Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm

This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sat May 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Well there's a lot to consider, ESPECIALLY in that Vic was Broly. Dragon Ball's western fandom is super nostalgia biased in more ways than simply enjoying material that isn't all that good, to the point where insults to Z, insults to Z's old dub, or anything remotely bad about the cast members of that dub, is taken as a personal attack in a manner that goes far beyond a differing opinion or simple statement of beliefs. "It's my childhood, you can't talk about him that way". Broly in particular is idolized as some amazing testament to the idea of strength despite being about as flat and boring a character you could get, but with dumb edgy dialogue and a mary-sue power level to back it up. Any Dragon Ball fans stalwartly defending Vic would be doing so for ANYONE in that role, even if they were fucking horrible actors. "Broly is cool, so he must be cool too", as it were.

Of course, the remainder of these people are the ones who jump to justify ANY sexist or predatory behavior from a man, especially white men, the kind of MRA gamergate redpill fuckboys you see a lot of on twitter (I have looked at a bunch of these people's profiles and nearly ALL of them contain some kind of anti-feminist or "bUt ThE sJwS aRe ThE rEaL oPpReSsOrS" crap), often crossing the line into straight up white supremacists and alt-right crazies. It's probably no coincidence that their favorite phrase for keeping their bigotry under wraps is "hide your power level". Yes, that is a real thing they say.

By contrast, ProJared has much more tangibly substantiated evidence of what happened and I think it's an even MORE cut-and-dry situation, just by virtue of his photos and shit being leaked online, where Vic was deliberatley covert and aiming for plausible deniability from the outset. He's also just some youtube guy who's been around for what, less than a decade? He talks about video games and I knew a lot of people thought he was annoying or condescending before, so while it's a surprise that he was guilty of something THAT bad, it's pretty predictable that people would react the way they did.

If we're sticking with Normalboots, Vic is more comparable to JonTron, where the words and what the person obviously believes in is crystal clear, but fans are constantly scraping at ways to shoot the messenger or otherwise attack anyone that disagrees with the narrative. Like, "oh, he was just conveniently consistently spouting white supremacist beliefs live on twitch for two hours by accident, because Destiny swindled him into misspeaking his beliefs". I mean, don't get me wrong, Destiny is fucking insufferable, but when Jafari then releases videos and tweets substantiating that with "oh you know, I came on a little strong, I just meant people should do whatever is in the best interest of their race (AKA mixed race children are baaaaad!)" and doesn't actually take back anything he said, yeah no shit I'm not gonna believe he was disingenuous.

This is also unfortunately comparable to Jon Jafari in that whatever ends up happening to Vic, I can see him similarly recovering his career and having people like him again for some reason despite ZERO confidence in him changing his behavior.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5461
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Aw man, really? I liked ProJared. I never actually subscribed to him though, so that saves me the effort of unsubscribing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by samuraix123 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm not gonna argue with anyone about this because 1. I honestly don't know enough about Vic or Jared to talk about what they did or didn't do I only catch bits and pieces of what is actually going on. I barely use Facebook and I don't own a twitter(or a cellphone LOL)
but I definitely think for either one of them Christian or no Christian, Fan or no fan of the series, people don't need to defend someone if they're actually guilty. especially over a dumb cartoon.
But I wouldn't put a noose around a man's neck(Vic) just because he said she said. I look at it as ''What if that was me? Would I want to be treated that way knowing I was innocent?'' buuuuuut for Vic it DOES seem likely something funny is going on because of how many cases there are against the man. I don't think all the cases are true etc etc but you can tell something is up. I don't think there's a conspiracy between people to take down Vic. why would there be? lol Why wouldn't they go after the big dogs like Sean or Chris instead of Vic? lol

I wanna ask because I honestly don't know enough about people's reputations but Is TheYellowFlash or other Youtubers, Good? there's some of these guys that just straight up has goofy titles like ''YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT JUST CAME OUT ABOUT VIC!'' with dumb red arrows and circles etc. lol

I also am curious what everyone's opinions are on this question that I'm sure ya'll have went over a 1000's of times but how do you convict a man(Vic) when there's no REAL evidence other than he said she said evidence? I'm not saying Vic isn't guilty so don't come at me like I am, I'm just curious what can be done? I won't lie, I don't even know if there is! real physical proof. that's why I'm asking most of the time I just see people insulting each other so I just stay away lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
SaiyaSith
Regular
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun May 12, 2019 1:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:28 am
Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 pm
Welp, that didn't take long. And all worded against you, mind. That you dismiss his bigotry and open threats as "character attacks" is telling.

I should've known you weren't going to argue this in decent faith given you've both previously defended Rekieta with the very same disingenuous rhetoric and ignored our countless explanations on testimonial evidence, but between your blatant lying and you admitting you don't care about Rekieta's culled propaganda, it's evident there's no fruitful discussion to be had here.
Captain Awesome wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 am
You are so full of shit. You’ve essentially just detailed a conspiracy theory like it is an impartial account of the events.

It used to be comical that you thought you were non-partisan, now it’s beginning to look deranged.
This sums it up for sure. Co-signed. Vacation granted.
Sorry Mike, but can we get an exact clarification in your own words why he was banned for future reference?

User avatar
MasenkoHA
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I wanna ask because I honestly don't know enough about people's reputations but Is TheYellowFlash or other Youtubers, Good? there's some of these guys that just straight up has goofy titles like ''YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT JUST CAME OUT ABOUT VIC!'' with dumb red arrows and circles etc. lol

No. The majority of youtubers are pretty much cancer taking human form.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
While I’m all for attacking organized religion and mocking conservative christians is practically a hobby the difference has nothing to do with Vic’s politics and religious beliefs and way more to do with him being a uber popular dub voice actor and patron god of sad nerds.

Youtubers definitely have their weirdo devotees but its even smaller scale

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4596
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
Oh no! ProJared was this kind of person??? Damn, I loved his playtroughs... S**t.
Now I can't watch it anymore!
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Watch what you want, don't support bad people. None of the money from the Broly DVDs or BDs is going to Vic after all, you shouldn't feel guilty buying them because he's in the movie (you should feel guilty for buying something with the green tint).
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2790
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by coola » Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
While I’m all for attacking organized religion and mocking conservative christians is practically a hobby the difference has nothing to do with Vic’s politics and religious beliefs and way more to do with him being a uber popular dub voice actor and patron god of sad nerds.

Youtubers definitely have their weirdo devotees but its even smaller scale
To be fair, Vic never cheated his wife (and blame that fal out ws her fault) or send pictures of his junk on internet, and ask for nude pictures of 15-16 year old girls (Technically, 16 isnt consider child anymore in lots of countries, with doesnt change the fact it ws pretty creepy, to say the least)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 12, 2019 5:11 pm

He did cheat on his wife, actually. Most of the other stuff you said is probably right though.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2560
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 pm

I do think this is a bit of apples and oranges comparison.

I'm usually the first to say I don't care about infidelity as that is someone's private life, but with Projared there's some pretty well documented financial abuse and gaslighting that makes it a little more serious of a situation than consenting adults just slapping their junk together outside of a marriage. Then there's real evidence of him soliciting sexual images from a minor which I think should be referred to the police if it hasn't been already.

I think the only meaningful thing to be gained from comparing the two is the fan reception, nobody has really rallied around Projared once his behaviour came to light. Which is a sad contrast with Vic Mignogna.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

kemuri07
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by kemuri07 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm

coola wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
While I’m all for attacking organized religion and mocking conservative christians is practically a hobby the difference has nothing to do with Vic’s politics and religious beliefs and way more to do with him being a uber popular dub voice actor and patron god of sad nerds.

Youtubers definitely have their weirdo devotees but its even smaller scale
To be fair, Vic never cheated his wife (and blame that fal out ws her fault) or send pictures of his junk on internet, and ask for nude pictures of 15-16 year old girls (Technically, 16 isnt consider child anymore in lots of countries, with doesnt change the fact it ws pretty creepy, to say the least)
Dude, just don't. Part of the reason why it's gross, regardless of whether or not it's legal is because the the overwhelming power dynamics that is against the child.

ProJared isn't on the level of a Pewdiepie or a Jontron, so I'm not surrprised that he's not really getting that much support.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1731
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:11 pm
He did cheat on his wife, actually. Most of the other stuff you said is probably right though.
Vic cheated on his fiance they were never married to my knowledge.

User avatar
Shaddy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Okay, fair enough, but that's a pretty negligible distinction.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 13, 2019 12:09 am

coola wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
While I’m all for attacking organized religion and mocking conservative christians is practically a hobby the difference has nothing to do with Vic’s politics and religious beliefs and way more to do with him being a uber popular dub voice actor and patron god of sad nerds.

Youtubers definitely have their weirdo devotees but its even smaller scale
To be fair, Vic never cheated his wife (and blame that fal out ws her fault) or send pictures of his junk on internet, and ask for nude pictures of 15-16 year old girls (Technically, 16 isnt consider child anymore in lots of countries, with doesnt change the fact it ws pretty creepy, to say the least)
Note how I said “significant other” and not “wife”. It doesn’t really make much of a difference, though. They’re both guilty of cheating on people they were in relationships with.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2790
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by coola » Mon May 13, 2019 9:06 am

kemuri07 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm
coola wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm
MasenkoHA wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:31 pm


While I’m all for attacking organized religion and mocking conservative christians is practically a hobby the difference has nothing to do with Vic’s politics and religious beliefs and way more to do with him being a uber popular dub voice actor and patron god of sad nerds.

Youtubers definitely have their weirdo devotees but its even smaller scale
To be fair, Vic never cheated his wife (and blame that fal out ws her fault) or send pictures of his junk on internet, and ask for nude pictures of 15-16 year old girls (Technically, 16 isnt consider child anymore in lots of countries, with doesnt change the fact it ws pretty creepy, to say the least)
Dude, just don't. Part of the reason why it's gross, regardless of whether or not it's legal is because the the overwhelming power dynamics that is against the child.

ProJared isn't on the level of a Pewdiepie or a Jontron, so I'm not surrprised that he's not really getting that much support.
With is why i said it might be legal/not punishable by law, but it doesnt make it any less creepy.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1810
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
I fully agree! And this is what makes me despise these #IStandWithVic people even more! I’m proud to be anti Christian and Anti Conservative! These systems of oppression have no place in a rational and compassionate society. This is the 21st century guys. This isn’t about him being the voice actor of “Broly”. No. This is a political and religious move! I am an Illuminist/Hyperian. And politically, i describe to a system called “Meritocracy”. Where everyone will be given an equal chance but not equal outcomes since it’s based on merit.
Oh look.. A human being with an opinion.. What are the odds!?

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5461
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 am
WittyUsername wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:11 pm
This may seem like an odd comparison, but seeing how quickly YouTuber ProJared has been losing subscribers has made me even more convinced that a good chunk of these #IStandWithVic people are only standing behind him because of his religion and politics. Both ProJared and Vic Mignogna have not only been accused of cheating on their significant others, but have also both been accused of creeping on underage girls, yet between the two of them, ProJared is the only one who people on YouTube are rightfully calling out. Funny how that works. I guess according to YouTube, being a (presumably) conservative Christian really is a get out of jail free card...
I fully agree! And this is what makes me despise these #IStandWithVic people even more! I’m proud to be anti Christian and Anti Conservative! These systems of oppression have no place in a rational and compassionate society. This is the 21st century guys. This isn’t about him being the voice actor of “Broly”. No. This is a political and religious move! I am an Illuminist/Hyperian. And politically, i describe to a system called “Meritocracy”. Where everyone will be given an equal chance but not equal outcomes since it’s based on merit.
I'm atheist but I think most Christians are good people. It's just the extreme fundamentalists who give them a bad name.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:59 am

I love you Poly. Thanks for being so nice and accepting.
[spoiler]
Lord Beerus wrote:
Gog wrote:The cell saga/android saga is the worst thing Akira Toriyama ever made. And nothing has ever actually managed to come close to it, after it. Even the terrible asspulls in the FT saga, weren't as bad as that. But of course this is all my opinion. :D
You've just made a new best friend. :mrgreen:
[/spoiler]
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I will not be satisfied until my pessimism crushes your spirit.
Pirina_Fusee wrote:Man that line is trying too hard. "We is Vizzle, we down with da kidzzle dizzle! Emoji!"

Post Reply