Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaSith
Regular

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 am

Don't worry guys, all of this will be settled soon in the upcoming court case. We'll find out everything, from the evidence that Funimation found in their investigation, all the way to behind the scenes texts and emails found from discovery. Unless they settle outside of court, we'll know everything. I can't wait until this drama is done and over with. :crazy:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:03 am

To reiterate what's been said many times before, "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't really apply here; none of us are prosecutors, this thread isn't a court of law, and ultimately our opinions don't matter unless you're acting on them in the form of harassment or other such awful acts. Simply forming an opinion based on available testimony is entirely your prerogative.

It's also entirely your prerogative to say you're going to remain on the fence for now, as long as you're still sensitive with that. The neutral position here isn't a binary one of "One is guilty, the other is innocent", the neutral position is being sensitive to both sides; don't harass anybody, and if you see someone harassing someone else whatever the standings, stand up and show zero tolerance for harassment of any kind.

When in doubt, remember Wil Wheaton's golden rule of the internet: Don't be a dick.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am

SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 am Don't worry guys, all of this will be settled soon in the upcoming court case. We'll find out everything, from the evidence that Funimation found in their investigation, all the way to behind the scenes texts and emails found from discovery. Unless they settle outside of court, we'll know everything. I can't wait until this drama is done and over with. :crazy:
Hard truth: it'll NEVER be over. This Vic controversy is going to remain a thing and a part of western Dragon Ball culture for decades, where people bring it up as a reason to hate one side or the other (for example, "I stopped watching DBZ because Rial got Vic fired, #FuckFuni"). It's split the fanbase asunder, and it won't ever go away. And even if Vic is ruled guilty in court, there will be many who will move the goalposts and say "well the legal system's fucked anyway, Vic's still innocent", because now more than ever people just refuse to be open-minded and double-down on whatever their first impression is. Remember, there are still people who refuse to play Bioware games because of the Mass Effect 3 ending (that got FIXED), which was almost a decade ago now.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am Hard truth: it'll NEVER be over. This Vic controversy is going to remain a thing and a part of western Dragon Ball culture for decades, where people bring it up as a reason to hate one side or the other (for example, "I stopped watching DBZ because Rial got Vic fired, #FuckFuni"). It's split the fanbase asunder, and it won't ever go away. And even if Vic is ruled guilty in court, there will be many who will move the goalposts and say "well the legal system's fucked anyway, Vic's still innocent", because now more than ever people just refuse to be open-minded and double-down on whatever their first impression is. Remember, there are still people who refuse to play Bioware games because of the Mass Effect 3 ending (that got FIXED), which was almost a decade ago now.
How melodramatic.

If you get out of the fandom bubble, you'll realize Vic is a grain of sand on a beach. Most of my friends have no idea any of this is going on. Vic doesn't matter and none of this hurts the fandom long term.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am

did someone seriously just compare kiddie-groping to not liking the ending of ME3.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Yeah uhh I was gonna say a similar thing. The faux-uproar over a video game ending has nothing to do with and is hardly equivalent to this, other than the continued tangental gator connection.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 am Hard truth: it'll NEVER be over. This Vic controversy is going to remain a thing and a part of western Dragon Ball culture for decades, where people bring it up as a reason to hate one side or the other (for example, "I stopped watching DBZ because Rial got Vic fired, #FuckFuni"). It's split the fanbase asunder, and it won't ever go away. And even if Vic is ruled guilty in court, there will be many who will move the goalposts and say "well the legal system's fucked anyway, Vic's still innocent", because now more than ever people just refuse to be open-minded and double-down on whatever their first impression is. Remember, there are still people who refuse to play Bioware games because of the Mass Effect 3 ending (that got FIXED), which was almost a decade ago now.
How melodramatic.

If you get out of the fandom bubble, you'll realize Vic is a grain of sand on a beach. Most of my friends have no idea any of this is going on. Vic doesn't matter and none of this hurts the fandom long term.

Sorry but YES it does. What happened with Kameha is proof of that

Just because this doesn’t have an affect on the wider world doesn’t mean there will be no impact even if the impact is only felt in our fandom

I can’t go on twitter without seeing Vic’s crazy fans harassing someone. And the fact that this controversy brought in the alt-right/gamer gate nuts to prey on the anime fandom to me it is a much bigger deal then I think you realize.

Edit: And I also want to say if you are a guy it may not seem as big of a deal for you. But for me as a woman seeing so many female victims harassed for speaking up and for con to suddenly invite back someone accused of sexual harrasment and not even care that makes me feel less safe in a fandom I’ve always felt welcomed and safe in. So yeah sorry to me it is a big deal.

And I’d be thrilled if I was wrong and everything would go back to normal.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Kinokima wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 pm I can’t go on twitter without seeing Vic’s crazy fans harassing someone. And the fact that this controversy brought in the alt-right/gamer gate nuts to prey on the anime fandom to me it is a much bigger deal then I think you realize.
Agreed on the second sentence, but I wouldn't worry about what you see on Twitter too much. Twitter has become a cesspool of garbage in recent years. You can't take two steps without seeing some moronic 'owning the libs' meme likely posted by some MAGAbot. Sure it's annoying to look at - especially when it's everywhere you go - but it's not indicative of the situation as a whole.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am did someone seriously just compare kiddie-groping to not liking the ending of ME3.
The opposite, actually. I'm pretty sure he/she meant that in the sense of "If some people are still angry about something as trivial as the ending to a videogame close to 10 years later, something as important as the Vic scandal will surely remain a source of bitterness and friction for a long time."
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 pm

It just dawned on me that there’s significantly more Internet drama over Vic Mignogna getting fired than there was over Kevin Spacey being replaced by Christopher Plummer. I guess if Kevin Spacey had been a devout Christian with presumably conservative beliefs, Ridley Scott would’ve been an Internet pariah by now.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 pm

Guys, should I still be friends with someone who said 'both sides are at fault in the vic thing" and that the accussations can't be proved or disproved or should I explain to him? I mean, he was unaware they'd been going on for years?

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 pm Guys, should I still be friends with someone who said 'both sides are at fault in the vic thing" and that the accussations can't be proved or disproved or should I explain to him? I mean, he was unaware they'd been going on for years?
Explain to him. There is good and bad on both side and I myself just learned about Vic this year as well.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 pm

If someone is willing to listen to sense and reason you should never miss an opportunity to better educate them on the true nature of the situation. If they're really vehemently determined to miss the forest for the trees then it's likely there are more things wrong with them than just "both sides-ism". Anyone who's actually undecided or staying out of the situation doesn't make a point of advertising their neutrality.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:45 pm

Dr. Casey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm
RandomGuy96 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am did someone seriously just compare kiddie-groping to not liking the ending of ME3.
The opposite, actually. I'm pretty sure he/she meant that in the sense of "If some people are still angry about something as trivial as the ending to a videogame close to 10 years later, something as important as the Vic scandal will surely remain a source of bitterness and friction for a long time."
THANK YOU!

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:08 pm Guys, should I still be friends with someone who said 'both sides are at fault in the vic thing" and that the accussations can't be proved or disproved or should I explain to him? I mean, he was unaware they'd been going on for years?
No, you should ditch your friend because he has a different opinion than you. If you can't change their mind, ignore them forever. That's what friends do.

Lol just kidding :wink:

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm

SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 pm
No, you should ditch your friend because he has a different opinion than you. If you can't change their mind, ignore them forever. That's what friends do.

Not listening to you

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Look to the philosophy of Dr. Kenneth Rogers: you've got to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

If someone is open to considering new ideas, information, and perspectives, and is capable self-reflection and growing and changing if they find their past ideal and opinions were incorrect, they're a keeper. But if they consistently and stubbornly refute basic truths and logic and fail to meet a basic level of empathy, in my experience that's gonna be nothing but headaches, and it may only be a matter of time before it negatively impacts you.

And if we're just dealing with a perpetual "centrist"... as in someone who always takes the middle ground, who refuses to "take a side" in any situation? Consider that they may be very unlikely to have your back if you've been wronged yourself.
Last edited by Bryesque on Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:05 pm

ssj4 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm
SaiyaSith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Not listening to you
lol I would hope so

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:11 am

TKA wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:51 am
How melodramatic.

I doubt the average DB fan even knows who he is. Just plays a minor character in a dub.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 am

Hell, just reading Twitter I got the impression that FMA fans make up a larger part of his fandom due to him voicing Edward Elric. Which makes MUCH more sense, due to that being a starring role in an anime with a pretty devoted fanbase.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!