.
It's a big issue considering that Broly is still a recurring headliner character for one of the most popular anime ever (who headlined the most popular and, arguable, the best Dragon Ball movie yet), and Vic did the English voice for him and Eric, the main character of the cult hit Full Metal Alchemist. That aside, Vic has a massive fanbase behind him on this, and through at the very least passive complicity has allowed this to blow up thanks to the circus of his legal representation. If he simply kept his head down and made at least some effort to repent for his actions we wouldn't be on page 207 of this thread.

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:01 pm and Vic did the English voice for him and Eric, the main character of the cult hit Full Metal Alchemist.
Who cares? It long since ended. It's not getting new game or anime, nor probably will. I don't even get why is this an argument.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:29 pm

We really are playing fast and loose with words like "massive". He doesn't have a massive fan base. I truly doubt much if any of his fans would stop watching anything he was recast in. What he does have is a fan base whose passion for him is disconcerting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Well, if we're talking about hardcore fans, he's definitely one of those voice actors that has a lot of them, like Johnny Yong Bosch does.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Zinnia wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:01 pm and Vic did the English voice for him and Eric, the main character of the cult hit Full Metal Alchemist.
Who cares? It long since ended. It's not getting new game or anime, nor probably will. I don't even get why is this an argument.
Irregardless of if it's getting anything new or not, I'd actually say that Vic's fans arguing on his behalf in the name of Broly rather than Edward is what's weird, since Edward is a much bigger deal to his respective series than Broly is to his. It's also a role that, me personally anyway, will have a much harder time hearing someone else in the role if it ever happens than I will with Broly.
Twitter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm Well, if we're talking about hardcore fans, he's definitely one of those voice actors that has a lot of them, like Johnny Yong Bosch does.
Bosch was on one of the highest rated kids show of all time at its peak. I'd be willing to bet he has WAY more than Vic does. I also think you all are overestimating how big his fanbase actually is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:12 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm
8000 Saiyan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm Well, if we're talking about hardcore fans, he's definitely one of those voice actors that has a lot of them, like Johnny Yong Bosch does.
Bosch was on one of the highest rated kids show of all time at its peak. I'd be willing to bet he has WAY more than Vic does. I also think you all are overestimating how big his fanbase actually is.

And I think you are underestimating the number of fans Vic’s has. Like I wish it wasn’t true but he is popular.

For the record Vic has more followers on Twitter than Bosch.

Though in the long run his popularity doesn’t matter. Popularity doesn’t mean he isn’t really scum.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:51 pm

I think people underestimate how massive Dragon Ball Z’s English fanbase is with people who otherwise don’t give a shit about anime or the whose who in anime dub voice acting. They may recognize names like Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat but Vic Mignogna is just some guy.

And again there is very little to distinguish Mignogna’s take on Broly. It would be incredibly easily to find some joe schmoe to do a voice match and your average Z/Super fan wouldn’t care to notice.

Here’s an example. I’m willing to bet for many fanboys Resurrection F was their first time hearing Chris Ayres as Freeza since many of them didn’t appear to watch Kai or saw the Toonzai edit and noped out of it pretty quickly. Your average Z fanboy “this was my shit on Toonami” probably didn’t even think twice about the fact that Freeza sounds way different than he did in Z and took on a completely different personality.

$20 Chris Sabat ends up voicing Broly

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm

In before Scott McNeil as the new dub Broli.

Anyway, the judge's reading of this case seems to be really fucking nonsensical. It's like he can't read between the lines? I don't even know.

As for Chuck Huber: he worked on Star Trek Continues with Vignogna so I'm not surprise that there's something seedy about him.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:23 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm Anyway, the judge's reading of this case seems to be really fucking nonsensical. It's like he can't read between the lines? I don't even know.
How so? I only read the transcript where he told Ty Beard he should be standing up if he's the lawyer representing Mignogna. Has there been any others?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 am

The cult of personality that builds up around voice actors is weird sometimes. By any standard, Vic's fanbase is microscopic, but there are just enough people out there who latch onto it. I don't think Broly was even a particularly big part- for years, it was kind of a joke that this dude who mainly did young boy voices also played this screaming, gravelly-voiced brute. The most significant thing about Vic's Broly voice was that he hated doing it and would complain about it at conventions.

For me, he was the voice of best-boy Junpei from Persona 3, which was a far bigger betrayal than Broly or even Ed. But I think that's how it happens with voice actors like him- they have enough fingers in different holes that they build up notoriety from being in so many niche products. The reason this got so wrapped up with Dragon Ball is because it's such a massive property in the West compared to other anime and the new movie starring Vic's character had just come out.

Anyway, it feels like things have gotten a lot quieter from "his side" of the fanbase lately. Most of them have been through the other four stages of grief and moved on to acceptance, and the ones that haven't are just stewing silently as more unfavourable news about the suit comes out. I reckon it'll flare up briefly once he loses the suit and again once the new Broly is announced, but after that things will quieten down.

Also, it's not going to be Sabat. Dude's busy enough, he's not going to add another role that's 90 per cent screaming to his list.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:11 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:12 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm

And I think you are underestimating the number of fans Vic’s has. Like I wish it wasn’t true but he is popular.

For the record Vic has more followers on Twitter than Bosch.

Though in the long run his popularity doesn’t matter. Popularity doesn’t mean he isn’t really scum.
He is scum and I'm not overestimating his popularity. He's a rockstar amongst a very niche audience. If we are going to use Twitter followers as a metric, his numbers are minor compared to your average CW actor. The numbers are small, but they seem like they're more because of how loud they are.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 am For me, he was the voice of best-boy Junpei from Persona 3, which was a far bigger betrayal than Broly or even Ed.
Yeah, as a big fan of Persona (especially 3) as well, having the voice of Junpei turn out to be like this is particularly heartbreaking for me. And, unfortunately, whereas roles like Ed and Broly I'll probably still be able to listen to with Vic's performance easily enough since they don't generally talk about girls that much, Junpei and his 'Operation: Babe Hunt' are going to come off incredibly more awkward to my ear now, which sucks since previously that was one of my favorite comedic parts of the game.

What he did to the people actually involved is far worse of course, and the betrayal is even larger for his former fiance and his friends of course, but the betrayal to those of us who were fans of his is still pretty crippling too. It sucks.

Also, noticed something on a former page that I didn't think of before...

The Chelsea Beard listed here, said to be Vic's super young girlfriend. Is that accurate? Because if so, that last name, Beard. That's...the same last name as his lawyer, Ty Beard. That's an awful big coincidence if those two aren't related...
Twitter

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:53 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 am
Also, noticed something on a former page that I didn't think of before...

The Chelsea Beard listed here, said to be Vic's super young girlfriend. Is that accurate? Because if so, that last name, Beard. That's...the same last name as his lawyer, Ty Beard. That's an awful big coincidence if those two aren't related...
I probably should've elaborated on this when I shared the document -- while Chelsea defended Vic some months ago on the basis they knew each other, there's no evidence she's related to Ty and the girlfriend thing stems from speculation. I believe it was this document that confirmed her involvement with the suit, whatever that may be.

Here's a relevant Twitter thread by a Kanzenshuu wiki admin, who I should note provided the who's who doc.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks for the elaboration, I wasn't sure how much of that part was speculation or 100% confirmed.

If she's not related to Ty at all, that's a huge coincidence with the last name. It'll be curious to see exactly how this part of it plays out.
Twitter