Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13607
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 am

Always wanted to be morally and ethically r*ped. Maybe that'll straighten me out and make me a good Christian girl, right daddy? No more girldick, just big, strong manly cocks.

...wait...
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am

So no one noticed how I mentioned that slavery in fiction such as shield hero is different from what happened in America.
jjgp1112 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:48 am
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:27 am
I'm African American myself first of all. Secondly the world is not black and white. Slavery was used to abuse people for several hundreds but that is because the masters were bad people.

In the context of shield hero while he has slaves his slaves are treated well and of slavery was still a law in the united states and I was forced into it I'd rather have Naofumi then someone who would beat me for not working the way he wanted.

There is good and evil everywhere and shades of grey to everything. To label Nafumi with the monsters from 2000 years ago just because his friends are technically slaves is an injustice to me.
Nahhh fam, I'm gonna have to speak for myself and the other black people on here when I say this:

NIGGA, PLEASE.

There's no such thing as "good slavery." There's no shades of grey with it. He "treats them well" is abuser logic.
Not talking about in real life.

I said Nafomi is better than white slavers from 200 years ago and that the act of owning slaves didn't make one evil. Just like not everyone in word that commits a crime is a bad person.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:00 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheNingen » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 am


Some Protips here guys, for those of you whose parents, family, guardians, and school system were apparently complete and abject fucking failures at their job:

1) Expert martial arts training in real life doesn't actually grant you the ability to fly or fire energy beams from your hands.

2) Getting bitten by a radioactive spider won't actually turn you into a superhero. It will probably just given you a nasty skin rash, if anything.

4) As weirdly and inexplicably "exotic" as the UK apparently seems to come off as to some diehard Britophiles out there, no, Britain doesn't actually have a school for witchcraft and wizardry, and when you actually call people in real life "Muggles" out loud as a grown adult, you sound like a total fucking lunatic moron.
Well fuck. There goes my will to live.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6061
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

A 'good' slave owner would free their slaves.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4742
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:49 am

I recall Assassin's Creed: Odyssey had a sidequest that explored this subject actually, but you'd preferably not have the relationship at all (no, not in the game as a media product, I meant in-universe).

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:16 am

Another issue is the slave girl in Shield Hero is literally ten years old. Granted, she grows and matured into a young woman as she levels up, but still. She falls in love with him in a way that gives off Stockholm syndrome vibes. Just creepy any way you try and rationalize it, especially since she volunteers to have her slave crest reapplied.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6061
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:16 am
Another issue is the slave girl in Shield Hero is literally ten years old. Granted, she grows and matured into a young woman as she levels up, but still. She falls in love with him in a way that gives off Stockholm syndrome vibes. Just creepy any way you try and rationalize it, especially since she volunteers to have her slave crest reapplied.
This show just gets worse the more I hear about it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Mr.Saturn99
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Mr.Saturn99 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Of course I'd witness Mike Dunford engaging with a Confederate descendant/apologist endorsing slavery on Biblical grounds not even five minutes after fleeing the mind-numbing rationalizations here.

Good god, people.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Slavery is inherently dehumanizing and cruel, treating sentient beings as property with no agency over themselves. More than that it's almost always prejudiced toward certain groups and not equally represented, so even if you're not talking about American slavery you still get a little bit of that sweet sweet minority oppression.

Image

Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2615
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am

Not talking about in real life.

I said Nafomi is better than white slavers from 200 years ago and that the act of owning slaves didn't make one evil. Just like not everyone in word that commits a crime is a bad person.
God some people here are just irreparably stupid. What kind of stunted vitamin deficient pop-culture diet do you need to be on to come to so many fucking moronic conclusions. I'm afraid I'm going to get infected by the fucked up idiot radiation that permeates this thread.

200 years ago there were white abolitionists who devoted their entire lives to ending slavery. People like Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. Wilberforce spent twenty years introducing a bill to end slavery dozens and dozens of time before it was able to pass in 1807. Those were the good people.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

User avatar
Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Slavery is inherently dehumanizing and cruel, treating sentient beings as property with no agency over themselves. More than that it's almost always prejudiced toward certain groups and not equally represented, so even if you're not talking about American slavery you still get a little bit of that sweet sweet minority oppression.

Image

Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
The 10 year old slave is a demi-human, aka an anthropomorphized animal(in this case a tanuki). The country he resides in looks down upon and oppresses demi-humans, so yes his ends up enslaving already oppressed minorities while ticking off that furry fetish anime gets an rep for. Shield Hero is a giant incel fantasy series that includes some very edge lord abilities too boot(aka the Curse series shields).

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am

Not talking about in real life.

I said Nafomi is better than white slavers from 200 years ago and that the act of owning slaves didn't make one evil. Just like not everyone in word that commits a crime is a bad person.
God some people here are just irreparably stupid. What kind of stunted vitamin deficient pop-culture diet do you need to be on to come to so many fucking moronic conclusions. I'm afraid I'm going to get infected by the fucked up idiot radiation that permeates this thread.

200 years ago there were white abolitionists who devoted their entire lives to ending slavery. People like Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. Wilberforce spent twenty years introducing a bill to end slavery dozens and dozens of time before it was able to pass in 1807. Those were the good people.
I'm not deying that. I said Naofumi is not a bad person just because his friends are technically his slaves.

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm
Shaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Slavery is inherently dehumanizing and cruel, treating sentient beings as property with no agency over themselves. More than that it's almost always prejudiced toward certain groups and not equally represented, so even if you're not talking about American slavery you still get a little bit of that sweet sweet minority oppression.

Image

Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
The 10 year old slave is a demi-human, aka an anthropomorphized animal(in this case a tanuki). The country he resides in looks down upon and oppresses demi-humans, so yes his ends up enslaving already oppressed minorities while ticking off that furry fetish anime gets an rep for. Shield Hero is a giant incel fantasy series that includes some very edge lord abilities too boot(aka the Curse series shields).
To be fair, that applies to a LOT of popular anime. Hell, that basically describes the entirety of the harem genre. :lol:

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13607
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Harem anime are actually not very popular. Otaku prefer vanilla sex and other pure elements. Actually having a polygamous relationship isn't something I have ever seen outside of doujinshi, anyway.
She/Her | Popsicle Princess

User avatar
Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Captain Awesome wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am

Not talking about in real life.

I said Nafomi is better than white slavers from 200 years ago and that the act of owning slaves didn't make one evil. Just like not everyone in word that commits a crime is a bad person.
God some people here are just irreparably stupid. What kind of stunted vitamin deficient pop-culture diet do you need to be on to come to so many fucking moronic conclusions. I'm afraid I'm going to get infected by the fucked up idiot radiation that permeates this thread.

200 years ago there were white abolitionists who devoted their entire lives to ending slavery. People like Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. Wilberforce spent twenty years introducing a bill to end slavery dozens and dozens of time before it was able to pass in 1807. Those were the good people.
I'm not deying that. I said Naofumi is not a bad person just because his friends are technically his slaves.
He is bad person for keeping them in bondage. They don't have a choice, if they decide they want to move on with him for any reason, the slave crest will induce imaginable amounts of pain. They have no choice but to hitch themselves to Naofumi or suffer grave consequences to their well being.

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 2792
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
I'm gonna say its pretty lateral. Defending the 9/11 hijackers versus defending slavery: those two seem to roughly cancel one another out in terms of which is more brain-meltingly hideous, idiotic, and deranged.

Captain Awesome wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm
God some people here are just irreparably stupid. What kind of stunted vitamin deficient pop-culture diet do you need to be on to come to so many fucking moronic conclusions. I'm afraid I'm going to get infected by the fucked up idiot radiation that permeates this thread.
Cap now officially sounds exactly like where I was with this whole forum circa 2008/2009.

Captain Awesome wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm
200 years ago there were white abolitionists who devoted their entire lives to ending slavery. People like Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. Wilberforce spent twenty years introducing a bill to end slavery dozens and dozens of time before it was able to pass in 1807. Those were the good people.
I guarantee you that well under 30% of this forum (and that's a very generous estimate) has ANY fucking clue who ANY of those people are. Here's a quick (and only partial) checklist of just a sample of some of the famous and fairly modern day celebrities and public figures that I've actually, literally, and for real have had to hunker down and personally explain exactly who they are and why they're famous - on a very rudimentary level - to numerous users on here in off-forum convos back in the day at one time or another:

Akira Kurosawa
Al Pacino
Alfred Hitchcock
Aliyah
Aretha Franklin
Arthur Miller
Barbara Walters
Biggie Smalls
Bill Hicks
Billie Holiday
Billy Joel
Bob Woodward & Carl Bernstein
Cab Calloway
Charles Manson
Christopher Hitchens
Christopher Walken
Dan Quayle
Dan Rather
David Bowie
David Mamet
Dick Chaney
Donald Rumsfeld
Dr. Dre
Duke Ellington
Eazy-E
Ed Gein
Edward R. Murrow
Ella Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
George Carlin
Harvey Milk
Henry Kissinger
Howard Stern
Hunter S. Thompson
Ice Cube
Iggy Pop
J.D. Salinger
Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Jane Fonda
Janeane Garofalo
Janis Joplin
Jeffrey Dahmer
Jim Morrison
Joseph McCarthy
John Kerry
John Lennon
John Waters
Keith Olbermann
KRS-One
Kurt Cobain
Kurt Russell
Lauryn Hill
Little Richard
Louis Farrakhan
Malcolm X
Marsha P. Johnson
Martin Scorsese
Maya Angelou
Mel Brooks
Mikhail Gorbachev
Miles Davis
Monica Lewinsky
Muhammad Ali
Neil Simon
Peter Jennings
Phil Donahue
Prince
Princess Diana
Quentin Tarantino
Ray Charles
Ridley Scott
Roger Ebert
RZA
Salman Rushdie
Sam Kinison
Sean Penn
Spike Jonze
Spike Lee
Stanley Kubrick
Stevie Nicks
Sydney Lumet
Ted Bundy
Ted Kaczynski
Tennessee Williams
Terry Gilliam
Timothy McVeigh
Trent Reznor
Warren Beatty
Woody Allen

Now do you HONESTLY think - given some of the incredibly significant and ridiculously ubiquitous people I just listed above that I know for an absolute goddamn FACT that numerous folks from this forum (including a few very recognizable user names around here) have legitimately needed explained to them at various points within the last decade and change - that nearly ANYONE here will know who in the utter mother of fuck a bunch of 18th & 19th century abolitionists are and why what they did mattered so much?

I'll go you one better: do you honestly think that greater than half of this forum (and again, that's a GENEROUS estimate) even knows what the Abolitionist Movement even WAS in the first place? And if they do, what do you think the odds are that they only JUST found out this info from a Wikipedia article within roughly the past couple of years maybe? Christ, there are folks here who at one time had literally no earthly idea who motherfucking Oscar Wilde was until I tried explaining who he was to them.

Those of you guys here who exist outside of this thick membrane of ignorance have had a very hard time believing me on this issue, but let me once again assure you that I'm in NO WAY making any of this up: the level and degree to which a SIGNIFICANT portion of this community SOLELY pays any attention to or retains knowledge of Shonen anime, children's TV minutia, and blockbuster summer/superhero/children's animated films is genuinely stomach churning and existentially horrifying.

And yes, that kind of sheer ignorance and total lack of intellectual curiosity regarding basic facts and history about the world is most certainly indeed how you end up with some of the astonishingly gutter-level viewpoints and complete absence of critical thinking, social consciousness, or ethical understanding that we see not just in this particular thread, but really all over a great many corners of this community.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Captain Awesome wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:00 pm


God some people here are just irreparably stupid. What kind of stunted vitamin deficient pop-culture diet do you need to be on to come to so many fucking moronic conclusions. I'm afraid I'm going to get infected by the fucked up idiot radiation that permeates this thread.

200 years ago there were white abolitionists who devoted their entire lives to ending slavery. People like Thomas Clarkson, William Wilberforce and Granville Sharp. Wilberforce spent twenty years introducing a bill to end slavery dozens and dozens of time before it was able to pass in 1807. Those were the good people.
I'm not deying that. I said Naofumi is not a bad person just because his friends are technically his slaves.
He is bad person for keeping them in bondage. They don't have a choice, if they decide they want to move on with him for any reason, the slave crest will induce imaginable amounts of pain. They have no choice but to hitch themselves to Naofumi or suffer grave consequences to their well being.
They are bound to him but it is due to choice at that point in the series. Naofumi gives them the option to leave and the girls choose to stay with him. The slave Crest is a technically.

Cleo technically also started as a pet.
Last edited by miguelnuva1 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm
Shaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
I'm gonna say its pretty lateral. Defending the 9/11 hijackers versus defending slavery: those two seem to roughly cancel one another out in terms of which is more brain-meltingly hideous, idiotic, and deranged.


I didn't defend slavery in real.life, I defended the shield hero only as he isn't like slavers from real life.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Ok, not following here. What exactly do all these conversations/tangents on slavery and the like have to do with the discussion on Vic's misdeeds and the drama over his backfired court case specifically??? Seriously, i'm just wondering because it seems to happen every so often in this thread with derailing into other things that have nothing at all in relation to the topic at hand.

Just an honest observation, it's really making my head spin. :crazy:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
XanatosVanBadass
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:21 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:49 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm
Shaddy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm
Also, is this a better or worse turn for the topic than the al qaeda guy from before?
I'm gonna say its pretty lateral. Defending the 9/11 hijackers versus defending slavery: those two seem to roughly cancel one another out in terms of which is more brain-meltingly hideous, idiotic, and deranged.


I didn't defend slavery in real.life, I defended the shield hero only as he isn't like slavers from real life.
But you clearly don’t see how depicting a “good slaver” is dangerous? You don’t think normalizing a horrid institution (which this show DOES) is a BAD thing to let incels latch onto? Stop giving the right ANY ammo.

Locked