Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8827
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm
In the latest chapter of "Nick Rekieta and Ty Beard Don't Know What The Fuck They're Doing," Rekieta got a C&D from Duck Dynasty over infringement regarding his "Fear the Beard" merchandise.

You can't make this shit up.
...And just like that, something from Duck Dynasty actually gets my approval and a laugh out of me. :lol:

I freakin' knew I'd heard something as stupid as 'fear the beard' somewhere before, but no wonder I couldn't remember it. A few years back when that crap was everywhere, I basically mentally blocked everything about it. Apparently well enough that I didn't even recognize it until this came up.

(And for what it's worth, if anyone does like Duck Dynasty, that's fine, I have no umbridge towards you. But living where I do, you usually find yourself tired of the "celebrity rednick" motif pretty quickly.)
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4473
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:14 pm
(And for what it's worth, if anyone does like Duck Dynasty, that's fine, I have no umbridge towards you. But living where I do, you usually find yourself tired of the "celebrity rednick" motif pretty quickly.)
I'm just tired of people with beards crossing their arms on Discovery Channel promo pictures.

Paulo Gabriel
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:29 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:11 am
Asmo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:57 am

Four of us now :D
Five. I probably have Asperger's as well. Actually, one psychiatrist (of several) simply gave up on my case.

There are probably a dozen others on Kanzenshuu.
It makes sense given how fixated and detail-oriented we can be!
Certainly.

User avatar
Bryesque
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Bryesque » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm
In the latest chapter of "Nick Rekieta and Ty Beard Don't Know What The Fuck They're Doing," Rekieta got a C&D from Duck Dynasty over infringement regarding his "Fear the Beard" merchandise.

You can't make this shit up.
Oh my god, these guys. Absolute clownshoes.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:39 pm
In the latest chapter of "Nick Rekieta and Ty Beard Don't Know What The Fuck They're Doing," Rekieta got a C&D from Duck Dynasty over infringement regarding his "Fear the Beard" merchandise.

You can't make this shit up.
Were these guys seriously the best that Vic Mignogna could find?

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 am

Argument I had with a vic stan:

Me: it's odd you defend a guy who you've never met and doesn't even know you
Them:
It's odd you think this guy you never met molests his fans
you shat on vic
he broke down and cried on camera
and you dare call him guilty
fucked up
for real

Urgh

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 am

my bad for the double post

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:07 am

ssj4 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 am
Argument I had with a vic stan:

Me: it's odd you defend a guy who you've never met and doesn't even know you
Them:
It's odd you think this guy you never met molests his fans
you shat on vic
he broke down and cried on camera
and you dare call him guilty
fucked up
for real

Urgh
Eh... That IS a good counter-argument. The "you don't personally know this man" argument goes both ways.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:06 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:07 am
ssj4 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 am
Argument I had with a vic stan:

Me: it's odd you defend a guy who you've never met and doesn't even know you
Them:
It's odd you think this guy you never met molests his fans
you shat on vic
he broke down and cried on camera
and you dare call him guilty
fucked up
for real

Urgh
Eh... That IS a good counter-argument. The "you don't personally know this man" argument goes both ways.
Does it really when all these accusations are there to back him up. Also, the guy probably wasn't thinking of that, he was just regurgitating what I was saying.

User avatar
sailorspazz
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: ZamaBlack love shack
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm

The thing is, even if we don't know him, among the people who do know him, how many are stepping up to say, "no, he's not like that"? Is there anyone outside of paid lawyers (and maybe a family member or two?) who've come out to dispute the things that have been said about him, from the entitled diva behavior to inappropriate conduct? I can't say I've looked for it, but you'd think the Vic stans would be quick to spread it everywhere if there were anyone jumping to his defense...
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8827
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm

sailorspazz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm
The thing is, even if we don't know him, among the people who do know him, how many are stepping up to say, "no, he's not like that"? Is there anyone outside of paid lawyers (and maybe a family member or two?) who've come out to dispute the things that have been said about him, from the entitled diva behavior to inappropriate conduct? I can't say I've looked for it, but you'd think the Vic stans would be quick to spread it everywhere if there were anyone jumping to his defense...
Exactly. As I've said before, I used to be on the pro-Vic side before too, precisely because I didn't know Vic myself and it seemed like the only people accusing him were people who had no proof they'd ever met him before, and likewise it seemed like everyone who we knew for a fact interacted with him, regularly no less, seemed to have no problem with him. For this reason too, I do at least agree that the argument of 'you don't personally know this man' does, in theory, work for both sides of the debate.

Unfortunately, it doesn't hold water in this particular instance anymore though, because as we've seen, a ton of people that we know for a fact know Vic better than any of us regular fans are or ever were going to, have said what he's really like. Have talked about what they've seen him do or say. Have even said that it's happened to them personally. That says all that there is to be said in my book. When even your friends and co-workers suddenly no longer want to have anything to do with you, then 9 times out of 10, chances are it's something about you, not them.

And again, while it's nowhere near the level of the other stuff he's accused of, Vic himself has fully admitted to trying to cheat on his fiance. He's admitted to that. That's not exactly a sign of great character in my book, especially not from someone who also purports to be a Christian. While it doesn't automatically mean anything else is true, it certainly makes it a hell of a lot easier to believe.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm

People cheating on their fiancés/spouses seems to be par for the course as far as America is concerned, and a lot of religious fundamentalists (remember, I said a lot, not all) seem to be pretty forgiving of infidelity so long as you claim to be a devout believer, so I don’t think bringing that up will convince many people.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8827
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm
People cheating on their fiancés/spouses seems to be par for the course as far as America is concerned, and a lot of religious fundamentalists (remember, I said a lot, not all) seem to be pretty forgiving of infidelity so long as you claim to be a devout believer, so I don’t think bringing that up will convince many people.
This is unfortunately true, but it always irks me how a lot of religious people (and as you said, not all, just a lot) like to tell others how to live their lives, while letting things like that slide and also while not living up to their own ideals. To me, cheating on a spouse or fiance is a pretty scummy thing to do regardless of one's religious beliefs too, so it still makes me think less of him just on that one alone.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm
People cheating on their fiancés/spouses seems to be par for the course as far as America is concerned, and a lot of religious fundamentalists (remember, I said a lot, not all) seem to be pretty forgiving of infidelity so long as you claim to be a devout believer, so I don’t think bringing that up will convince many people.
This is unfortunately true, but it always irks me how a lot of religious people (and as you said, not all, just a lot) like to tell others how to live their lives, while letting things like that slide and also while not living up to their own ideals. To me, cheating on a spouse or fiance is a pretty scummy thing to do regardless of one's religious beliefs too, so it still makes me think less of him just on that one alone.
I’ve never been in a relationship, nor do I have any desire to be in one, so maybe I’m not qualified to talk, but I do have some apprehension about labeling any form of infidelity as “scummy”. That might just be because so many people seem to do it, but I feel that if it’s between consenting adults, it’s not really our place to be outraged by it. That’s not a defense of Mignogna, and it’s certainly not a defense of the hypocrites who stand behind him for supposedly being an innocent Christian victim of the big bad SJWs/feminazis/soy boys or whatever, but infidelity seems like it should just be something between the cheaters and the cheated.

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm
I’ve never been in a relationship, nor do I have any desire to be in one, so maybe I’m not qualified to talk, but I do have some apprehension about labeling any form of infidelity as “scummy”. That might just be because so many people seem to do it, but I feel that if it’s between consenting adults, it’s not really our place to be outraged by it. That’s not a defense of Mignogna, and it’s certainly not a defense of the hypocrites who stand behind him for supposedly being an innocent Christian victim of the big bad SJWs/feminazis/soy boys or whatever, but infidelity seems like it should just be something between the cheaters and the cheated.
Well I'm no woman (I'm a straight man), so maybe I don't have the right perspective... But I feel like the only way I'D ever be ok with my man sleeping around is if I explicitly gave him my permission to do so. Anything else is a betrayal of my trust.

Besides, why the H.F.I.L. would I want my man paying child support to some stranger, instead of to MY kids?! How's it fair that I end up having to live with that because HE couldn't keep it in his pants?! Everything my husband does affects me. Everything he does ought to be with me in mind...

...Again, I'm not gay. I'm just attempting to put myself in a woman's head.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm
I’ve never been in a relationship, nor do I have any desire to be in one, so maybe I’m not qualified to talk, but I do have some apprehension about labeling any form of infidelity as “scummy”. That might just be because so many people seem to do it, but I feel that if it’s between consenting adults, it’s not really our place to be outraged by it. That’s not a defense of Mignogna, and it’s certainly not a defense of the hypocrites who stand behind him for supposedly being an innocent Christian victim of the big bad SJWs/feminazis/soy boys or whatever, but infidelity seems like it should just be something between the cheaters and the cheated.
Well I'm no woman (I'm a straight man), so maybe I don't have the right perspective... But I feel like the only way I'D ever be ok with my man sleeping around is if I explicitly gave him my permission to do so. Anything else is a betrayal of my trust.

Besides, why the H.F.I.L. would I want my man paying child support to some stranger, instead of to MY kids?! How's it fair that I end up having to live with that because HE couldn't keep it in his pants?! Everything my husband does affects me. Everything he does ought to be with me in mind...

...Again, I'm not gay. I'm just attempting to put myself in a woman's head.
Like I said, infidelity seems like it should perhaps be a personal matter. I think Michelle Specht has every right to be upset with Vic Mignogna for cheating on her, since that’s a betray of her trust, but as for the rest of us, I don’t think it’s really our business.

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8827
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Don't get me wrong - at the end of the day, it is between the couple in question (in this case, Vic and Michele). And if it were an open relationship, where they were both aware of it and on board with it, that would be a completely different story. I'm a one-person relationship person myself, but if two consenting adults decide that they're both okay with their partners having other partners, whether they're married or just dating or whatever then that's fine. That's between them, and the other people involved with them.

But that's not what happened in this particular case. Michele was very much not aware of what Vic was doing or trying to do apparently, and the guy even tried to get into bed with one of her best friends, and she most certainly doesn't seem to have approved of such an idea. The fact that Vic neither brought it up to her, nor does he deny it, both while still claiming to be a fine, upstanding Christian (a religion that, based on my own experiences with Southern Baptists at least, very much do not approve of such things, not even equally open relationships in the first place)? That's about as scummy and hypocritical as it gets. And while it's still a matter to be dealt with between them, I think we're within our rights to call it as such.

We're getting somewhat off topic though, since the real heart of this particular matter is all of the other wrongs Vic has done irregardless of being in a relationship or not.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 am

Going back to the subject of Vic and the industry: This is a point I've always made as well, but how many notable folks have come out in support of him? I know there was the *Reuben Langdon goofiness, but as far as Funimation's clique goes, I only recall vast support of Monica.

*It really does speak volumes the only guy I can think of is a QAnon conspiracist.

Paulo Gabriel
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm
WittyUsername wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm
People cheating on their fiancés/spouses seems to be par for the course as far as America is concerned, and a lot of religious fundamentalists (remember, I said a lot, not all) seem to be pretty forgiving of infidelity so long as you claim to be a devout believer, so I don’t think bringing that up will convince many people.
This is unfortunately true, but it always irks me how a lot of religious people (and as you said, not all, just a lot) like to tell others how to live their lives, while letting things like that slide and also while not living up to their own ideals. To me, cheating on a spouse or fiance is a pretty scummy thing to do regardless of one's religious beliefs too, so it still makes me think less of him just on that one alone.
I’ve never been in a relationship, nor do I have any desire to be in one, so maybe I’m not qualified to talk, but I do have some apprehension about labeling any form of infidelity as “scummy”. That might just be because so many people seem to do it, but I feel that if it’s between consenting adults, it’s not really our place to be outraged by it. That’s not a defense of Mignogna, and it’s certainly not a defense of the hypocrites who stand behind him for supposedly being an innocent Christian victim of the big bad SJWs/feminazis/soy boys or whatever, but infidelity seems like it should just be something between the cheaters and the cheated.
Infidelilty involves dishonesty, and that is something bad in almost any ethical system, be it theistic or atheistic.

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Rekieta caught lying again -- apparently he'd been spinning some narrative over Monica and Ron's supposed hypocrisy over filing a confidentiality agreement, although they're only keeping quiet on anonymous victims.

Locked