Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:05 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:44 pm
I think a (small) part of it is how popular Broly is in the west. BIG SMASH MAN came at just the right time in many peoples' childhoods to be their escapist fantasy. They could imagine themselves as Broly and all their problems seemed insignificant.
Some of them didn't grow up, it seems. :lol:
Of course there's also the fangirls who love Edward Elric.

Speaking of which, Edward Elric is the only other role I knew of Vic's until Rohan from JoJo part 4. People are selling him like he's voiced every character known to humanity.

Right. I don’t keep up much with anime to begin with but I didn’t even know he voiced Broly for Funimation until Super Broly came out. I just knew him as that dude who voiced that dude in Full Metal Alchemist and the guy who sang Dragon Soul for the Dragon Ball Kai broadcast edit

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8834
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:44 pm
I think a (small) part of it is how popular Broly is in the west. BIG SMASH MAN came at just the right time in many peoples' childhoods to be their escapist fantasy. They could imagine themselves as Broly and all their problems seemed insignificant.
Some of them didn't grow up, it seems. :lol:
Of course there's also the fangirls who love Edward Elric.

Speaking of which, Edward Elric is the only other role I knew of Vic's until Rohan from JoJo part 4. People are selling him like he's voiced every character known to humanity.
He has done a fairly sizeable amount of work for anime voice-over, and some games too - it's hardly the amount of work some other VA's have done, but he's definitely more than a one-and-done too. That said, the fact that so many people, even outside the Dragon Ball fandom and just in the anime fandom period, are harping on BRoly specifically and not Edward Elric, an even bigger role for him, just further shows how little a lot of them actually care. Broly is arguably one of his most popular roles, but in the grand zeitgest of things? Even Junpei Iori from the Persona games or Dark Mousy from DNAngel matter far more as being team members and/or leads of their respective series, versus 'bad guy who appeared in three movies and inexplicably went on to be in every video game ever and now has a new version'.

As far as Rohan goes, I'm still wondering how that's going to go. He finished voicing the character for the series proper, but I'm willing to bet we'll probably get the Rohan OVA's at some point in the future too, which begs the question if Viz will continue to employ him, or if they'll recast the character. They've never made any kind of statement in regards to the situation, so it's hard to call.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

ZodiacBeast
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm

I knew that he'd had other roles, but Broly and Ed Elric are the ones that are brought up over and over and -.
To people who don't know (or don't look it up) it would seem like he's voiced three characters in his entire career.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:02 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm
I knew that he'd had other roles, but Broly and Ed Elric are the ones that are brought up over and over and -.
To people who don't know (or don't look it up) it would seem like he's voiced three characters in his entire career.
Edward Elric was definitely the.big one for him.

I never really thought Broly was such a career defining role. In fact I barely remembered he voiced him until this new movie came along


If only they had recast him. It would have been the perfect time for it too.

ZodiacBeast
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Mr. Doucette is posting parts of Funimation's TCPA/Anti-SLAPP motion.
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 0914775040

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm
Mr. Doucette is posting parts of Funimation's TCPA/Anti-SLAPP motion.
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 0914775040
They did not come to play.

Image

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2781
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 pm

And lest we forget...

Image

What happens when we go past Exhibit Z? Does it start being Exhibit AA? Like in an Excel sheet?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4746
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:48 am

I wonder who the former Funimation employee could be? A member of the staff? Nadolny maybe? (oh, wait, that was other problems)
Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:46 am
Remember how the Tekko CEO flipped out on Twitter when Montello called out the con? He finally responded to her emails only to go on self-pity rants. Note his irrational fears over a lawsuit/"internet lynchings".
Ugh, so attention whore deflector shield, then.
MasenkoHA wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Right. I don’t keep up much with anime to begin with but I didn’t even know he voiced Broly for Funimation until Super Broly came out. I just knew him as that dude who voiced that dude in Full Metal Alchemist and the guy who sang Dragon Soul for the Dragon Ball Kai broadcast edit
And sadly the only GOOD Dragon Soul in English, which really sucks.

I think Vic's popularity is mainly due to the popularity of Broly as a "character", or more accurately, a figure. He grabs westerner's attention because he pivots so very hard into the whole Power Level shtick: his entire reason for being is to completely ignore how powerful everybody else is, and for western DBZ fans that is the equivalent to strong pornography. He's not an interesting character, certainly by Second Coming his potential had been squashed, but if he can be dubbed the "most powerful character ever no it doesn't matter who else you bring up", he's a hit.

Vic's just been riding off the coattails of that, particularly with that fan club of his that he endorsed (and to my knowledge has made no effort to dis-endorse).

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6380
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 am

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:48 am
I wonder who the former Funimation employee could be? A member of the staff? Nadolny maybe? (oh, wait, that was other problems)
Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:46 am
Remember how the Tekko CEO flipped out on Twitter when Montello called out the con? He finally responded to her emails only to go on self-pity rants. Note his irrational fears over a lawsuit/"internet lynchings".
Ugh, so attention whore deflector shield, then.
MasenkoHA wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:05 pm
Right. I don’t keep up much with anime to begin with but I didn’t even know he voiced Broly for Funimation until Super Broly came out. I just knew him as that dude who voiced that dude in Full Metal Alchemist and the guy who sang Dragon Soul for the Dragon Ball Kai broadcast edit
And sadly the only GOOD Dragon Soul in English, which really sucks.

I think Vic's popularity is mainly due to the popularity of Broly as a "character", or more accurately, a figure. He grabs westerner's attention because he pivots so very hard into the whole Power Level shtick: his entire reason for being is to completely ignore how powerful everybody else is, and for western DBZ fans that is the equivalent to strong pornography. He's not an interesting character, certainly by Second Coming his potential had been squashed, but if he can be dubbed the "most powerful character ever no it doesn't matter who else you bring up", he's a hit.

Vic's just been riding off the coattails of that, particularly with that fan club of his that he endorsed (and to my knowledge has made no effort to dis-endorse).
I think Vic's popularity with the greater anime fanbase has more to do with Edward Elric than Broly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Fionordequester
I Live Here
Posts: 2781
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:06 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:10 am
I think Vic's popularity with the greater anime fanbase has more to do with Edward Elric than Broly.
Kind of brilliant, really.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Grabs the boys with Broly

2) Grabs the girls with Elric & others

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sort of works out for him, doesn't it?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

User avatar
Bryesque
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Bryesque » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:17 am

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:34 pm
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm
Mr. Doucette is posting parts of Funimation's TCPA/Anti-SLAPP motion.
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 0914775040
They did not come to play.

Image
So would this mean Funi's investigation went through Sony's HR before they took action? I naturally assumed that'd be the process... but you'd figure a company of that size and prominence would make sure they had their bases covered in these situations. As I'm sure they do.

If this all goes the way it looks like it'll go, Vic had better hope there's good money in his Christian music CDs. He's shown himself very publicly to be a massive liability, and a litigious one at that. Who in their right mind would risk hiring him now?

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am

I am looking forward to when all the money from the ridiculous Go Fund Me has to be used to payback the defendants legal fees. :lol:


Also Greg has shared the whole TCPA motion here

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/statu ... 38242?s=21

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am

So funi is suing vic? Lmao, good. He deserves to crash and burn

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 am

ssj4 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am
So funi is suing vic? Lmao, good. He deserves to crash and burn
No they filed an ANTI SLAPP . It’s a law Texas (and other states have) to protect people against frivolous law suits. If the judge grants them this, Vic may be forced to pay Funi’s Attorney fees.

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm

So this is interesting: Monica and Ron have filed a Litigation Hold. As I'm understanding it, this means the people cited within are legally required to maintain any and all of the relevant documentation listed within. In case you don't know who's who, here's something I stole off Twitter:

Image

I know Haberkorn's been cited as another abuser and has appeared on Rekieta's stream once or twice, but Chuck Huber's a surprise in that I don't recall his relevance being mentioned before? As far as I know, he's starred in some Christian programs with Vic and believes in some wacky shit (I know he's elaborated on flat-earth conspiracies in an interview), but obviously that's nothing criminal.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 pm

ssj4 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 am
So funi is suing vic? Lmao, good. He deserves to crash and burn.
The way he's handled this whole thing has resulted in one big mess. It would've been so much easier for him to simply admit he had issues and that he would seek help to treat them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Mr.Saturn99 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm
So this is interesting: Monica and Ron have filed a Litigation Hold. As I'm understanding it, this means the people cited within are legally required to maintain any and all of the relevant documentation listed within. In case you don't know who's who, here's something I stole off Twitter:

Image

I know Haberkorn's been cited as another abuser and has appeared on Rekieta's stream once or twice, but Chuck Huber's a surprise in that I don't recall his relevance being mentioned before? As far as I know, he's starred in some Christian programs with Vic and believes in some wacky shit (I know he's elaborated on flat-earth conspiracies in an interview), but obviously that's nothing criminal.
A bit a shame to hear he is involved with this whole mess because I liked Chuck Huber.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Wait, is chuck being mediator a bad thing? Does it mean he supports Vic?

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8834
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:27 pm

I'd been hearing the couple of things about Chuck lately, which are somewhat disappointing. I still don't think it's quite time to toss him in the same boat as Vic himself, or even Todd (who has his own accusations to deal with potentially), but him being listed here does definitely seem like he's involved at least in a legal aspect.

I'm hoping that with him being listed as mediator, hopefully it just means he's perfectly in the middle, and has just been trying to keep everything from spiraling too far out of control...which...means he's been pretty abysmal at that, obviously, but I'm just holding out hope that there's hope for him yet as a person.
My Writing Endeavors - Twitter
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

ssj4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:27 pm
I'd been hearing the couple of things about Chuck lately, which are somewhat disappointing. I still don't think it's quite time to toss him in the same boat as Vic himself, or even Todd (who has his own accusations to deal with potentially), but him being listed here does definitely seem like he's involved at least in a legal aspect.

I'm hoping that with him being listed as mediator, hopefully it just means he's perfectly in the middle, and has just been trying to keep everything from spiraling too far out of control...which...means he's been pretty abysmal at that, obviously, but I'm just holding out hope that there's hope for him yet as a person.
What is disappointing about Chuck?

Locked