Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:So does someone will prosecute him already because with everyone speaking about his case I'd like to have his case dealing with for people to move on.

Twitter / ANN / Rangerboard / Facebook / Kanzenshuu / Reddit and other board speak about him and his rape behavior let's put him in jail and let's the victimes rebuild themselves. I know I know life is not that easy but I just wish it was.
This is kind of the problem.

People are taking an “Either he sexually assaulted women or he didn’t!” approach. And that’s....as far as I am aware (but anyone is free to correct me if I’m wrong and being ignorant on the subject) not the case. He didn’t (as far as we know?) rape anyone or sexually assaulted them) what he did do is use his position as an anime voice actor to hit on young teenager girls young enough to be his daughter and invade their personal space with zero regards for their consent or comfort.

Should he be banned from cons and fired? Abso fucking lutely.

Should he be thrown in jail? As far as I can tell no. He’s a goddamn creep who abuses his power not a rapist.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Scsigs wrote:. You can't blame them for shit they didn't know of. That's unfair.
It’s arguable that many people working for or at Funimation did know something. This shit didn’t come from nowhere and blindsight everyone like a vocal group wants to pretend it did.

That I said I pretty much agree with everything you said 110 percent
I mean, yeah, SOME, but then why did they continue to hire him until this shit blew up recently? Clearly it came as a shock to SOME of the people there, particularly the higher-ups in charge of casting, so I don't think it didn't come as a shock to anyone either.

But, yeah. It's unfair to think FUNi outright supports his acts just because they paid him for voice work in the past. That's like saying Disney did when they cast Louis CK in Gravity Falls, or Illumination did when they had him in The Secret Life of Pets. They most likely didn't know about HIS stuff, which was apparently floating around for years beforehand. Same with Vic.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Should he be banned from cons and fired? Abso fucking lutely.

Should he be thrown in jail? As far as I can tell no. He’s a goddamn creep who abuses his power not a rapist.
Agreed with this by the way. Given the level/degree of harassment at play here, I don't think it warrants anything nearly as harsh as jail time either. Maybe a fine/lawsuit at the ABSOLUTE worst if any of the girls he's groped/kissed wants to take it that far (and they have every right to of course, provided the statute of limitations hasn't run out on their particular case).

Absolutely though, he should be fired and barred from attending conventions. Without question.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
Vic is a dub actor, not the face of Dragon Ball. I don’t see why one asshole dub actor ruins an entire series for you, unless you’re primarily a dub only guy.
I live in the U.S., so if I support Dragon Ball, I’m supporting FUNimation, and I don’t want to at this point.
I mean, it's not like you're giving VIC your money. As per the rules of anime dub voice acting, they don't have to pay their actors royalties, even if they're union, due to it being a show or movie that's already done in another language first. You're still paying FUNi, but it's unlikely your money will be going directly to him, since they've already paid him for the voice work. It's not like FUNi backs up his actions or anything either. They're just a company & he's just someone they contracted to be in some of their dubs in a time where these things weren't at the forefronts of everyone's minds. You can't blame them for shit they didn't know of. That's unfair.
It’s not just Mignogna’s actions on their own. I don’t want to have be a fan of a franchise where this kind of drama is becoming the norm. I’ve become incredibly numb to all of the MeToo stuff in the news. For the last year and a half, it seems like not a day has gone by where I didn’t have to hear about how a bunch of famous people can’t keep their horniness (or their anger, in the case of the ones accused of domestic violence) to themselves, and it’s become incredibly frustrating to hear about, especially when people try to inject politics into them. I can’t even begin to describe how sick I was of all the nonstop chatter about that Brett Kavanaugh guy last fall, or how politicians on both the right and left have constantly been weaponzing this stuff.

For a while, I was hoping that Dragon Ball would be the one thing where I wouldn’t have to hear about all these uncomfortable stories with all these unnecessary political arguments attached to them, but now, here in 2019, we have all these “Vic Mignogna is a creep, believe the victim” and “Vic Mignogna is innocent and the people attacking him are SJWs” arguments, and it’s incredibly frustrating for someone who just wants to enjoy a goofy franchise about fighting.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Has there been any word as to how the Super Broly movie will be released? Vic's lines won't get replaced, will they?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

SMKirbyZX wrote:Has there been any word as to how the Super Broly movie will be released? Vic's lines won't get replaced, will they?
More than likely they’ll release it as is and just not draw attention to the fact that Mignogna’s name is attached.

I can only see Funimation going to the length of redubbing all of Brocolli’s lines if they think they’ll lose a significant amount of dough otherwise.

And really I don’t think your average Dragon Ball fan and consumer...the ones who grew up with the show on Toonami and got excited for Super but likely don’t care for anything before Z and don’t know the actors names outside of maybe Schemmel and Sabat even know who Vic is or that this is a thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
I live in the U.S., so if I support Dragon Ball, I’m supporting FUNimation, and I don’t want to at this point.
I mean, it's not like you're giving VIC your money. As per the rules of anime dub voice acting, they don't have to pay their actors royalties, even if they're union, due to it being a show or movie that's already done in another language first. You're still paying FUNi, but it's unlikely your money will be going directly to him, since they've already paid him for the voice work. It's not like FUNi backs up his actions or anything either. They're just a company & he's just someone they contracted to be in some of their dubs in a time where these things weren't at the forefronts of everyone's minds. You can't blame them for shit they didn't know of. That's unfair.
It’s not just Mignogna’s actions on their own. I don’t want to have be a fan of a franchise where this kind of drama is becoming the norm. I’ve become incredibly numb to all of the MeToo stuff in the news. For the last year and a half, it seems like not a day has gone by where I didn’t have to hear about how a bunch of famous people can’t keep their horniness (or their anger, in the case of the ones accused of domestic violence) to themselves, and it’s become incredibly frustrating to hear about, especially when people try to inject politics into them. I can’t even begin to describe how sick I was of all the nonstop chatter about that Brett Kavanaugh guy last fall, or how politicians on both the right and left have constantly been weaponzing this stuff.

For a while, I was hoping that Dragon Ball would be the one thing where I wouldn’t have to hear about all these uncomfortable stories with all these unnecessary political arguments attached to them, but now, here in 2019, we have all these “Vic Mignogna is a creep, believe the victim” and “Vic Mignogna is innocent and the people attacking him are SJWs” arguments, and it’s incredibly frustrating for someone who just wants to enjoy a goofy franchise about fighting.
Then just watch/read DB and don't read the BTS stories.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I mean, it's not like you're giving VIC your money. As per the rules of anime dub voice acting, they don't have to pay their actors royalties, even if they're union, due to it being a show or movie that's already done in another language first. You're still paying FUNi, but it's unlikely your money will be going directly to him, since they've already paid him for the voice work. It's not like FUNi backs up his actions or anything either. They're just a company & he's just someone they contracted to be in some of their dubs in a time where these things weren't at the forefronts of everyone's minds. You can't blame them for shit they didn't know of. That's unfair.

Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:05 pm

I recommend everyone interested in this topic watch this video. It isn't in favor of either side, but pretty much just says how if you don't know really know anything about the topic you should withhold your judgment, and you shouldn't say Vic is innocent, but you shouldn't condemn him either. It's a good watch with real life examples, one of which with Vic himself. If anyone watches it let me know what you personally think about the video, but I tend to agree, none of us here who don't actually know anything personally on the matter really can't say anything either way. The victim's and their allegations need to be taken seriously, but Vic's side of the story needs to be taken seriously as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWjBner5wo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Then disconnect from this forum for a bit. The only place I read about this issue was here. I'm sure it's going around the net, but it's very possible to not be inundated with this issue if you don't go looking for it. It's not exactly front page news. Mignona's name has only become prevalent in certain VERY limited circles.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:33 pm

ABED wrote:Then disconnect from this forum for a bit. The only place I read about this issue was here. I'm sure it's going around the net, but it's very possible to not be inundated with this issue if you don't go looking for it. It's not exactly front page news. Mignona's name has only become prevalent in certain VERY limited circles.
This. Outside of anime message boards or twitter (where you have to be following people in the business or go out of your way to look for it) I haven’t seen this discussed anywhere. It’s not that big of a news story (which also makes the “all these women are obviously lying for attention/to ruin Vic because this came rigt as Super Broly was released conspiracy nutcases even more frustrating)

You can pop in your Dragon Ball Z dvds (except maybe the Broly movies) and not even have to think or hear about it

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:49 pm

ABED wrote:Then disconnect from this forum for a bit. The only place I read about this issue was here. I'm sure it's going around the net, but it's very possible to not be inundated with this issue if you don't go looking for it. It's not exactly front page news. Mignona's name has only become prevalent in certain VERY limited circles.
I am planning on disconnecting from Kanzenshuu for a bit. I just figured I’d first address how much of an uncomfortable mess this entire situation is. With that being said, this isn’t where I first heard about this KickVic stuff. I first heard about it after I Googled Dragon Ball Super: Broly, so as far as Dragon Ball is concerned, hearing about this stuff is much more difficult to avoid.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Not saying you're wrong, but I just googled DBS: Broly and didn't see anything about KickVic.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:28 pm

I am not sure what people mean by limited circles. If you mean did it make national news then no. But it’s certainly bigger than Dragon Ball fandom (and that’s pretty big in itself) it’s all over anime fandom on places like Twitter and Facebook.

Vic is actually a pretty big voice actor. I mean besides voicing Broly he voiced Edward Elric. So anime fans definitely know who is. I guess it depends on your perception of big. But Vic was a popular VA and very well known in anime fandom.

And note I don’t think these women are lying or there is any conspiracy against Vic. I think that is ridiculous. I’ve been hearing stories about Vic for years. So yeah a conspiracy about Vic from all these unconnected people over a period of years sounds like complete nonsense to me. I’ve even seen people say people are attacking Vic because of Broly which is especially ridiculous since some of the other VAs who have spoken out against Vic like Monica Rial are also in Broly.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Just read that Vic M. was fired from FUNimation, huh. And Rooster Teeth also dismissed him from RWBY (not that I care about this show, it looks like shit to me).

I guess that was to be expected from everything surrounding him but FUNi's Broly without Vic won't be exactly the same anymore.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:25 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
I guess that was to be expected from everything surrounding him but FUNi's Broly without Vic won't be exactly the same anymore.
That's the point.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Kinokima wrote:I am not sure what people mean by limited circles. If you mean did it make national news then no. But it’s certainly bigger than Dragon Ball fandom (and that’s pretty big in itself) it’s all over anime fandom on places like Twitter and Facebook.

Vic is actually a pretty big voice actor. I mean besides voicing Broly he voiced Edward Elric. So anime fans definitely know who is. I guess it depends on your perception of big. But Vic was a popular VA and very well known in anime fandom.

And note I don’t think these women are lying or there is any conspiracy against Vic. I think that is ridiculous. I’ve been hearing stories about Vic for years. So yeah a conspiracy about Vic from all these unconnected people over a period of years sounds like complete nonsense to me. I’ve even seen people say people are attacking Vic because of Broly which is especially ridiculous since some of the other VAs who have spoken out against Vic like Monica Rial are also in Broly.
Vic is not a big voice actor. Unless you do research, you wouldn't know his name. And while DB's fandom is big, most fans of the series are satisfied with watching the show and don't bother looking into the names of the actors. It's easier than you think to not hear about it if you don't want to.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:

Given how active the KickVic thing has been, these stories are pretty much impossible to avoid at this point. This thread alone is at nearly 40 pages, which I’d say is a testament to how prominent Vic Mignogna’s name has become. I know that we’re obviously supposed to seperate works of fiction from reality, but I’ve found that increasingly difficult to do lately. Thats why I think the best decision for myself is to take a break from Dragon Ball.
Don’t click on the thread if you don’t want to see it. Literally all you have to do.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:54 pm

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Vignogna and Taberkorn are thankfully being removed from fandom spaces. I hope that remains so for our continued safety. I hope it becomes feasible to prosecute them in court.
He didn't commit anything you could really pursue in court, or at least, there's no clear evidence that I'm aware of that he committed any sort of federal offense or anything of the sort. Nothing that he did constitutes sexual assault. Being rude, socially inappropriate, or giving unsolicited piggyback rides or kisses on the forehead aren't exactly things you see prosecuted in court. Obviously, his conduct isn't right, but this isn't something that would be pursued in court based on what I've seen thus far.

But then again, I haven't heard from Monica Rial yet, and I'm not sure if she has spoken on it yet.
That's fucked up. Makes my skin crawl.
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.