Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:57 am

It's not gonna last. According to Rial they've been through this song and dance several times and he doesn't change, he just waits for things to die down before getting right back on his bullshit. Either way, she can't forgive him on the behalf of all the other people he's hurt, and likely doesn't want to.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 am

Scsigs wrote: I mean, would he? Here's the thing. We don't know if they're going to replace him. For all we know, they're just gonna ghost him & just keep him to the few recurring roles he has with them. And, even then, Linda Young was replaced only as Frieza & only due to not being able to talk fast enough to keep up with the pace of Kai's scripts & Nadolny was only replaced due to creative differences with how she should voice Gohan. Brad Jackson was also replaced as Oolong for Kai due to availability issues during that time, but has been back most of the time since Battle of Gods' dub was recorded. After this movie, unless there's an extended version that'll add more scenes with Broly (which, Toei might do, since BOG & RF got those for their later TV airings, as well as what I've heard of there being scenes that felt like they were cut short a bit), or if the arc's adapted into more episodes of Super (which I hope not, since Super's adaptations of BOG & RF, while nice, weren't really needed, nor did they tell the stories that much differently than said movies) Vic's only gonna be called back for future video games. Hell, he's probably already recorded for Super's Broly in FighterZ, so it's not like FUNi, or Bandai, are gonna be under constant fire for still having him in the cast when he barely gets work as Broly as-is, y'know?
Scsigs... They ARE going to replace Mignogna. If Funimation replaced Mignogna in Morose Mononokean, then there is no doubt someone else will voice Broly from this point forward (I'm not sure about the home release of DBS: Broly, though).
Mignogna's done for.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:16 am

I don't think we should be so hasty to say they absolutely will. Funimation is a company. They're going to weigh this as a cost/benefit analysis. Is the press of "this company got rid of a total creep" worth not having a voice actor that people recognize? If he is expunged it's not going to be because it was the right thing to do, it'll be because they can afford it and want to be recognized for it.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4621
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 am

Wow. I was always this guy that said, OK, Metoo is pretty crazy shit, as it not only destroys those who deserve it, but people got too wild with allegations sometimes not caring much about the presumption of innocence, so I've stepped down from discussing it.
But this? God, this guy is insane! You know, if the fan asks or you ask, is it OK to hug you for a photo? Well, why not. But behaving like this towards teenage girls without their consent, that's this weird ''perverted uncle'' stuff.
There is nothing to prove here with law, this is guy in his late 40's behaving like sleazy douche. This is not how you treat women, at all.
Also, he is in position of power, being the actor fans love. He has some mental issue or is outright dumb, I don't know.
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:05 am

Should these discussions even be happening here? This is a forum about Dragon Ball media whereas Vic M. is a voice-actor, a voice-actor of the English FUNimation cast. There'd be more of a valid point to discussing a matter if it was a member of the Japanese cast +this is a Japanese product after all) because foreign dubs.. there are a ton and who knows which VA has done what or if it went unreported.

It's not exactly very relevant to the forum or the franchise but rather FUNimation.

Anyway, FUNimation needs to reevaluate their company and employees, and how they treat them (according to reviews by ex-FUNi employee members). Chris Sabat should for example stop voicing so many characters cause they end up sounding all the same. Hire new VAs that are qualified to do the jobs.

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:23 am

Scsigs wrote:
XanatosVanBadass wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:
They cant telll what the charged. Kissing on the cheek? Hugging?. For that they gonna destroy him?
LMAO. People, Vic will be just fine in the long term. Relax. Yeah, he’s taking a few hits now (understandably), but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s voice acting again in a couple years after laying low for awhile. Look at Mel Gibson, there’s explicit evidence that he’s a wife beating, racist, anti-semetite that really really REALLY loves blow jobs. He then went on to direct an academy award winning film. Hell, Louis CK and the allegations are FAR more troublesome than Vic’s yet he’s back at doing stand up after barely a year.

So yeah, I wouldn’t be so dramatic.
And yet Louis came under heavy fire & derision. He's not touring right now, he's just doing some nights at a club or 2 in NYC. He's been criticized for coming out to do more stand-up a bit too quickly & the subject matter of his jokes are really not going well, since he chose to make fun of the Parkland survivors. I love Louis' comedy & style, but to be honest, that's NOT how he should've handled a comeback whatsoever.
And yet he’s still selling out at every venue he appears in. Despite the articles written about how poorly timed and unfunny his new material is, he’s proven to be killing on stage even to the point of getting standing ovations. He’s not where he once was, true, but he’s slowly getting there regardless of the narrative a few articles are pushing.

Dooiney
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:10 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Dooiney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 am

Honestly, right now the best possible scenario for Mignogna (and let’s face it, it isn’t good), is that there are dozens, of not hundreds, of photos and videos documenting him touching young girls intimately and kissing them. They have existed for a long time, but now everyone’s attention is on them and it’s a bad look to have for anyone associated with him.

There is also proof of him giving out his number to minors. While there isn’t really anything *incriminating* in the recordings, the fact that he gave out his number is totally inappropriate.

I wonder how many parents were aware of any of this? I know that if I had a teenage daughter, I would absolutely not feel comfortable seeing her in one of these pictures or videos, let alone having some middle-aged man’s personal number, regardless of the reason.

I work with young people, and very periodically we do ‘safe environment’ training. This is not only to protect the children, but also ourselves and to prevent situations like this from happening. If any of our workers or volunteers behaved this way, they would be in violation of just about every rule put in place. And to all of you saying that many of the girls gave consent at the time, I’m sorry but you are wrong. A minor cannot legally give consent. *Technical* sexual assault is still sexual assault. Regardless of his intention... You. Just. Don’t. Do. That. Shit. Period.

I’ve said so much and I’ve only covered the concrete, irrefutable evidence against him. Many of the testimonies I’ve read paint a far more sinister story. Granted, there are some that are much less credible (“My friend’s friend saw him take a 14-year-old to his hotel room,” etc.), there are PLENTY of first-hand accounts that are simply nauseating to read about. Even other professionals in his field are starting to speak out. This does not bode well for him.

To anyone loudly proclaiming that there isn’t any *proof* of his behavior and “innocent before proven guilty” and that these girls should have come foreword when it happened, please take into consideration the fact that there may be people on this forum and elsewhere who have been assaulted. It happened to me when I was 12. Nearly 20 years ago. In those 20 years I’ve only talked about it twice. Twice. YEARS after the fact. Once with a psychiatrist and once recently with some close friends. Why didn’t I come forward when it happened? Quite a few reasons, actually. Because it made me feel incredibly ashamed. Because it was emasculating. Because it had taken my already-low self-esteem and smashed it to pieces. Because I tried to rationalize what had happened. Because I was afraid of what people would say when they learned my assaulter was male. And, even if I wanted to pursue legal action, what *proof* would I have had of something that happened behind closed doors? When people say they need to see evidence, they fail to realize that most crimes, especially those of this nature, happen with no witnesses. Often, the victims LITERALLY only have their word against another, and unfortunately the assaulter usually has some sort of advantage (position of power, influence over a community, etc.). So, I beg of you, please keep this stuff in mind and choose your words carefully when voicing your opinion. By all means, you are entitled to have one. Just be considerate.

Even if you think some of the testimonies are being blown out of proportion (I’ll admit, there are a few that initially hit me as a tad superfluous or hyperbolic), it really isn’t our place to decide for someone else what their experiences are.

Yes, “innocent until proven guilty” stands. In a court of law. But right now, the court of public opinion is going to determine the outcome of his career whether charges are filed or not. A company can’t afford losing business over something like this, so cutting ties with him is really their only option right now. It really sucks for him, but even with the best-case scenario, his career is over and I don’t see it ever bouncing back to what it once was.

Look, I was a fan of his when Fullmetal Alchemist debuted and I’ve enjoyed him in plenty of other roles since and have always found him to be extremely talented, so this whole thing is hard to swallow. I really like to try to see the best in people and I hope he’s only guilty of having several MAJOR lapses in judgement, but I have to stand with the victims, and in doing so, accepting some hard truths in the process.

If you managed to read through all of this, thank you for your time. I’m sorry it’s so jumbled—it was written in a stream of consciousness on my phone. Just had to get my thoughts out.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Cetra » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:11 am

"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 am

I'm so sad about the lack of fairness in this world... I'm so sad that some people should deal with false accusations... and I hope that this situation will make Vic even stronger. & what I know for sure is that good people always win at the end. :D
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16382
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 am

Please don't just post things with no context and wander off as if that's sufficient. Who is this? Why is this credible? If all y'all wanna talk about credibility and fairness, actually engage in it.
BrolyKale wrote:I'm so sad about the lack of fairness in this world... I'm so sad that some people should deal with false accusations... and I hope that this situation will make Vic even stronger. & what I know for sure is that good people always win at the end. :D
Continued "the voice actor whose screams you liked in your cartoon doesn't need you as his moral cheerleader" response here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Sin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:00 am

BrolyKale wrote:I'm so sad about the lack of fairness in this world... I'm so sad that some people should deal with false accusations... and I hope that this situation will make Vic even stronger. & what I know for sure is that good people always win at the end. :D
It truly is a shame, that all those unique and unconnected people should, over the span of around a decade, falsely accuse somebody or find strength in others truths and the current climate to step forward now and present their story.

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Should these discussions even be happening here? This is a forum about Dragon Ball media whereas Vic M. is a voice-actor, a voice-actor of the English FUNimation cast. There'd be more of a valid point to discussing a matter if it was a member of the Japanese cast +this is a Japanese product after all) because foreign dubs.. there are a ton and who knows which VA has done what or if it went unreported.

It's not exactly very relevant to the forum or the franchise but rather FUNimation.

Anyway, FUNimation needs to reevaluate their company and employees, and how they treat them (according to reviews by ex-FUNi employee members). Chris Sabat should for example stop voicing so many characters cause they end up sounding all the same. Hire new VAs that are qualified to do the jobs.
I mean the fact that Vic just starred in the biggest movie release in the franchise (hell, the biggest thing happening in it right now in general), in the incredibly high-profile and long-running English dub that is the only way to see said movie for the vast majority of Western fans, and the fact that this thread has amassed 23 pages would suggest that yes, this is a topic of interest here.

Also, while Funimation does have a duty to respond to and address this matter (which they have started to do by removing him from one of their simudubs, not to mention in-house VAs like Monica Rial speaking out), Vic doesn't technically work for them. It just so happens that they're the ones who gave him his biggest roles.

Also, not sure how it's relevant at all to this discussion, but...Chris Sabat has actually hired a bunch of new actors to play his old characters recently (one of whom was Migogna as Burter in Kai, oops) and hasn't added any new ones to his roster in years apart from Super Shenron which hardly counts. He probably voices fewer regulars than Masako Nozawa at this point, that complaint is old news.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 am

I said I wouldn't post anymore, but since people keep throwing potshots at me: I think it's interesting that the (very obvious) liberal middle-class and elite on this forum is blowing this out of proportion while simultaneously calling the skeptical, presumably working class (at least I speak for myself), members sheltered. The proletariat, who deals with legitimate homophobia, sexism and racism on a daily basis, is sheltered, while those who complain about a kiss on the cheek are not.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12590
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 am

Ah, yes, the tried-and-true time-honored tradition of dozens of people coming out and calling a Z-list actor a asshole and sexual assaulter for shits and giggles. Truly remarkable and fun.
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Sin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 am

Doctor. wrote:I said I wouldn't post anymore, but since people keep throwing potshots at me: I think it's interesting that the (very obvious) liberal middle-class and elite on this forum is blowing this out of proportion while simultaneously calling the skeptical, presumably working class (at least I speak for myself), members sheltered. The proletariat, who deals with legitimate homophobia, sexism and racism on a daily basis, is sheltered, while those who complain about a kiss on the cheek are not.
In that case I would say the threshold you have within your mind for what constitutes sexual harassment is different than the majority of the western world in 2019. I don't want you to take it too personally because I like you as a poster on the boards, but I think your mindset is outdated and you're perhaps too stubborn or purposely ignorant to realise that.

At some point it was okay to be homophobic and a racist, but over time both of those things have become less and less acceptable to the point where in a crowded room of 100 you might only find a handful of people who are willing to be open about being either of those things. Why does it bother you so much that people are now more concerned with correct consent?

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:51 am

JulieYBM wrote:Ah, yes, the tried-and-true time-honored tradition of dozens of people coming out and calling a Z-list actor a asshole and sexual assaulter for shits and giggles. Truly remarkable and fun.
I didn't say this.
Sin wrote:In that case I would say the threshold you have within your mind for what constitutes sexual harassment is different than the majority of the western world in 2019. I don't want you to take it too personally because I like you as a poster on the boards, but I think your mindset is outdated and you're perhaps too stubborn or purposely ignorant to realise that.

At some point it was okay to be homophobic and a racist, but over time both of those things have become less and less acceptable to the point where in a crowded room of 100 you might only find a handful of people who are willing to be open about being either of those things. Why does it bother you so much that people are now more concerned with correct consent?
I have nothing against you; I am, however, starting to get annoyed by the people who presume they know who I am and what I think and, especially, what kind of life I've had. I don't think my mindset is outdated because I think what constitutes as "consent" or "sexual assault" has swung too far left in environments where those problems are largely non-existent, at least compared to the environments where they are very prominent. My point was that it's entirely hypocritical and shows a surprising lack of self-awareness to call those who have likely dealt with worse "sheltered."

Perhaps in an environment populated by middle-class people, such as university or a white-collar office environment, but definitely not in rural areas, among working class people that constitute the vast majority of the population. And both as a member of the LGB(T) community and a child to working class parents, I know that well enough. The main point I'm making is that the people calling others sheltered would have an aneurysm in a blue-collar environment, and would resort to the typical, ignorant, tone deaf and largely impotent liberal middle-class response of "call them out on it/sue them" while completely failing and refusing to understand where those sorts of attitudes came from and why they exist; and, perhaps more importantly, to understand the people.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12590
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 am

Doctor. wrote:I said I wouldn't post anymore, but since people keep throwing potshots at me: I think it's interesting that the (very obvious) liberal middle-class and elite on this forum is blowing this out of proportion while simultaneously calling the skeptical, presumably working class (at least I speak for myself), members sheltered. The proletariat, who deals with legitimate homophobia, sexism and racism on a daily basis, is sheltered, while those who complain about a kiss on the cheek are not.
Hi, working class girl here. I'm part of the 50% of laborers in the United States with an income of $30,000 or less a year. I'm a progressive and work in retail. I've been called 'faggot' and 'fairy' for just trying to be myself and do my job correctly. Customers complain about my appearance to my co-workers and manages, "What am I supposed to tell my kids?!" Guess what? Shoving your dick against someone's neck, touching the hips of and kissing minors and fucking people who are unable to make an informed decision due to being wasted still makes you a piece of shit sexual assaulter. Defending clearly evidence-backed and peer-backed claims of sexual assault makes one if not a monstrous asshole then a sheltered child.

--Julie
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5710
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

Downplaying his actions by calling just a hug or a kiss on the cheek is completely dishonest and ignores a lot of the evidence.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7737
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 am

Doctor. wrote: I have nothing against you; I am, however, starting to get annoyed by the people who presume they know who I am and what I think and, especially, what kind of life I've had.
That's very true and you even demonstrate it later:
And both as a member of the LGB(T) community and a child to working class parents, I know that well enough.
Given all I have seen of your opinions on various subjects here, I could definitely see the second part, but never the first. At least I just kept my assumptions to myself, so that's good, instead of just going around and acting like I really knew your entire life.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:14 am

JulieYBM wrote:and fucking people who are unable to make an informed decision due to being wasted still makes you a piece of shit sexual assaulter
Not interested in debating the Todd Haberkorn case, so I'm gonna nip that in the bud right now.
JulieYBM wrote:I've been called 'faggot' and 'fairy' for just trying to be myself and do my job correctly. Customers complain about my appearance to my co-workers and manages, "What am I supposed to tell my kids?!"
If you understand what a working-class environment is like, then surely you must understand how much more of a toxic environment it is when it comes to genuine bigotry. What Vic did would be classified as nothing more than general playfulness among most working-class members. If you think most of the working-class are "monstrous assholes" then that's your prerogative, but I'm not willing to condemn an entire group of people because they're less sensitive and more hardened than the liberal middle-class and elite that exploit them.

As for "I earn $30,000 a year," I can't say I know much about the standard of living in the United States, but that's more than double what my parents collectively earn. Again, and with all due respect, not very self-aware to call others "sheltered" when you live in your United States bubble.
JulieYBM wrote:Shoving your dick against someone's neck, touching the hips of and kissing minors
I can't get behind the idea that general playfulness and friendliness, or that innocent but unwanted sexual advances wherein no erogenous zone had been touched, or just that general awkward and creepy behavior around young girls, are sexual assault, sorry.
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Downplaying his actions by calling just a hug or a kiss on the cheek
That's literally what he did, at least until/if Monica Rial comes out with her testimony. I'll be more than willing to change sides if the information she provides paints a different picture, but not if it's more of the same misinterpreted playfulness or unwanted sexual advances.

Post Reply