Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:54 am

Kataphrut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 pm So placing bets that the next announcement will be "Monica Rial is no longer attending Kamehacon." Followed by "Chris Sabat is no longer attending Kamehacon". Followed by "We have literally no guests now because everyone else pulled out, seriously what the fuck were we thinking?"

Like, I don't know if they're trying to make some sort of statement (Geekdom has already tweeted to say he wasn't involved so nobody try and get up him about it) or think the majority of fans are on his "side" or something, but they have to realise how stupid that is. Like, even if some little gremlin on the organising board is secretly a pro-Vic and wants to rock the boat, surely they have to realise like 80% of this con's guest list are other English voice actors who aren't going to stand for it.
You might have a more optimistic view of the VAs than reality is going to hit you with. Like, the majority of the guests probably don't give a rat's ass one way or another. They're there to meet & greet fans, as with all of their other con appearances. Hell, some of them will probably request to not be anywhere near Vic. I can see some of the ones from FUNi cancelling, but 80%!?! Ha! You're funny.
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:29 pmDon't "Them's the breaks, kid" me. "Well, we HAD to invite the proven-to-act-upon-impulses pedophile to our convention because CONTRACTS" is in no way a defensible position. You'd have to be stupid to think this has anything to do with the corporation that owns Kameha Con acting upon principle. They think that hosting a piece of shit human being who assaults his colleagues and underage fans for over twenty years will make them a buck and that's all that matters.

Capitalism is a cancer.
You may not like it, but that's how this is, sorry. Con organizers can invite or uninvite whoever they want. This is one of the consequences. And, obviously, everyone involved with the bookings of guests over there had thought about this long & hard before making the decision. I'm doubting it was a light one. Obviously, they deemed the good outweighed the bad here. End of discussion as far as they're concerned.
Fionordequester wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 pmThat one... well, that one's a little more complicated. Doug Walker himself may be fine, but that's because public perception says he wasn't directly involved with any of what happened , and/or he's helpless to do anything since the CEO owned the rights to his character... Of course, that's highly questionable when they DID have a company vote in any major decisions, but...well, most people don't know that tidbit.

As for Channel Awesome the site, it's still sustained heavy damage from everything that happened. Most of its talent left, and it's forums have STILL not come back up.

It may not have gotten what it deserved, but it's certainly selling the effects of fan backlash.
Oh, Doug's not blameless. Some of the decisions the company made, he was directly involved in, or didn't do anything to stop from happening. He's one of the higher-ups in CA, but he doesn't like conflict or dealing with anything. He also partly owns the character. As was revealed last year, the IP for the NC is owned by Channel Awesome as a company & the rights are currently split between 5 people, 3 of which are Mike Michaud, Doug Walker, & Rob Walker as far as anyone can tell.
And, yeah, if you look at the site, it's dead. However, the company seems to be doing fine, though I wouldn't be surprised if it went bankrupt within a few years. They're working off YouTube adrev (which has been spotty for the last few years since the adpocalypse) & sponsorships that they shouldn't be getting, as well as con appearances. Those might be able to sustain a person, but a huge company? Don't think so.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:19 am

Well, the DB community might just be rotten at its core. Disgusting. Hope the other cons have some fucking sense and morals left and don't invite him back.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:54 am
Kataphrut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 pm So placing bets that the next announcement will be "Monica Rial is no longer attending Kamehacon." Followed by "Chris Sabat is no longer attending Kamehacon". Followed by "We have literally no guests now because everyone else pulled out, seriously what the fuck were we thinking?"

Like, I don't know if they're trying to make some sort of statement (Geekdom has already tweeted to say he wasn't involved so nobody try and get up him about it) or think the majority of fans are on his "side" or something, but they have to realise how stupid that is. Like, even if some little gremlin on the organising board is secretly a pro-Vic and wants to rock the boat, surely they have to realise like 80% of this con's guest list are other English voice actors who aren't going to stand for it.
You might have a more optimistic view of the VAs than reality is going to hit you with. Like, the majority of the guests probably don't give a rat's ass one way or another. They're there to meet & greet fans, as with all of their other con appearances. Hell, some of them will probably request to not be anywhere near Vic. I can see some of the ones from FUNi cancelling, but 80%!?! Ha! You're funny.
Mate, read the guest list and then reread my post before taking that smug tone. The vast majority of the guest list at this convention are Funimation voice actors. And even if not all of them cancel, hell even if NONE of them do (and if they don't, it'll be because these fuckers waited until three weeks from the con to announce it, when plans have already been made, contracts signed, flights booked) how many do you think will want to come back or support the con in future? How many will want to share the stage with this guy or even be in the same building as him? Most of them have publicly condemned his behaviour, and the ones who haven't expressed anything are still associated with the company that blacklisted him.

That convention has signed its own death warrant with this decision. This isn't like the Schemmel/Kelamis thing from last year where you can just laugh at the petty little voice actor squabble and enjoy the overall experience. This is sending a message that they don't care about the wishes of female fans, professional voice actors or anyone with the basic level of empathy to understand that Vic's behaviour should not be tolerated.

I'd say it's a betrayal to the fans, but judging by the response to the announcement Tweet, a good portion of Dragon Ball fans are worthless, stunted and deserve to be shunned. So they can get the dying convention they deserve I guess. Which is a shame, because by all accounts there was a lot of love put into it by at least some of the people running it.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 am

I just hope Kamehacon doesn't end up regretting their decision if a scandal breaks out at the con.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:59 am

louisascommie wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:25 am
I figured the R word is something a lot of people had in their vocabulary until just a few years ago, I know I only stopped around then.
I don't know if quoting tweets from 3 years ago is a good judge of his character.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 am

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 am I just hope Kamehacon doesn't end up regretting their decision if a scandal breaks out at the con.
Uh...well I hope Vic doesn't do any of his bullshit (not confident in this) but if he does I would absolutely hope Kamehacon regrets it. It would be their damn fault for inviting him.
MozillaVulpix wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:59 am I don't know if quoting tweets from 3 years ago is a good judge of his character.
I dunno, top one's just from a year ago and seems to be attributing a perceived lack of quality in Star Wars to the push for racial diversity among actors, something that effects literally nothing with how well-crafted the series is (especially given that the things about modern Star Wars that people have a right to be angry about are completely divorced from the actors).

I can't say it paints a complete picture of whether he's an anti-SJW MRA "white people are the real victims" troglodyte like many of Vic's supporters, but it doesn't look great.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:10 am

Honestly, Mignogna has probably gained more "fame" from this scandal than he got from being a voice actor. My guess would be that after coming under this much hot water and entering the spotlight to this degree (I know there's been accusations in the past, but never an explosion that compares to this) that he's going to keep a lower profile from here on out. Most people, regardless of their natural inclinations or personality, would be scared by this to avoid a repeat. We'll see, though.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:37 am

Shaddy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 am
gokaiblue wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 am I just hope Kamehacon doesn't end up regretting their decision if a scandal breaks out at the con.
Uh...well I hope Vic doesn't do any of his bullshit (not confident in this) but if he does I would absolutely hope Kamehacon regrets it. It would be their damn fault for inviting him.

My thoughts exactly. I hope nothing happens at the con to cause the organizers to regret their decision, but I fear that we might see some more of Vic's behavior on display.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:41 am

What the hell were they thinking with inviting him?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 pm That's pretty fucking dumb of them. Did they think everyone just forgot about it? Pretend they're not inviting him until they think it's "blown over", then just get right back on their bullshit? If that's the case, that's pretty transparently cynical and manipulative.

Otherwise...well, there's probably someone more specific behind it.
Why not? That’s EXACTLY what happened with James Gunn. People are indeed quick to forget. Especially in this day and age for better or worse. In particular when it comes to what entertains them. As I think I mentioned, I spoke to someone RL who basically said “i don’t care if he’s guilty or not, I like him as a VA and want to see those SJWs cry!” That’s the mindset you’re dealing with.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:45 am
Mate, read the guest list and then reread my post before taking that smug tone. The vast majority of the guest list at this convention are Funimation voice actors. And even if not all of them cancel, hell even if NONE of them do (and if they don't, it'll be because these fuckers waited until three weeks from the con to announce it, when plans have already been made, contracts signed, flights booked) how many do you think will want to come back or support the con in future? How many will want to share the stage with this guy or even be in the same building as him? Most of them have publicly condemned his behaviour, and the ones who haven't expressed anything are still associated with the company that blacklisted him.

That convention has signed its own death warrant with this decision. This isn't like the Schemmel/Kelamis thing from last year where you can just laugh at the petty little voice actor squabble and enjoy the overall experience. This is sending a message that they don't care about the wishes of female fans, professional voice actors or anyone with the basic level of empathy to understand that Vic's behaviour should not be tolerated.

I'd say it's a betrayal to the fans, but judging by the response to the announcement Tweet, a good portion of Dragon Ball fans are worthless, stunted and deserve to be shunned. So they can get the dying convention they deserve I guess. Which is a shame, because by all accounts there was a lot of love put into it by at least some of the people running it.
First of all, I wasn't being smug, so calm it down a bit. I'm just being realistic.
Second, I don't think people that don't cancel should be thought of as any lesser. If they DO cancel, that's their prerogative, but if anyone thinks lesser of anyone for appearing at an event with someone who's thought of to be a scumbag, that's THEIR problem. Guilt by association isn't actual guilt in this kind of situation, especially if the others have readily condemned him. I certainly don't think of them any less if they don't cancel. They can just avoid him. It's simple.
Third, again, vocal minority or people expressing being happy. You can't say this is all fo the Dragon Ball community. Know why? Because you're a part of it. This whole thread is a monument to the fact that a part of the DB community thoroughly HATES that this is a thing &/or is mad at Vic. Why are people being this hyperbolic? Like, it's a sect of the DB community you don't agree with. Many fandoms have these sects. Comes with the territory.
Fourth, business is business. I've said this before, so sorry. If they didn't feel it was something they wanted to do, they wouldn't have done it. I personally feel it's premature or in bad taste too, but I at least can understand why it's done. My motto is, you don't have to understand or like why something happens, but just understand that it just is. Sometimes life doesn't have all the answers, or answers we may like. If you don't like Kamehacon doing this, tell them. You have the means. They'll do what they want regardless.
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 am
Shaddy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 pm That's pretty fucking dumb of them. Did they think everyone just forgot about it? Pretend they're not inviting him until they think it's "blown over", then just get right back on their bullshit? If that's the case, that's pretty transparently cynical and manipulative.

Otherwise...well, there's probably someone more specific behind it.
Why not? That’s EXACTLY what happened with James Gunn. People are indeed quick to forget. Especially in this day and age for better or worse. In particular when it comes to what entertains them. As I think I mentioned, I spoke to someone RL who basically said “i don’t care if he’s guilty or not, I like him as a VA and want to see those SJWs cry!” That’s the mindset you’re dealing with.
With James Gunn, that's a bit different. He legitimately grew as a person since those tweets. Do you think Disney, fucking DISNEY, would hire him back if they didn't do an investigation to make sure he was clean? I don't think so. On top of that, with how Guardians 3 was in development hell since his firing, I'd say they just wanted to have a sure thing here & were elated when the investigation turned up well. Vic HAS done some shit. It's been proven that he did SOME kind of shit over the years. On top of that, this is WAY more bad for all involved, as the last bunch of posts can attest to. Gunn got in trouble for disturbing joke tweets from nearly a decade ago, which he admitted were in poor taste in hindsight. Vic got in trouble for way worse.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:41 am What the hell were they thinking with inviting him?
"Please don't sue us like you're doing to everyone else!"

Cons (and possibly voice actors) have been breaking legally binding contracts left and right. It doesn't matter if Vic is guilty or not. He could be very rich after all this is over. KamehaCon is getting out ahead of the storm.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:19 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:45 am Why not? That’s EXACTLY what happened with James Gunn. People are indeed quick to forget. Especially in this day and age for better or worse. In particular when it comes to what entertains them. As I think I mentioned, I spoke to someone RL who basically said “i don’t care if he’s guilty or not, I like him as a VA and want to see those SJWs cry!” That’s the mindset you’re dealing with.
I don't think it's like James Gunn at all. He was fired over old joke tweets. Horrible, awful jokes, sure, that may have represented a horrible mindset. But those are words, jokes meant to dunk on personal friends. It's far removed from the public sexual harassment towards strangers going on here.

Not that I don't think there's plenty of actors, writers and directors exactly like Mignogna at Marvel/Disney/whatever that just aren't around or are careful enough around their fans to not get caught while horribly mistreating their co-workers in much the same way, but I don't think Gunn is necessarily one of them.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:20 am

It was honestly a horrible decision but even worse they made it 3 weeks before the con so guests who feel uncomfortable or unsafe can’t easily back out.

Note: I am not attending despite having a ticket but I made that decision for financial reasons awhile ago. I was pretty disappointed but now all I feel is relieved.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 am

In a way, the statement was worse than the decision itself. This is the organizers willingly releasing a venomous snake into the building, then making an announcement for everyone to "be positive" and "remember this is about the fandom", putting the onus and responsibility for their own actions on the people paying to attend.

Like it or not, booking Mignogna is making a statement. The days when allegations were more "private" and you could claim ignorance are long gone. Hell, I know first-hand of smaller, much less anime/DB-focused cons that were aware of the allegations and considered them when deciding whether or not to book the guy, and this was years ago. Kamehacon has no excuse. This choice is deliberate, and them making it plainly means they care more about appealing to Mignogna and his cult-like followers than they do the rest of the fandom, or the potential safety and well-being of their other attendees and guests. And that's not something that should be forgotten or forgiven. Especially waiting until three weeks before the show to announce this, likely too late for any vulnerable guests or attendees to change their plans, is totally underhanded and reprehensible. Just awful, awful judgment and behaviour all around.

I sincerely hope good folks with better priorities and judgment organize a different DB con in the future, because IMO there's no way to support this trash anymore.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:24 am

louisascommie wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:25 am
Shaddy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 am I'm not super familiar with geekdom. I've heard him say the word "retarded" before as you describe (I don't think there's much point to referencing it with the first letter if everyone knows it anyway, we're adults here), but what else has he done that sticks out as him being an "anti-sjw" type?
I figured the R word is something a lot of people had in their vocabulary until just a few years ago, I know I only stopped around then.

[img] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2UROX6X0AE ... name=large [img]
[img] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2UROX5W0AY ... name=large [img]
[img] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2UROX5X0AA ... name=large [img]
Welp I'm unsubscribing from his channel now. Thanks for the info.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:25 am

muh contract says i gotta expose muh customers to a pedophile who has been touching little girls for decades lol whoops wut r u gunna do lol take it easy its just a consfgarkghzn'ihdfg'

ESHGFSKDh
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:39 am

Maybe Kamehacon had low ticket sales and they were really desperate? :lol:

But yeah, I agree, this is disgusting. I mean, Funimation FIRED him, and there's no way they'd put that on his name tag at the con.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:25 am muh contract says i gotta expose muh customers to a pedophile who has been touching little girls for decades lol whoops wut r u gunna do lol take it easy its just a consfgarkghzn'ihdfg'

ESHGFSKDh
lol

Yeah it's bullshit. And all it's doing is giving these pathetic Vic sympathizers room to gloat. I fully expect him throughout his panel to talk about how much of a "changed man" he is and how much he "loves all of you" to the crowd.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am

I'm starting to think the Dragon Ball community is overall pretty abysmal outside of this forum, tbh