Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:12 am

excelhedge wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 am Anyone got links to the video Ron Toye's disposition? I would like to watch it without Rikieta or some other youtuber constantly interrupting it.

https://youtu.be/f8h9VT9Ifm0
Try asking Greg Doucette. He's on Twitter, and he and other lawyers have been the main folks responsible for uncovering all of this.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:59 am

I know Greg's commented on Ron's deposition thanks to commentary by other lawyers he's retweeted, so he's the best place to look. (Sooner than later, at least: it'll soon get buried.)

As I recall, it was nothing revealing outside of how, unlike Vic, he was obviously prepared. I know Vic stans are latching onto his inability to recall certain tweets as a "gotcha", though.

(On a related note, just for laughs, here's Beard stumbling yet again in court.)

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:55 pm

There's so much to laugh about this week, but the bit with the "amazon" at the deposition stood out to me. Like, was that supposed to be a harebrained attempt at a trap? She tries to antagonize the defendant, then Percy waits for the defendant's lawyer to call this out so he can act aggrieved that he'd talk that way "to a FEMALE attorney"?

And a lot of VicStans online seem to be acting especially deranged right now, which is... saying something.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm

I swear this is how I fucking argued political shit in high school. Just a cavalcade of bad arguments, accusations and moving the goalposts until the other person got tired enough to not want to fucking talk to me anymore. These guys are what, in their 30s or 40s? They're supposed to be professionals and they talk like dumb teenagers looking for any opportunity to "gotcha" their opponents.

It should come as no surprise that Rekieta follows Mike Cernovich, TheQuartering, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, and Stefan Molyneux on twitter. Guy is a fucking reactionary propaganda machine. I've personally seen misogyny, racism, and anti-intellectualism from him so far. Just need Islamophobia, homophobia, anti-semitism, and transphobia to complete the whole Alt-Right set (if I don't count all the guys he obviously loves listening to, or anything I haven't seen personally). It is like Pokemon for fucking assholes up in here.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm I swear this is how I fucking argued political shit in high school. Just a cavalcade of bad arguments, accusations and moving the goalposts until the other person got tired enough to not want to fucking talk to me anymore. These guys are what, in their 30s or 40s? They're supposed to be professionals and they talk like dumb teenagers looking for any opportunity to "gotcha" their opponents.

It should come as no surprise that Rekieta follows Mike Cernovich, TheQuartering, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro, and Stefan Molyneux on twitter. Guy is a fucking reactionary propaganda machine. I've personally seen misogyny, racism, and anti-intellectualism from him so far. Just need Islamophobia, homophobia, anti-semitism, and transphobia to complete the whole Alt-Right set (if I don't count all the guys he obviously loves listening to, or anything I haven't seen personally). It is like Pokemon for fucking assholes up in here.
I feel like Pokémon for assholes would probably be a successful game, there are assholes everywhere. Would buy in.

So, apparently Vic Stan’s think that the case is going well? Just something I noticed in an unfortunate conversation with someone who supported Vic but was not particularly engaged with the issue. I guess it means their narrative, even though false, is actually duping people into buying their nonsense.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Been insanely busy, so I don't know when I'll have time to go through all these new developments, but Greg goes over Beard's new petition here.
Bryesque wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:55 pm There's so much to laugh about this week, but the bit with the "amazon" at the deposition stood out to me. Like, was that supposed to be a harebrained attempt at a trap? She tries to antagonize the defendant, then Percy waits for the defendant's lawyer to call this out so he can act aggrieved that he'd talk that way "to a FEMALE attorney"?

And a lot of VicStans online seem to be acting especially deranged right now, which is... saying something.
I believe I read that's the term Beard refers to his female posse? Don't quote me on that.
Shaddy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm I swear this is how I fucking argued political shit in high school. Just a cavalcade of bad arguments, accusations and moving the goalposts until the other person got tired enough to not want to fucking talk to me anymore. These guys are what, in their 30s or 40s? They're supposed to be professionals and they talk like dumb teenagers looking for any opportunity to "gotcha" their opponents.

I've always believed the alt-right are bullies that never grew up, with Rekieta being the latest example. I realized lately how many parallels I'm seeing to Trump in how many blindly follow an unqualified, unethical individual despite the mass dissent/counsel of others in his field.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:32 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 pm I've always believed the alt-right are bullies that never grew up, with Rekieta being the latest example. I realized lately how many parallels I'm seeing to Trump in how many blindly follow an unqualified, unethical individual despite the mass dissent/counsel of others in his field.
Problem is, we actually RESPECT the other lawyers in this case, as well as the people closest to Vic Mignogna. This is a clear battle of "Good vs. Evil", with the "good" and "evil" people being pretty easy to see.

President Trump's contemporaries? Not so much. Maybe Bernie, but... Well, we weren't really given the chance to choose, were we?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 am

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:32 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:11 pm I've always believed the alt-right are bullies that never grew up, with Rekieta being the latest example. I realized lately how many parallels I'm seeing to Trump in how many blindly follow an unqualified, unethical individual despite the mass dissent/counsel of others in his field.
Problem is, we actually RESPECT the other lawyers in this case, as well as the people closest to Vic Mignogna. This is a clear battle of "Good vs. Evil", with the "good" and "evil" people being pretty easy to see.

President Trump's contemporaries? Not so much. Maybe Bernie, but... Well, we weren't really given the chance to choose, were we?
I wouldn't call Bernie a contemporary of Trump. Maybe in the sense of them both appealing to the white working class, but they couldn't be more different.

Or are you doing that Hillary/Trump equivalency thing again? Please don't. America had the most obvious good vs evil choice to make in 2016, and good lost because they were too busy infighting while evil swallowed their pride and rallied behind the gremlin that rode a wave of bigotry and resentment to get them control of the executive branch, tougher immigration policies and a right-wing Supreme Court judge. This is the lesson the left have failed to learn time and time again- Life of Brian came out 40 years ago, it was all about that.

And besides, I can't respect the people involved in Vic's lawsuit. Normally with lawyers, you have to accept that they're just doing their job, but these people went out of their way to manipulate and fleece gullible fans with their bogus GoFundMe. Hopefully they get what's coming to them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 am

I wouldn't call Bernie a contemporary of Trump. Maybe in the sense of them both appealing to the white working class, but they couldn't be more different.

Or are you doing that Hillary/Trump equivalency thing again? Please don't. America had the most obvious good vs evil choice to make in 2016, and good lost because they were too busy infighting while evil swallowed their pride and rallied behind the gremlin that rode a wave of bigotry and resentment to get them control of the executive branch, tougher immigration policies and a right-wing Supreme Court judge. This is the lesson the left have failed to learn time and time again- Life of Brian came out 40 years ago, it was all about that.

And besides, I can't respect the people involved in Vic's lawsuit. Normally with lawyers, you have to accept that they're just doing their job, but these people went out of their way to manipulate and fleece gullible fans with their bogus GoFundMe. Hopefully they get what's coming to them.
Clinton is a racist warmonger that turned Libya into a failed state and was a part of the administration that turned two wars into seven. Not exactly an obvious choice in face of Trump's mild anti-interventionist rhetoric.

We have Trump because the Democrats have been doing nothing but being conservatives since the 1970s. They're controlled opposition.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:38 pm Just need Islamophobia, homophobia, anti-semitism, and transphobia to complete the whole Alt-Right set
Well, Vic Mignogna has also been accused of homophobia and anti-semitism, even if it was from him making very bad taste jokes. Does that count?
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

Clinton is a racist warmonger that turned Libya into a failed state and was a part of the administration that turned two wars into seven. Not exactly an obvious choice in face of Trump's mild anti-interventionist rhetoric.

We have Trump because the Democrats have been doing nothing but being conservatives since the 1970s. They're controlled opposition.
And she ran to the left of Trump, who pulled America out of the Paris Agreement, emboldened ICE into a modern-day Gestapo, publicly cozied up to authoritarian dictators and is blundering into a war with Iran. That's what I'm saying- the left have to stop letting perfect be the enemy of the good and start looking at the big picture. With the Republicans turning into a far-right party, the Democrats will continue to shift leftward. So you have to vote for them no matter who the candidate is, or the Republicans will continue fucking everyone over.

Anyway, this is the second time I've risked derailing this thread with that tangent. I'll just say that the cynical pandering and misogynist resentment fuelling #IStandWithVic is a microcosm of the same societal trend that put Trump in the White House, and if we don't do whatever we can to stop it, it could have lasting harmful consequences. That's why signal boosting people who speak out against Vic and Rekeita is just as important as voting for Joe Biden.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:23 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

And she ran to the left of Trump, who pulled America out of the Paris Agreement, emboldened ICE into a modern-day Gestapo, publicly cozied up to authoritarian dictators and is blundering into a war with Iran. That's what I'm saying- the left have to stop letting perfect be the enemy of the good and start looking at the big picture. With the Republicans turning into a far-right party, the Democrats will continue to shift leftward. So you have to vote for them no matter who the candidate is, or the Republicans will continue fucking everyone over.

Anyway, this is the second time I've risked derailing this thread with that tangent. I'll just say that the cynical pandering and misogynist resentment fuelling #IStandWithVic is a microcosm of the same societal trend that put Trump in the White House, and if we don't do whatever we can to stop it, it could have lasting harmful consequences. That's why signal boosting people who speak out against Vic and Rekeita is just as important as voting for Joe Biden.
Ok, while i personally do not agree with your aforementioned criticisms there about President Trump as to his overall performance and conduct as chief executive on such issues as those (I voted for him in 2016, so sue me.) and the state of the country going into the 2020 election cycle, this forum just simply isn't the place for those types of discussions to be had. This is a Dragon Ball forum, not a political debate forum. As such, i don't want to get into a long winded back and forth over the minutiae of the above which would indeed be veering off the purpose of this thread's intended topic. It has already happened multiple times over the course of the thread with discussions devolving into extended arguments over the president's policies among other things.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Sooooo apparently Blackface Lawyer also streamed Vic's deposition, including redacted portions like this.

He was with his fiance longer than eight years, right? Truly a man of faith.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm a bit of a lurker these days, but I agree this thread should stay more on topic and leave politics for elsewhere.

I watched Rekieta's streams concerning the deposition. I found his constant I interruptions, bullying, and crass attitude to be utter torture, while the deposition itself was interesting. I've been neutral and want to see how things pan out. However, I have never been a fan of Vic's and most definitely not a fan of Mr. Rekieta.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Karrit wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm I'm a bit of a lurker these days, but I agree this thread should stay more on topic and leave politics for elsewhere.
You haven't been paying attention? How is Vic's sexual misconduct not a political matter?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:58 pm
Karrit wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:05 pm I'm a bit of a lurker these days, but I agree this thread should stay more on topic and leave politics for elsewhere.
You haven't been paying attention? How is Vic's sexual misconduct not a political matter?
I think Karrit is referring to how (for like, the fourth time in this thread) the topic has derailed from being about Vic and his legal representation to being about actual US politics and the White House and stuff. Big difference IMO!

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Oh my God he actually went through with the lawsuit. You'd think a grown, 50something year old man would be wise enough to not have a bunch of incels and alt-right nutjobs decide his irl actions.

Congrats, Mignognog, ya played yourself.
KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 pm
I think Karrit is referring to how (for like, the fourth time in this thread) the topic has derailed from being about Vic and his legal representation to being about actual US politics and the White House and stuff. Big difference IMO!
If you know anything about the current US political climate, and well as the current cultural climate, you would know it's silly to try to separate this case from what's happening. This Vic case is like a microcosm of all of that.

The alt-right bloggers, who all support the Republicans and Trump, all supported Vic and made the same kinds of videos in defense of him that they made in defense of Trump. Vic also did the same kinds of things Trump has done in terms of abusing women and coercing cover-ups.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:05 pm

So uh, in case you were wondering why they redacted portions of Vic's deposition, now you know.

(Don't bother asking me what the context is, because I have absolutely no clue.)

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 pm
That's exactly what I was talking about. I am very much aware of the climate these days, but I get more than enough about it on FaceBook and Twitter. I'd rather have this forum as a means of escaping anything to do with US politics.
Last edited by Karrit on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm

TKA wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 pm If you know anything about the current US political climate, and well as the current cultural climate, you would know it's silly to try to separate this case from what's happening. This Vic case is like a microcosm of all of that.

The alt-right bloggers, who all support the Republicans and Trump, all supported Vic and made the same kinds of videos in defense of him that they made in defense of Trump. Vic also did the same kinds of things Trump has done in terms of abusing women and coercing cover-ups.
Fair enough, but I more meant in regards to this thread I guess. It feels like a big jump to me. Mind you I never talk about politics and am certainly not used to it in the context of Dragon Ball.
Karrit wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 pm That's exactly what I was talking about.
Oh.